FORUMS

[Hisense A5] Root & Gapps Customizer

53 posts
Thanks Meter: 69
 
By joygram, Member on 11th May 2020, 03:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th May 2020, 07:41 AM |#21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 218
 
More
HLTE202N (Hisense A5) official TF mode packages are here:
https://fans.hisense.com/thread-171079-1-1.html

Seems you need to create an account to get the files.

However, as long as you can boot under TF mode, the phone will automatically flash this package. It's worth trying, but that means that in theory, you can unbrick your phone or return back to stock with this file, as long as you have TF mode.

@gowin132 managed to unbrick his phone after Magisk upgrade on his phone that put it under bootloop.

For flashing instructions, here is what I found on Internet:
Upgrade method:
Use T card to upgrade.
(1) Upgrade notes:
1. The upgrade operation will clear all the non-factory preset user information in the mobile phone. Please save important information in advance.
2. Make sure that the battery power is sufficient. It is recommended that the battery has at least 50% power to avoid interruption of the power during the upgrade process and cause the upgrade to fail.
(2) Preparations before T card upgrade:
1. Prepare a TF card, first format the TF card into FAT format;
2. Unzip the downloaded product software version (usually a compressed package and divided into multiple compressed sub-packages), and copy the resulting folder named "HLTE202N_TF" to the root directory of the TF card;
3. Insert the TF card into the mobile phone and put the battery into the mobile phone. Confirm that the battery charge is greater than 50%, if the battery charge is low, please charge first;
(3) T card upgrade process
1. Hold down the two side keys "Volume +" and "Volume-" at the same time, then press the power button, the phone will automatically enter the T card upgrade mode for upgrade, if the phone does not enter the T card upgrade mode, please shut down Then repeat the operation.
2. Wait for about 5 minutes for the upgrade to complete, and a prompt for successful upgrade will be displayed.
3. Restart according to the prompt after the upgrade is successful. If there is no such prompt, press and hold the power button for more than 20 seconds to restart. The first boot after the upgrade will take a long time, which is several times the normal boot time.

@joygram Are you able to confirm if this is correct what I am saying? Thanks


Edit: Oooops, similar post than @zizicici . At least it has flashing steps. I'll keep it.
15th May 2020, 06:23 PM |#22  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Experiences rooting HiSense A5 with GApps
I thought I'd share my experiences with rooting the HiSense A5, changing the launcher, installing GApps, and cleaning up a bit of the crap that is installed on the phone.

Following the guide posted at the top of this discussion takes a couple of minutes, and really works. If you botch it for whatever reason, don't worry, just reflash the original firmware from a micro-SD, and you will be ready for the next round in about five minutes

At the end of the rooting process, via Magisk you do get honest to God working Google Play. I have to admit I almost teared up a bit when I saw it working. GMail, GMaps, calendar, everything does what it's supposed to do. I also put Slack, MS Teams, Meets, and used them extensively to full satisfaction. This phone is now the best I have ever had.

Spotify works, and it also casts correctly to Chromecast. No idea if Google Home was required, but I did install it anyway.

I dislike the standard launcher, so I went with Microsoft Launcher (ok, I admit it: I like it. There, I said it!). It works perfectly, and the phone feels .

Keep in mind that I bricked the phone multiple times by attempting to uninstall the preinstalled apps. I simply gave up, and decided rather to disable them. Much more success, and they are all prevented from running at the moment, so the phone is clean and those awful things are not sending any data, nor burning any battery, but they kinda just "loom" there.

Only minus point is that I cannot get Android Auto to work. Both Android Auto and Google Contacts complain that GSF (Google Services Framework) is missing some permissions, and I cannot grant them via adb. I am insufficiently versed in this, so if anyone is more expert, I would be willing to offer myself as a guinea pig to see if we can grant all the permissions GSF needs in order to stop complaining and to get Android Auto to work fully. If we can get to that, I cannot see anything that we cannot do with our lovely A5's.

In any case, it was absolutely worth it to put this bit of work in this phone. It is by far and large my best phone ever, and even if I own other, conventionally nicer stuff (a new iPhone from work, for example), I enjoy the relaxing screen of the A5 beyond what I could have imagined. Thanks to all those who made this possible.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to giuseppemag For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift giuseppemag Ad-Free
15th May 2020, 09:40 PM |#23  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppemag

I thought I'd share my experiences with rooting the HiSense A5, changing the launcher, installing GApps, and cleaning up a bit of the crap that is installed on the phone.

Following the guide posted at the top of this discussion takes a couple of minutes, and really works. If you botch it for whatever reason, don't worry, just reflash the original firmware from a micro-SD, and you will be ready for the next round in about five minutes

At the end of the rooting process, via Magisk you do get honest to God working Google Play. I have to admit I almost teared up a bit when I saw it working. GMail, GMaps, calendar, everything does what it's supposed to do. I also put Slack, MS Teams, Meets, and used them extensively to full satisfaction. This phone is now the best I have ever had.

Spotify works, and it also casts correctly to Chromecast. No idea if Google Home was required, but I did install it anyway.

I dislike the standard launcher, so I went with Microsoft Launcher (ok, I admit it: I like it. There, I said it!). It works perfectly, and the phone feels .

Keep in mind that I bricked the phone multiple times by attempting to uninstall the preinstalled apps. I simply gave up, and decided rather to disable them. Much more success, and they are all prevented from running at the moment, so the phone is clean and those awful things are not sending any data, nor burning any battery, but they kinda just "loom" there.

Only minus point is that I cannot get Android Auto to work. Both Android Auto and Google Contacts complain that GSF (Google Services Framework) is missing some permissions, and I cannot grant them via adb. I am insufficiently versed in this, so if anyone is more expert, I would be willing to offer myself as a guinea pig to see if we can grant all the permissions GSF needs in order to stop complaining and to get Android Auto to work fully. If we can get to that, I cannot see anything that we cannot do with our lovely A5's.

In any case, it was absolutely worth it to put this bit of work in this phone. It is by far and large my best phone ever, and even if I own other, conventionally nicer stuff (a new iPhone from work, for example), I enjoy the relaxing screen of the A5 beyond what I could have imagined. Thanks to all those who made this possible.

Thanks for sharing!
Cast from Spotify works but from Google Home doesn't. Too bad some of the apps I use don't have a cast option in them.
15th May 2020, 11:49 PM |#24  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppemag

If you botch it for whatever reason, don't worry, just reflash the original firmware from a micro-SD, and you will be ready for the next round in about five minutes

Excellent advice! But from where can the original firmware be downloaded from?

We know by now the URL is "fans.hisense.com/thread-171079-1-1.html" but this requires registration for actual access of the download. Looks like a a mainland chinese phone number is required to register, so no luck with this.

Would someone who was able to download this firmware make it available for the western public, e.g., at needrom.com or some other easily accessible channel?
16th May 2020, 01:33 AM |#25  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppemag

Keep in mind that I bricked the phone multiple times by attempting to uninstall the preinstalled apps. I simply gave up, and decided rather to disable them. Much more success, and they are all prevented from running at the moment, so the phone is clean and those awful things are not sending any data, nor burning any battery, but they kinda just "loom" there.

Great to know we can disable some preinstalled Hisense apps. What did you disable them through and what could be disabled safely?

By the way, does the TF card install give a clean install where I wipe everything? I've had an issue with mine for ages where the e-ink randomly locks up for 10-20 seconds. Everything else keeps functioning (audio, touch, etc.), just the e-ink stalls and stops functioning.

I did a factory reset in an earlier version and it didn't help, but was wondering if something got corrupted that survives a factory reset. Else it's an issue in the hardware...
16th May 2020, 02:33 AM |#26  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by defylogic

Excellent advice! But from where can the original firmware be downloaded from?

We know by now the URL is "fans.hisense.com/thread-171079-1-1.html" but this requires registration for actual access of the download. Looks like a a mainland chinese phone number is required to register, so no luck with this.

Would someone who was able to download this firmware make it available for the western public, e.g., at needrom.com or some other easily accessible channel?

I found a link from @joygram on his blog to download the Hisense A5 firmware from Baidu Pan. I was able to set up a Baidu account with an overseas phone number by going through this portal. Baidu Pan requires you to install a downloader utility, which is a spyware concern, but I had an old PC I installed it on to perform the download.

With that said, I am paranoid about sharing files from behind China's firewall to the public, but I am glad to send the file to you individually. I will send you a message.

After following joygram's steps, I was able to unbrick my phone painlessly. So I will try to install Google Apps again.

Most the built-in apps can be disabled. When I bricked my phone, I was uninstalling the Hisense App Store. Previously, it was possible to disable the App Store on the phone, but something changed so that the Disable button is grayed out.

Joygram mentioned this utility for potentially helping to remove system apps which I might give a try. https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...-t3584163/amp/
16th May 2020, 04:24 AM |#27  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Similar to @giuseppemag, after bricking a couple of times, it seems like less headaches to disable system apps rather than uninstalling. I found that after I reflashed firmware L1657.6.08.06.00, it was possible to disable the Hisense Play Store, Browser, and some other built-in applications. So I took the following steps:

1) reflashing firmware L1657.6.08.06.00 that I downloading per my previous post
2) disabling and/or unstalling the Hisense applications where possible
3) upgrading the firmware through Settings
4) running back through @joygram's instructions in the OP

When disabling before step #3 above, it stayed disabled after the upgrade, even for the Hisense Play Store.
16th May 2020, 06:42 AM |#28  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
In case anyone needs it, I put at drive.google.com/open?id=1JBzsFrtGtIXLYTPTMA2cc9spp_dxF_WX the firmware I used to unbrick the phone.

Sorry for the badly formatted link, but I am a new user and as such cannot post links yet.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Does anyone know how I could fix the permissions problem for GSF though? I would really like to get Android Auto to work...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to giuseppemag For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift giuseppemag Ad-Free
16th May 2020, 06:55 AM |#29  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaxsom

Joygram mentioned this utility for potentially helping to remove system apps which I might give a try. https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...-t3584163/amp/

This bloatware uninstaller needs to be installed from recovery.
Is it possible to have a recovery installed in A5 without unlocking bootloader (I'm a noob)?
16th May 2020, 07:37 AM |#30  
JLowe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizicici

This bloatware uninstaller needs to be installed from recovery.
Is it possible to have a recovery installed in A5 without unlocking bootloader (I'm a noob)?


nope, so far as I know. Install Magisk an the Terminal Debloater as a module, see here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...bloat-t3584163
Be careful not to brick the device with Updating Magisk.
A saver way is debloating by freezing Apps with Titanium Backup. Another option is by Adb connection from Pc and using a script and debloat your apps. i.e.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xpe...-v1-0-t3798979


As a noob I would reccomend by starting with freezing.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLowe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JLowe Ad-Free
16th May 2020, 07:42 AM |#31  
JLowe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
I am using an older international Rom International Rom L1657 6.03.02.00 / Kernel 4.9.112 / Security-Updates 2019/09 (incl. Gapps by Default) which is quite near to stock and lean compared to the Chinese Rom.


Maybe this is useful for others:
The attached apps I could freeze in Titanium Backup without any issues.
With Net Monitor you can check the outgoing traffic and block IPs with the attached AfWall script.
You can check the domains ie with www.whoisip.org/ip-locator (Peking, Akamai Tech, China Telecom, Google)


P.S.: Remove ".txt" from block_hisense.sh.txt
Attached Files
File Type: txt debloat.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: txt block_hisense.sh.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.2 KB, 10 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to JLowe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JLowe Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes