Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[HOWTO] 4 Ways To Disable Heads-Up Notifications In Lollipop

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 18

By 1edson, Junior Member on 10th September 2015, 01:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello, everyone!

I've been asked by a lot of friends on how to disable those notifications which pop up on the top of your phone's screen. They are mistakenly called "pop-up notifications", but their real name is Heads-Up notifications and can be really useful, but sometimes they are extremely annoying. Specially if you need to use a button or something that is located on the top of the screen right when the notification appears. Some ROMs do allow to turn them off in the Settings, but most of them don't.

So in this thread (which is my first here on XDA) I'm gonna put all the info I gathered during my research about disabling the Heads-Up notifications. These methods will COMPLETELY disable them for all applications while MAINTAINING regular notifications in the status bar. All of these methods are free. Some require a rooted device and some don't.

Example of Heads-Up notification

HOW TO DO IT

WITHOUT ROOT

1- ADB method (using your computer) [FREE]
Before trying this method, make sure you have installed Android ADB in your computer, that your phone is connected AND that you have "USB debugging" option enabled in the phone Settings.
If you don't have Android ADB, you can download it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48915118. If you have any questions concerning ADB and how to use it, take a look at this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2225405

a) Open a terminal and check if the device is connected using the following command:
Code:
adb devices
b) You should see your phone on the list that appears. Now use the following command:
Code:
adb shell settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0
c) Reboot your phone.
d) Done!

2- HeadsOff app method [FREE]
a) Install "HeadsOff - TickerOn" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oheadsup&hl=en
b) Open the application.
c) Disable the Heads-Up notifications clicking on Settings.
d) Select "Start the App" button.
e) If a "Notification access" screen appears, allow the app to control your notifications by ticking it.
f) Reboot your phone.
g) Done!

Obs1.: Apparently there is also a paid version of this application in which you can enable/disable Heads-Up notifications for each individual application on your phone.
Obs2.: Credit for this method goes to user Jawomo, who posted it on this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...heads-t3117929

WITH ROOT

3- Terminal method (directly from your phone) [FREE]
a) Install "Terminal Emulator for Android" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roidterm&hl=en
b) Open the application. Use the following command:
Code:
su
c) The indicator should change from "$" to "#". Do the following command now:
Code:
settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0
d) Reboot your phone.
e) Done!

4- aSQLiteManager app [FREE]
a) Install "aSQLiteManager" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emanager&hl=en
b) Open the app and select "Open Database"
c) Press the ".." button until you reach the root folder ("/") and the ".." button disappears (usually three times).
d) Navigate to the following folder, allowing root request if it pops up: "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/"
e) Open the file "settings.db"
f) Select "global".
g) Press "PgDn" until you see the "heads_up_notifications_enabled" entry (on my phone it was the last entry, number 173).
h) Click on the "edit" button, change the "value" field to "0" and click "OK".
i) Reboot your phone.
j) Done!

DISCLAIMER/IMPORTANT INFORMATION
I do not have any affiliations with the creators/owners of the applications cited in this post. They were chosen solely based on their ability to accomplish the proposed task. If you see any mistakes or if I forgot to give you credit, please contact me and I will fix that right away. The above methods were tested on my N910C with rooted stock rom (Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - 5.0.1).

If you happen to know any other methods of disabling these notifications, please contact me so I can add them here as well.

THANKS!
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to 1edson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 1edson Ad-Free

8th August 2016, 12:02 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
adb shell settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0 disabled all my notifications all together, not just the heads up, my phone is an Asus Zenfone 2 (ASUS_Z00AD) with all the patches up to July 1, 2016
7th November 2016, 02:21 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Can you please confirm that this method works in Android N, as its highly demanded..
7th November 2016, 04:44 PM |#4  

More
I can confirm that this worked on my LGv20 Android N, headsup blocked.. Cant be happier than that.. Thank you..
24th January 2017, 03:58 AM |#5  

More
is this method only disable the heads up notification
or can i still get the notification on the status bar?

and how to enable it again?
25th February 2017, 07:41 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
How do you reenable heads_up_notifications_enabled?

I tried: adb settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 1
but it still doesn't work
25th February 2017, 10:51 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stcardinal

How do you reenable heads_up_notifications_enabled?

I tried: adb settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 1
but it still doesn't work

You missed "shell" before settings
So
Adb shell settings put global heads_up........ 1
27th February 2017, 11:29 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
adb confirmed working, just updated my s7 edge to nougat and this issue was frustrating, i also use ticklr app for a preview of notifications without being intrusive
6th March 2017, 09:02 AM |#9  
Flag Minsk
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I've wrote simple (50 lines of code) app for enabling and disabling heads from quick settings for Android N
P.S.: Root required. Reboot not required
APK here: Heads-up_Switcher_v1.apk
Source on GitHub https://github.com/rostopira/Heads-up_Switcher
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rostopira For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rostopira Ad-Free
10th March 2017, 01:55 PM |#10  

More
Thanks Man s7 nougat ZTO Brazil Works
Samsung s7 nougat ZTO Brazil

turn off head fuc king ups works
thank you

use steps: 1- ADB method (using your computer) [FREE]
14th April 2017, 06:06 PM |#11  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 26

More
thank you. I think method 3 works for me. I'm using oneplus 3 . and android 7.1.1
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)