FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

RCA RCT6203W46 Pro10 Tablet: Catch-all Thread

152 posts
Thanks Meter: 63

By Droidify, Senior Member on 26th April 2015, 04:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Fellow Pro10 6203 users:

Welcome! As we do not yet have a forum dedicated to this device, I am creating this thread to serve as a means to share everything that I've come to discover about the usage of this inexpensive yet capable Android tablet. This thread will include varying topics such as rooting, custom recovery, accessories, customization apps, custom ROM's, and anything else I might come across that may enhance our experience with the product. I have found no real one-stop source for information concerning this device, so I am beginning this one that I hope everyone that owns one will find useful. Please feel free to ask questions and add constructive commentary

Tech Specs:

Model Number: RCT6203W46KB
Operating System: Android 4.4.2
CPU Chip: Quad Core
CPU Chipset Model Number: MTK MT8127 1.5GHz
GPU: Mali-450 MP
Resolution: 1024x600
Density: 160dpi
Screen Features: 10.1 Thin-film Transistor
RAM: 1GB
RAM Type: DDR3
Storage Capacity: 16GB
Camera: Yes (Front & Back)
Camera Specifications: Front Facing 0.3M pixel webcam (640x480), Rear 2M pixel webcam (1600x1200)
Battery Life: 6 hours
Battery Life Details: Playback downloaded video with WiFi turn off
Connectivity/Audio: Headphone jack, Micro USB, DC jack, Micro HDMI
Dimensions: 262(W)x165(H)x11.5(D)
Weight: 921g
Software: Walmart, Sam's Club, Vudu, eMusic, Kingsoft Office
Included Accessories: Power adapter, Keyboard Folio

If you happen to find something here worth your while, please hit the thanks button!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Droidify For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidify Ad-Free
26th April 2015, 04:13 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Rooting
Always remember, you root your device AT YOUR OWN RISK. Rooting will void your warranty and you may brick your device in attempting this. Its a choice and you're the only one who can make it.

Rooting instructions (tested up to RCA firmware 1.9.50):

(Beginning with a tablet never before rooted, or has been completely unrooted prior)
1. On your tablet, go to Settings > About tablet > Build number and tap the build number 7 times. This will unhide the Developer options menu.
2. Tap the Developer options menu. Enable it by sliding the slider to the right in top bar. Select "USB debugging" by placing a check mark in the box next to it.
3. Go to Settings > Security. Select "Unknown sources" by placing a check mark in the box next to it. Deselect "Verify apps" by removing the check mark in the box (you can enable it again afterwards if you wish).
4. Connect your tablet to PC via USB.
5. Download the Windows iRoot rooting application here.
6. Install the app.
7. Start iRoot and follow instructions to root. Remember to enable USB permissions on tablet when prompted.
8. Once successfully completed, download and install SuperSU from here to replace the Chinese root manager called Superuser 1.0.4.
9. Start SuperSU and you will be asked for permission, choose to allow.
10. SuperSU will prompt to install SU binary, go ahead with OK and install normally (not TWRP). IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO INSTALL THE BINARY.
11. Once SuperSU is installed and the binary updated, you can uninstall Superuser 1.0.4 and the second app it installs, something like "Clean Master" (unless you want it).

Happiness is now achieved with having a rooted device

* For further details regarding root, please see "Rooting considerations" in the Misc. section below.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidify For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidify Ad-Free
26th April 2015, 04:14 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Custom Recovery
Always remember, you install a custom recovery on your device AT YOUR OWN RISK. Installing a custom recovery will void your warranty and you may brick your device in attempting this. Its a choice and you're the only one who can make it.

99% of the credit for this section goes to johnemc2, PatF and mexicandroid for creating and contributing to this thread. Although it was created for a different but similar RCA tablet model, they provided everything I am going to reiterate here. Also the original thread for TWRP on MediaTek devices (which is the chipset for these RCA tablets) is here, and all credit goes to yuweng for this. Make sure to hit the thanks button in the respective threads for these guys!

TWRP installation instructions (tested up to RCA firmware 1.9.50):

1. Device must be rooted. See rooting section above or use another method of your choice.
2. Download the TWRP recovery image for the 6203 from here. Rename it by deleting "[RCA 6203 TWRP - Remove this tag]" so that the file name reads only "recovery.img" (with no quotes of course).
3. Place this file on your external sdcard.
4. Download and install [ROOT] Rashr Flash Tool from here. If the app suggests updates, go ahead and install them.
5. Rashr will ask you to make a backup. If you try, it will fail. Not to worry too much though, a stock recovery image is available below.
6. Start Rashr. From the menu, tap Recovery from Storage. From the "Pick a file" menu select /storage/emulated. Select /storage/, then select sdcard1/. From there select the recovery.img file you saved in step 3.
7. It will give you a warning prompt asking if you are sure. If so, select "Yes please" to install TWRP.
8. Upon successful flashing of TWRP you will have the choice to boot into the custom recovery, go check it out!
9. One procedural maintenance item to perform after: I have noticed that the rashr app holds on to a large amount of data for some reason and haven't found the need. Once you reboot, you can go into Settings > Apps > All and find Rashr and clear data to reclaim the space.

Good guide for using TWRP can be found here.

How to manually get into recovery (TWRP or stock):

From a powered off state, simultaneously depress the power and volume up buttons until the white RCA boot screen appears. Once this screen appears, release the power button but REMAIN DEPRESSING THE VOLUME UP BUTTON until you are in recovery.

Stock recovery installation:

It is the exact same procedure as was with TWRP, with the exception of step 2. Instead download the stock recovery image from here, rename it by deleting "[RCA 6203 Stock Repacked - Remove this tag]" so that the file name reads only "recovery.img" (with no quotes of course). Continue on using step 3 above. Check out why you might need the stock recovery image in the "Firmware updating considerations" area of the Misc. section below.

Ultimate happiness and assurance is now achieved with having a custom recovery installed on your device to back it up!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Droidify For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidify Ad-Free
26th April 2015, 04:15 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Accessories
Here are some of the accessories I am currently using for the 6203:

Cases:

The keyboard case is good, but I found it cumbersome in most cases and unnecessary. So I purchased this case from Ebay. Here are some photos of mine. I have had it for 5+ months with no issue upon daily use.

Screen Protectors:

I purchased this anti-glare and anti-fingerprint screen protector from Amazon. Although they now have it for the 6203, at the time they only had them for the 6103 and I had to modify it. But 5 months later it is still great. Being anti-glare means there is a slight matte to them, but overall I found it hardly effected the clarity of the screen. It really kept having to wipe off the screen due to fingerprints to a minimum!

I am just sharing what I have found to work for our devices and hope it helps you too in some way!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidify For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidify Ad-Free
26th April 2015, 04:15 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Customization Apps
Customization apps that require root (seeing rooting section above):
  • Xposed Framework. Man is this awesome. Here is the description from the site: Xposed is a framework for modules that can change the behavior of the system and apps without touching any APKs. That's great because it means that modules can work for different versions and even ROMs without any changes (as long as the original code was not changed too much). It's also easy to undo. As all changes are done in the memory, you just need to deactivate the module and reboot to get your original system back. There are many other advantages, but here is just one more: Multiple modules can do changes to the same part of the system or app. With modified APKs, you to decide for one. No way to combine them, unless the author builds multiple APKs with different combinations. You can find version 2.6.1 for our tablet here (select "show older versions" at the bottom of the page).
  • GravityBox [KK]. TONS of customization for our device. Find it here.

Customization apps that do not require root:

Blacked out or inverted apps. I love darkened apps. I prefer a black or dark background to most apps. It looks good and is easier on the eyes! You can download the Team Blacked Out updater apk from here. You can download many popular apps that have been "blacked out" by this team.

I am just sharing these apps for fellow fans of customization. Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidify For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidify Ad-Free
26th April 2015, 04:16 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Custom ROM's
[reserved]
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidify For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidify Ad-Free
26th April 2015, 04:17 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Misc.
Rooting considerations:
  • Although there is a risk of bricking the device in doing so, to date I have rolled through both the 1.3.51 and 1.9.50 RCA updates without the update being hindered by having my device rooted prior (never unrooted), and I have not lost root once the update completes. Although I have not tried this without, I believe this may be because I use SuperSU Pro OTA survival. This app is not necessary, but the free version does not have the "OTA survival mode" that the pro version possesses. I recommend spending the $3.75 for purchase.
Firmware updating considerations:
  • If you delete any of the bloatware apps that comes preloaded (VUDU, Walmart, Sam's Club, Opera, etc.) and try to update the device, it will soft brick your tablet. This is because the update performs a core app comparison check to test validity prior to completing installation. You will only be able to get into stock recovery once this happens. Therefore my recommendation is not to delete any of these apps but instead use Titanium or MyBackup Pro to freeze them, and prior to attempting any firmware update remember to UNFREEZE THEM FIRST. This will save you any headache with the firmware updates.
  • I do not think you can install an official firmware update via TWRP, so you may need to reinstall the stock recovery to do this. See the "Custom Recovery" section above.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Droidify For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidify Ad-Free
26th April 2015, 04:20 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Misc. #2
[reserved]
27th April 2015, 02:37 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
One frustrating thing about our device is that some apps will not install from the Play store. It will state "this item is not compatible with your device". Well I have tried many methods to circumvent this, including changing prop files and using apps that fake screen densities. I don't recommend that . Instead I sideload. I use a Google Chrome extension called APK Downloader. You can get it here. To set up it will ask for devide ID info. I plug in the number for my S4. Once downloaded, I just copy the apk over to my tablet and install from there. The only caveat to this is that it does not work for purchased apps.

There are other ways to procure the app and sideload, but this is the method I use most often for the 6203.
27th April 2015, 01:19 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
I have a support request in to RCA for these concerns (here is the text as I sent):

Hello,

I have 3 questions. The first is that by reading the specs for this tablet the CPU is supposed to be set for 1.5Ghz. But when you use the tablet, it is only set for 1300Mhz (1.3Ghz) (I can provide screenshots). Which is wrong and why?

My second question is do we have any access to a complete firmware ROM that can be used via recovery? This would be nice to have in case the tablet is soft bricked for any reason. Update ROMs do not provide this.

Lastly, is there anywhere to download USB drivers for this tablet?

Thanks in advance for your help.

From RCA:
Glen (RCA Support)
Apr 27, 3:18 PM
1) The max threshold is 1.5Ghz. The reason it is running at 1.3 is probably because your not using its absolute full capacity
2) We dont have the ROM
3) Is this for the USB stick or memory stick?
Glen
Technical Support
#Madeforyourlifestyle

My response:
Glen,
Here are my responses:

1. I have attached 3 screenshots from independent apps that all report the CPU set for 1.3Ghz and not 1.5Ghz. In fact they show the governor as having the range for the CPU set to 598-1300mhz. I believe this happened in the firmware 1.9.50 update and was not the case prior. Can you check to see why this was done? We purchased tablets that were intending on having a 1.5Ghz processor.
2. You will see many returns then from tablets that were soft bricked due to the most recent update corrupting the system file, and then only allowing people to boot into recovery and not into Android.
3. No, USB drivers as in this explanation: http://developer.android.com/tools/extras/oem-usb.html

Thanks. I really appreciate your assistance with these questions. Please let me know if there is any other information I can offer.

From RCA 5/4/15:
Glen (RCA Support)
May 4, 3:43 PM
The tablet will use the 1.5Ghz only when it will take big update like firmware updates.
#Madeforyourlifestyle

My response:
Glen,
There is no way for the Android kernel to know only to use full CPU capability during an upgrade procedure. Its there for all operations or it is not.
Can I have my concern escalated to your engineering team? As I said previous, the system showed 1.5Ghz was available in processing speed before the last upgrade.
Thanks

From RCA 5-7-15:
Hello,
We'd love to hear what you think of our customer service. Please take a moment to answer one simple question by clicking either link below:
How would you rate the support you received?
Good, I'm satisfied
Bad, I'm unsatisfied

Conclusion:
So apparently RCA doesn't intend to do anything about the most recent update failures outside of performing RMA's for people, and also doesn't care to answer why these tabs are advertised as 1.5Ghz and are being throttled to 1.3.
16th June 2015, 02:34 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs down Rct6203w46-android4.4.2-3101-v50-v1.3.71
What can I do with this or this - no ROM Backups, and an annoying 'brick' on my table?

I successfully rooted with KingRoot and tried to manually switch to SuperSU with a script I found.

The script seemed workable. I found all of the targets and: # root.sh ... oh *hi*

The transition failed and after trying to 'clean up' remnants the script seemed to have missed, the screen froze: RESET BUTTON - nothing, nothing, nothing.

I wish I hadn't believed it would work without a 'dd ... system.img'. The tablet had about 12hrs mileage and is now a very new [Black Friday] $49 item about to be smashed on the driveway.

oop:

I read somewhere that RCA will not be distributing winusb drivers.

*uc* it - i b-roke i-t!

It's Alive! After the battery drained, 2 weeks later, it booted!
removed supersu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	3365976   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	3365977  
Attached Files
File Type: txt MT8127_Android_scatter_emmc.txt - [Click for QR Code] (8.1 KB, 850 views)
File Type: txt FIRMWARE.info.txt - [Click for QR Code] (2.0 KB, 764 views)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)