[Release] Root the Palm phone

Search This thread

scm007

Mar 27, 2020
I am trying to patch the 1AMG boot .mbn file. However I do not have access to another Android device so I am running into an issue. I have pushed the Magisk apk to the Palm but for some reason the option to patch the boot image doesn't show up. Am I doing something wrong or is the Palm not able to do the patching on device itself? Can I do this with an emulator?

al07th

Jan 12, 2018
Xiaomi Mi A1
Am I doing something wrong or is the Palm not able to do the patching on device itself? Can I do this with an emulator?
Can't answer this question, I didn't try to patch the boot file on unrooted device, but it supposed to work as it do nothing to the phone itself, it only patches the file.
One of our forum members said that emulator was not working for him, coz the architecture was not arm64. He got a bootloop after flashing the img file that was patched by the emulator.

You can drop your boot file here, I will patch it for you.

bensdeals

Jan 25, 2007
Anyone find a fix for the NPRG Error (Error Code - 5002)? On 11.9.7R and the Live update just sticks on Checking Version for 5 min. Device Manager Shows the phone as Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM4). I've tried a different USB with the same error. I'm on Palm PVG100 1AMG.

snoopy20

Jul 21, 2008
It's a common problem. I installed v12.xx which fixed it but that version is since blocked. I went back to v11.xx and the error code had gone, but I don't know if it's something else I did.

capridream

Mar 10, 2009
capri
Can't answer this question, I didn't try to patch the boot file on unrooted device, but it supposed to work as it do nothing to the phone itself, it only patches the file.
One of our forum members said that emulator was not working for him, coz the architecture was not arm64. He got a bootloop after flashing the img file that was patched by the emulator.

You can drop your boot file here, I will patch it for you.

hi here the file , the firmware is 2agkufk2

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/bd...d8ff54a5ec915dea6ebaaad920200329134314/f44df4

bensdeals

Jan 25, 2007
Yeah 12.2.3R gives me the Tool Version Forbidden error. Going back to 11.9.7R still gives me Load NPRG Error 5002. Guess I should have tried root earlier.

It's a common problem. I installed v12.xx which fixed it but that version is since blocked. I went back to v11.xx and the error code had gone, but I don't know if it's something else I did.

scm007

Mar 27, 2020
Can anybody patch this boot file with magisk please? I don't have access to another android device to do it.
drive.google.com/file/d/19ETdFearP4nlR-W33nuSr2HqCgC2uhfy

al07th

Jan 12, 2018
Xiaomi Mi A1
Last edited:

capridream

Mar 10, 2009
capri
Hi friend, i m on 2agkufk2 the model of the downloaded firmware in bin/download/ is Y2AGK0K0CV00. Do you think that the post for root will work for me or doyou belive that is better to wait for another exploit? when i have tried with the first versione of the firm us-verizon the phone gone in bootloop. What do you think ?

darthghoul

Apr 24, 2020
No need for empirical proof, I did the analysis here.

The difference is: the early part of boot is Qualcomm code using Qualcomm security. These are the "pbl", "sbl/edl" and "aboot/fastboot" programs (and also "modem", "tz" and other bits). These were the parts that I was looking at in the link above.

When "aboot" completes, it hands over to the late part of boot, which is Android code using Google security. These are the "boot.img/Linux kernel" programs, "recovery", "system", "vendor", "data", etc. They use a different security model. That's what this root method targets. You are correct when you say "Maybe we are just so lucky that boot.img is not checked as rigorously".

It does imply that you can mix the PVG100 Qualcomm partitions for "early boot" with the PVG100E Android partitions for "late boot" and vice-versa. But someone with motivation needs to test this... (No, you can't unlock cellular bands this way; the "modem" partition is from Qualcomm and must match your hardware.).

I would like to unlock my bootloader, and I'm willing to sacrifice my verizon palm phone currently on 2AGA.

Based on what I read somewhere else, the verizon bootloader is locked, but the european bootloader isn't.

Based on what you wrote, it should be possible to mix and match by replacing just the verizon bootloader with the european bootloader, as the bootloaders are
part of the "late boot" partitions - correct?

user822

Apr 6, 2013
How long does flashing normally take?
I was stuck for 10min in "reading" on 2%

thanks:victory: I didn't flash anything into it, and two days later, its battary run out, haha:laugh:

Dito here, I thought it was dead, no buttons worked, but after one night battery ran out and it was back

Last edited:

GNUhOrMiGa

Mar 19, 2013
i have pvg100 and the lte band is not compatible with my country LTE band , wounder if i can flash pvg100e over it as eu lte band is compatible wih my country lte?

any idea?

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 AM ----------

i used the guide but in this step
(Once that is done replace the B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn in your copy of the firmware with the patched boot.img)
I renamed the patched boot.img to the orginal file name B1AMG0G0CV00.mbn and paste it back to the folder and flash it , is this right?
I got a message "Your device has loaded a different operating system..." and boot loop !! cannot bypass it

Hi, did you get to do the PVG100 compatible with the LTE bands at your country? I can´t use the 4G band in my country with a PVG100 in 1AMG with hardware version 03.

Thanks in advance

Ineptsidekick

May 18, 2020
[[[Is anyone still available to patch files?

I can DM you a link, but am too new to post a direct link here.

Thanks to anyone that can help, I am trying to get rid of all the verizon nonsense on my "unlocked" phone.]]]

never mind, I figured out that the second phone does not need to be rooted. You just need magisk manager installed (the icon inside the magisk app will say you are not yet installed), then you can patch the palm boot file.

Last edited:
Reactions: ronii1123

a.vandelay

Oct 25, 2010

Attachments

• 20200518_190837.jpg
    20200518_190837.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 20200519_073432.jpg
    20200519_073432.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 20200519_073416.jpg
    20200519_073416.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Reactions: rfresh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a rooting method for the Plam Phone either the US variant or the Vodafone variant this has not been tested or confirmed working on any other device. This root method may break in the future because it is using a tool that isn't designed for the public i tried getting the firehose packaged with the tool to work in other edl flashing tools but was not able to get it working. So this is all we have for now. There is minimal risk in doing this it just has a lot of steps and it requires a pc running windows.

Note: This will wipe your device so anything stored on it will be lost please backup anything important like photos/contacts/etc

1. Download and install Sugar QCT from here (Be sure to install the usb drivers as well)
    2. Included in the zip is the username and password that you will need to use to run the program please do not post it here.
    3. Boot the device into recovery by turning the device off and then holding the power button until it restarts 3-4 times and boots to recovery
    4. Select the option to go into emergency download mode
    5. Now plug the device into your computer and open Sugar QCT
    6. From the list select pepito/PVG100 (US) or pepito_vdf (Vodafone)
    7. Now select Upgrade this will download the palms firmware package and flash it to the device
    8. When it finishes do not close sugar
    9. Unplug your device and hold the power button for a few minutes so it will restart out of EDL mode, use a rubber band or something to apply pressure to it so you don't have to hold it
    10. Go to where Sugar QCT is installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\SUGAR QCT_SP_Gotu2\bin\)
    11. In there you should see a folder called PVG100-xxxx (The x's are your serial number)
    12. Copy that to your desktop or anywhere else that you like
    13. In the folder, there should be some random looking mbn files these are actually the firmware files just names are randomized to make using them harder.
    14. There should be a file called B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn if not look for a file that starts with a B it will be the boot.img
    15. You will need to push that to an android device and patch it with magisk manager.
    16. Once that is done replace the B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn in your copy of the firmware with the patched boot.img
    17. Boot it back into emergency download mode as previously stated
    18. Close and reopen sugar
    19. Copy your firmware copy back into C:\Program Files (x86)\SUGAR QCT_SP_Gotu2\bin\ be sure it is the same folder structure
    20. Now select your model again and then press the upgrade button in sugar this will now flash your modified firmware to the device.
    21. Once it finishes hold the power button for a few minutes so it will restart out of EDL mode, use a rubber band or something to apply pressure to it so you don't have to hold it
    22. When it restarts and powers up then go through setting the phone up and install magisk manager and you're rooted.

Thanks to @StormSeeker1 for telling me about holding the power button for a few minutes to get out of EDL previously you had to let the phone die to get out of it which is a pain.
    Well thanks first to @deadman96385 for sharing this root method.

Next, huge thanks to @rainydaze for his quick response last night to my questions. With his help I was able to finally get my Verizon Palm PVG100 rooted!

So for anyone still interested I'd like to add some tips that helped me get this done along with some troubleshooting.

My main issue was when I had the Palm in edl mode the Sugar app asks to download drivers but then times out with a server error and never downloads them.

But @rainydaze was able to send me a link to the Qualcomm drivers needed for the phone to be recognized while in edl mode (otherwise widows just says unrecognized and the sugar app can't communicate with the phone.)
    Here is the link he sent me:

Once the drivers installed it immediately found my device and started installing them on my old Windows 7 laptop.

Next I chose pvg100 from the drop down and clicked update. This took a very long time (I'm guessing they are not prioritizing their servers to complete these downloads very quickly!)
    So it took almost an hour before it finally downloaded and installed the firmware, and the phone rebooted automatically.
    The reason you want to leave the Sugar app open once it says finished and "successes" 😀 is because the firmware that it just took an hour to download gets deleted right when the app is closed. So that's why you want to copy to your desktop or somewhere else first.

I saw some questions on renaming the "B" mbn file (which is the stock boot image). So this might be helpful:

1)Copy the "B".mbn file to any android phone that has magisk installed (even if it's not rooted that's fine, you are just using the patch feature of Magisk).

2) Click the Magisk install button (the first one, not the app one)

3)Choose Select and patch a file (it can patch a file with the extension of mbn and doesn't need to be renamed yet)

4)The magisk patched file will have an "img" extension instead of mbn. So on your computer you have to enable the option to see the file extension on all files (this is usually hidden by default and there are different ways to do this depending on your computer so you will have to Google that)

5)Now you take the magisk patched file and rename it to the exact name it was before with the mbn extension instead of the img extension.

6)Paste that over top of the original one in the firmware folder you saved.

7)Then paste that entire folder back into the bin directory (the original one should have disappeared because you closed Sugar).

8)Now put your phone back in edl and reconnect it and when you click update instead of it taking an hour to download from their servers it will think that the downloading is already done because there is a new firmware folder in it's bin.

9)This update process should be much faster (mine jumped from 2% to 45% right away). But even though it's using your new firmware it still needs an internet connection on your computer to work (I tried turning off the internet to make sure it didn't download the same firmware again, but the connection fails and won't work).

10)Use a USB jump drive or Google Drive to get the Magisk Manager apk onto the Palm and then install (you probably should use the same Magisk Manager version that you used to make the patch).

DONE!

Hopefully that helps out anyone else who is stuck. And thanks again to members like @rainydaze who helped someone out that they've never met just to be nice! That's what makes XDA great!
    Patched for you with Magisk 20.3
    https://we.tl/t-Wjc9J0UpqO
    Let me know if root succeeded , my experience 1Axx fw not rootable

Good luck
    I boot my pvg100 into emergency, then "Get Version", the process didn't move, and then I unplugged usb cable, now I stuck in emergency mode:crying::crying::crying:

Hold down the power button for a few and it will reboot and then let off. If you need to get back into EDL just hold down the power button until it reboots to recovery normally 4 reboots and then you can go back into EDL.