Root Huawei y6 ii based on Kirin 620 - CAM-L03, CAM-L23 and CAM-L21

Search This thread

jameelmemon

Nov 27, 2013
Dubai
There are three steps involved to root huawei y6 ii or any huawei device
If you have bootloader unlocked please proceed to step number 2

1. Unlocking bootloader (this will erase all your data and reset to factory settings)
Note:-
Unlocking device bootloader will void your phone warranty, and you won’t claim it back.
Follow the steps correctly otherwise you may brick your device. We are not responsible for any damage to your phone.
It will erase all your Internal Storage Data, so we advise you first to take a complete backup of your phone and then proceed.
Ensure that your phone has at least 50-60% charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in-between the process.

First, enable ‘USB debugging’ and ‘OEM Unlock’ option from setting > developer option > To enable Developer Options, go to About phone and tap the Build Number 7 times.
oem_unlock.jpg

Install the ADB and fastboot driver for windows or ADB and Fastboot for Mac and then restart if you already have the driver installed then skip this step.

Visit Unlocking booloader page
Login with huawei Id or create new one
accept agreement and press next

Fill the given form it will ask you a product identification code, (to know that dial * # * # 1357946 # * # *) fill the MEI code and submit.
serial number of phone is available at Settings > About Phone > Status
IMEI is available at Settings > About Phone first IMEI should work fine if not use secon IMEI

View attachment 3938461

Now you have unlock code. Save it for later use.

Now go to ADB and Fastboot installation directory open ADB folder and open the command window there by pressing and hold the ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in that folder.
cmd-6.jpg

Now connect your phone to PC and reboot the device into fastboot mode by typing “adb reboot bootloader”.
Type “fastboot devices” in command prompt and hit enter, it gives you serial numbers in return means your phone connect properly.

To unlock bootloader of Huawei Honor 5X, type “fastboot oem unlock unlock-key”. Here replace unlock-key with the key you got from huawei portal. For example “fastboot oem unlock 21084949302847″.

Above step will Unlock Bootloader of Huawei Devices. To restart the system type “fastboot reboot”.This is the complete guide of how to unlock

This is the complete guide to unlock bootloader of any Huawei Devices.

2. Installing custom recovery TWRP
Huawei Y6ii is technically Huawei P8 lite so you may use below TWRP 3.0.2 Recovery for P8 Lite Marshmallow recovery that works absolutely fine as it is based on Kirin processor do not flash it if you Y6 ii is not based on Kirin

Requirements to install custom recovery
unlocked bootloader (follow the guide above)
enable OEM unlock to be enabled (goto settings > developer option > enable OEM unlock)

All credits goes to @XePeleato Iam not developer of this recovery
Download recovery

For those who's want or need look into the sources
Git Source

copy TWRP3.0.2.img to adb folder and rename it to recovery.img to flash easily

now issue below commands in fastboot mode
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
after successful installation of recovery then reboot to recovery

3. Installing SU
download superSU by chainfire
install donwloaded zip via TWRP

* this root is systemless root so it will not be wiped if you will install updates via OTA

Last edited:

cronociclope

Sep 30, 2012
Trujillo
It should work with any of CAM-L03, CAM-L23, CAM-L21, CAM-L32 if if processor is Hisilicon kirin 620..

Hi and thanks for the tutorial. The Huawei Y6 II (variant L-03) is among my purchase options (since it broke the screen of my Galaxy A5), and wanted to know if after doing this procedure did not give you any problem and if the Recovery works correctly, my question is mainly because the TWRP is the P8 Lite And while they have virtually identical hardware, there is always a risk. A hug.

jameelmemon

Nov 27, 2013
Dubai
Hi and thanks for the tutorial. The Huawei Y6 II (variant L-03) is among my purchase options (since it broke the screen of my Galaxy A5), and wanted to know if after doing this procedure did not give you any problem and if the Recovery works correctly, my question is mainly because the TWRP is the P8 Lite And while they have virtually identical hardware, there is always a risk. A hug.
I haven't encounter any issue just is shows external sdcard 2 times where ever there is storage selection while i can flash any zip, backup/restore full system, clear cache, backup/restore data (Initially i was not able to backup data partition) but after factory reset it works fine.. So over all there is no any issue observed

jameelmemon

Nov 27, 2013
Dubai

P8 lite is not virtually identical but technically it have same hardware only difference is screen size.. one of the processor in both devices is KIRIN 620 which matters and RAM is also same

Last edited:

cronociclope

Sep 30, 2012
Trujillo
I haven't encounter any issue just is shows external sdcard 2 times where ever there is storage selection while i can flash any zip, backup/restore full system, clear cache, backup/restore data (Initially i was not able to backup data partition) but after factory reset it works fine.. So over all there is no any issue observed

P8 lite is not virtually identical but technically it have same hardware only difference is screen size.. one of the processor in both devices is KIRIN 620 which matters and RAM is also same
Thanks for the info, most likely I will buy it these days, just have it I will do this procedure, I will notice any news. Greetings. :good:

Mr.Myo Aung

Jul 20, 2012
SORRY

Sorry for my bad english.i mean huawei bootloader unlock webside isn't response.show only about emui 5.0. Thanks for reply.

cronociclope

Sep 30, 2012
Trujillo
Sorry for my bad english.i mean huawei bootloader unlock webside isn't response.show only about emui 5.0. Thanks for reply.
Sometimes the page does not work well, in that case you must enter your Chinese page (uses google translator) in order to register. Good luck.

@jameelmemon I finally went to the store and found the P9 Lite at a good price. Also, I shared this post in a Facebook Group of the Y6 II and comment that it has worked. Thank you so much.

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

My phone got bricked. Do you have recovery image for CAM-L21?

Hi, first download official firmware with Firmware Finder: Here
Then, use Huawei Update Extractor Tool: Here
Good luck.

Reactions: aldramelech

jameelmemon

Nov 27, 2013
Dubai
Sometimes the page does not work well, in that case you must enter your Chinese page (uses google translator) in order to register. Good luck.

@jameelmemon I finally went to the store and found the P9 Lite at a good price. Also, I shared this post in a Facebook Group of the Y6 II and comment that it has worked. Thank you so much.

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Hi, first download official firmware with Firmware Finder: Here
Then, use Huawei Update Extractor Tool: Here
Good luck.

Thanks for that could you please confirm if phone you bought is P9 lite or p8 lite as i know TWRP recovery is for p8 lite and can work on y6 ii kirin based as both have same hardware

BiBacker

Nov 22, 2016
TWRP is attached and working absolutely fine on CAM-L21, but i don't have stock recovery.. what exact issue are you facing? is your phone Kirin based?

Yes, It's a Kirin Processor. Phone was stuck on boot screen so I was trying every option in TWRP and accidently I wiped system too. Now I get message like "No OS Installed".

jameelmemon

Nov 27, 2013
Dubai
Yes, It's a Kirin Processor. Phone was stuck on boot screen so I was trying every option in TWRP and accidently I wiped system too. Now I get message like "No OS Installed".

You should follow instructions to install stock firmware as instructed above...
if your phone stucks in boot animation kindly give it time upto 10-15 min if still you don't see anything wife cache and dalvick cache or just factory reset it

cronociclope

Sep 30, 2012
Trujillo
Thanks for that could you please confirm if phone you bought is P9 lite or p8 lite as i know TWRP recovery is for p8 lite and can work on y6 ii kirin based as both have same hardware

Hi, the phone I bought is a P9 Lite. While it carries a Kirin processor, it is more current than the P8 Lite or the Huawei Y6II (specifically, it is a Kirin 650 and the GPU is Mali T830). Greetings.

Reactions: mdssuddin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are three steps involved to root huawei y6 ii or any huawei device
    If you have bootloader unlocked please proceed to step number 2

1. Unlocking bootloader (this will erase all your data and reset to factory settings)
    Note:-
    Unlocking device bootloader will void your phone warranty, and you won’t claim it back.
    Follow the steps correctly otherwise you may brick your device. We are not responsible for any damage to your phone.
    It will erase all your Internal Storage Data, so we advise you first to take a complete backup of your phone and then proceed.
    Ensure that your phone has at least 50-60% charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in-between the process.

First, enable ‘USB debugging’ and ‘OEM Unlock’ option from setting > developer option > To enable Developer Options, go to About phone and tap the Build Number 7 times.
    oem_unlock.jpg

Install the ADB and fastboot driver for windows or ADB and Fastboot for Mac and then restart if you already have the driver installed then skip this step.

Visit Unlocking booloader page
    Login with huawei Id or create new one
    accept agreement and press next

Fill the given form it will ask you a product identification code, (to know that dial * # * # 1357946 # * # *) fill the MEI code and submit.
    serial number of phone is available at Settings > About Phone > Status
    IMEI is available at Settings > About Phone first IMEI should work fine if not use secon IMEI

View attachment 3938461

Now you have unlock code. Save it for later use.

Now go to ADB and Fastboot installation directory open ADB folder and open the command window there by pressing and hold the ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in that folder.
    cmd-6.jpg

Now connect your phone to PC and reboot the device into fastboot mode by typing “adb reboot bootloader”.
    Type “fastboot devices” in command prompt and hit enter, it gives you serial numbers in return means your phone connect properly.

To unlock bootloader of Huawei Honor 5X, type “fastboot oem unlock unlock-key”. Here replace unlock-key with the key you got from huawei portal. For example “fastboot oem unlock 21084949302847″.

Above step will Unlock Bootloader of Huawei Devices. To restart the system type “fastboot reboot”.This is the complete guide of how to unlock

This is the complete guide to unlock bootloader of any Huawei Devices.

2. Installing custom recovery TWRP
    Huawei Y6ii is technically Huawei P8 lite so you may use below TWRP 3.0.2 Recovery for P8 Lite Marshmallow recovery that works absolutely fine as it is based on Kirin processor do not flash it if you Y6 ii is not based on Kirin

Requirements to install custom recovery
    unlocked bootloader (follow the guide above)
    enable OEM unlock to be enabled (goto settings > developer option > enable OEM unlock)

All credits goes to @XePeleato Iam not developer of this recovery
    Download recovery

For those who's want or need look into the sources
    Git Source

copy TWRP3.0.2.img to adb folder and rename it to recovery.img to flash easily

now issue below commands in fastboot mode
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    after successful installation of recovery then reboot to recovery

3. Installing SU
    download superSU by chainfire
    install donwloaded zip via TWRP

* this root is systemless root so it will not be wiped if you will install updates via OTA
    does this work for Y6 II CAM-L23?

thanks for the tutorial, and this also work for CAM-L23? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    thanks for the tutorial, and this also work for CAM-L23? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    It should work with any of CAM-L03, CAM-L23, CAM-L21
    Phone Bricked

My phone got bricked. Do you have recovery image for CAM-L21?
    here is link again https://emui.huawei.com/en/plugin/unlock/index you can also go to download section on EMUI 5.0 you can find "unlock bootloader" link under search bar click that