FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

LeapFrog Epic development thread (ROMs, recovery, etc.)

420 posts
Thanks Meter: 58

Post Reply Email Thread
Bootloader on the Epic is apparently locked; any help on getting the signed ROM from LeapFrog or unlocking the bootloader/preloader is very much appreciated!

So a friend of mine got his hands on one of these, and since he asked me about flashing Gapps into the device, I was wondering if any one of you guys have been doing something just as "epic" for this children's tablet. And yes, I started this thread as a sort-of sequel/follow-up to the VTech Innotab Max thread I posted a year ago.

TECH SPECS:
Display: 7-inch capacitive touchscreen with TN LCD display
Resolution: 1024x600
Operating System: Based on Android 4.4 (modified, of course)
Processor: Quad-core, 1.3 GHz (reported by CPU-Z as MediaTek MT8127)
Memory: 1GB RAM
Storage: 16GB; ~4GB available for /sdcard partition
Micro SD Card Slot: Yes, expandable up to 32GB
Camera - Rear: 2MP
Camera - Front: 2MP
Audio: 3.5mm stereo jack with microphone
Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
Battery Type: Rechargeable lithium-ion
Battery Life: 6+ hours; results will vary based on usage and settings
Port: Micro USB
Sensor(s): Accelerometer

Much to my disappointment, LeapFrog didn't equip the tablet with a GPS module, and despite the potential privacy issues that may arise with including one, it could be legitimately used for certain applications like tracking the device or your son or daughter in case he/she gets lost. The usual backdoor leading to Developer Options is also disabled for some reason, though it can still be accessed through third-party utilities such as this. And maybe it's just my modded Epic, but beaming stuff from another device to an Epic using ShareIT appears to suffer from connection issues, i.e. the device is detected but the sender is unable to connect to it; a workaround for this would be sending a file or two from the Epic and then having the sender do the same from his/her device.

APKs from outside sources can be installed either through ADB or by downloading it on your device and installing as usual, not to mention that there's a semi-hidden feature (tucked away under the Parental Controls panel) that allows for the Amazon AppStore to be loaded. As for rooting, Kingoroot should do the trick from what I've read here, but you can manually install SuperSU on it if you prefer the more established root access app. ADB-wise, the latest debug and fastboot binaries should work on the device from what I can attest. Also being planned is a TWRP recovery image especially once that the bootloader issue is solved.

Oh, and here's a link to the Antutu test results:
http://our.antutu.net/api/?action=v5...rk&id=54239552

CPU-Z report:

Kernel source ISO:
Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vo6u4s6b3shjrhb/epic.iso?dl=0
Mad props to RAMChYLD for volunteering to have the sources mailed to him, as I'm reluctant to have them mail the goods to me no thanks to the rather abysmal postal service here in my place.

Pre-rooted ROM dump courtesy of @epic__fail; DO NOT FLASH unless you know what you're doing i.e. you can unlock the bootloader!
Code:
http://www.needrom.com/download/leapfrog-epic-v1-stock-rom/
Stock ROM dump courtesy of @RAMChYLD. As with epic__fail's ROM this one won't work with a locked bootloader.
Code:
https://mega.nz/#!Jg1hSRSJ!xRoup9kZ1sSEiTwV5Fw_Jb5dgxBoXlSoxcaOvU1d6CM
PASS: epic
Note that while they cannot be flashed directly using SP Flash Tool, you can get around this by using the hidden Write Memory option. A quick guide on how to do that can be found on page 12.

Official flashable ZIP files:
Code:
http://lfcdownload.leapfrog.com/epic/en/KOT49H.user.1.0.124.20150709.140831-to-KOT49H.user.1.5.45.20160310.231145.zip
http://lfcdownload.leapfrog.com/epic/en/KOT49H.user.1.1.146.20150825.120621-to-KOT49H.user.1.5.45.20160310.231145.zip
http://lfcdownload.leapfrog.com/epic/en/KOT49H.user.1.2.90.20150924.150837-to-KOT49H.user.1.5.45.20160310.231145.zip
http://lfcdownload.leapfrog.com/epic/en/KOT49H.user.1.3.27.20151026.144847-to-KOT49H.user.1.5.45.20160310.231145.zip
The above ZIPs are incremental patches used to update an existing system to a newer build; I couldn't seem to dig up a full system image, let alone a scatter file, for a bricked or bootlooping Epic to be restored back to factory condition though, but still I'm keeping this as a reference in case any one of you guys is interested in downloading them manually. Apparently "KOT49H.user.1.1.99.20150807.173011" is unique to demo units, hence why there weren't any updates available for my device when I ran the OTA utility.
The Following User Says Thank You to blakegriplingph For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blakegriplingph Ad-Free

3rd January 2016, 02:52 PM |#2  
Flag Klang
Thanks Meter: 17

More
The modifications to the way locale is set means that Bluetooth HID like keyboards can pair but cannot work since it cannot be set to be used for input (the options to change or add keyboard layouts is disabled in the Android settings screen and instead is selected from LeapFrog's own screen which divides the world into 7 regions- US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and Other. When you pick Other it forces the UK keyboard and locale on you, which is ridiculous since some countries uses varying combinations of either (for example, Philippines uses US English 100%, while Malaysia uses UK English but US Keyboard). However bluetooth does work with A2DP devices.

Yeah, the CPU-Z and AnTuTu benchmark are my doing. I am the friend Blake mentioned. I should add that the device ran the Project Anarchy demo in AnTuTu somewhat well, averaging at 15fps.

MTK's spec sheet mentions that the SoC also has GPS and FM Radio, but I suspect that both are disconnected on the device since Android doesn't detect them.

The option to enable installation of packages from untrusted sources is still in the android security screen in settings tho, and you will be instructed to turn it on as part of the steps to install the Amazon AppStore.
The Following User Says Thank You to RAMChYLD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RAMChYLD Ad-Free
3rd January 2016, 03:10 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I actually emailed LeapFrog as to whether they can release a tarball to the MTK kernel sources they used, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed but since they had a history of doing so in compliance with the GPL (c.f. the links to Didj/Leapster sources on eLinux provided by none other than LF themselves), I have high hopes for custom ROM development or at least some mods for the device.
The Following User Says Thank You to blakegriplingph For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blakegriplingph Ad-Free
3rd January 2016, 03:23 PM |#4  
Flag Klang

More
Well, my only problem with the device is that the input method and locale selection is locked down and selected by the "Device Locale" screen, instead of allowing the much more granular selection allowed from the Android settings screen itself. I have determined that the same lockdown prevents bluetooth keyboards from pairing properly with the device. Also, several apps defaulted to downloading videos from UK servers instead (ie BabyFirst TV, Fisher-Price Puppy Player and Little People Player) and thus have what I perceive as "wrong voices".
The Following User Says Thank You to RAMChYLD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RAMChYLD Ad-Free
4th January 2016, 04:16 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I'm still waiting for LeapFrog's reply concerning the kernel sources, and if all goes well we'll be golden.
8th January 2016, 02:08 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Well, drat. Leapfrog's asking me for a mailing address so they can send me the source CDs. Problem is I am wary of the postal servce here at my place, so is there anyone who's willing to get the sources?
15th January 2016, 03:17 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
So I bought one of these leap pad epics. Got it at toys r us. It was a return so open box. They gave it to me for $70 (they retail for $169.99+tax) because the last person who owned it left their passcode on it. I can't figure out how to get it off. Any ideas??
The Following User Says Thank You to laalaa1987 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift laalaa1987 Ad-Free
15th January 2016, 09:08 AM |#9  
Flag Klang

More
Hang in there. I've contacted Leapfrog via Facebook and am awaiting a reply.
15th January 2016, 12:53 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMChYLD

Hang in there. I've contacted Leapfrog via Facebook and am awaiting a reply.

Wouldn't doing the standard factory reset procedure be enough for that (as with those who ended up flinging way too many patterns on their device), or is there anything special that's needed to be done?
19th January 2016, 06:25 PM |#11  
Flag Klang

More
Okay, got a reply. Go into the parent screen to bring up the pin entry, then enter 4 1 9. Now, when your cursor is in the last textbox, hit the backspace and enter 2 7. Apparently this is a hidden backdoor that Leapfrog puts into the system for cases like these (ie improper returns).

I've tested it, entering 4 1 2 7 upfront doesn't work. It has to be 4 1 9 <backspace> 2 7.

As for doing a factory reset, well, It's a catch 22 situation- to get into the settings screen, you need to enter the password first - they actually modified the settings app. If you don't have the password, well, you're SOL unless you call Leapfrog support, who will probably give you this code anyway. If the ADB interface is up, you could probably do it from there, but I'm not sure if it is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RAMChYLD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RAMChYLD Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
epic, kids, leapfrog, mtk, tablet

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)