FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Free-Droid - One-Click Rom Installation Assistant

130 posts
Thanks Meter: 45

By imska, Senior Member on 1st July 2019, 03:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Code:
I am not responsible for any damage resulting from the use of the Free-Droid software.
Introduction
Free-Droid is an application designed to help you install custom roms on your Android device. It is supposed to make the process of finding, downloading and installing a rom (with addons like Magisk, F-Droid and microG) as easy as possible. The primary audience is all the folks who do not really know anything about Android, TWRP or roms, but still would like to run a free, open-source and non-bloated Android on their devices. Using a free after-market rom like LineageOS should not be restricted to the few people with enough technical know-how to do the complex installation procedure all by themselves.
Free-Droid is free and open-source and is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. As of now, it should be working fine with Samsung, OnePlus, NVidia, Sony and Motorola devices and with all other devices that already have TWRP installed.

Download
Download from the official website. You can check on the website if Free-Droid will work with your device before downloading!

Images

What it does
  • help you activate USB debugging
  • help you install drivers
  • help you unlock the bootloader
  • download and install TWRP
  • update TWRP if a newer version is available
  • download and install a rom
  • download and install Magisk, F-Droid and MicroG

Features and explanations
Please visit the Gitlab page of the project for more details!

Compatibility
Free-Droid is supposed to work on as many devices as possible. Supported brands as of now are:
  • Every device that already has TWRP installed
  • Samsung
  • Motorola
  • Oneplus
  • NVidia
  • Sony
For the support status of a specific device, you can either run Free-Droid on your computer and connect your device or look up at the device codename in the lookup table used by Free-Droid.
If your device is not displayed or listed as supported, it does not mean that Free-Droid will not work with it - just try it! Only if Free-Droid says that your device is not supported you can be sure that it will not work. As of now, Free-Droid will display device untested for most devices, because I will only mark a device as supported if a few people tested it and confirmed it is actually working fine.

Changelog
For a changelog please just have a look at the commits on gitlab.

Beta
Although Free-Droid already runs very well, I was not able to test it on a lot of computers and with many different devices. Therefore, consider Free-Droid to be beta software for now.
Besides, there are a few things that still need to be implemented. What is not working yet:
  • project treble devices and roms
  • A/B devices
  • devices that need special treatment like storage repartitioning
Finally, in order to lead Free-Droid out of the beta phase of development, a lot of testing needs to be done. This way, Free-Droid will know more reliably which devices can be expected to be workable without issues and which ones it should deny to work on.

Further development plans
  • figure out how to automatically send bug reports
  • add support for more brands that can be easily unlocked
  • handle A/B devices
  • handle project treble GSI roms
  • add a button to abort a running installation procedure
  • create packages for 32 bit computers
  • add MoKee rom
  • add /e/ rom
  • add possibility to install openGapps instead of microG ?
  • fix crash on windows if changing folder on rom selection dialog
  • add a way backup and restore using TWRP
  • add more documentation to the gitlab page

I need you
Please test Free-Droid on your computer and with your device.
In case of issues: use the button in Free-Droid to pack a bug report and either send it with an email or create an issue on the gitlab issue tracker.
If you have a device of a supported brand for which Free-Droid does not find a rom by itself, please leave me a message with a link to a working rom (and/or TWRP image). If you can confirm that the rom is stable and fully working, I will add it to the Free-Droid unofficial archive and it will become available in Free-Droid.
If you know about a faulty official release of TWRP or a rom, please also leave me a message. Example: the latest few official releases of TWRP for i9305 (Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE) are faulty and fail when trying to install a rom with sideload. Free-Droid uses a specific version of TWRP in that case and can automatically handle cases like that in general. I just need to know which devices need a workaround.

Thanks To/Credits
XDA:DevDB Information
Free-Droid, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
imska
Source Code: https://gitlab.com/amo13/free-droid

Version Information

Created 2019-07-01
Last Updated 2019-11-06
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to imska For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift imska Ad-Free
12th July 2019, 03:56 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodusnick

download for linux coming soon ?

Download for Linux is already there.
Download for Mac coming soon (as soon as I figure out how to create a mac-app with a bundled jdk and launchable by click)
The Following User Says Thank You to imska For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift imska Ad-Free
12th July 2019, 04:24 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodusnick

Download for Linux 404 Not Found
https://free-droid.com/
Downlad for Windows yes for Linux no

You're absolutely right, thanks for pointing that out!
Fixed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imska For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift imska Ad-Free
23rd July 2019, 03:00 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Mac support has landed. You can now download Free-Droid for MacOS.

Depending on your Gatekeeper settings, you might need to launch Free-Droid by right-clicking on it and selecting Open. If it still fails to start, try to start the file called "right-click open" in the same way.
The Following User Says Thank You to imska For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift imska Ad-Free
23rd July 2019, 08:30 PM |#8  
Flag Southwest, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 178

Donate to Me
More
It is out and works with Ubuntu 18.4.2 and a Galaxy S5 (kltedv). Can Take a bit to download and install all of its Binaries .... A bit like Odin look. Similar to Skipsoft, with out a huge amount of reading.
Version 0.6.6 ; build 20190723; Lic-GPL-3.0

keep up the work on this! Seems rather easy to use.
Will keep an eye for updates coming..
The Following User Says Thank You to godofsalt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift godofsalt Ad-Free
13th September 2019, 11:44 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
This is beatiful! I wasted probably 2 hours this morning to get a android 9 on my old s5 since i need it for a project, i'm not a complete newby, i rooted and changed rom many time in the last 8 years but i do it every once in a while, so i always have to check for tutorials again and there is alwasy some step that don't go as planned, as today the rom was not installing, was almost ready to give up to not lose more time, saw this, was almost sure this would gone wrong somewhere as all automated stuff while after a couple of clics and 5/10m my s5 was ready with android 9 on it. THIS IS JUST BEATIFUL and great, hope it gain the visibility it deserve!
Really GREAT job!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broked For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Broked Ad-Free
15th September 2019, 12:01 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Ladies and gentlemen,
Support for OnePlus devices has landed.!
Assuming that the bootloader unlock procedure is the same on all OnePlus devices, Free-Droid should work perfectly with them now. Still, any bug report is welcome.
Developed and tested with a OnePlus X (onyx).
Happy flashing to everyone!
15th September 2019, 10:10 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Fixed bug when connecting device on the latest release.
Pushing update to the server right now, just restart the application and let it update itself.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)