FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE]RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK), Bootloader, Custom Recoveries, Firmware and Root

2,690 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,444

By NepoRood, Forum Moderator on 1st March 2016, 12:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th July 2016, 11:01 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK), Bootloader, Custom Recoveries, Firmware
What do you mean by firmware "V36-1.9.21?" Are referring to the build number? I do not see any firmware listed in the About the tablet" of the setting of my Maven Pro.

thanks,

Rao

15th July 2016, 11:10 PM |#22  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoPS

What do you mean by firmware "V36-1.9.21?" Are referring to the build number? I do not see any firmware listed in the About the tablet" of the setting of my Maven Pro.

thanks,

Rao

Yes, its the last part of build #

Sent from my DROID Turbo using XDA-Developers mobile app
16th July 2016, 04:01 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

thanks,

Rao

Yes, the build number contains the version. If you see anything regarding to V9 or V12 on the thread, we're talking about the 2nd number after the dash (Vxx-x.X.x). These are different revisions with different firmware images that aren't compatible with each other.
Also, if you have a version NepoRood doesn't have in the Stock Firmware post, let him know. It'll help a LOT!
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowCX11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShadowCX11 Ad-Free
16th July 2016, 05:08 PM |#24  

More
Reunlock, root, install SuperSU, flash custom ROM on Maven Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCX11

Yes, the build number contains the version. If you see anything regarding to V9 or V12 on the thread, we're talking about the 2nd number after the dash (Vxx-x.X.x). These are different revisions with different firmware images that aren't compatible with each other.
Also, if you have a version NepoRood doesn't have in the Stock Firmware post, let him know. It'll help a LOT!

Regarding unlock, root, install SuperSU and flashing custom ROM on Maven Pro. I am not exactly a newcomer for this (I did just this on a Nexus 5 tablet, using TWRP, adb and fastboot on my Ubuntu laptop. It took me 5 days though, I am only 77). I have a lot of questions about the procedure given by Senior Member NepoRood and others. I hope the other members have the patience to answer my questions. Thanks to NepoRood, ShadowCX11 & all for the replies to my previous question.

Questions.
First and foremost, my Maven Pro (using either USB port) is not recognized from my Ubuntu Laptop. USB debugging is enabled on the tablet. Neither of the commands adb devicess/fastboot devices, gets a response from the tablet. No prompt appears on the tablet to authorize my laptop for USB debugging (as it did with Nexus 5 tablet). Does the tablet require special drivers on Ubuntu OS (or on Windows 10)?

My tablet firmware version is V68-V1.12.30-B. Do the procedures of NepoRood and others apply to it? Do I have to do the "patching" fix of Custom_Maven_V36-1.9.21.zip?

I would like to know what the different downloads are for before following the procedure.

Does the procedure install/flash a custom ROM (not from Cyanogenmod) on the tablet? Which organization developed this? In what way is it better from the one already on the tablet?

After reading around, it seems to me that Maven Pro is MTK-based and requires(may be) modified TWRP recovery on the tablet (rather than original TWRP) to install this and flash custom ROM requires SP flash tools.
Do adb and fastboot (commands on Ubuntu/Windows 10) work with the Maven Pro?
Do I understand it right?
Is it true t that I can use the downloads on Windows computer only?
I prefer to be on Ubuntu (the 5-second window of time of the preloader is too fast for me).

Thanks!
16th July 2016, 07:01 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

Regarding unlock, root, install SuperSU and flashing custom ROM on Maven Pro. I am not exactly a newcomer for this (I did just this on a Nexus 5 tablet, using TWRP, adb and fastboot on my Ubuntu laptop. It took me 5 days though, I am only 77). I have a lot of questions about the procedure given by Senior Member NepoRood and others. I hope the other members have the patience to answer my questions. Thanks to NepoRood, ShadowCX11 & all for the replies to my previous question.

Questions.
First and foremost, my Maven Pro (using either USB port) is not recognized from my Ubuntu Laptop. USB debugging is enabled on the tablet. Neither of the commands adb devicess/fastboot devices, gets a response from the tablet. No prompt appears on the tablet to authorize my laptop for USB debugging (as it did with Nexus 5 tablet). Does the tablet require special drivers on Ubuntu OS (or on Windows 10)?

My tablet firmware version is V68-V1.12.30-B. Do the procedures of NepoRood and others apply to it? Do I have to do the "patching" fix of Custom_Maven_V36-1.9.21.zip?

I would like to know what the different downloads are for before following the procedure.

Does the procedure install/flash a custom ROM (not from Cyanogenmod) on the tablet? Which organization developed this? In what way is it better from the one already on the tablet?

After reading around, it seems to me that Maven Pro is MTK-based and requires(may be) modified TWRP recovery on the tablet (rather than original TWRP) to install this and flash custom ROM requires SP flash tools.
Do adb and fastboot (commands on Ubuntu/Windows 10) work with the Maven Pro?
Do I understand it right?
Is it true t that I can use the downloads on Windows computer only?
I prefer to be on Ubuntu (the 5-second window of time of the preloader is too fast for me).

Thanks!

So you'll definitely need Windows (sorry if that's a problem). You need to do the lk.bin patch under a Windows environment. Fastboot does not allow flashing on the RCA, so that won't work. If you have rooted your tablet, you can use dd to flash the custom lk.bin, however, it will only really allow flashing a custom recovery. SP Flash Tool will also work if the checksum is disabled in checksum.ini, but I believe it's Windows exclusive (could be wrong). All ROMs for the V12 are stock, and we have no kernel source, so compiling a custom ROM will never happen. There is no benefit to using the stock ROM backups instead of the one already preinstalled. adb works on the tablet if you install the correct ADB drivers, but I don't know where they can be found on Ubuntu. TWRP and CWM are pre-compiled, and you can easily flash them with dd as well. You have to download the V12 ROM under the stock post for your tablet if you want to patch lk.bin. Do note that lk.bin corresponds with the uboot (micro boot) partition on the device if you flash with dd.

Hope this answers your questions.

Sent from the XDA Mobile app on my V12 RCA 11 Maven Pro
16th July 2016, 07:18 PM |#26  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle

Donate to Me
More
@RaoPS I think it's awesome that you are "in the game"

@ShadowCX11 more or less nailed the response. But I wanted to include some stuff:

There's currently no custom roms, firmware I have in the OP comes from China (just like these RCA Tabs), there is a Linux version of the SP Flashtool, I use it often (will add to the "Download" link here in a bit, got something else uploading now).

I can't remember if you have to add special rules or not, but there's a post here on XDA that covers using it on Linux. Also, fastboot does work, you just have to reboot to bootloader, any of the recoveries will work (including stock). As for ADB, that's all an RCA thing, you can use the "ADB over WiFi" app from the play store, can't remember which, but it's really not needed since we have the flash tool.

You shouldn't have to flash whole firmware just to unlock your bootloader (I could be wrong on that though), all you need is a patched lk.bin file (Shadow might share his...)

Any further questions, or if we've managed to just totally confuse you, post. I'm always hanging around

Regards,
Nepo
17th July 2016, 10:00 PM |#27  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle

Donate to Me
More
@RaoPS

Sorry, it took me longer than I intended, I've got several projects going at the moment. I managed to upload the Linux version of the SP Flash Tool, it's in the Download link.
19th July 2016, 08:43 PM |#28  

More
Maven pro usb connectivity
Quote:
Originally Posted by NepoRood

@RaoPS

Sorry, it took me longer than I intended, I've got several projects going at the moment. I managed to upload the Linux version of the SP Flash Tool, it's in the Download link.

Very sorry to say this but I still have a lot questions which can wait for later. But I am in no hurry. and hope you can answer them later. But regarding the USB connectivity, I sent an email to RCA support and received the following reply,

Dear S ,

We have a special cable made for the RCT6213w87DKF series, it is a usb2usb cable specially made to connect the tablet to a pc.
The cost is $20.00 and if its a go please follow the information below:
----------------
Dear Dale,

Thank you for contacting RCA Support.

To order part(s)/accessories, we need the following information:

Full Name:
Full Address: (physical address only, PO box is not accepted)
Phone#:
Brand Name:
Model Number:
Part(s) Needed:

I will then setup an order for you and a follow up email will be sent to you on how to pay for the order either online or by personal check.

***Simply Reply to the Original Email, Do Not Create a New Email***

Regards,
Paul
Customer Service Associate
Does the Maven Pro really require a special USB cable?
Thanks,

S. Rao P
19th July 2016, 08:58 PM |#29  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

What You Said

No, no special cable is required. Sorry about my earlier post, I was confusing the Maven with the Viking (no adb for Viking without WiFi app)

I can connect to the Maven just fine (it shows up as MT65XX Android Phone) using my Micro USB cable, which came with one of the phones lying around here.

DON"T buy a cable from RCA and see attachments below.

If you're using linux, you just have to set up some stuff, I'll try to find the link to the guide I used and get back to you. Also, questions are good, it helps other people out that might be having same issue

Regards,
Nepo

EDIT:
Here's the Guide I used, even though I couldn't get the flash tool to work unless using sudo (ie: sudo ./flash_tool). Not only will it help you to set up the SP Flash Tool, it'll also help your linux machine recognize your Maven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maven_1.png
Views:	136
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	3817703   Click image for larger version

Name:	maven_2.png
Views:	140
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	3817704  
19th July 2016, 11:49 PM |#30  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NepoRood

No, no special cable is required. Sorry about my earlier post, I was confusing the Maven with the Viking (no adb for Viking without WiFi app)

I can connect to the Maven just fine (it shows up as MT65XX Android Phone) using my Micro USB cable, which came with one of the phones lying around here.

DON"T buy a cable from RCA and see attachments below.

If you're using linux, you just have to set up some stuff, I'll try to find the link to the guide I used and get back to you. Also, questions are good, it helps other people out that might be having same issue

Regards,
Nepo

EDIT:
Here's the Guide I used, even though I couldn't get the flash tool to work unless using sudo (ie: sudo ./flash_tool). Not only will it help you to set up the SP Flash Tool, it'll also help your linux machine recognize your Maven

=========================
I followed the instructions to install USB drivers (suggested by Senior Member Miss Montage: sudo apt-get install libusb-dev; echo $? returned 0) my Maven Pro was not recognized; the mount command doesn't show Maven Pro but does show my USB storage device.

In Windows 10, the device manager shows it as an unrecognized device. So, it could be a matter of drivers. Your post did say that some drivers have to be installed. Your post suggested several downloads (zip files, img files. I downloaded all of them and processed the zip/rar files as you suggested. A lot of files were created as a result in folders named with extensions of zip/rar dropped.
It seems to me only a few of the files are really needed apart from the img files but it is not clear to me which are to be used from where. I will post my questions later.
May be after I install the drivers, with luck, the tablet will be recognized in Windows 10.
I know as little about Ubuntu 16.04 as about Windows 10.
Thanks a lot for your patience.

Rao
20th July 2016, 12:06 AM |#31  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Bugtussle

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

=========================
I followed the instructions to install USB drivers (suggested by Senior Member Miss Montage: sudo apt-get install libusb-dev; echo $? returned 0) my Maven Pro was not recognized; the mount command doesn't show Maven Pro but does show my USB storage device.

In Windows 10, the device manager shows it as an unrecognized device. So, it could be a matter of drivers. Your post did say that some drivers have to be installed. Your post suggested several downloads (zip files, img files. I downloaded all of them and processed the zip/rar files as you suggested. A lot of files were created as a result in folders named with extensions of zip/rar dropped.
It seems to me only a few of the files are really needed apart from the img files but it is not clear to me which are to be used from where. I will post my questions later.
May be after I install the drivers, with luck, the tablet will be recognized in Windows 10.
I know as little about Ubuntu 16.04 as about Windows 10.
Thanks a lot for your patience.

Rao

No problem friend, just FYI: Windows and Android don't play all that well together. Granted, there's been some most excellent dev's that have done some great things for using the Win platform, using Linux is always going to be better. My Win10 machine doesn't recognize my Maven either, only way I can use adb is using Linux (or WiFi App)

The main thing about the guide I linked is setting up the "android rules", this is what makes all things possible. Which is the only "real" problem I have with Linux. You can't simply "install" stuff like you do using Windows (got all that terminal crap) you have to use the package manager from which ever flavor of Linux you're using.

MTK is a "tough nut to crack" and all the folks at RCA are a "Bunch of Freakin' Idiots" (<-- IMHO) I'll try to help you do this
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
firmware, mavenpro, rca, recovery, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)