FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Release] Root the Palm phone

2,186 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,788

By deadman96385, Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer on 17th December 2019, 09:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th December 2019, 12:04 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Just began mind. So far it's stuck on 2%.

Regarding flashing Vodaphone over Verizon, if the ROM files are signed with different keys then modifying the boot.img will surely break the signage?
25th December 2019, 10:18 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy20

Just began mind. So far it's stuck on 2%.

Regarding flashing Vodaphone over Verizon, if the ROM files are signed with different keys then modifying the boot.img will surely break the signage?

Are you still stuck at 2%? Of downloading, or of flashing?
25th December 2019, 10:42 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 222

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman96385

I put my t-mobile sim into mine and it worked fine no edits needed and mine is officially locked to verizon.

Are you postive that the folder structure is the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapa_t

Are you still stuck at 2%? Of downloading, or of flashing?

Tried flash pvg100e over pvg100, it will stuck at the beginning and the program won't flash.
25th December 2019, 11:05 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xswxm

Tried flash pvg100e over pvg100, it will stuck at the beginning and the program won't flash.

Doesn't that empirically prove that different versions have different signatures, or at least ROM's are different enough to prevent switching over? Maybe we are just so lucky that boot.img is not checked as rigorously.
Is pvg100e for Vodafone? Where did you get the ROM if your device is pvg100?
Does it finish flashing if you do pvg100 over pvg100?
25th December 2019, 11:23 AM |#15  

More
Quote:

Doesn't that empirically prove that different versions have different signatures, or at least ROM's are different enough to prevent switching over? Maybe we are just so lucky that boot.img is not checked as rigorously.
Is pvg100e for Vodafone? Where did you get the ROM if your device is pvg100?
Does it finish flashing if you do pvg100 over pvg100?

The tool deadman provided definitely works if u follow the instruction and choose the right version.
For the signature issue, maybe u can find the answer in another thread about temporary root.
As to the version problems, pvg100 is for Verizon.
To my knowledge, the pvg100e is for many other vendors, such as Vodafone, and the UK version maybe share the same model name. There is another version pvg100eu, for European. U can find more evidence in the temporary root thread.
25th December 2019, 08:44 PM |#16  

More
So far the following:

Windows 10 64 - goes to 2% then after a few seconds a 5002 error.
Windows 7 64 inside Virtualbox - goes to 2% and then doesn't move.

I've tried the drivers and others on the web although the latest is around 2014/15.
26th December 2019, 05:42 AM |#17  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xswxm

The tool deadman provided definitely works if u follow the instruction and choose the right version.
For the signature issue, maybe u can find the answer in another thread about temporary root.
As to the version problems, pvg100 is for Verizon.
To my knowledge, the pvg100e is for many other vendors, such as Vodafone, and the UK version maybe share the same model name. There is another version pvg100eu, for European. U can find more evidence in the temporary root thread.

Checked last night, mine, pvg100, is snapdragon 430, and the China mainland version is pvg100c with snapdragon 435.
26th December 2019, 07:45 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 234

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman96385

It doesn't use any root exploit, it's downloading the firmware directly from TCL servers, the tool used is designed for service centers.

I'm not looking to root right now, but if I'm understanding this correctly this should mean that I can use SugarQCT to pull the latest version (1AMD) firmware for my Palm that doesn't show any OTA's available and is still on the original 1AGL firmware. Is that correct?

Thanks for making this happen, deadman96385!
26th December 2019, 10:25 PM |#19  
Flag Canberra
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Quote:

No need for empirical proof, I did the analysis here.

The difference is: the early part of boot is Qualcomm code using Qualcomm security. These are the "pbl", "sbl/edl" and "aboot/fastboot" programs (and also "modem", "tz" and other bits). These were the parts that I was looking at in the link above.

When "aboot" completes, it hands over to the late part of boot, which is Android code using Google security. These are the "boot.img/Linux kernel" programs, "recovery", "system", "vendor", "data", etc. They use a different security model. That's what this root method targets. You are correct when you say "Maybe we are just so lucky that boot.img is not checked as rigorously".

It does imply that you can mix the PVG100 Qualcomm partitions for "early boot" with the PVG100E Android partitions for "late boot" and vice-versa. But someone with motivation needs to test this... (No, you can't unlock cellular bands this way; the "modem" partition is from Qualcomm and must match your hardware.)

A good diagram is below; Source (and explanation): https://blog.quarkslab.com/analysis-...ot-chains.html -- I recommend studying this article.

Flowchart of the Qualcomm secure boot chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuds

I'm not looking to root right now, but if I'm understanding this correctly this should mean that I can use SugarQCT to pull the latest version (1AMD) firmware for my Palm that doesn't show any OTA's available and is still on the original 1AGL firmware. Is that correct?

This should work. Keep in mind that whilst 1AMD seems to be fine, future versions may (permanently) close the vulnerabilities that allow you to get root, modify system partitions or use the current version of SugarQCT. I don't think this will happen but we should all keep the possibility in mind.
27th December 2019, 10:05 PM |#20  

More
Which Windows version are people using? I've tried W10 and also W7 through a virtualbox but with the above errors.
28th December 2019, 04:00 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy20

Which Windows version are people using? I've tried W10 and also W7 through a virtualbox but with the above errors.

W10 works fine for me
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
palm-palm

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)