Review Of 'Dual Sim Control' – Dual SIM Management App for Mediatek Based Phones

Search This thread

Russell_S

Feb 24, 2013
Portsmouth
NOTE: This review was written when the app used to be called 'MTK Control'. So any references in the text to 'MTK Control' now refer to the app's new name of 'Dual Sim Control'.

I have been using chinese dual SIM phones for quite some years now and love the facilities they provide. I can have both my work SIM and my personal SIM in one device rather than having to carry two phones around with me as I used to. Also using the dual SIM solution allows both SIM's to be connected to the hands free system in my car so that I can make and receive calls on either SIM through the car system.

However, there has always been a downside and that is the SIM management facilities built in to Android. When making a call or text, when you press the send button a box will pop up asking which SIM you want to use to make the call/text which you have to select before the call is made. There is a facility whereby you can assign each contact in your address book to a particular SIM but even this does not automatically make the call using the assigned SIM. All that happens is that when you make a call/text the same box will pop up asking which SIM to use and the only difference is that now there will be an indicator next to one of the SIM's recommending it based on the SIM assignment but you still have to manually select it. Now I don't find this a particular problem when using the phone normally but it is a major problem when using the phone via the hands free system in my car because when I make a call through the car system the box still pops up on the phone asking which SIM to use which is a big drawback and means that the phone has to be accessible and visible while in the car.

However, I have now found a great solution that I have been using for about a month now and is working great. It is an APP called 'MTK Control' which is available through the Google Play Store and is available as a free version and a premium version. I would suggest testing it with the free version first to make sure it will work with your phone but if it does work ok then I would wholeheartedly recommend purchasing the premium version which is only 79p (around $1) and adds additional functionality like homescreen widgets etc.

So, what does 'MTK Control' do that the built in SIM management does not. Well, everything to be honest. Firstly it gives you toggle actions to turn each SIM on/off or to toggle calls between the two SIM's and also to toggle the data connection between the two SIM's.

All of these functions can be added as widgets to the homescreens in the premium version as shown below.

However the best part comes with the ability to create rules to assign contacts and numbers to a particular SIM and have that SIM used automatically with no user intervention required. This is done in the following screen.....

….where you can input a single number, a group of numbers using wildcards, an individual contact or a group of contacts and then select which SIM you want to assign this rule to. So the following screen shows that the contact groups 'Family', 'Friends' and 'Services/Shops Personal' are asigned to SIM 1 (personal SIM) and the groups 'Coworkers', 'Customers' and 'Services/Shops Work' are asigned to SIM 2 (work SIM).

There is also an auto learn function that can be activated so that the first time you dial a new number or contact it will ask you which SIM to use but it will then automatically create a rule for this number so that in the future it will be automatically chosen.

The best part about this is that it works seamlessly with the hands free system in the car. When I initiate a call from the car system the phone will automatically select the SIM to use based on the rules that have been setup. This means that I don't need to physically access the phone at all and it can stay in my pocket.

In my view this app does what the built in SIM management should have done from the start. The developer of the app is constantly updating it with new features and is very approachable and takes on board feature requests.

One word of note, as the title of this thread suggests, the app will only work with Mediatek based mobile phones and will not work with phones like the Samsung Duos range etc. I personally have tested it with the following phones:

UMI X1S (MTK6589)
Jiayu G3 (MTK6577)
Jiayu G4 (MTK6589)
Jiayu G4S (MTK6592)

I haven't used the text or data functionality so can't comment on that specifically but the call related functions and the calling rules I use all the time and have worked flawlessly.

NOTE: This app is now called 'Dual Sim Control' and is now compatible with Samsung Duos phones as well as MTK based phones.

I have no connection whatsoever with the developer of this app. I am just a very happy user of it.

Last edited:

Russell_S

Feb 24, 2013
Portsmouth
Update: Edited top post to reflect this additional information.

I have now tested and can confirm that 'MTK Control' also works on the Jiayu G4S phone which uses the MTK6592 Octa-core SOC.

Reactions: joaormf

joaormf

Jul 25, 2006
Hi,

Thanks Russell for the review.

I'm the developer of this app, and if you have any doubts regarding the app, suggestions, or problems with any function please contact me directly using the contacts available at the Google Play app page or (as long as Russell doesn't mind having his thread slightly hijacked) ask here.

Thanks

Bomberfrog

Oct 13, 2014
MTK on G4S

I have now tested and can confirm that 'MTK Control' also works on the Jiayu G4S phone which uses the MTK6592 Octa-core SOC.

Hi Russell,
I have a G4s but don't seem able to get it to work right, can you confirm that you are using the kitkat rom with this?
I have bound numbers with the app and with the system but still asks me for a sim when dialling via Bluetooth.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks

joaormf

Jul 25, 2006
Hi,
Can you post the configuration you have on MTK Control, and on Android Settings.
Do you have any contact SIM preference defined?

Bomberfrog

Oct 13, 2014
Hi,
Can you post the configuration you have on MTK Control, and on Android Settings.
Do you have any contact SIM preference defined?
Hi,
what info do you need?
I have some numbers as preferred in contacts (they show a little symbol and the sim card name next to them in the phone book) and added some rules also in mtk control, and slid the enable button on and it said always validate, but still get the box pop up saying which sim.

Let me know if you need anything else, and thanks for looking at it.

joaormf

Jul 25, 2006
Hi,
what info do you need?
I have some numbers as preferred in contacts (they show a little symbol and the sim card name next to them in the phone book) and added some rules also in mtk control, and slid the enable button on and it said always validate, but still get the box pop up saying which sim.

Let me know if you need anything else, and thanks for looking at it.

Hi,

try to remove all the preferred contacts in Android settings, and then set on of the SIMs as the preferred one. This way I think that the Android popup to select SIM should not be shown.

Then you use MTK Control entirely to select the SIM used to dial.

Please tell me if this helped.

elmajor

Feb 23, 2009
is confirmed working on kitkat ?, I have huawei honor 3c. thank you

I confirmed that it works off sims, but not to create rules, always asked to choose sim, its free version. my phone huawei honor 3c

Last edited:

joaormf

Jul 25, 2006
is confirmed working on kitkat ?, I have huawei honor 3c. thank you

I confirmed that it works off sims, but not to create rules, always asked to choose sim, its free version. my phone huawei honor 3c
Hi,

I've made an upgrade last week to improve KitKat compatibility.
However, the best is to try the free version like you did. There is also a grace period on the payed version (not in-app purchase, only on the full version) so you can always try all the functions and cancel the order to get refunded.

Regarding your problem when you say that you are always asked to choose sim, you're talking about a MTK Control popup or the stock Android popup? If it's the latest, look my previous post where I explain how to get the best experience with the Call Rules.

Regards

Bomberfrog

Oct 13, 2014
Hi,

try to remove all the preferred contacts in Android settings, and then set on of the SIMs as the preferred one. This way I think that the Android popup to select SIM should not be shown.

Then you use MTK Control entirely to select the SIM used to dial.

Please tell me if this helped.

Hi
Sorry for delay, did a full reset of phone to make sure no other apps messing with it.
No sim associations are set in android.
voice calls set to always use one sim
Rules created in MTK control to use second sim.
Phone will dial via Bluetooth speech recognition and appears to choose the sim but call ends without ever connecting. No box pops up asking for sim choice, interestlingly if the screen lock is off the calling screen doesn't show either.
I can hand dial a number and it appears to choose the sim and show calling screen but uses Bluetooth for voice.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

joaormf

Jul 25, 2006
Hi
Sorry for delay, did a full reset of phone to make sure no other apps messing with it.
No sim associations are set in android.
voice calls set to always use one sim
Rules created in MTK control to use second sim.
Phone will dial via Bluetooth speech recognition and appears to choose the sim but call ends without ever connecting. No box pops up asking for sim choice, interestlingly if the screen lock is off the calling screen doesn't show either.
I can hand dial a number and it appears to choose the sim and show calling screen but uses Bluetooth for voice.
Any other ideas?
Thanks
So if you dial using Bluetooth the call is never made... but if you dial from phone with the Bluetooth connected it works as expected?

Can you send me the application debug information after replicating the first situation?

Thanks

Bomberfrog

Oct 13, 2014
Hi,

can you please try to increase the time before the call is made using MTK Control settings?
Try it with 0 ms delay or with a delay like 500 ms.

Tell me how it goes...

Changed the delay to 500ms and this has fixed it, now dials via Bluetooth speech recognition and call connects.
Many thanks for the advice and help.
Steps for anyone else having an issue.
1.remove associations in android
2.set sim association in MTK control
3. set a sim as default for voice in android
4. set time delay to 500ms in MTK

Thanks again:D

joaormf

Jul 25, 2006
as remove associations in android?. thx
Hi,

In Android settings you can define one of the SIMs as the prefered one for a given contact.
This associations induce, in my opinion, a not very user friendly behaviour even .when not using my app.

You should remove them to make sure that my app can work it's magic without interferences.

joaormf

Jul 25, 2006
does it work on xperia c
Hi,

I believe that it doesn't work, but you can try it with the free version. I'm however preparing a new MTK Control version that will bring support to Android One and Samsung phones.

Join the Google+ community since I will announce there when it's released.

Thanks

Reactions: crizz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: This review was written when the app used to be called 'MTK Control'. So any references in the text to 'MTK Control' now refer to the app's new name of 'Dual Sim Control'.

I have been using chinese dual SIM phones for quite some years now and love the facilities they provide. I can have both my work SIM and my personal SIM in one device rather than having to carry two phones around with me as I used to. Also using the dual SIM solution allows both SIM's to be connected to the hands free system in my car so that I can make and receive calls on either SIM through the car system.

However, there has always been a downside and that is the SIM management facilities built in to Android. When making a call or text, when you press the send button a box will pop up asking which SIM you want to use to make the call/text which you have to select before the call is made. There is a facility whereby you can assign each contact in your address book to a particular SIM but even this does not automatically make the call using the assigned SIM. All that happens is that when you make a call/text the same box will pop up asking which SIM to use and the only difference is that now there will be an indicator next to one of the SIM's recommending it based on the SIM assignment but you still have to manually select it. Now I don't find this a particular problem when using the phone normally but it is a major problem when using the phone via the hands free system in my car because when I make a call through the car system the box still pops up on the phone asking which SIM to use which is a big drawback and means that the phone has to be accessible and visible while in the car.

However, I have now found a great solution that I have been using for about a month now and is working great. It is an APP called 'MTK Control' which is available through the Google Play Store and is available as a free version and a premium version. I would suggest testing it with the free version first to make sure it will work with your phone but if it does work ok then I would wholeheartedly recommend purchasing the premium version which is only 79p (around $1) and adds additional functionality like homescreen widgets etc.

So, what does 'MTK Control' do that the built in SIM management does not. Well, everything to be honest. Firstly it gives you toggle actions to turn each SIM on/off or to toggle calls between the two SIM's and also to toggle the data connection between the two SIM's.

All of these functions can be added as widgets to the homescreens in the premium version as shown below.

However the best part comes with the ability to create rules to assign contacts and numbers to a particular SIM and have that SIM used automatically with no user intervention required. This is done in the following screen.....

….where you can input a single number, a group of numbers using wildcards, an individual contact or a group of contacts and then select which SIM you want to assign this rule to. So the following screen shows that the contact groups 'Family', 'Friends' and 'Services/Shops Personal' are asigned to SIM 1 (personal SIM) and the groups 'Coworkers', 'Customers' and 'Services/Shops Work' are asigned to SIM 2 (work SIM).

There is also an auto learn function that can be activated so that the first time you dial a new number or contact it will ask you which SIM to use but it will then automatically create a rule for this number so that in the future it will be automatically chosen.

The best part about this is that it works seamlessly with the hands free system in the car. When I initiate a call from the car system the phone will automatically select the SIM to use based on the rules that have been setup. This means that I don't need to physically access the phone at all and it can stay in my pocket.

In my view this app does what the built in SIM management should have done from the start. The developer of the app is constantly updating it with new features and is very approachable and takes on board feature requests.

One word of note, as the title of this thread suggests, the app will only work with Mediatek based mobile phones and will not work with phones like the Samsung Duos range etc. I personally have tested it with the following phones:

UMI X1S (MTK6589)
    Jiayu G3 (MTK6577)
    Jiayu G4 (MTK6589)
    Jiayu G4S (MTK6592)

I haven't used the text or data functionality so can't comment on that specifically but the call related functions and the calling rules I use all the time and have worked flawlessly.

NOTE: This app is now called 'Dual Sim Control' and is now compatible with Samsung Duos phones as well as MTK based phones.

I have no connection whatsoever with the developer of this app. I am just a very happy user of it.

does it work on xperia c
    Hi,

I believe that it doesn't work, but you can try it with the free version. I'm however preparing a new MTK Control version that will bring support to Android One and Samsung phones.

Join the Google+ community since I will announce there when it's released.

Thanks
    @joaormf
    Thank you for your realy helpful app.
    It worked great for me with lolipop, but is not working at all with marshmallow - will you update your app, or do i have to life without it?
    BR
    Lion
    Hi,

I will update, but don't know when it will be ready.