NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR WARRANTY DO NOT DO THIS.
A Nokia Device - (2, 2.1, 5, 6 , 6.1, 7, 7 Plus, 8) and a data transfer cable
A PC - Linux, Chromebook, Mac, Windows (Any computer that supports Android SDK) - Must have access to command line
Android SDK (See other tutorials on how to install)
Access to Developer Options (About Phone > Tap build number loads of times)
Nokia OST with Patch.
TWRP for your Nokia Version (Look on XDA)
Magisk Manager and Magisk v16+
SafetyPatcher for Magisk by Hackintosh5
An Unlock.bin that can be obtained from here/. Note: It costs $5.00 but unfortunately is the only way to get it currently as Nokia is not supporting the unlocking of bootloaders.
0a. Install OST with the patch
1. Enter Developer Options, and ensure USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking are enabled.
2. After installing ADB and plugging in your phone, make sure your laptop has USB Debugging permissions.
3. Goto the OST LA Directory (DRIVE:\Program Files (x86)\OST LA) and CTRL+Shift+Right Click and open command window here.
4. Ensure your device is recognised by your PC Using "adb devices". If your device is recognised, continue onto 5, if not refer to 4b.
4b. If your device is not recognised, make sure USB Debugging is enabled and re plug in your phone, unlock the phone, and click allow when prompted for USB Debugging permission. To make things easier down the line, if it is your PC tick "Always allow".
5. Enter "adb reboot bootloader" and submit the command.
6. Wait for your device to restart and say download mode in the bottom left corner.
7. Once it has finished loading, enter "fastboot flash unlock path" where path is the path to the unlock.bin file you would have been sent by email after filling in the form. For Example: "fastboot flash unlock C:\Users\XDAForums\Downloads\unlock.bin".
8. Once this finishes, proceed with the command "fastboot oem unlock-go". Follow phone screen instructions, if it just restarts, that is also fine.
9. Your data will be reset so you will have to set the phone up again. Therefore, you will also have to go through the steps of USB Debugging, however, the OEM Unlocking should be greyed out. If it is not, please repeat the steps from 5. Whilst you are doing this, please install Magisk Manager onto your device aswell.
10. Back to your PC, enter "adb reboot bootloader".
11. Once it says download mode, enter "fastboot boot path" where path is the path of the TWRP image.
12. It should boot into TWRP. If it does, your are successful until now.
13. If it asks your to allow modifications, allow it and swipe. Do not reboot the phone yet.
14. Open file explorer in your PC and copy over the TWRP image file and the magisk v16.0+ zip file to the SD CARD of the phone, which can if inserted into the phone can be seen in the file explorer, or one can install it using the pc card reader.
15. In TWRP click Install. And click install image. Select "Select Storage" and choose your SD Card. Find the TWRP image you copied to your SD Card and click on it to install it. (Swipe the bar)
16. Reboot to system.
17. Install the official TWRP App and create a backup of the Recovery Partition.
18. Open Magisk Manager and Tap the "Tap to start safetynet check". If it fails, that is fine.
19. On your phone, open up and download this
. Open up Magisk Manager, goto modules, click the plus and click the safetypatcher.zip you would have just downloaded.
20. Try the safetynet check again, then if it is fine, then not only does it work, you will still be able to use Netflix and Android Pay!
After this, Your HMD Nokia device should be rooted. Should a custom ROM be developed, once can flash it using TWRP!