FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[How-To] Root (Ulefone Armor 6)

75 posts
Thanks Meter: 70

By Extosis, Member on 13th July 2019, 07:23 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Background:
So, I recently bought the, “Ulefone Armor 6” Android phone. I didn't do much research into rooting the phone before I bought it, however tonight I did and couldn't find any solution. So I made my own.

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible if you damage, brick, or willingly alter your phone in any way shape or form blah blah blah, you get the point.

Prerequisites:
Make sure you have drivers installed, here.

Rooting process:

1. Obtain a local copy of the, “boot.img” file from the stock rom archive, which can be found on the, “Ulefone” website.

2. Download the compressed file of your choice, "EU" or "Non-EU." (Ex. I downloaded the one for, "Non-EU" which is, "Armor_6_RF1_V01_user_20190329.tar.gz")

3. Extract the downloaded file in the location of your choice, using your favorite archive extractor (7-zip, winzip, winrar, etc...)

4. To begin the root process, Download the android app or .apk file "Magiskmanager.apk" from the Magisk Manager website, and install it in your, Armor 6 device. (Note: the Play Store does not have the, Magisk Manager app.)

5. Now pass the, "boot.img" file downloaded earlier from your computer to your Armor 6 device. Place the "boot.img" file preferably in the "downloads" folder of your Armor 6 device.

6. Open up the Magisk Manager app, and click, "install 19.3" (or what ever is the current version is) then click, "Select and Patch a File".

7. Locate your, "boot.img" file you placed in your downloads folder, and patch it with Magisk Manager. (Note: This step will create another file named, "Magisk_patched.img" in your device.)

8. After Magisk Manager has patched your file, pass the patched file from your downloads folder, back onto your computer. (Note: Not necessary but customary, to rename the patched file to, "boot.img")

9. Now, in your Armor 6 phone, go to your settings, scroll down to system click it, click on about phone, and then tap the crap out of build number, until you have become a developer.

10. Go back from about phone, click on developer options, and tick on "OEM unlocking." also scroll down and tick, "USB debugging."

11. Download ADB tools with fastboot from Android/Google.

12. With the phone connected to the computer, open up the folder where ADB is located in command prompt and type, "adb reboot bootloader"

13. Now that you are in fastboot mode, type the following prompts into the command. (NOTE: the following commands will WIPE your phone clean to stock, so backup any important files/documents before you wipe.)
  • fastboot oem unlock
    OR (if the first one fails, try the second one)
  • fastboot flashing unlock
14. Once you have unlocked your bootloader, reboot the phone, "fastboot reboot", wait till the phone boots up, go through the setting up process, enable USB debugging again (Step 13), install magisk manager again, and "adb reboot bootloader" in adb command prompt.

15. Once in fastboot mode again, flash the patched, "boot.img" file. (Note: This command will not wipe your device.)
  • fastboot flash boot boot.img
16. Reboot the phone once more, open up magisk manager, and enjoy root.

A lot of steps yes, but simple easy to do.
Note: that the basis of my instructions on telling you what to do is my assumption of you the end user having basic if not full knowledge of what I am talking about. Because I wont be providing help for basic knowledge, if that makes sense. I do not plan on making a video as this tutorial is mainly meant for users who already know what of the majority they are doing with the tools they are using. If anyone wants to make a video feel free to share it here, I will added to the thread. thanks!

UPDATE 1.0:
I organized a thread on this link, with everything needed to root, twrp, and stock image.

UPDATE 1.2:
Re-organized this thread. Removed a few steps. Added more detail to this thread specifying a few things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190713-003928.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	4791390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190713-003939.png
Views:	518
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	4791391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190713-003852.png
Views:	528
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	4791392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190713-003909.png
Views:	508
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	4791395  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Extosis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Extosis Ad-Free
13th July 2019, 07:34 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 380

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extosis

Story:
I recently bought the, Ulefone Armor 6 Android phone. Didn't do much research into rooting before I bought it, however tonight I did and couldn't find any solution. So I made my own.

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible if you damage, brick, or willingly alter your phone in any way shape or form blah blah blah, you get the point.

Rooting procedure:
1. Get a local copy of the boot.img file from the Ulefone website (To make things simpler for you, Ulefone.com/index.html > Scroll down and click on "download" > Select your device model "Armor series" "Armor 6" > Scroll all the way down and click the download button for "The latest rom".)
2. Now you are at the google drive folder from Ulefone, with the files you need. Select EU if you have the EU version, or Non-EU for any other country.
3. Download the compressed file of your choice EU or Non-EU. (Ex. I downloaded the one for Non-EU which is, "Armor_6_RF1_V01_user_20190329.tar.gz")
4. Open the file in your favorite archiver software, 7-zip, winrar, etc.... open the first folder in the archive, and extract "boot.img"
5. Download, "Magiskmanager.apk" from their Magisk Manager, and install it in your, Armor 6 phone.
7. Pass the, "boot.img" file from your computer to your cellphone. Preferably the "downloads" folder.
8. Open up Magisk manager, and click install 19.3 (or what ever is the current version) then click "Select and Patch a File".
9. Find your "boot.img" file and patch it with magisk manager.
10. After magisk manager has patched your file, pass the patched file, back onto your computer.
11. Now, in your Armor 6 phone, go to settings, scroll down to system and click it, click on about phone, and then tap the crap out of build number, until you become a developer.
12. Go back from about phone, click on developer options, and tick on "OEM unlocking".
13. Scroll down and tick on USB debugging.
14. Download your ADB tools with fastboot from android/google.
15. With the phone connected to the computer, open up the folder where ADB is located in command prompt and type, "adb reboot bootloader"
16. Now that you are in fastboot mode, type the following prompts into the command. (NOTE: the following commands will WIPE your phone clean to stock, so backup any important files/documents.)

• fastboot oem unlock
    OR (if the first one fails, try the second one)
  • fastboot flashing unlock
17. Once you have unlocked your bootloader, reboot the phone "fastboot reboot", wait till the phone boots up, go through the set up process, enable USB debugging again (Step 13), install magisk manager again, adb reboot bootloader in adb command prompt.
18. Once in fastboot mode again, flash the patched boot.img file.
  • fastboot flash boot boot.img
19. Reboot the phone once more, open up magisk manager, and enjoy root.

A lot of steps yes, but simple easy to do.
Note: that the basis of my instructions on telling you what to do is my assumption of you the end user having basic if not full knowledge of what I am talking about. Because I wont be providing help for basic knowledge, if that makes sense.

Nice work around for a phone that doesn't have Twrp

(9//9)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoochyX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PoochyX Ad-Free
21st July 2019, 09:14 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoochyX

Nice work around for a phone that doesn't have Twrp

(9//9)

Upon doing a bit more research, the phone actually has TWRP & a TWRP fork.
21st July 2019, 10:25 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
How do we know we can trust you? I'm a nubee as I've said.
21st July 2019, 10:37 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 380

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleB89

How do we know we can trust you? I'm a nubee as I've said.

Then this isnt for you and stick with stock... Stock honestly works just certain people want greater freedom with thier phones only issue is with that you yourself at greater risk of breaking something and wouldn't know how to fix it and in situations like that factory restores wouldn't even save you because the system partition doesn't go back to the way it was with a factory restore

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
21st July 2019, 11:00 PM |#6  

More
I understand and accept the risk. I'm asking if this is a legit fix or some attempt to put malware on my phone.
22nd July 2019, 01:46 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleB89

I understand and accept the risk. I'm asking if this is a legit fix or some attempt to put malware on my phone.

Well to start with, I didn't attach anything in this thread, only photos.
1. You bought the phone, a phone that is made from a Chinese company, odds are that it already has malware, backdoors, or things you don't want on the OS.
2. Like I said, I didn't attach anything for you to download, so I am not infecting you with anything. Fastboot even comes with Google SDK.
3. Magisk is a wide known group who release root for the public to download/install. Just like TWRP, clockworkmod, cynaogenmod, etc...
4. If you don't feel comfortable doing this process, then like stated above, you should probably feel safer staying with stock & no root.

As I am sure, everyone who mod their devices are fully aware of the consequences of exploiting their devices. Brinking, killing, or messing something up.
Cheers.
30th July 2019, 12:44 PM |#8  
Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 9

More
For the life of me I cannot get the drivers to install. I've tried on Windows 10 and 7, but can't get fastboot to recognize the device. ADB works just fine, but Windows won't recognize the device when in recovery. I tried the official Ulefone drivers for Windows 10 and 7, as well as the MTK/VCOM usb drivers through manual installation.. How did you get it working? What other drivers are you using?
1st August 2019, 02:12 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fitz

For the life of me I cannot get the drivers to install. I've tried on Windows 10 and 7, but can't get fastboot to recognize the device. ADB works just fine, but Windows won't recognize the device when in recovery. I tried the official Ulefone drivers for Windows 10 and 7, as well as the MTK/VCOM usb drivers through manual installation.. How did you get it working? What other drivers are you using?

I have literally used the "driver installer" from the Ulefone website. Install the MTK/VCOM Drivers.
Adb gets detected in TWRP & Fastboot is found on my computer just fine.
My suggestion would be to check if your anti-virus (if you have one) if it's blocking the drivers from being installed.

Ps: I have the latest Windows 10 1903 x64 Edu and the drivers work perfectly.
8th August 2019, 11:40 AM |#10  

More
Will try at end of month and tell you guys the result later.
11th August 2019, 10:42 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hi!!!

Thanks for the tutorial. I managed to root my Ulefone Armor 6.
Just one thing, maybe it will be nice to add in the tutorial (suggestion): Magisk generates another boot.img file, called magisk_patched. That is the one to be used on step 17 (rename it before).

One question. If I do a factory reset, will the phone remain rooted? Can't remember for the life of me from past roots I've done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stabys For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stabys Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ulefone-armor-6

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)