FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Mediatek Helio P10 Development (Porting guides, bug fixes and more)

1,547 posts
Thanks Meter: 811

Post Reply Email Thread
14th September 2019, 10:30 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Is there a list of Android 9 ROM's available for devices that have the Mediatek Helio P10 chip?

Chris
19th September 2019, 02:31 PM |#22  

More
It's all a bit quiet on this thread. Guess nobody is developing anything new (Android 9 / 10) for phones that have the Helio P10 chip?

Chris
19th September 2019, 07:23 PM |#23  
Flag huddersfield
Thanks Meter: 2,392

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8189

It's all a bit quiet on this thread. Guess nobody is developing anything new (Android 9 / 10) for phones that have the Helio P10 chip?

Chris

Nokia 3.1 is MT6750 I Think it may have been upgraded to Android 9 by now but not 100% sure
https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_3_1-9215.php
19th September 2019, 10:17 PM |#24  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrammy

Nokia 3.1 is MT6750 I Think it may have been upgraded to Android 9 by now but not 100% sure
https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_3_1-9215.php

Thanks. I've had a look and you are correct. The Nokia 3.1, which has the MT6750 SoC has been upgraded to Android 9. Scouring around on the web, however, I can't find a download link to the ROM. I can find one for the Nokia 3.1 Plus, but that uses a different MediaTek chip which is incompatible.

Chris
20th September 2019, 08:29 AM |#25  
Flag huddersfield

More
Quote:

Thanks. I've had a look and you are correct. The Nokia 3.1, which has the MT6750 SoC has been upgraded to Android 9. Scouring around on the web, however, I can't find a download link to the ROM. I can find one for the Nokia 3.1 Plus, but that uses a different MediaTek chip which is incompatible.

Chris

Best I can do is Android 8.1 there are no Pie dumps that I can find.
TadiT7 kindly did a firmware dump and put it on github HERE
Kernel Source code HERE

I assume you have the Kernel Source for your own phone.

Nokia are pretty good when it comes to releasing updates and the Kernel sources so I am very surprised there is so little activity around these very low budget devices.
20th September 2019, 11:28 AM |#26  

More
Quote:

Best I can do is Android 8.1 there are no Pie dumps that I can find.
TadiT7 kindly did a firmware dump and put it on github HERE
Kernel Source code HERE

I assume you have the Kernel Source for your own phone.

Nokia are pretty good when it comes to releasing updates and the Kernel sources so I am very surprised there is so little activity around these very low budget devices.

That's great, thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't have the kernel source available for my own phone. I have sent emails to the various Chinese websites that sell the Vertu replicas for the source code, and stressed to them that it is a legal requirement to be able to provide the kernel source. But I don't have my hopes up.

The only way I have TWRP fully working on my device is through a ported TWRP for the BLU Pure XR phone, which @lopestom created, and with the help of @ashyx he managed to use IDA Pro software (hex editor) to modify one line within the kernel extracted from my boot.img file to get it to work. Basically there was a line of code in the kernel which disabled touch functionality in recovery mode. Once that line was edited, I was able to use the BLU Pure XR recovery, with touch functionality for my device. I stress that my device is a replica Vertu Aster P, which has the MT6755 SoC, the same as the BLU Pure XR.

So no, unfortunately I still don't have the source code for my phone.

There are, however kernel sources for other phones that have the MT6755 chip, such as the Sony Xperia XA, and the ZTE Nubia N1, which share the same Linux kernel version as the one on my phone (3.18). I also see that you have released in GitHub the device tree (with kernel) for the Nokia 3.1. Links below;

https://github.com/JonnyXDA/android_kernel_sony_tuba

https://github.com/ztemt/NX541J_M_kernel

https://github.com/bigrammy/android_kernel_nokia_3.1

Question: Is it possible to create a working kernel for my device, as well as a device tree, by analysing the kernels listed above and cross-comparing them with the kernel extracted from my boot.img in IDA Pro?

Chris
21st September 2019, 02:12 AM |#27  
Flag huddersfield

More
Quote:

That's great, thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't have the kernel source available for my own phone. I have sent emails to the various Chinese websites that sell the Vertu replicas for the source code, and stressed to them that it is a legal requirement to be able to provide the kernel source. But I don't have my hopes up.

The only way I have TWRP fully working on my device is through a ported TWRP for the BLU Pure XR phone, which @lopestom created, and with the help of @ashyx he managed to use IDA Pro software (hex editor) to modify one line within the kernel extracted from my boot.img file to get it to work. Basically there was a line of code in the kernel which disabled touch functionality in recovery mode. Once that line was edited, I was able to use the BLU Pure XR recovery, with touch functionality for my device. I stress that my device is a replica Vertu Aster P, which has the MT6755 SoC, the same as the BLU Pure XR.

So no, unfortunately I still don't have the source code for my phone.

There are, however kernel sources for other phones that have the MT6755 chip, such as the Sony Xperia XA, and the ZTE Nubia N1, which share the same Linux kernel version as the one on my phone (3.18). I also see that you have released in GitHub the device tree (with kernel) for the Nokia 3.1. Links below;

https://github.com/JonnyXDA/android_kernel_sony_tuba

https://github.com/ztemt/NX541J_M_kernel

https://github.com/bigrammy/android_kernel_nokia_3.1

Question: Is it possible to create a working kernel for my device, as well as a device tree, by analysing the kernels listed above and cross-comparing them with the kernel extracted from my boot.img in IDA Pro?

Chris

The Sony Kernels are very Sony orientated and modified quite a lot. I would look for something a little closer to pure Android.
Nokia use FIH to develop their software and even these Android One ROM's seems to have quite a lot of FIH's own binarys running these usually cover things like Camera's, and Audio frameworks to name a couple.

Your best chance of bring up your own kernel would be to use the oukitel_k6000_plus (MT6750) of team mad as a base HERE and also use the device and vendor trees as a base.
This is as close to Pure Android as you will get and therefore would be the best start point in my opinion.
Use your own device ProjectConfig.mk file as a guide to what is included in your own device such as drivers etc this file should be in /system/vendor/data/misc or /system/data/misc on older roms if memory serves me correctly.

I don't know your abilities but even the best of dev's struggle to get a fully working kernel without the specific device source code so I wish you lots of luck.
If you do succeed maybe you could fix the Ril on the Sony XA Lineage 14.1 https://forum.xda-developers.com/xpe...-14-1-t3878212
The Following User Says Thank You to bigrammy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bigrammy Ad-Free
22nd September 2019, 07:48 AM |#28  

More
Quote:

The Sony Kernels are very Sony orientated and modified quite a lot. I would look for something a little closer to pure Android.
Nokia use FIH to develop their software and even these Android One ROM's seems to have quite a lot of FIH's own binarys running these usually cover things like Camera's, and Audio frameworks to name a couple.

Your best chance of bring up your own kernel would be to use the oukitel_k6000_plus (MT6750) of team mad as a base HERE and also use the device and vendor trees as a base.
This is as close to Pure Android as you will get and therefore would be the best start point in my opinion.
Use your own device ProjectConfig.mk file as a guide to what is included in your own device such as drivers etc this file should be in /system/vendor/data/misc or /system/data/misc on older roms if memory serves me correctly.

I don't know your abilities but even the best of dev's struggle to get a fully working kernel without the specific device source code so I wish you lots of luck.
If you do succeed maybe you could fix the Ril on the Sony XA Lineage 14.1 https://forum.xda-developers.com/xpe...-14-1-t3878212

That certainly doesn't sound easy.

I had an email back from the Chinese seller who sells the replica Vertu phones, and they said that they weren't able to disclose the details of the factory who makes them. Fair enough, however I replied back asking if they could please contact the factory on my behalf asking for the kernel source code for the Aster P. I understand now why there is so little development for MediaTek phones.

Chris
8th October 2019, 09:08 PM |#29  

More
Quote:

You are indeed right. On my (older) Android 6.0 ROM it was in /system/data/misc. I don't have the time to devote to this any more, as I have now have a baby which takes up all of my time (when I'm not at work), as well as the other halve's time!

I have linked to my ProjectConfig.mk file from my phone below. Any chance you could have a look for me? I'm desperate to try and move away from this older ROM on my (new) phone and have a ROM that is up to date.

https://mega.nz/#!gswkWADa!nileURXPH...7kydUR083PUSrs

I am willing to make a significant donation to someone who can manage to get a working Android 9.0 / 10.0 ROM on my phone

Chris
9th October 2019, 01:21 PM |#30  
Flag huddersfield

More
Quote:

You are indeed right. On my (older) Android 6.0 ROM it was in /system/data/misc. I don't have the time to devote to this any more, as I have now have a baby which takes up all of my time (when I'm not at work), as well as the other halve's time!

I have linked to my ProjectConfig.mk file from my phone below. Any chance you could have a look for me? I'm desperate to try and move away from this older ROM on my (new) phone and have a ROM that is up to date.

https://mega.nz/#!gswkWADa!nileURXPH...7kydUR083PUSrs

I am willing to make a significant donation to someone who can manage to get a working Android 9.0 / 10.0 ROM on my phone

Chris

Sorry but I dont have the time or knowledge to do this and It would require the phone in hand to even consider an attempt at it.
I also have some very capable devices hardware wise but sadly no kernel source code for them so those are all stuck on older android versions too.
To be honest I find a stripped down oem stock Android 6.0 ROM better.
I swap all the oem's app's such as launcher dialer messages contacts etc etc and replace them with google's own app's and associated libs after this I find most rom's work really well and I get app updates on regular basis.
A softly softly approach is best when removing the oem stuff as you don't want to lose any real functionality so this part can be time consuming...
12th October 2019, 09:46 PM |#31  

More
Quote:

Sorry but I dont have the time or knowledge to do this and It would require the phone in hand to even consider an attempt at it.
I also have some very capable devices hardware wise but sadly no kernel source code for them so those are all stuck on older android versions too.
To be honest I find a stripped down oem stock Android 6.0 ROM better.
I swap all the oem's app's such as launcher dialer messages contacts etc etc and replace them with google's own app's and associated libs after this I find most rom's work really well and I get app updates on regular basis.
A softly softly approach is best when removing the oem stuff as you don't want to lose any real functionality so this part can be time consuming...

Fair enough. Can you recommend any devs that might be willing to have a go at reverse engineering the kernel on my phone? I'm willing to post the phone to whoever is willing to have a go. I desperately want to move on from Android 6.0.

Thanks,

Chris
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)