Post Reply Email Thread
6th April 2018, 03:58 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toba Tek Singh
Thanks Meter: 253

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibault27

This is one of the best posts that I've ever read. I'm a hobbyist and reverse engineer learn.

Thanks for appreciation. I have no educational background with mobile phones or computers. I'm also a hobbyist.
Quote:

If someone does reply, I'd like to know can you mod a certain file and Odin in the bootloader section when flashing an update to ensure that you stay at a certain bootloader level while the other files such as AP CP and CSC remain intact from the sam mobile stock firmware.(which I assume the term combo firmware file originates)
My most recent encounters are the device and binary are not the same which I attribute to this problem.

When it comes to modifying bootloader related stuff, I'm really sorry I won't be very helpful here. AFAIK bootloaders are purely proprietary and electronically signed. Qualcomm doesn't want you play with their intellectual property. In early days of Android, when all bootloaders were not signed, even a few hackers succeeded booting from USB just like a PC. But there has been no signs of such attempts in recent years. Or the developers have become wise and don't want to share their work without monetizing
To make one of my eMMC bricked phone fully bootable from sd card without using fastboot, I was interested to know the internals of uboot, lk and aboot, particularly for the working of fastboot, odin etc. But the web has got very limited material related to this. Keep searching and do share if you find something helpful.

6th April 2018, 03:59 PM |#22  
Flag Balasore
Thanks Meter: 154

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirfatif

what about these two ?

RPM (Resource/Power Management) or Primary BootLoader (PBL); controls power to radio, modem etc.

I got a script from a xda thread in which OP mentioned that this script is for wiping dalvik/ART cache.
Before flashing it i decided to analyse it,what i found that it was erasing my RPM partition on mmcblk0p2.

Is it really for dalvik cache ?
6th April 2018, 04:03 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toba Tek Singh

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pindonga123

I know it's a lot of work but if someone tells me that they control each partition, I could erase it, load everything from scratch and that's it. Would someone give me a hand so I can fix that damn wifi on the phone ?. Thank you.

What are you you actually trying to achieve now? You want to delete partitions?
6th April 2018, 04:04 PM |#24  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toba Tek Singh

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKOFIA

I got a script from a xda thread in which OP mentioned that this script is for wiping dalvik/ART cache.
Before flashing it i decided to analyse it,what i found that it was erasing my RPM partition on mmcblk0p2.

Is it really for dalvik cache ?

I don't think so. But looking at the script and knowing its purpose will clarify.
16th May 2018, 03:32 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
HI,
I have a redmi5+ rooted. I use luckypatcher (i applied some patchs to some apps) and i have installed once BusyBox (didn't do anything in special).
I want to know if it is secure to flash the full update?

PS: how do I confirm if the system files and vendor are ok to proceed?

Thanks
17th May 2018, 01:21 PM |#26  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toba Tek Singh

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleqa

I want to know if it is secure to flash the full update?

Question is quite irrelevant to thread. If you have root, create a dump of all partitions. If something goes wrong, just restore the affected partitions. However, if your root isn't systemless, OTA update can break root as well.
7th June 2018, 11:32 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Ok, I really need to register here (on xda).
Anyway, there I have quite a huge problem. I've updated my os, done some experiments AND... lost some functions on my device. I lost:
- USB connection in ANY way with pc (nothing but charging work). I can get into fastboot mode, download mode etc. but MTP, debug mode just doesn't work (like if os couldn't load drivers)
- battery stats (always shows 0%, LED always blinking like low powerage state)
- cannot even root my phone to do anything myself
Besides phone works normally, it charges battery and anything is fine.
What my idea is: while making experiments with different custom roms, I got my stupid hands on some repartitioning script. Well, that was supposed to increase user space, i think. It didn't work, so I simply left it in rubbish bin. It was found on xda, but can't find it now...
So here I am: could anybody tell me something about /data filesysyem attributes? I think it might be the case here.
14th June 2018, 12:31 PM |#28  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toba Tek Singh

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasiou7

So here I am: could anybody tell me something about /data filesysyem attributes? I think it might be the case here.

You can't create partitions unless you know your whole partition table. And after that you need to flash any modified or newly created partitions.
Better try official factory flasher
24th August 2018, 09:40 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I read the post with great interest, to try and figure out what's wrong.
I have a situation similar to this where some partitions (system, cache, userdata) show no file system.
When I boot to (twrp) recovery those partitions can not be mounted, nor can the file system be changed or fixed.
Fastboot flashing of a rom fail (specifically flash partitions).
I tried parted tools : such as copy file system, remove partition, remake partitions - all make no change in partition table.
The same for built-in tools like mkfs and fsck.
Any idea where I go from here ?
25th August 2018, 08:00 PM |#30  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toba Tek Singh

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oferyuval

some partitions (system, cache, userdata) show no file system.
When I boot to (twrp) recovery those partitions can not be mounted, nor can the file system be changed or fixed

Well, if tools like parted / gdisk (static binaries attached here) don't work to erase and create partitions, there is a high probability that partition table is corrupted (mostly due to eMMC corruption). Get it confirmed and replaced from official service center, if you can and want to. Otherwise this thread is a start up for you to make experiments. However this is not a universal step-by-step guide. Things differ for different devices at brand, model and OS version level. So I cannot be helpful in minor details unless I have that certain device in my hands.
The Following User Says Thank You to mirfatif For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mirfatif Ad-Free
25th September 2018, 06:31 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirfatif

NOTE:
The Phone's Internal Memory eMMC (not the SD card) is solid-state (flash) memory, aka NAND. Raw NAND, as it's called, is basically a pure flash memory dependent on CPU to control it. But in order to use flash memory just like a traditional hard drive (block device), NAND is equipped with an (embedded multimedia) micro-controller. It's called eMMC.
eMMC can be partitioned much like a hard drive on PC. PC's have traditionally been partitioned with BIOS compatible Master Boot Record (MBR) scheme in which first sector of disk contains the details of partitions called Partition Table. Limited size of boot sector (512 bytes) puts a limitation of at maximum 4 (primary) partitions listed in MBR. Extended partition has been used for 4+ partitions.
GUID Partition Table (GPT) was introduced with UEFI booting system which isn't dependent on first boot sector and hence may contain up to 128 partitions.
Android devices use GPT. We can view and manipulate GPT using Linux tools such as parted and gdisk while fdisk is the traditional tool for MBR partitions.
To view partition table on internal memory:
(The SD Card can also be partitioned to include a section dedicated to storing user apps (Link2SD) or to create partitions for secondary or tertiary OS on Android device using some multiboot kernel and recovery system). Even we can put whole OS/ROM on an SD card.

I want to learn
I'm confused by what do you means by SD card, is it the external sd card (which you can plug or remove) or the internal memory of phone, because some file explorers title the phone memory by sd card and the removable memory by ext sd card
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android partitions, data partition, partition, system partition

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)