Shaw FreeRange for MI Box V4.2.1.001

Search This thread

buggine

May 25, 2017
Shaw Free Range v 4.2.1.001 on MI Box
I used these instruction posted from another user in a different forum, thought i would share.

Tools used:
APK Icon Editor
apktool
APK 4.2.1.001 APK from apkpure.com ( shaw Freerange )

1.) Download APK
2.) Decompile the APK
apktool d {download location} -o {output location}
3.) Goto {output location} open AndroidManifest.xml

4.) Add the below lines after line 61 (other apk may not be line 61)
Code:
Code:
<activity android:label="" android:launchMode="singleTop" android:name="com.xfinity.cloudtvr.view.AndroidTvBrowseActivity" android:theme="@style/DefaultAppTheme.Xtv.Browse" android:windowSoftInputMode="adjustPan"/>
        <activity android:configChanges="orientation|screenSize" android:label="" android:launchMode="singleTop" android:name="com.xfinity.cloudtvr.view.PlayerActivity" android:parentActivityName="com.xfinity.cloudtvr.view.AndroidTvBrowseActivity" android:theme="@style/DefaultAppTheme.Xtv.Browse.Player" android:windowSoftInputMode="adjustPan">
            <meta-data android:name="android.support.PARENT_ACTIVITY" android:value=".view.AndroidTvBrowseActivity"/>
        </activity>

5.) Recompile the APK
apktool b {output location}
6.) open APK in APK Icon Editor
7.) In APK Icon Editor File -> Explore APK Contents
8.) copy {output location}/build/apk/AndroidManifest.xml to the Explore APK Contents - [replace file]
9.) In APK Icon Editor File -> Export (Pack) APK
10.) Sideload to you Mi Box

Last edited:
Reactions: t0i

buggine

May 25, 2017
Extra stuff abbout the shaw mod

Shaw Freerange.

The menu items on the top of the screen are still chopped but it manageable. Just to clarify this is working for the MI Box. The App will not launch if you are using the Sideload Launcher. You must launch from the Apps in Settings. .

buggine

May 25, 2017
Shaw/Xfinity Android TV TOP MENU FIX!

Tools Used: APK Icon Editor

Process:
1. Open APK with APK-Icon-Editor
2. Change Current mode to APKTOOL (If you are in ZIP mode, you will not see all files.)
3. Explorer APK Contents
4. Open file (\res\layout-television-v13\actionbar_custom.xml)
5. Change the following to 78.0dip form 64dip ( android:layout_height="78.0dip) and save.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LinearLayout android:gravity="bottom|center" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
  xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" xmlns:app="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res-auto">
    <com.xfinity.common.view.metadata.ActionViewContainer android:id="@id/ab_animated_button_bar" android:background="@drawable/animated_button_bar_bg" android:layout_width="fill_parent" [B][SIZE="5"]android:layout_height="78.0dip[/SIZE][/B]" android:layout_marginLeft="24.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="8.0dip" android:layout_marginRight="24.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="8.0dip" app:textSize="@dimen/nav_bar_button_text_size" />
</LinearLayout>
5. Open file ( \res\values-television-v13\dimens.xml)
6. change the follwoing to 25dip from 32dip (<dimen name="nav_bar_button_text_size">25.0dip</dimen>) and save
Code:
<resources>
    <dimen name="list_item_side_padding">48.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="action_view_spacing_inner">64.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="overscan_horizontal_adjustment">48.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="overscan_vertical_adjustment">27.0dip</dimen>
    [B][SIZE="5"]<dimen name="nav_bar_button_text_size">25.0dip</dimen>[/SIZE][/B]
    <dimen name="nav_item_text_selected_spacing">16.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="nav_item_text_spacing">8.0dip</dimen>
</resources>
7. Export (Pack) APK
8. Install apk and Enjoy :D

Last edited:
Reactions: dowayne83

buggine

May 25, 2017
Can you please let us know if you are successful with the apk on Shield TV? Thanks very much.

With the fixed mentioned above, along with the first fix at the top of the form, the one to make it work on Android TV, i do believe this does work on Shield TV as well. Sorry i don't have a shield TV box to test with. There is another form that may be of help from Xfinity TV Mod Android Box (HDMI output) by aiemassfiria. He will be taking my menu fix and integrating it into some of the APK's he's been working on.

https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/xfinity-tv-mod-android-box-hdmi-output-t3535881

atheoncrutch

Dec 26, 2014
I used the steps above to modify the apk but unfortunately it crashes immediately upon launch on my shield. If anyone wants to post their modified apk I can try that as well, in case I messed up with mine.

t0i

Jun 19, 2017
Shaw FreeRange TV no longer works on my android tv (Sony Bravia from 2016 -- model KDL-55W800C).
The last version that worked (always had to sideload it) was 2.1.0.004 but I believe they updated something on the server-side so it no longer works
Here's a direct download to it in case you want to look at what changed in the android protections since then: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7UKT-gQprNPSkwzRmRyWl9hNVU

I can confirm the apk here doesn't work: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72048755&postcount=65

Last edited:

buggine

May 25, 2017
Shaw Free Range v 4.2.2.001

Shaw FreeRange TV no longer works on my android tv (Sony Bravia from 2016 -- model KDL-55W800C).
The last version that worked (always had to sideload it) was 2.1.0.004 but I believe they updated something on the server-side so it no longer works
Here's a direct download to it in case you want to look at what changed in the android protections since then: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7UKT-gQprNPSkwzRmRyWl9hNVU

I can confirm the apk here doesn't work: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72048755&postcount=65

Try this one From

http://199.175.53.21/shawfreerangetv.leanback422001.apk

Reactions: tsuttie99

buggine

May 25, 2017
Shaw TV

This one works! thanks.

Who is responsible for this apk? Can I learn how this is done?

Thanks,

Who is responsible for the APK? Well, we all are! The link I provided was from this thread https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/xfinity-tv-mod-android-box-hdmi-output-t3535881/page13. I don't personally post links to my server. If you would like to know how its done, I suggest you follow the steps listed in this thread to modify the APK. the first one will get it to work on android TV boxes for Shield and Mi box, the second fixes the menu. There is also a fix for the HDMI as well, but not needed for the MI box or the Shield TV. you will find it in the link in this post and thanks to aiemassfiria . One thing I've observed though, the App will not work if your time isn't correct on your device, it will give a connection error when registering. So make sure the time is correct.

atheoncrutch

Dec 26, 2014
Who is responsible for the APK? Well, we all are! The link I provided was from this thread https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/xfinity-tv-mod-android-box-hdmi-output-t3535881/page13. I don't personally post links to my server. If you would like to know how its done, I suggest you follow the steps listed in this thread to modify the APK. the first one will get it to work on android TV boxes for Shield and Mi box, the second fixes the menu. There is also a fix for the HDMI as well, but not needed for the MI box or the Shield TV. you will find it in the link in this post and thanks to aiemassfiria . One thing I've observed though, the App will not work if your time isn't correct on your device, it will give a connection error when registering. So make sure the time is correct.

Thanks very much for posting the apk, it works great! I can confirm it's working for me on the Nvidia Shield and Nexus Player.

fearandtrembling

Apr 19, 2017

This is awesome! Thanks for posting. I'm a Shaw Direct subscriber (satellite TV only) and usually after the Get Started prompt the login credentials includes a banner allowing you to select Shaw Direct to enter an account number in a ###-###-#### format, but this seems to be missing in this version. Any idea if it can be accessed? The login page seems to be for Shaw cable subscribers only as my account number isn't recognized. Thanks again!

buggine

May 25, 2017
This is awesome! Thanks for posting. I'm a Shaw Direct subscriber (satellite TV only) and usually after the Get Started prompt the login credentials includes a banner allowing you to select Shaw Direct to enter an account number in a ###-###-#### format, but this seems to be missing in this version. Any idea if it can be accessed? The login page seems to be for Shaw cable subscribers only as my account number isn't recognized. Thanks again!

Do the following,

Shaw Cable:
Sign in with your Shaw ID, My Account Username, or @Shaw.ca email.

Shaw Direct:
Your username is your account number - do not include dashes.

Racer_X_

Nov 18, 2017
Having problems......

First, I couldn't edit anything. I had to use an external xml editor to change my files.

Then when I tried to load the new apk to the Amazon FireTV (using adblink), in wouldn't install, adblink just loops on 'adb running'.

The original, pre-modified-by-me apk installed and worked fine before, using adblink.

:(

22justin

Jul 29, 2008
just want to say thanks to the creator of this modded apk. finally got freerange working on my firetv box.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The TV Bro tip is what I needed. The other browser I had didn't work. Thanks!!
    Just out here doin the lords work, NBD. I'll update the shaw app too. my old mod needs updating
    Latest Shaw BlueCurve TV v6.6.0.004 with HDMI fix and Leanback (AndroidTV) support added:
    It's funny how the OG modder literally gave exact instructions on how to mod the apk and everyone is still here months later asking if anyone has made an updated file yet... lol.

So, I've gone ahead and modded the latest BlueCurve apk for my Canadian friends. I've tested this working on both a MiBox and the new Chromecast running TV OS.

If you're using the new Chromecast I recommend running SendFilesToTV to send the new APK to your Chromecast. This can be downloaded from the play store on both the TV and your phone. I'd also recommend using a power delivery USB type C hub with a USB 3.0 stick formatted for system storage as you will run out.

You will need a file explorer to install the apk files. Use whatever one you'd like (Except ES, it sucks).

If you don't have a browser installed, you'll need one for authenticating your Bluecurve TV APK. The MiBox should work with the inbuilt browser, however for the Chromecast you'll need to install a browser for the app to work. I initially tried Firefox for TV and it did not work. I then Tried TV Bro and it worked like a charm.

Instructions:

1. Install the modded Bluecurve APK from HERE do not open.
    2. Install the Leanback shortcut APK from HERE do not open.
    3. (If using Chromecast or Android TV OS device) Install TV Bro HERE (Official Github Repo)
    4. Open TV Bro, press OK and exit the app.
    5. Find the Bluecurve TV app now displayed in your app drawer, open it and go to "Sign In".
    6. TV Bro will open and give you the authentication webpage. I recommend using the Android TV Remote app to use your phones keyboard to easily enter your Shaw credentials, however TV Bro is built with an air-mouse so you can use the system keyboard if you'd like.
    7. Once you enter your credentials, login. TV Bro will go to a new page and exit and you will be greeted with a Shaw logo and a loading circle. After that you may use the Bluecurve TV app.
    Notes:

Some channels require home network, I haven't explored this APK enough to start fussing with other restrictions.

VOD, Movies, TV Shows, Networks all seem to work just fine.

The app can be navigated easily with a remote. I see no need for a USB keyboard/mouse remote that some have suggested.

See screenshots attached of the latest build (6.4.1.001 as of this post) working just fine on my new Chromecast as well as the app shortcut.

**UPDATE - XDA member confirmed working on FireTV Stick

Enjoy!
    Shaw/Xfinity Android TV TOP MENU FIX!

Tools Used: APK Icon Editor

Process:
    1. Open APK with APK-Icon-Editor
    2. Change Current mode to APKTOOL (If you are in ZIP mode, you will not see all files.)
    3. Explorer APK Contents
    4. Open file (\res\layout-television-v13\actionbar_custom.xml)
    5. Change the following to 78.0dip form 64dip ( android:layout_height="78.0dip) and save.
    Code:
    <LinearLayout android:gravity="bottom|center" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
      xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" xmlns:app="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res-auto">
        <com.xfinity.common.view.metadata.ActionViewContainer android:id="@id/ab_animated_button_bar" android:background="@drawable/animated_button_bar_bg" android:layout_width="fill_parent" [B][SIZE="5"]android:layout_height="78.0dip[/SIZE][/B]" android:layout_marginLeft="24.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="8.0dip" android:layout_marginRight="24.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="8.0dip" app:textSize="@dimen/nav_bar_button_text_size" />
    </LinearLayout>
    5. Open file ( \res\values-television-v13\dimens.xml)
    6. change the follwoing to 25dip from 32dip (<dimen name="nav_bar_button_text_size">25.0dip</dimen>) and save
    Code:
    <resources>
        <dimen name="list_item_side_padding">48.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="action_view_spacing_inner">64.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="overscan_horizontal_adjustment">48.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="overscan_vertical_adjustment">27.0dip</dimen>
        [B][SIZE="5"]<dimen name="nav_bar_button_text_size">25.0dip</dimen>[/SIZE][/B]
        <dimen name="nav_item_text_selected_spacing">16.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="nav_item_text_spacing">8.0dip</dimen>
    </resources>
    7. Export (Pack) APK
    8. Install apk and Enjoy :D