Thanks Meter: 54

By imska, Senior Member on 1st July 2019, 03:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st December 2019, 09:10 PM |#31  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Update to the free-droid.com website: You can now see if Free-Droid is missing a rom or a twrp image for your device. You can also see the codename of your device (or if the model name you entered is not recognized).
A few recognized devices will have available twrp and rom but will still figure as not compatible. In that case it is because Free-Droid does not know (yet) how to unlock and install twrp onto your device brand.
3rd December 2019, 01:27 AM |#32  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Tried Both - Same Result
Yes I tried with admin and without, same result. The second step is where it fails, checking for version update. Not sure what is happening here, since the software doesn't install (it runs without installing in Windows) it's verifying that I have the latest release version. So if the check determines I need an updated version might that be a difference in what you see and what I'm getting? In other words, am I having an issue because I need an updated version but something is interfering? I'll check the log and message back. Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imska

Thanks for reporting here.
I just redownloaded and checked on my side, but everything works fine for me. To my knowledge, it is not necessary to launch the exe with admin privileges. Does it work if you launch it with a normal double-click?

Is there otherwise anything insightful in the log file?

3rd December 2019, 07:07 AM |#33  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbonine

Yes I tried with admin and without, same result. The second step is where it fails, checking for version update. Not sure what is happening here, since the software doesn't install (it runs without installing in Windows) it's verifying that I have the latest release version. So if the check determines I need an updated version might that be a difference in what you see and what I'm getting? In other words, am I having an issue because I need an updated version but something is interfering? I'll check the log and message back. Thank You!

Yes it's a portable application, no installation/setup needed.
I did push an update 2 days ago, current version is now 0.7.8. You could download the latest version again just to make sure you don't need any update and try again. If it still doesn't launch correctly, I would suspect some firewall setting or similar to be the culprit.

Edit: Another problem I can think of is that Free-Droid calls a powershell command in windows to replace the jar files in the bin folder. Applying an update is nothing more than downloading the latest Free-Droid.jar file and replacing the running one inside the bin folder. You could try to 'manually' update by doing that yourself. But only if you aren't running the latest version already...
6th December 2019, 10:52 AM |#34  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Very nice app !
The only thing missing ( for me at least ) is gapps options
7th December 2019, 12:54 AM |#35  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shicomm

Very nice app !
The only thing missing ( for me at least ) is gapps options

Thank you!
GApps is planned, but fixing a few bugs is higher priority for now
But just out of curiosity, what is there that gapps can do and the that the open alternatives can't?
9th December 2019, 03:29 PM |#36  
Flag Málaga
Thanks Meter: 2

More
If it says "rom available no", is that a non-starter? It's a galaxy s8.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbleypants For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wibbleypants Ad-Free
9th December 2019, 04:13 PM |#37  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbleypants

If it says "rom available no", is that a non-starter? It's a galaxy s8.

Yes, it's a non-starter.
Still, you can try it out by finding a Rom for that device (look for it on XDA with the codename of your device) and in free-droid select your rom zip file. I can't guarantee that it's going to work, but if you find a rom and you try it out, I'd be happy to read the feedback. If all is fine and the rom proves stable, I can save it so other users with the same device can use it right away.
9th December 2019, 04:17 PM |#38  
Flag Málaga

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imska

Yes, it's a non-starter.
Still, you can try it out by finding a Rom for that device (look for it on XDA with the codename of your device) and in free-droid select your rom zip file. I can't guarantee that it's going to work, but if you find a rom and you try it out, I'd be happy to read the feedback. If all is fine and the rom proves stable, I can save it so other users with the same device can use it right away.

Thanks. The project pixel rom looks interesting. So I just download your app, launch it and select the downloaded rom and great things will happen?
9th December 2019, 06:15 PM |#39  
Flag Málaga

More
Quote:

Thanks. The project pixel rom looks interesting. So I just download your app, launch it and select the downloaded rom and great things will happen?

That didn't work. Just keeps saying reboot your device. Done that half a dozen times. Perhaps I'll try the Windows version.

Tried the win version. Same result. Looking in the log, it says it's tried to run heimdall.exe in a directory that doesn't exist. It thinks I have the files in /users/user/Downloads/ whereas they are actually in /usuarios/user/descargas/.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote:

That didn't work. Just keeps saying reboot your device. Done that half a dozen times. Perhaps I'll try the Windows version.

Tried the win version. Same result. Looking in the log, it says it's tried to run heimdall.exe in a directory that doesn't exist. It thinks I have the files in /users/user/Downloads/ whereas they are actually in /usuarios/user/descargas/.

Moved it to the root of another drive:

"IOError: Cannot run program "bin/heimdall.exe" (in directory "F:\Free-Droid-WIN"): CreateProcess error=2, file not found"
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbleypants For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wibbleypants Ad-Free
10th December 2019, 01:27 PM |#40  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
The issue with running bin/heimdall.exe is already known, I'll try to tackle that in the following days.

But I assumed it was only a windows issue. Did you get this same issue on Linux/Mac?

Otherwise: at what point exactly are you prompted to reboot your device? Did you start the flashing procedure beforehand, is your device detected correctly? Can I see a log of the situation when that problem occurs?
10th December 2019, 02:54 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Sorry but do you think I can run this app on a HTC One M8 (UK) and can install a ROM that changes the language ? (Need European languages so have a Stock ROM)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)