[GUIDE]RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK), Bootloader, Custom Recoveries, Firmware and Root

Search This thread

NepoRood

Recognized Contributor / Retired Forum Moderator
SPECIAL KNO'DIS: This Guide has been changed to refelct proper installation for both types of Maven Pro tablets, be Sure to follow the appropriate guide.

For the purpose of this guide, I'll assume you already have working ADB and Fastboot on your PC, if not, you'll need to set that up first. This guide doesn't cover installation of ether of those. If you're looking for the guide to the Viking Pro (RCT6303W87DK), go here.

KNO'DIS: I, OR ANYONE ELSE AT XDA, WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR "BRICKING" YOUR TABLET!! IF YOU MANAGE TO MAKE A BRICK, DUE TO YOUR "FUN-DA-MENTAL" INABILITY TO READ, GO BUILD A BBQ PIT WITH IT!!
(Or ask for help, there's a lot of friendly people around here)​

So, without further ado, lets get started. First, you'll need to know which version of firmware your device is running, this can be found in 2 different ways. From a running device go to: Settings/About tablet and look at the Build number. Or you can boot into stock recovery and the firmware version will be at the top left of the screen.

You should see something like the following, and note the 2nd number after the 2nd "V":
Code:
RCT6213W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V37-V1.9.30 <-- This is x.9.x version of firmware

or

RCT6213W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V68-V1.12.30-B <-- This is x.12.x version of firmware
Now that you know which firmware you have, follow the approriate guide below. I've broken this post into 2 different sections, as each tablet is just a little bit different.

About the Bootloader

This applies to both versions of firmware and tablet users. Turns out, the booloader doesn't have to be unlocked in order to install a custom recovery or root the device. So there's really no reason to unlock it, and I have removed that portion of this guide.

Installing MTK Preloader Signed Drivers

Drivers located Here

x.9.x Versions

Steps (Windows 8/8.1/10): For step 2 you will have less than five seconds. Preloader mode is only active for a few seconds. So read first!

1- Extract the drivers to the Desktop and open the Device Manager ("right click" on the Start button, select "Device Manager")

2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug in the micro USB on the tablet, the other to the USB port on the PC, now very quickly in the device manager locate the new device and right click on it. For me, it showed up under "Other devices" and read MT65XX.

3- Select "update driver software" then select "browse my computer for driver software" (make sure "Include subfolders" is selected.

4- Click "Browse..." and navigate to where you extracted the driver zip. You "should" be at the following path: Desktop/MTK Preloader Signed Drivers

5- Click on "OK" then "Next". The driver should install at this point. Once that is done, unplug the usb cable from the pc (I find it easier to just keep the micro in the tablet).

x.12.x Versions (Requires Full size Male-to-Male USB Cable)

Steps (Windows 8/8.1/10): For step 2 you will have less than five seconds. Preloader mode is only active for a few seconds. So read first!

1- Extract the drivers to the Desktop and open the Device Manager ("right click" on the Start button, select "Device Manager")

2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug in the full size USB cable to both the tablet and the PC.

3- Plug the micro USB into the tablet, the other to another USB port on the PC, now very quickly in the device manager locate the new device and right click on it. For me, it showed up under "Other devices" and read MT65XX.

4- Select "update driver software" then select "browse my computer for driver software" (make sure "Include subfolders" is selected.

5- Click "Browse..." and navigate to where you extracted the driver zip. You "should" be at the following path: Desktop/MTK Preloader Signed Drivers

6- Click on "OK" then "Next". The driver should install at this point. Once that is done, unplug both USB cables from the PC (I find it easier to just keep them in the tablet).

Installing TWRP

Firmware/TWRP Downloads

Maven x.9.x (Currently Contains: V37-1.9.30 and TWRP)

Maven x.12.x
(Currently Contains: V63-V1.12.0-20150802 and V66-1.12.20-B-20150831 Firmware and TWRP)
Special Thanks to: @ShadowCX11 for testing for me.

Be sure you are using the appropriate TWRP for your version of firmware, and do the following:

1- Extract the firmware and the SP Flash Tool to your desktop.

2- Start the SP Flash Tool, and where it says "scatter file loading" click and navigate to the folder where you have the firmware and load the scatter file (depending on device, it could be in the "Images" folder).

3- Once that is done, uncheck everything, and select "recovery" only, from the list, navigate to the TWRP image file and click "Open", then click on the download button.

4- Plug the USB cable(s)* back into your PC. At this point the flash tool will load the recovery to the tablet. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING UNTIL THE FLASH TOOL SHOWS YOU A GREEN CHECK MARK TO INDICATE THAT IT IS DONE, OR YOUR TABLET COULD BE HARD BRICKED AND IRREPARABLE.

5- After you get your check mark, unplug and boot into recovery, hold the Volume + and Power button. When splash screen comes up (the 2 dogs) release the power button.

6- Welcome to TWRP

*Remember, x.12.x requires 2 USB cables to work

ROOT

You can get root by flashing the latest SuperSu zip file located here, be sure to download the flashable zip.

Otherwise, for root, you can use the KingRoot app located here, (get the apk, or "Download for Android") and if you don't want a Chinesse Super User app, you can replace it with the ChainFire SuperSu by going here.
NOTE: This method of replacing KingRoot with SuperSu no longer works properly, and results in a bricked device.

Device Tree
GitHub

CREDITS
@vampirefo (for the CWM Recovery and teaching me about TWRP, there would be no recoveries if it wasn't for him!)
@Bogram (for the lk.bin patch trick)
@smartmanvartan (for the flashing guide)

Last edited:

equinox13

Aug 13, 2010
Oak Grove, MO
Hello! I've had my Maven Pro for a couple months now and I still haven't rooted it like I have with the rest of my devices. I'd love to do it too, but reviewing your instructions, I found that my version number is way different. V66-V1.12.20-B. will that version patch tool still work for it? is there an update that it's refusing to download? Thanks!

Edit: on top of this, i can't get it to even connect (step 2) with any of my microUSB cables. (they work with my other devices)

Last edited:

NepoRood

Hello! I've had my Maven Pro for a couple months now and I still haven't rooted it like I have with the rest of my devices. I'd love to do it too, but reviewing your instructions, I found that my version number is way different. V66-V1.12.20-B. will that version patch tool still work for it? is there an update that it's refusing to download? Thanks!

Edit: on top of this, i can't get it to even connect (step 2) with any of my microUSB cables. (they work with my other devices)

Ooh, a v12, sorry friend, lol. Make sure the tablet is off, and be ready with "Device Manager" open, the preloader only shows up for a bit, then it disappears. The patch tool should still work for you, but the TWRP recovery may not. If it doesn't, the CWM recovery will after I modify it, because it's non-touch.

If neither recovery works for you, you can give me a copy of your "boot.img" file, and I can convert TWRP or CWM to work on your tablet. Also, I've changed the guide up top to include other root methods.

If you have any trouble, by all mean, post, and I'll try to help you through it :)

Regards,
Nepo

EDIT:
A friend found some V12 firmware, and I'll be uploading it soon. I can get a boot.img file from it to make a recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snigglez

GartimusPrime

Sep 2, 2012
My maven pro is stuck in a bootloop after I rooted now I don't know what to do. I can't even shut it down :(

NepoRood

My maven pro is stuck in a bootloop after I rooted now I don't know what to do. I can't even shut it down :(

You can reflash firmware while it is in a bootloop, I've done this many times. If you have everything set up, drivers, SP Flash Tool, firmware, etc..

Do the following:

1) Startup the Flash Tool and Load your firmware, as described in the OP (be sure to "uncheck" the Preloader)

2) Plug in your micro USB cable to both the PC and the tablet

3) Press and hold the "Reset" button located on the back

4) Click the Download button, then let go of the reset button, it should start flashing the firmware.

If it doesn't the first time, retry steps 3 and 4. I've had it fail the first time before, but work on the second.

Good Luck and let me know how it goes. Also, if the battery is completely drained by the time you read this, just flash firmware normally (again, uncheck the preloader). The tablet has to be powered off to flash it anyway.

Regards
Nepo

Reactions: GartimusPrime

ShadowCX11

May 25, 2015
So after reflashing my tablet (a Canadian V12 that had V68, and flashed to V66 trying to unlock the boot loader and install CWM), USB doesn't work. The port doesn't output any voltage, and neither does the keyboard connector. The tablet acts like nothing is there, as does the PS3 controller I tried. Also, before, Firmware Update would say there's no updated firmware. Now, it doesn't seem to do anything. I flashed every partition except preloader, MBR and ebr, and the sec partitions. Do I have to reflash again, or is there something else I can do?
On a completely different note, I tried flashing a patched lk.bin, and it failed with an error I don't remember (I had temporary access to a PC).
One more thing that was quite interesting to me. It seems if you reboot into recovery or bootloader from Android (APM+ or root), you're then able to access the recovery with Power + Vol. Up. Is this known, or was it a fluke?

NepoRood

So after reflashing my tablet (a Canadian V12 that had V68, and flashed to V66 trying to unlock the boot loader and install CWM), USB doesn't work. The port doesn't output any voltage, and neither does the keyboard connector. The tablet acts like nothing is there, as does the PS3 controller I tried. Also, before, Firmware Update would say there's no updated firmware. Now, it doesn't seem to do anything. I flashed every partition except preloader, MBR and ebr, and the sec partitions. Do I have to reflash again, or is there something else I can do?
On a completely different note, I tried flashing a patched lk.bin, and it failed with an error I don't remember (I had temporary access to a PC).
One more thing that was quite interesting to me. It seems if you reboot into recovery or bootloader from Android (APM+ or root), you're then able to access the recovery with Power + Vol. Up. Is this known, or was it a fluke?

No USB is a new one on me, I wish I had a x.12 version of this tablet to test on (mine's x.9) I'd try a re-flash, this time, do everything but the preloader, the reason for not flashing a preloader is because it sometimes semi-bricks one of these tablets.

Interesting note, there was a guy on the Viking thread (RCT6303W87DK) that flashed CWM without unlocking his bootloader, and everything is working fine for him...

Regards,
Nepo

PS, Power + Vol Up is the standard way to enter recovery on this device (I have the Xposed APM+ apk installed too)

ShadowCX11

May 25, 2015
No USB is a new one on me, I wish I had a x.12 version of this tablet to test on (mine's x.9) I'd try a re-flash, this time, do everything but the preloader, the reason for not flashing a preloader is because it sometimes semi-bricks one of these tablets.

Interesting note, there was a guy on the Viking thread (RCT6303W87DK) that flashed CWM without unlocking his bootloader, and everything is working fine for him...

Regards,
Nepo

PS, Power + Vol Up is the standard way to enter recovery on this device (I have the Xposed APM+ apk installed too)

So just a quick question: Is the device /dev/recovery for sure recovery? I want to see if I can just use dd to flash recovery.

NepoRood

So just a quick question: Is the device /dev/recovery for sure recovery? I want to see if I can just use dd to flash recovery.

Yes, to pull a copy from a running tablet you use dd, and the path is: /dev/recovery

So, I'd do it this way, using adb:
Code:
adb push NAME_OF_RECOVERY.img /data/local/tmp

# Wait for it, then type:

adb shell

#Followed by:

dd if=/data/local/tmp/NAME_OF_RECOVERY.img of=/dev/recovery

#After it finishes:

reboot recovery

Last edited:
Reactions: wesley-pierce

NepoRood

It's in landscape, and works quite well! I just like the touch interface a bit more. I'll try the kernel replacement.

I prefer TWRP as well, that's why I built it ;)

The only reason I don't have one posted for x.12 users is I can't test it. If you get it to work properly, let me know and I'll add it to the OP so others can benefit. :good:

If not, I can do some builds for you to test, if you don't mind. I have the x.12 kernel in my repo

ShadowCX11

May 25, 2015
I prefer TWRP as well, that's why I built it ;)

The only reason I don't have one posted for x.12 users is I can't test it. If you get it to work properly, let me know and I'll add it to the OP so others can benefit. :good:

If not, I can do some builds for you to test, if you don't mind. I have the x.12 kernel in my repo
Yeah, I can't figure out how to extract the kernel, because I don't usually have access to a PC. However, I'll take some testing builds if you can make them.
Also, back to the USB issue, a reflash of everything except preloader didn't fix it. However, checking the firmware update now tells me that this is the latest version (which is definitely wrong, since I had v68). It must be an incompatibility between the USA and Canadian variants. If you find a Canadian firm dump, can you send me a link?

---
Hmm, okay.

So I just took a look at the model number on my box, and it's RCT5213W87DKF. That extra letter is what changes this a bit. I'll try seeing what I can dig up in terms of OTA updates, and I'll keep posting about what I find.

---
Okay, so after a few packet captures, I found the tablet makes a GET request to http://tablet12.gyrodock.com:2300/OtaUpdater/android?device=RCT6213W87DK with the User-Agent rk29sdk/4.0, but the server returns a 404 page. When I do this in the browser, however, I get something quite peculiar happen, which interests me. Most of the other places on the site return a Tomcat 404 that has the path in the parenthesis. However, for the OTA URL, it just has empty parenthesis. POST requests to that URL return a 200 OK with no return data, which is also interesting. I'll keep hunting around.

Last edited:

ShadowCX11

May 25, 2015
Some people might not have a PC to run flash_tool on, so here's how you can flash recovery/uboot/mbr/ebr2/logo/sec_ro from within Android
I'll use recovery as an example. I'm using a V12 tablet, so steps might be different if you have a V9. I tried to make this guide as revision-agnostic as possible, so correct me if I mess something up.
  1. Root your device. The method I use is KingRoot, because it doesn't require any weird things. You can uninstall KingRoot and flash SuperSU later.
  2. Download a recovery image. Make sure if you have a V12 tablet, you download a recovery image for V12, and a V9 recovery for a V9 tablet, or you'll brick your recovery. I personally prefer TWRP, because it has more features and a nicer UI, but CWM works too.
  3. Get shell access. You can use a terminal emulator.
  4. Type in su, and give the terminal superuser access on your device.
  5. Type in dd if=/sdcard/Download/mavenVY_XXX.img of=/dev/recovery, where Y is 9 or 12, and XXX is CWM or twrp3.0.2. This will flash the recovery image.
  6. Finally, type in reboot recovery. This should reboot into your custom recovery! It might also enable Power + Vol Up access to recovery, however, this hasn't been confirmed.
All the other partitions are similar, just replace the references to recovery images with the respective file names for the raw partition, and /dev/recovery with /dev/[PARTITION]. You can NOT flash the android or usrdata partition while in Android or you'll most likely soft-brick your tablet, however, you can boot into TWRP and go to the terminal and do the flash. You must copy your disk images to /tmp when doing so however, or you'll probably lose the disk image during the flash, effectively causing a brick.

Hope this helps people out!

Last edited:
Reactions: NepoRood

NepoRood

I've found out that it seems the v12 tablets strictly enforce the checksums of partition images, so flashing a custom recovery or uboot does not work with flashtool.

Nice addition, but all you have to do is disable it in the Checksum.ini file (change the 1 to 0):
Code:
[IsEnableChecksum]
CHECKSUM_SWITCH=0

I did that for the v9 versions, but only uploaded the v12 firmware...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SPECIAL KNO'DIS: This Guide has been changed to refelct proper installation for both types of Maven Pro tablets, be Sure to follow the appropriate guide.

For the purpose of this guide, I'll assume you already have working ADB and Fastboot on your PC, if not, you'll need to set that up first. This guide doesn't cover installation of ether of those. If you're looking for the guide to the Viking Pro (RCT6303W87DK), go here.

KNO'DIS: I, OR ANYONE ELSE AT XDA, WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR "BRICKING" YOUR TABLET!! IF YOU MANAGE TO MAKE A BRICK, DUE TO YOUR "FUN-DA-MENTAL" INABILITY TO READ, GO BUILD A BBQ PIT WITH IT!!
    (Or ask for help, there's a lot of friendly people around here)​

So, without further ado, lets get started. First, you'll need to know which version of firmware your device is running, this can be found in 2 different ways. From a running device go to: Settings/About tablet and look at the Build number. Or you can boot into stock recovery and the firmware version will be at the top left of the screen.

You should see something like the following, and note the 2nd number after the 2nd "V":
    Code:
    RCT6213W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V37-V1.9.30 <-- This is x.9.x version of firmware

or

RCT6213W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V68-V1.12.30-B <-- This is x.12.x version of firmware
    Now that you know which firmware you have, follow the approriate guide below. I've broken this post into 2 different sections, as each tablet is just a little bit different.

About the Bootloader

This applies to both versions of firmware and tablet users. Turns out, the booloader doesn't have to be unlocked in order to install a custom recovery or root the device. So there's really no reason to unlock it, and I have removed that portion of this guide.

Installing MTK Preloader Signed Drivers

Drivers located Here

x.9.x Versions

2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug in the micro USB on the tablet, the other to the USB port on the PC, now very quickly in the device manager locate the new device and right click on it. For me, it showed up under "Other devices" and read MT65XX.

3- Select "update driver software" then select "browse my computer for driver software" (make sure "Include subfolders" is selected.

4- Click "Browse..." and navigate to where you extracted the driver zip. You "should" be at the following path: Desktop/MTK Preloader Signed Drivers

5- Click on "OK" then "Next". The driver should install at this point. Once that is done, unplug the usb cable from the pc (I find it easier to just keep the micro in the tablet).

x.12.x Versions (Requires Full size Male-to-Male USB Cable)

2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug in the full size USB cable to both the tablet and the PC.

3- Plug the micro USB into the tablet, the other to another USB port on the PC, now very quickly in the device manager locate the new device and right click on it. For me, it showed up under "Other devices" and read MT65XX.

4- Select "update driver software" then select "browse my computer for driver software" (make sure "Include subfolders" is selected.

5- Click "Browse..." and navigate to where you extracted the driver zip. You "should" be at the following path: Desktop/MTK Preloader Signed Drivers

6- Click on "OK" then "Next". The driver should install at this point. Once that is done, unplug both USB cables from the PC (I find it easier to just keep them in the tablet).

Installing TWRP

Firmware/TWRP Downloads

Maven x.9.x (Currently Contains: V37-1.9.30 and TWRP)

Maven x.12.x
    (Currently Contains: V63-V1.12.0-20150802 and V66-1.12.20-B-20150831 Firmware and TWRP)
    Special Thanks to: @ShadowCX11 for testing for me.

Be sure you are using the appropriate TWRP for your version of firmware, and do the following:

1- Extract the firmware and the SP Flash Tool to your desktop.

2- Start the SP Flash Tool, and where it says "scatter file loading" click and navigate to the folder where you have the firmware and load the scatter file (depending on device, it could be in the "Images" folder).

3- Once that is done, uncheck everything, and select "recovery" only, from the list, navigate to the TWRP image file and click "Open", then click on the download button.

4- Plug the USB cable(s)* back into your PC. At this point the flash tool will load the recovery to the tablet. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING UNTIL THE FLASH TOOL SHOWS YOU A GREEN CHECK MARK TO INDICATE THAT IT IS DONE, OR YOUR TABLET COULD BE HARD BRICKED AND IRREPARABLE.

5- After you get your check mark, unplug and boot into recovery, hold the Volume + and Power button. When splash screen comes up (the 2 dogs) release the power button.

6- Welcome to TWRP

*Remember, x.12.x requires 2 USB cables to work

ROOT

You can get root by flashing the latest SuperSu zip file located here, be sure to download the flashable zip.

Otherwise, for root, you can use the KingRoot app located here, (get the apk, or "Download for Android") and if you don't want a Chinesse Super User app, you can replace it with the ChainFire SuperSu by going here.
    NOTE: This method of replacing KingRoot with SuperSu no longer works properly, and results in a bricked device.

Device Tree
    GitHub

CREDITS
    @vampirefo (for the CWM Recovery and teaching me about TWRP, there would be no recoveries if it wasn't for him!)
    @Bogram (for the lk.bin patch trick)
    @smartmanvartan (for the flashing guide)
    @NepoRood In case you're still trying to build CM12.1 for MT8127, check this github for a device tree. CM12.1 has been built and booted :D .

Credits go to @thp@1997 and pix106.

EDIT: Not the full device tree :/ probably not updated either.

yes, device tree will updated soon. only bugs for now are device sleeps after locking and won't wake . all others are fixed.
    That worked! WE DID IT! Now to read up on TWRP and what all these options are for. Thanks a ton to everyone who helped out and to Nepo for making this thread in the first place. I'll try and get a system only backup now.
    Awesome work, could you PM me or post a link to the CM repo you used? My phone is about as updated as I can make it for now and I need something to work on ;)

I Used Official CM repo.
    I'm now using the micro usb alongside the full size usb. I'm not sure if I'm trying to use the wrong driver or what but I've cycled through all folders I have from your downloads folder in the OP and I still get a message when attempting to update the drivers manually in device manager "The best driver software for your device is already installed" "unknown device". I'm doing this as fast as possible, as soon as the device pops up I'm on it. I hate to turn this into a full page troubleshoot expedition but you really seem to know answers and apparently none of my ability to jailbreak apple devices is carrying over here.

Ok, it's been a while since I've used Windows, so I'm going to boot it up and remove my driver. I'll then try the re-install to make sure all info is fresh in my mind :good:

I'll post later how it goes (may change the OP as well)

Regards,
    Nepo