FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Release] Root the Palm phone

2,185 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,787

By deadman96385, Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer on 17th December 2019, 09:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here is a rooting method for the Plam Phone either the US variant or the Vodafone variant this has not been tested or confirmed working on any other device. This root method may break in the future because it is using a tool that isn't designed for the public i tried getting the firehose packaged with the tool to work in other edl flashing tools but was not able to get it working. So this is all we have for now. There is minimal risk in doing this it just has a lot of steps and it requires a pc running windows.

Note: This will wipe your device so anything stored on it will be lost please backup anything important like photos/contacts/etc
  1. Download and install Sugar QCT from here (Be sure to install the usb drivers as well)
  2. Included in the zip is the username and password that you will need to use to run the program please do not post it here.
  3. Boot the device into recovery by turning the device off and then holding the power button until it restarts 3-4 times and boots to recovery
  4. Select the option to go into emergency download mode
  5. Now plug the device into your computer and open Sugar QCT
  6. From the list select pepito/PVG100 (US) or pepito_vdf (Vodafone)
  7. Now select Upgrade this will download the palms firmware package and flash it to the device
  8. When it finishes do not close sugar
  9. Unplug your device and hold the power button for a few minutes so it will restart out of EDL mode, use a rubber band or something to apply pressure to it so you don't have to hold it
  10. Go to where Sugar QCT is installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\SUGAR QCT_SP_Gotu2\bin\)
  11. In there you should see a folder called PVG100-xxxx (The x's are your serial number)
  12. Copy that to your desktop or anywhere else that you like
  13. In the folder, there should be some random looking mbn files these are actually the firmware files just names are randomized to make using them harder.
  14. There should be a file called B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn if not look for a file that starts with a B it will be the boot.img
  15. You will need to push that to an android device and patch it with magisk manager.
  16. Once that is done replace the B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn in your copy of the firmware with the patched boot.img
  17. Boot it back into emergency download mode as previously stated
  18. Close and reopen sugar
  19. Copy your firmware copy back into C:\Program Files (x86)\SUGAR QCT_SP_Gotu2\bin\ be sure it is the same folder structure
  20. Now select your model again and then press the upgrade button in sugar this will now flash your modified firmware to the device.
  21. Once it finishes hold the power button for a few minutes so it will restart out of EDL mode, use a rubber band or something to apply pressure to it so you don't have to hold it
  22. When it restarts and powers up then go through setting the phone up and install magisk manager and you're rooted.

Before people ask i would recommend not installing twrp or trying to port it unless you flash it to the boot partition because without stock recovery there is no way to get into EDL so if you flash a bad twrp bringing it up your stuck.

Thanks to @StormSeeker1 for telling me about holding the power button for a few minutes to get out of EDL previously you had to let the phone die to get out of it which is a pain.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deadman96385 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th December 2019, 10:55 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Interesting, shall do it tomorrow.

Curious, this doesn't use the root exploit discussed in other threads? Where is (7) downloading from?
20th December 2019, 09:08 PM |#3  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Saint Paul, Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy20

Interesting, shall do it tomorrow.

Curious, this doesn't use the root exploit discussed in other threads? Where is (7) downloading from?

It doesn't use any root exploit, it's downloading the firmware directly from TCL servers, the tool used is designed for service centers.
21st December 2019, 03:41 PM |#4  

More
If they are the same hardware, it should be possible to flash Vodaphone over the top?
22nd December 2019, 06:45 AM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy20

If they are the same hardware, it should be possible to flash Vodaphone over the top?

They are signed with different keys, so it will probably cause the device to boot loop and or not startup. I would not recommend trying it.
22nd December 2019, 12:14 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 222

More
Is it possible to dump the radio files from an network unlocked device, and use these files to unlock Verizon network.
Any other ideas to unlock network?

Current findings:
1. Remove the Verizon sim warning.
Simply edit the /vendor/build.prop and modify line "ro.product.vzw=true" to false. However, it has a side effect, causing the contacts in dailer FC while browsering.
2. Enable diag, serial and QMI
One method is dialing "###2324#", another approach is launching "EngineerMode" through apps like quickshortcutmaker, then navigate to Connectivity - DiagProtector.
3. Boot animation path
/Vendor/JRD_custres/media/
4. Most garbage apps path
/Vendor /priv-app/
22nd December 2019, 09:09 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Every time I try to replace the MBN files after being patched the utility keeps redownloading the originals. Any advice?
23rd December 2019, 12:27 AM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xswxm

Is it possible to dump the radio files from an network unlocked device, and use these files to unlock Verizon network.
Any other ideas to unlock network?

Current findings:
1. Remove the Verizon sim warning.
Simply edit the /vendor/build.prop and modify line "ro.product.vzw=true" to false. However, it has a side effect, causing the contacts in dailer FC while browsering.
2. Enable diag, serial and QMI
One method is dialing "###2324#", another approach is launching "EngineerMode" through apps like quickshortcutmaker, then navigate to Connectivity - DiagProtector.
3. Boot animation path
/Vendor/JRD_custres/media/
4. Most garbage apps path
/Vendor /priv-app/

I put my t-mobile sim into mine and it worked fine no edits needed and mine is officially locked to verizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotaKat

Every time I try to replace the MBN files after being patched the utility keeps redownloading the originals. Any advice?

Are you postive that the folder structure is the same?
23rd December 2019, 03:56 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 222

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman96385

I put my t-mobile sim into mine and it worked fine no edits needed and mine is officially locked to verizon.

Are you postive that the folder structure is the same?

I am using another carrier, not USA ones, and it has problems with 4G network.
23rd December 2019, 09:31 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
it works, thanks
24th December 2019, 12:04 AM |#11  

More
Just began mind. So far it's stuck on 2%.

Regarding flashing Vodaphone over Verizon, if the ROM files are signed with different keys then modifying the boot.img will surely break the signage?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
palm-palm

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)