Hi guys! Here's a tutorial for installing custom recovery (twrp) and how to root Leagoo M5 cellphone.
First turn on the cellphone, go to "Settings>About phone" and enable "Developer options" by tapping on the "Build number" multiple times. Then go one step back, enter the "Developer options" and turn it on, and also enable the "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" options
Now you need to install custom recovery by following these steps:
1. plug the cellphone into pc, unzip and manually install drivers by going to "control panel>device manager" (select the device which needs drivers).
drivers are located here
2. download to pc and unzip the twrp custom recovery zip file
3. download to pc and unzip the Sp Flash tool zip file
4. download to pc, but do not unzip the "super su" file needed for root
Now copy this "supersu" zip file to cellphone (e.x. into "Download" folder). Once you're done, disconnect the cellphone from pc and turn it off.
5. go into "Sp Flash tool" folder and run "flash_tool.exe" application. Click on the "Download tab" at the top and then on the "Scatter-loading" button to select a path to Scatter file which is needed to flash custom recovery. The file is located in the "TWRP_3.0.2" folder and it is named "MT6580_Android_scatter.txt". The mode for flashing should be "Download only". When you're sure that everything is setup correctly click on the "Download" button located in the top left part of the screen.
6. Now take out a battery from cellphone, wait 5 seconds, put it back in, and just connect the cellphone. Do not turn it on.
Windows (PC) should recognize the device, and the flashing process should start.
Note: if it says that there is no driver, then manually install it by following procedure on step 1.
When the flashing is done you'll see a green checkmark. It's ok now to close the app and to disconnect the cellphone from the pc.
7. Cellphone will boot to startup menu, you should choose "Recovery" to enter TWRP custom recovery.
When you're in recovery go to "Mount" and mount (select) following partitions: protect_f, protect_s, nvdata, System, Cache and Data.
Now it's time to perform root. Go back from "Mount" screen, tap on "Install", find and select "SuperSU_PRO_v2.76_patched_Cobra1111.zip" file and flash it.
When the flashing is done click on "delete cache and dalvik cache", and then reboot cellphone.
8. Let the cellphone boot, it should take a few minutes. When it's booted you'll see the "SuperSU" app installed on your cellphone homescreen.
You're done! Enjoy!
I've collected these files on the internet. All of credits should go to their authors, so please thank to them!
One more thing. I would advise you to perform nandroid backup of your cellphone
. Go into twrp recovery and perform backup (all partitions), save it to sd card and also copy that backup to pc, just in case something goes wrong.