I am not responsible for any damage resulting from the use of the Free-Droid software.
Free-Droid is an application designed to help you install custom roms on your Android device. It is supposed to make the process of finding, downloading and installing a rom (with addons like Magisk, F-Droid and microG) as easy as possible. The primary audience is all the folks who do not really know anything about Android, TWRP or roms, but still would like to run a free, open-source and non-bloated Android on their devices. Using a free after-market rom like LineageOS should not be restricted to the few people with enough technical know-how to do the complex installation procedure all by themselves.
Free-Droid is free and open-source and is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. As of now, it should be working fine with Samsung and Motorola devices and with all other devices that already have TWRP installed.
Download from the official website. Please be patient, it's hosted on a slow private internet connection.
What it does
- help you activate USB debugging
- help you install drivers
- help you unlock the bootloader
- download and install TWRP
- update TWRP if a newer version is available
- download and install a rom
- download and install Magisk, F-Droid and MicroG
Features and explanations
Please visit the Gitlab page of the project for more details!
Free-Droid is supposed to work on as many devices as possible. Supported brands as of now are:
- Every device that already has TWRP installed
- Sony (coming soon)
- Oneplus (coming soon)
If your device is not displayed or listed as supported, it does not mean that Free-Droid will not work with it - just try it! Only if Free-Droid says that your device is not supported you can be sure that it will not work. As of now, Free-Droid will display device untested for most devices, because I will only mark a device as supported if a few people tested it and confirmed it is actually working fine.
For a changelog please just have a look at the commits on gitlab.
Although Free-Droid already runs very well, I was not able to test it on a lot of computers and with many different devices. Therefore, consider Free-Droid to be beta software for now.
Besides, there are a few things that still need to be implemented. What is not working yet:
- project treble devices and roms
- A/B devices
- devices encrypted by default (I don't know, did not test, maybe it does work)
- devices that need special treatment like storage repartitioning
Further development plans
- figure out how to automatically send bug reports
- add support for Sony devices
- add support for Oneplus devices
- add support for more brands that can be easily unlocked
- handle A/B devices
- handle project treble GSI roms
- add a button to abort a running installation procedure
- create packages for 32 bit computers
- add MoKee rom
- add possibility to install openGapps instead of microG ?
- fix crash on windows if changing folder on rom selection dialog
- add a way backup and restore using TWRP
- add more documentation to the gitlab page
I need you
Please test Free-Droid on your computer and with your device.
In case of issues: use the button in Free-Droid to pack a bug report and either send it with an email or create an issue on the gitlab issue tracker.
If you have a device of a supported brand for which Free-Droid does not find a rom by itself, please leave me a message with a link to a working rom (and/or TWRP image). If you can confirm that the rom is stable and fully working, I will add it to the Free-Droid unofficial archive and it will become available in Free-Droid.
If you know about a faulty official release of TWRP or a rom, please also leave me a message. Example: the latest few official releases of TWRP for i9305 (Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE) are faulty and fail when trying to install a rom with sideload. Free-Droid uses a specific version of TWRP in that case and can automatically handle cases like that in general. I just need to know which devices need a workaround.
- Resurrection Remix
- XDA for being the one and only place for custom android stuff
- You and the rest of the XDA community for helping make Free-Droid better
Free-Droid, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)
Source Code: https://gitlab.com/amo13/free-droid
Last Updated 2019-08-18