FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROOT][TWRP][ROM]Samsung Galaxy on5 [MetroPCS/T-Mobile]

720 posts
Thanks Meter: 387

Thread Deleted Email Thread
Samsung Galaxy on5 is a pretty good phone for the price. Today I share my root method and debloated stock system backup for all to enjoy.

The version of TWRP I am linking to WAS NOT MADE BY ME. It is an official build of TWRP for our phone.
To prepare the phone to be rooted you will need a few things:
  1. Download ODIN from the following link: Download ODIN
  2. Download TWRP ODIN flashable TAR file for the on5 here: Download TWRP (It will say it is for T-Mobile only, but works on MetorPCS as well)
  3. Download SuperSU Latest Stable here: Download SuperSU
  4. Download Samsung Drivers if needed: Download Drivers

Once the above is downloaded you must then do the following:
  1. On the phone goto Settings->About and tap "Build Number" 10 times to enable Developer Mode.
  2. Go to Settings->Developer Mode and select "Enable OEM Unlock"
  3. Then power off the device.
  4. With the device powered off hold "VOL-DOWN + HOME + PWR" until Download mode appears.
  5. Plug the phone into the computer and start ODIN with Administrator Rights.
  6. Open Odin and place that TWRP TAR file in the [AP] slot, under Options tab disable Auto Reboot, then press [Start]
  7. When ODIN says the flash is complete in the log window, pull the battery and put the battery back in.
  8. Before turning back on hold "VOL-UP + HOME + PWR" to enter recovery.
  9. Once in recovery go to Mount->Enable USB Mass Storage
  10. Copy the SuperSU zip to the phone's storage
  11. Disable USB Mass Storage
  12. Go to Backup->Start Backup to backup the phone IN CASE OF ISSUES!!
  13. Go to Install->Select SuperSU zip file and wait.
  14. Once done, reboot the phone and you should be good!

For the custom ROM, I will be posting the information, instructions, and downloads on my website LINKED HERE You will find the download at the bottom of that page. If you have issues please let me know.
  1. Download the system image from the link above
  2. Extract the zip file to your external SD Card: (Example: Phone:\Ext_sd\TWRP\backups\)
  3. Reboot into recovery (vol-up+home+pwr
  4. Make sure System Read only is not enabled in Mount settings.
  5. Select "Restore" -> Select the Folder you just put on your external SD Card
  6. Wait for a few minutes.
  7. After that is done, go back to the recovery home
  8. Then select "Wipe"
  9. Select "Data", "Cache", and "Dalvick Cache", and "Internal Storage" ONLY (
  10. IF UPDATING FROM A PREVIOUS VERSION YOU MUST CLEAR CACHE/DALVIK CACHE!!!!)
  11. Slide to wipe.
  12. Some users are reporting that you need to also restore DATA only from a stock ROM backup.
  13. Then reboot.
  14. Follow android setup as normal
  15. Profit.
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to sandix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandix Ad-Free

14th August 2016, 01:52 AM
Flag destrehan
Thanks Meter: 273

More
I got that phone today and I was looking for roms for it. this is all I ran across. I already rooted it and have twrp and whatnot, tweaked it some. I was wondering f this is the 6.0.1 rom and if I need to unzip it and place it where my other twrp backup is or do I just flash it like it is?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whodisname For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift whodisname Ad-Free
15th August 2016, 04:50 PM
OP Senior Member
Flag USA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodisname

I got that phone today and I was looking for roms for it. this is all I ran across. I already rooted it and have twrp and whatnot, tweaked it some. I was wondering f this is the 6.0.1 rom and if I need to unzip it and place it where my other twrp backup is or do I just flash it like it is?

This is the latest OEM ROM, debloated and rooted. So it is 6.0.1 based. and yes it is a TWRP backup so place it on the internal (Or External) SD card under "sdcard://TWRP/BACKUPS/<RANDOM_ID>/"

It is pretty much completely debloated, left a couple samsung stuff in to keep some features working, but most bloat is gone, which gives a lot of space back to the user, figured I would post it here for others to use if they wanted
The Following User Says Thank You to sandix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandix Ad-Free
18th August 2016, 12:31 AM
Flag destrehan

More
I used it. Its nice, saved me a gig. I have all the apps I really want on sd card and now I have almost 2 gigs free. Was at about 750mb. Thnks for this, saved me a bit of work! Appreciated!
18th August 2016, 11:55 PM
Flag destrehan

More
You wouldnt happen to know how to get this thing to use adoptable storage, would you?
Adb shell sm partition-disk: 179,32 private does nothing
19th August 2016, 05:07 AM
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:

You wouldnt happen to know how to get this thing to use adoptable storage, would you?

I have tried everything to get adoptable storage to work BUT sammy must have blocked it via firmware.....ive tried multiple cards ,terminal ,root essentials app...nothing works
20th August 2016, 05:04 AM
OP Senior Member
Flag USA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Adaptable Storage is a Kernel level thing, one way to do adaptable storage is to remount the SDCARD (While it is formatted to ext3), and mount it to (Or as) a folder in the /user-data partition (/data).

I can attempt to modify the kernel to allow this, but it might brick the phone because of Knox or something. I will try it out on a spare.

Edit:
Install busybox, then try the instruction here (Note the sm list-disks command, MAKE SURE TO DO THIS)
http://www.xda-developers.com/enable...7-and-s7-edge/
20th August 2016, 07:25 AM
Thanks Meter: 8

More
ey i'm lookin to debloat my g550t1 but i dont really want to lose everything to install the rom. is there any chance you'd be able to give a quick run down on what's safe to remove? if not that's cool, i realize it'd probably be fairly uninteresting to you and time consuming.

anyways thanks for the work! glad to see this phone getting more love. hope more good stuff comes in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to bandtab For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bandtab Ad-Free
20th August 2016, 02:18 PM
Flag destrehan

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandtab

ey i'm lookin to debloat my g550t1 but i dont really want to lose everything to install the rom. is there any chance you'd be able to give a quick run down on what's safe to remove? if not that's cool, i realize it'd probably be fairly uninteresting to you and time consuming.

anyways thanks for the work! glad to see this phone getting more love. hope more good stuff comes in the future.

What you van do here is boot into TWRP and make a backup of just your data, or a full backup if you want. Then restore thos rom (its only boot and system) then go to the backup you just made and them restore just the data. Thats what I did. You can delets all the knox apps. I did, then I went looking in all the folders and deleted anytbong that said knox in the name. I deleted a few security files and also beacon manager. If you dont get all the security files, you get a "unfortunatly security has stopped" eroor one time after boot.
All the knox can go without any extra work..

I have busybox and adoptable storage will not work. If you can fix it cool, if not, still cool! Just wish I had a little bit more storage on here for apps.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using XDA-Developers mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whodisname For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift whodisname Ad-Free
20th August 2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandix

Adaptable Storage is a Kernel level thing, one way to do adaptable storage is to remount the SDCARD (While it is formatted to ext3), and mount it to (Or as) a folder in the /user-data partition (/data).

I can attempt to modify the kernel to allow this, but it might brick the phone because of Knox or something. I will try it out on a spare.

Edit:
Install busybox, then try the instruction here (Note the sm list-disks command, MAKE SURE TO DO THIS)
http://www.xda-developers.com/enable...7-and-s7-edge/

Well i tried it all again BUT still no adoptable storage working....If u do make a working custom kernel that would be sweet....im trying this all on a spare unused ON5 before i mess with "her" live phone....lol.

If this just had a bit more free memory it be a fine phone for awhile.
The Following User Says Thank You to hofs1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hofs1 Ad-Free
21st August 2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Any help installing xposed framwork in the samsung galaxy on5 ?
How do you install xposed framework in the samsung galaxy on5? (Sorry if this is out of place I always end up in a boot-loop and can't find a way to successfully install it

(The way I recover from that is using twrp and using a xposed unistaller zip file located here --->
mirror41.downloadandroidrom.com/download/tools/Xposed/6.0/xposed-uninstaller-20150831-arm.zip?token=335900416 go to the bottom of the page where it says "download here" for the file.)
Subscribe to Thread

Tags
samsung-galaxy-on5

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)