FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nomu S20 - GPS problems, mic volume, no OTA or support, and Android Triada ROM virus

64 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By JVitor, Member on 29th May 2017, 12:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
ROM version 1.0.7 available through OTA update. See post #93 for instructions. Most of these issues have been fixed.

I have bought Nomu S20 which in principle is a great smartphone by hardware but is plagued with many problems. I have started this thread to discuss possible solutions, as part of the problem is that Nomu does not provide any OTA (it looks like a face FOTA), and there is no suppor from their website nomu.hk, not even to supply a downloadable stock ROM. So here are the problems I have found:

1. Stock ROM comes prepacked with Android Triada Virus*. The virus is very persistent, and imune to antivrus programs. It silently installs a fake "Settings" app in the background. Antivirus scan software can detect the app and delete it, but it will be installed again silently later on. See attached files for some of the related processes/apps. There is also the com.chunmei.calculator publicity Spam/virus. It's possible to uninstall it, but it will come up again on the background, at some trigger event. * For possible fixes/workarounds specific to this ROM see posts #32, #53 and #57. Also read the other posts.

2. GPS software is very glitchy¹: it's necessary to reset all GPS data at almost every restart of the GPS service. I have tried many tweakings, but the problem seems to be really in the ROM, how it communicates with the GPS chipset. Using an app like GPS Reset COM before using an app which requires geolocation helps with solving the problem by forcing a full, cold start. Using GPS Up in the background also helps with keeping the service functioning while it's been used by or a fix is not gotten by other navigation software. ¹ The GPS problem is fixed in ROM version 1.0.6 -- Link --- (Also available on Needrom.com.) See post #96 for further tips on how to possibly stabilize the GPS/GLONASS fix. See post #93 for instructions on how to update your ROM.

3. Microphone volume level is low: microphone volume is low when used in apps like Whatsapp to record a message. One has to speak very close to the microphone so that the one receiving the message might hear it in a good, reasonable volume. I've had other phones and this is a problem specific to Nomu S20.

4. No support from their website: there is no support from their website nomu.hk. They do not even supply stock ROMs for those who might want to update their phone or fix a bricked one. One has to rely on websites like needrom.com or this XDA forum to get the stock ROMs.

5. OTA/FOTA is fake: it really doens't work. I had installed version 1.0.2 and 1.0.3. In both cases the wireless update feature gives the message that the phone already has the latest software. So OTA/FOTA is most likely a fake , non responsive service.

6. Charger doesn't work when the phone is off: the phone doesn't recognize the plugged charger when the phone is off.

7. Android translations not complete: specially in version 1.0.2, several languages are missing. Systems apps like the dialer may not have an accurate translation in version 1.0.3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	One_20170526_215427 (1).png
Views:	372
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	4164560   Click image for larger version

Name:	One_20170526_222910.png
Views:	364
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	4164561  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JVitor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JVitor Ad-Free

7th June 2017, 04:21 PM |#2  
OP Member

More
There's a new official ROM on needrom.com which purportedly solves the Triada Trojan problem: NOMU_S20_COMMON_V1.0.6_2017_05_18_FQ5C23WTE1D.XWP_ .NOMU_.M0.HB_.H.SM_.0518.V3.06 mod edit - link removed I shall be testing it in the coming days.
7th June 2017, 11:30 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Update: the uploader himself tried already and states that the ROM is also infected: "Tried already…. no help, All Nomu ROMs are still infected… anybody can help?".
8th June 2017, 06:54 AM |#4  
Flag Chania
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVitor

5. OTA/FOTA is fake: it really doens't work. I had installed version 1.0.2 and 1.0.3. In both cases the wireless update feature gives the message that the phone already has the latest software. So OTA/FOTA is most likely a fake , non responsive service.

Maybe it's because "Wireless Update" app is infected by itself (Android/Trojan.Downloader.Fota.e) as reported by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scanner.

Nice thread btw!
8th June 2017, 02:17 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigatoras

Maybe it's because "Wireless Update" app is infected by itself (Android/Trojan.Downloader.Fota.e) as reported by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scanner.

Indeed. Perhaps if we delete, disable or uninstall files assciated with FOTA (Wireless Update), we might "cure" the ROM. I have noticed that the "Seetings" app (com.chunmei.calculator) is installed through a temporary installer at /storage/emulated/0/.jm/com.android.vending/8949_1004_1495532446456.xde.apk If the trigger event or process of origin is located, we might "cure" it. It could be the Wireless Update feature/FOTA as well. I will experiment with that.

Also, there seems to be an alternative ROM, from a rebrand called MTT IDEAL: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...5&postcount=19 Official website: https://www.mttmobiles.com/fr/mtt-ideal If we can get the official ROM from MTT IDEAL, it might work on Nomu S20 and if from a different developer, it might also be clean and better.
8th June 2017, 03:00 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
I have already tried deleting the following folders and still the /storage/emulated/0/.jm/com.android.vending/8949_1004_1495532446456.xde.apk processs is injected randomly and the fake Settings app is installed. So it doesn't seem to be related with Wireless Update/FOTA.

Code:
/system/priv-app/SecurityService
/system/app/AdupsFota
/system/app/AdupsFotaReboot
8th June 2017, 04:34 PM |#7  
Flag Chania

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVitor

I have already tried deleting the following folders and still the /storage/emulated/0/.jm/com.android.vending/8949_1004_1495532446456.xde.apk processs is injected randomly and the fake Settings app is installed. So it doesn't seem to be related with Wireless Update/FOTA.

Code:
/system/priv-app/SecurityService
/system/app/AdupsFota
/system/app/AdupsFotaReboot

Does this mean you found a way to root the phone?

I have contacted a Nomu representative and supposedly the company tried "to clean the malware from their rom" with the 1.0.6 update. I am not sure that the company put the malware there on purpose (for some extra cache) and was not fooled by a third party (as a lot of other Chinese manufacturers have the same issue).

I am not familiar flashing ROMs with MediaTek based phones (not even sure if the method is CPU based) but are we sure that ROM 1.0.6 is also infected, according to the user in the 'needrom' forum and the result is not dependent on the flashing method (ie a partial vs a full wipe of the storage area)?

Let's hope that we'll be able to also try the official ROM from MTT IDEAL at some time..
8th June 2017, 04:59 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Does this mean you found a way to root the phone? I have contacted a Nomu representative and supposedly the company tried "to clean the malware from their rom" with the 1.0.6 update. I am not sure that the company put the malware there on purpose (for some extra cache) and was not fooled by a third party (as a lot of other Chinese manufacturers have the same issue).

Yes. I have rooted the phone. I had to install first TWRP recovery and then flash SuperSU via TWRP. A little complicated: 1) First unlock bootloalder via Fastboot; 2) Flash TWRP and reboot into recovery; 3) Flash SuperSU flashable zip file; 4) Rewrite IMEI numbers using SN Write tool (click here).

When I flash a new ROM I have to do it all over again (except if IMEI was backed up before, but then root might be necesssary for this anyway). I will try and test the 1.0.6 update next week, with a full wipe/format command.
8th June 2017, 05:27 PM |#9  
Flag Chania

More
All right! Thanks for confirming that the above mentioned method works. As I am planning a motorbike trip (the reason I bought the phone in the first place) I don't feel comfortable to follow the procedure at this time but I will definitely be more experimental after the trip.

I will eagerly wait for your results, as you 've already said "this is an otherwise good device", and report back if the company representative communicates to me any more info!
The Following User Says Thank You to navigatoras For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift navigatoras Ad-Free
9th June 2017, 02:45 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:

I will eagerly wait for your results, as you 've already said "this is an otherwise good device", and report back if the company representative communicates to me any more info!

Thanks. I will post results here. Hopefully meanwhile the representatives or someone else provide some other solution, if version 1.0.6 is not the final one. Have a nice trip. You can use some antivirus scanner/monitor to keep the Settings spammer/trojan in check and uninstall it when it comes up.
11th June 2017, 03:19 AM |#11  
OP Member

More
I have flashed and tested ROM version 1.0.6 and although antivirus programs don't detect any threats, the Triada virus is still there. The fake "Seetings" app (com.chunmei.calculator) is installed through a temporary installer at /storage/emulated/0/.jm/com.android.vending/8949_1004_1495532446456.xde.apk. It's installed on the background, at some random event. I am not able to determine the process of origin.

Mega.nz link:

NOMU_S20_COMMON_V1.0.6_2017_05_18_FQ5C23WTE1D.XWP_ .NOMU_.M0.HB_.H.SM_.0518.V3.06
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OneShot_20170610_212541.png
Views:	220
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	4177810   Click image for larger version

Name:	OneShot_20170610_212852.png
Views:	220
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	4177811   Click image for larger version

Name:	OneShot_20170610_213341.png
Views:	222