I have bought Nomu S20 which in principle is a great smartphone by hardware but is plagued with many problems. I have started this thread to discuss possible solutions, as part of the problem is that Nomu does not provide any OTA (it looks like a face FOTA), and there is no suppor from their website nomu.hk, not even to supply a downloadable stock ROM. So here are the problems I have found:
1. Stock ROM comes prepacked with Android Triada Virus*. The virus is very persistent, and imune to antivrus programs. It silently installs a fake "Settings" app in the background. Antivirus scan software can detect the app and delete it, but it will be installed again silently later on. See attached files for some of the related processes/apps. There is also the com.chunmei.calculator publicity Spam/virus. It's possible to uninstall it, but it will come up again on the background, at some trigger event. * For possible fixes/workarounds specific to this ROM see posts #32, #53 and #57. Also read the other posts.
2. GPS software is very glitchy¹: it's necessary to reset all GPS data at almost every restart of the GPS service. I have tried many tweakings, but the problem seems to be really in the ROM, how it communicates with the GPS chipset. Using an app like GPS Reset COM before using an app which requires geolocation helps with solving the problem by forcing a full, cold start. Using GPS Up in the background also helps with keeping the service functioning while it's been used by or a fix is not gotten by other navigation software. ¹ The GPS problem is fixed in ROM version 1.0.6 -- Link --- (Also available on Needrom.com.) See post #96 for further tips on how to possibly stabilize the GPS/GLONASS fix. See post #93 for instructions on how to update your ROM.
3. Microphone volume level is low: microphone volume is low when used in apps like Whatsapp to record a message. One has to speak very close to the microphone so that the one receiving the message might hear it in a good, reasonable volume. I've had other phones and this is a problem specific to Nomu S20.
4. No support from their website: there is no support from their website nomu.hk. They do not even supply stock ROMs for those who might want to update their phone or fix a bricked one. One has to rely on websites like needrom.com or this XDA forum to get the stock ROMs.
5. OTA/FOTA is fake: it really doens't work. I had installed version 1.0.2 and 1.0.3. In both cases the wireless update feature gives the message that the phone already has the latest software. So OTA/FOTA is most likely a fake , non responsive service.
6. Charger doesn't work when the phone is off: the phone doesn't recognize the plugged charger when the phone is off.
7. Android translations not complete: specially in version 1.0.2, several languages are missing. Systems apps like the dialer may not have an accurate translation in version 1.0.3.