FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to retain almost 100% battery capacity

410 posts
Thanks Meter: 77

By spix123, Senior Member on 5th October 2019, 02:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a theory...maybe it was a fluke or maybe its true. I have a 3 year old phone, which I owned from new and has had hundreds of charging cycles, but still has 99% battery capacity of a brand new phone according to both accubattery and measuring with plug in monitor. I've only ever charged it via computer usb 2.0 which is max 500mah.

I've bought some used phones which were only around 1 year old and had just 70-80% capacity left, and yes they supported quick charge. I honestly think the main thing which reduces battery capacity over time is not charge cycles, but charge speed. Ditch the quick charge if you want to keep your battery capacity!
5th October 2019, 03:19 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
The main thing which kill the battery is the temperature.
And charging faster takes to higher temperature.
But there're some way in the middle.

Charge my 5000mah battery at 0,5A would takes around 3 hours...

Also it should be better charge till 80% not till 100%.

Inviato dal mio ASUS Zenfone 6 utilizzando Tapatalk
5th October 2019, 03:47 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracama87

The main thing which kill the battery is the temperature.
And charging faster takes to higher temperature.
But there're some way in the middle.

Charge my 5000mah battery at 0,5A would takes around 3 hours...

Also it should be better charge till 80% not till 100%.

The issue is I think most people have a habit of using their quick charger at night, when it is not needed. You sleep for much longer than the phone takes to charge, even with 0.5a speed. The only time there is a benefit from quick chargers is during the day, but how many people really need to charge during the day if they start with 100%. Some people might never charge during day but still use the quick charger at night.

I think Apples recent change in IOS is more proof of this, so they keep the phone below full charge for a few hours before eventually filling it up. Phones are now charging too fast to the point that battery capacity is reducing noticeably in just a few months of use.

If you are someone who just charges overnight, replacing the quick charger with a slow speed one will definitely help maintain the battery capacity.
5th October 2019, 04:00 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spix123

The issue is I think most people have a habit of using their quick charger at night, when it is not needed. You sleep for much longer than the phone takes to charge, even with 0.5a speed. The only time there is a benefit from quick chargers is during the day, but how many people really need to charge during the day if they start with 100%. Some people might never charge during day but still use the quick charger at night.

I think Apples recent change in IOS is more proof of this, so they keep the phone below full charge for a few hours before eventually filling it up. Phones are now charging too fast to the point that battery capacity is reducing noticeably in just a few months of use.

If you are someone who just charges overnight, replacing the quick charger with a slow speed one will definitely help maintain the battery capacity.

I use my phone a lot, also for hotspot often, or when I travel for gps and maps.
(yeah maybe I'm a bit too dependent but still...).

And fast change is my useful.

Anyway Asus set a smart charge mainly trying to optimize the charge speed depending from your habits (with kind of AI).

So if you put in charge during night it should charge slower.

Also in a phone of 3000mah at 60% is kind of not usable. Not the same on a phone with 5000mah.

5th October 2019, 04:04 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracama87

I use my phone a lot, also for hotspot often, or when I travel for gps and maps.
(yeah maybe I'm a bit too dependent but still...).

And fast change is my useful.

Anyway Asus set a smart charge mainly trying to optimize the charge speed depending from your habits (with kind of AI).

So if you put in charge during night it should charge slower.

Also in a phone of 3000mah at 60% is kind of not usable. Not the same on a phone with 5000mah.

I'm not saying fast charge is bad, for sure some people can benefit... but the fact my 3 year old phone still has 99% capacity after 3 years and hundreds of charge cycles, and was only charged at maximum 500mah kind of proves that the key to keeping battery capacity is slow charging. I didn't do anything like try to keep it between 40-80% etc, the phone was very often drained to 0% and left at 100% for long time, but still it has retained almost 100% capacity. It must be the slow charging which helped keep such high capacity.
6th October 2019, 04:18 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spix123

I'm not saying fast charge is bad, for sure some people can benefit... but the fact my 3 year old phone still has 99% capacity after 3 years and hundreds of charge cycles, and was only charged at maximum 500mah kind of proves that the key to keeping battery capacity is slow charging. I didn't do anything like try to keep it between 40-80% etc, the phone was very often drained to 0% and left at 100% for long time, but still it has retained almost 100% capacity. It must be the slow charging which helped keep such high capacity.

My 4-year device has 3300 mah and it has close to 90% capacity as well.
9th October 2019, 08:11 PM |#7  
Flag Bar
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
I think bro, that longest devices are those devices we dont care for.
If you care too much about baterry, it will "drain" faster, and "lose" capacity faster than usual.
Yea, i would agree that main thing which kills battery is temperature, and if you charged that 3 year phone from a computer slow charger, it means it wasnt your daily driver, and it wasnt neccesary.
So you didnt care when it reached 0%, you didnt cared about phone at all, you used it most probably for testing purposes i would guess.
And liion wear out by itself even if you dont use it, if you buy it new and fresh, and store it for 10 years, when you power it up, it will be dead long time, liion chemistry is active and can keep for 5-10 years, no matter if charging or idle, it will bubble up over time, and also if used, from temperature.

I own a new tablet (2 years old now), was amazed with battery, and tought myself (wow, how much i can do with this long lasting capacity), and i unlocked it this summer to custom ROM and full CPU speed all time, readed many books and learned from it, because of strong light in summer, screen was always near max so i can see, and i could feel a strong heat from where led is in lcd, and where CPU is, both sides were frying, i didnt holded tab in hand, i attached a mouse to it, but when i touched screen, it really felt uncomfortable for me, and could feel mild fry on my fingers (i remmember one time, i really burned my finger a little bit, i touched where CPU was), and imagine how much impact it had on my battery.
Even, most of the time, i kept plugged in, day and night, when i am not using it, i always keep it in charger, because i am lazy and dont want one more worry.

And guess what, it still goes good, but still i saw big decrease in capacity.
And i dont worry about batteryes anymore. I keep wifi always on, even when i when not in reach, i dont care, because it is much easier to just plug it in when you can, even when you wake up and see a 10% battery, it is enought to plug it in a charger, so when you go into a wc, and be ready for day, you will have 45%, enought until you go to work, then you can continue charge it. Or even better, buy a battery charger and never worry again.

It's meant to be used, and no matter what you do, it will last 5 years or a little longer, but of course best capacity is at 2 years.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)