By Droidify, Senior Member on 26th April 2015, 04:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd December 2015, 10:10 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jaxxy

I'm confused, is this thread on the RCA Pro 10 RCT6203W46KB or for it's successor (I assume) the RCA 10 Viking Pro RCT6303W87DK. I ask because I have the RCT6303W87DK and am looking to see if there are any ROMs for it, as I would prefer to be running Android 5.1.2 or 6.0 over 5.0.

This thread is only for the RCA RCT6203W46. I doubt there are any ROMS for the RCA tablets because custom recovery is needed for install, and to my knowledge there are no custom recoveries created for the newer models. ROMs were never even made for the older ones and I am assuming that is because they are not popular enough to warrant the time to build.
17th February 2016, 01:18 PM |#22  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidify

Always remember, you install a custom recovery on your device AT YOUR OWN RISK. Installing a custom recovery will void your warranty and you may brick your device in attempting this. Its a choice and you're the only one who can make it.

99% of the credit for this section goes to johnemc2, PatF and mexicandroid for creating and contributing to this thread. Although it was created for a different but similar RCA tablet model, they provided everything I am going to reiterate here. Also the original thread for TWRP on MediaTek devices (which is the chipset for these RCA tablets) is here, and all credit goes to yuweng for this. Make sure to hit the thanks button in the respective threads for these guys!

TWRP installation instructions (tested up to RCA firmware 1.9.50):

1. Device must be rooted. See rooting section above or use another method of your choice.
2. Download the TWRP recovery image for the 6203 from here. Rename it by deleting "[RCA 6203 TWRP - Remove this tag]" so that the file name reads only "recovery.img" (with no quotes of course).
3. Place this file on your external sdcard.
4. Download and install [ROOT] Rashr Flash Tool from here. If the app suggests updates, go ahead and install them.
5. Rashr will ask you to make a backup. If you try, it will fail. Not to worry too much though, a stock recovery image is available below.
6. Start Rashr. From the menu, tap Recovery from Storage. From the "Pick a file" menu select /storage/emulated. Select /storage/, then select sdcard1/. From there select the recovery.img file you saved in step 3.
7. It will give you a warning prompt asking if you are sure. If so, select "Yes please" to install TWRP.
8. Upon successful flashing of TWRP you will have the choice to boot into the custom recovery, go check it out!
9. One procedural maintenance item to perform after: I have noticed that the rashr app holds on to a large amount of data for some reason and haven't found the need. Once you reboot, you can go into Settings > Apps > All and find Rashr and clear data to reclaim the space.

Good guide for using TWRP can be found here.

How to manually get into recovery (TWRP or stock):

From a powered off state, simultaneously depress the power and volume up buttons until the white RCA boot screen appears. Once this screen appears, release the power button but REMAIN DEPRESSING THE VOLUME UP BUTTON until you are in recovery.

Stock recovery installation:

It is the exact same procedure as was with TWRP, with the exception of step 2. Instead download the stock recovery image from here, rename it by deleting "[RCA 6203 Stock Repacked - Remove this tag]" so that the file name reads only "recovery.img" (with no quotes of course). Continue on using step 3 above. Check out why you might need the stock recovery image in the "Firmware updating considerations" area of the Misc. section below.

Ultimate happiness and assurance is now achieved with having a custom recovery installed on your device to back it up!

It is beyond me how TEN MONTHS LATER, I'm the guy smackin that thanks button for you for the FIRST TIME!!! Good show my friend!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lenigma1too For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lenigma1too Ad-Free
5th March 2016, 03:06 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 88

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by probeafargavin

What can I do with this or this - no ROM Backups, and an annoying 'brick' on my table?

I successfully rooted with KingRoot and tried to manually switch to SuperSU with a script I found.

The script seemed workable. I found all of the targets and: # root.sh ... oh *hi*

The transition failed and after trying to 'clean up' remnants the script seemed to have missed, the screen froze: RESET BUTTON - nothing, nothing, nothing.

I wish I hadn't believed it would work without a 'dd ... system.img'. The tablet had about 12hrs mileage and is now a very new [Black Friday] $49 item about to be smashed on the driveway.

oop:

I read somewhere that RCA will not be distributing winusb drivers.

*uc* it - i b-roke i-t!

It's Alive! After the battery drained, 2 weeks later, it booted!
removed supersu

I'm glad yours restarted. Mine has been bricked since last November. I would still like to get it running & sell it to get back some of the money I spend on it & it's replacement, a Lenovo Tab2 A10-70F. I have that one running happily rooted, TWRP recovery, debloated with Xposed, Viper4AndroidFX, and Walkman Player. I have NO "reaction" from the RCA at all! Can't boot into recovery. Can't get Win10 Pro to "see" the RCA.I have all the needed drivers installed for SP Flash Tool. Java & everything updated. SP Flash Tool "sees" the Tab2, but nothing from the RCA. (Both have MTK chipsets)
BTW..it was my second RCA Pro10 tablet. The first crashed after the update install. I only used it for two months! (the Lenovo Tab2 is an incredible machine! So good, I took it to work!) I wish I could figure out how to "jump start" this brick!
6th September 2016, 11:41 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi all, is there or has anyone been able to update this device to lollipop? I'm running kitkat now; I've tried forcing the OTA update to no avail and been looking all over Google for a rom and nothing. Anything is appreciated. Thanks
25th September 2016, 04:04 PM |#25  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadevinicole

Hi all, is there or has anyone been able to update this device to lollipop? I'm running kitkat now; I've tried forcing the OTA update to no avail and been looking all over Google for a rom and nothing. Anything is appreciated. Thanks

No, I believe RCA has moved on and will no longer offer updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidify For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidify Ad-Free
26th September 2016, 01:00 AM |#26  

More
Are there any custom roms available?
26th September 2016, 09:19 AM |#27  
Flag Cheektowaga, NY
Thanks Meter: 851

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadevinicole

Are there any custom roms available?

No
27th September 2016, 05:15 AM |#28  

More
Ok. So I've kept looking around and found rctw6203w46kc. This this the Pro 10 Edition II, and has Android 5.0. From what I found, the physical specs are identical. Is there any way, in theory, that if we could get our hands on that firmware we could flash it on to our device? I'm sorry if I sound like a noob, I'm new to this so bare with me.
27th September 2016, 10:06 AM |#29  
Flag Cheektowaga, NY
Thanks Meter: 851

More
Might want to read this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3325158

Ask any questions, someone might help
The Following User Says Thank You to piperx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift piperx Ad-Free
29th September 2016, 04:09 AM |#30  

More
Thanks
11th November 2016, 06:15 PM |#31  
Flag canton

More
SuperSU and Custom Recovery finally installed correctly(rct6203w46)
Here is the process I had to take to get this thing(RCT6203W46) to take supersu and install binaries and recovery. I installed kingroot very easily and the first thing I thought I would try and tackle was a custom recovery so I followed the OP and used the recovery.img provided and I knew it was the right file because I had gotten it to work before by using Rashr flash tool and I tried to use this same app again but I could not get it to install this second time around. What I noticed happening was kingroot was not giving the flash app permission to install the recovery it kept saying it failed but I knew this app worked in the past. So what I had to do was reboot the tablet and as soon as it booted up I had to in a hurry open Rashr and hit install that was the only way to get it to give the correct permission. After I managed to get the recovery.img to install I made a back up and continued to try and install SuperSU correctly. This was the part that was driving me crazy the binary just would not install. I tried to do it through the SuperSU app and it would not take I also tried to use the zip file that had the mrw file in it and I placed the mrw file on my sd card and internal storage just in case and I used the terminal installer to get rid of kingroot and install SuperSU and it would not remove the kingroot apk or update the binaries still. So this is what I did I used Root explorer and I went into system apps found the kingroot apk and renamed it kingroot.apk.bak the file manager asked me if I wanted to change the file system to read only I believe I said yes and it renamed the file after this I took the SuperSU file that was inside the mrw file and copied it in my filemanager and pasted it to my system apps and again file manager asked if I wanted to change the file system and I did and it took the app and pasted it in my system apps. After I pasted the SuperSU app into my system apps I changed the permissions to the same as the kingroot apk which was rw-r-r I think that's 0644. After this I went to terminal because it was still running from the time I tried to install the mrw file and I typed in reboot and rebooted to make sure it took the permission change of the SuperSU app. It did so I went back to the SuperSU app opened it up and sure enough it installed the binaries correctly and now I have a custom recovery and the SuperSU app I want. I then went through my file manager and any files I had for kingroot I got rid off and I also did a search in my file manager to make sure I got everything and it pulled up some I missed and then I was able to uninstall those and then uninstall them from the app drawer.

Thanks to everyone for the file downloads and the great information that I take no credit for I just followed your lead. Thanks again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to farcus211 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift farcus211 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)