FORUMS

Oukitel WP6 General Discussion

173 posts
Thanks Meter: 52

By GroovyG, Senior Member on 10th June 2020, 08:42 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As there's no thread on this device I decided to start one

The hardware of this device is really nice, but the stock ROM on it is total garbage. It has some built in power saving that closes all background apps no matter what the settings are, so after an hour so so you won't receive any more notifications from messaging apps such as telegram and outlook.

Since there are not even stock ROMs available anywhere I decided to take the risk of a brick and install phh's AOSP 10 GSI, no need for TWRP as everything can be done using ADB and fastboot. The procedure is the same as with any other phone: Unlock the bootloader, wipe all partitions in fastboot, install system image, restart and hope for the best. Luckily it booted up just fine and everything except VoLTE and VoWIFI works, @lucian.w153 found two little bugs which I didn't notice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucian.w153

- In call volume not working, it is stuck at max which is very annoying
- You can't disable the second sim card, you need to take it out if you don't want it to consume battery.

It's an arm64 AB device, so any matching GSI should run fine on it.
I have tested phh's vanilla, FLOSS and GAPPS variants, they all work flawlessly barring those two bugs mentioned above.

GAPPS version is my daily driver now, the phone runs blazingly fast and battery lasts forever. All hardware (bluetooth, sensors, cameras etc.) works perfectly, no force closing or other issues.

Hope some more share their experience to help others.

Cheers
13th June 2020, 06:14 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Finished. Done!
14th June 2020, 09:14 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joergelmann

Please provide complete instructions. I am an absolute beginner. Please a step to step instruction with links.

Ok, just the usual disclaimer: You may void your warranty or brick your device in the process, you do everything on your own risk and I'm not responsible if anything goes wrong.
Of course you will also loose any data on your device as it will be formatted in the process.

Prerequisites:

You need ADB and fastboot installed on your computer, follow these instructions for windows or these for MacOS or Linux.
Also you'll need to download the system image from phh's releases, it has to be arm64 AB but you can choose whichever one suits you best, with or without google apps, FLOSS etc. If you don't know what those are, please do some research in the forum first.
For most people system-quack-arm64-ab-gapps.img.xz will be the most suitable one as it's closest to a stock ROM with google apps. After downloading extract the .img to the same folder you installed ADB and fastboot to. Also rename it to something simpler like system.img for later.
Make sure you have sufficient battery in your phone before you start, at least 50%.

Once those are ready you need to unlock the bootloader of your phone. First enable developer options: Go to settings -> about device and tap on build number 7 times in a row quickly, you'll get a confirmation that developer options are enabled. Go to settings -> system -> developer options, there enable USB debugging and OEM unlock.
When done, connect you phone to your computer with the USB cable. Your phone will show an info in the statbar that USB debugging is enabled.

On you computer open a terminal in the folder where you installed ADB and type in the upcoming commands and press enter after each.
First type: adb devices
ADB should now detect your device, and a request for access will pop up on your phone asking to allow permission. Allow it.

Next type: adb reboot bootloader
The phone will reboot into fastboot mode, wait a few seconds until "fastboot mode" is shown on the bottom left of your phone's screen.

Now type: fastboot devices
Fastboot should detect your device
Next type: fastboot flashing unlock
Fastboot and your phone will ask you to confirm that you want to unlock your bootloader, confirm it using the volume buttons on your phone according to the instructions on your phones screen.
After the bootloader has unlocked successfully you need to format your device, type: fastboot erase userdata
You'll receive a confirmation that data has been formatted.
Type: fastboot erase system
You'll receive a confirmation that system has been formatted.

Now you can flash the system image, type: fastboot flash system system.img
This will take a while until all the data is sent and installed on your phone. You will receive a progress report and confirmation when it's done.
Finally type: fastboot reboot
You phone will reboot and load the new system for the first time, this takes around 2-3 minutes, be patient. You can disconnect the USB cable now. When the welcome screen pops up set up everything as usual and enjoy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GroovyG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GroovyG Ad-Free
14th June 2020, 01:37 PM |#4  

More
Thanx a lot for the instructions.

It's worked out. Everything works fine.
14th June 2020, 10:20 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Great to hear!

AOSP really is a blessing, big thanks to @phhusson for all his work on this too.

This device even beats the legendary K10000 in endurance, my current record stands at 12 days and 34h SOT xD
15th June 2020, 06:27 AM |#6  

More
The only things missing is double tap to wake and the ability to disable the second sim card. Otherwise almost perfect.
19th June 2020, 12:39 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
After watching the WP6 violence test video and also seeing several other positive reviews I decided to buy one...
Recieved it a couple of days ago and seems like a great phone, very impressed with the speed, battery, heft and general rugged feel of it etc..

However... this morning I dropped it out of my pocket (from no higher than 3ft) onto some gravel and was horrified to discover around 7 little scratches/idents/scuffs to the screen!

How can this possibly be after all I saw it put through? In the advert video it shows someone dropping the phone and picking it up without even needing to check it's OK which kind of implies it's not gonna get scratched easily. Either way I'm gutted!!
By contrast, I've had my HTC M8 for 3 years and has been dropped loads of times and doesn't have a single one of these indented scuffs to the screen, despite it not making any of the claims to ruggedness like the WP6.
19th June 2020, 02:26 PM |#8  
Flag blackburn
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I bought my WP6 just last week, and am really impressed with it running Nova launcher, battery life and performance are great! Unfortunately the sheer mass of the phone means it will damage itself in a fall. My old Runbo X5 would probably fare better in a fall, being much lighter, but nowhere near as good a phone.
21st June 2020, 09:47 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Are you running the stock ROM or also AOSP @markpab ?

v220 is out here, in-call volume not fixed, maybe the SIM issue mentioned above, would someone like to try?

@TpX Thinnr, that's surprising. Mine fell on some gravel as well last week, but the only thing I can see is a little scratch on the rubbery corner top left of the device.
21st June 2020, 10:19 AM |#10  
Flag blackburn
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Yes, I'm running totally stock ROM, been ages since I last rooted a phone (Runbo X5). 5 days since first full charge, and still at 34%!
21st June 2020, 12:43 PM |#11  

More
[QUOTE=GroovyG;82886629]Are you running the stock ROM or also AOSP @markpab ?

v220 is out here, in-call volume not fixed, maybe the SIM issue mentioned above, would someone like to try?

No. No changes regarding bugs in v220.

I have installed Havoc-OS 3.6 now.:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hav...mg.xz/download

This allows you to set at least two separate tones for the simcards. I then created a silent tone for the second simcard. If you can't deactivate the second card, at least I am at peace.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)