FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Szsion dual core A9 android 4.2 1024x600 car radios

117 posts
Thanks Meter: 27

By maitrot, Senior Member on 6th July 2014, 11:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Szsion (i am not allowed to post links, google it, the first match is the one) produces quite nice android only (no ce) car navis that fit the design of different cars (audi, VW, mercedes, BMW, Kia, opel and many more).
I bought the Audi A3 version which looks quite like my now obsolete audi rns-e navigation plus.
I assume that the radios are technically all the same with different CAM bus boxes on the back and different designs. Sporting MStar SoCs (subsidary of Mediatek) they have a CPU powerful enough for car radio tasks and have a quite nice display.

I am also happy with the radio reception, which is as good as my original audi device. also i bought a realtek based dVB-T stick which enables me to use SDR along with digital radio, tv and FM in even better quality.
Navigation is VERY accurate, I even play ingress on it

The only issues I have at the moment is CAN bus support, which is because I got a pre-sale sample with some firmware problems regarding can bus support and I can't turn display brightness to full at the momenr, but that could be fixed with a new software.

So , do you guys know something about those devices ? Anybody else owns one? I just saw that DX.COM is also selling them, so chances are that I am not the only one with this nice device..

Greetings

7th July 2014, 07:54 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maitrot

Szsion (i am not allowed to post links, google it, the first match is the one) produces quite nice android only (no ce) car navis that fit the design of different cars (audi, VW, mercedes, BMW, Kia, opel and many more).
I bought the Audi A3 version which looks quite like my now obsolete audi rns-e navigation plus.
I assume that the radios are technically all the same with different CAM bus boxes on the back and different designs. Sporting MStar SoCs (subsidary of Mediatek) they have a CPU powerful enough for car radio tasks and have a quite nice display.

I am also happy with the radio reception, which is as good as my original audi device. also i bought a realtek based dVB-T stick which enables me to use SDR along with digital radio, tv and FM in even better quality.
Navigation is VERY accurate, I even play ingress on it

The only issues I have at the moment is CAN bus support, which is because I got a pre-sale sample with some firmware problems regarding can bus support and I can't turn display brightness to full at the momenr, but that could be fixed with a new software.

So , do you guys know something about those devices ? Anybody else owns one? I just saw that DX.COM is also selling them, so chances are that I am not the only one with this nice device..

Greetings

As a trading company selling car multimedia since 2007, we purchased some samples on may 15 ( all with either 8 Gb or 16 Gb storage memory). We are still expecting to see the first units....nothing has been shipped till now....
Also : SION shares it's office address with ZHINAVI, selling same units with another interface....please check what you'll find in XDA forums about this company...I don't want to comment publicly, only in private messages if you want.... For me they are sisters companies, even if SION denies it....I am rather anxious about this....
8th July 2014, 03:56 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by getehem

As a trading company selling car multimedia since 2007, we purchased some samples on may 15 ( all with either 8 Gb or 16 Gb storage memory). We are still expecting to see the first units....nothing has been shipped till now....
Also : SION shares it's office address with ZHINAVI, selling same units with another interface....please check what you'll find in XDA forums about this company...I don't want to comment publicly, only in private messages if you want.... For me they are sisters companies, even if SION denies it....I am rather anxious about this....

Don't worry about not getting the devices. They exist
It seems that they are having some trouble with CAN conectivity which they claim is a software issue. I insisted on getting my device anyway and putting on software updates later on. Linkey is very nice if you ask her ...
They could also send me just 4gig model since 8 and 16 are not available yet.

They could, however communicate the problems a little more and not letting us wait 2 months without delivery, a mail saying that it will take some time would be nice...

The launcher they use is very nice, like on the pictures. The cpu is powerful enough for car tasks, gps is awesome. I have the best snr i ever had on any of my android devices.
Dvd playback works, radio is good. As I already said.

Anbody knows a rooting technique that MAY work with the mstar cpu?
25th July 2014, 02:12 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
I have been following these units as well. I have asked for a video of the interface so that I could see performance. Instead of doing a walk-thru like most companies, I got this, that I uploaded to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHl2ZaDq3iw

I have also asked about unlocking the bootloader. It seems that the manufacture is interested in modifying his code to Android 5.x I told him if he opened up 100% of the source code to XDA, not only would he have a stable build of 5.x, but he would also have the best selling unit on XDA. I havent heard any more back.
The Following User Says Thank You to webdude12 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift webdude12 Ad-Free
25th July 2014, 02:35 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I bought and received one of these for my 2006 Audi A4. It's working alright, sill trying to integrate steering wheel controls and the rear speakers aren't working, these two items aren't huge for me so I'm happy with the purchase so far. Also, I ordered and received the item within a week, crazy fast

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app
25th July 2014, 02:50 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley815

I bought and received one of these for my 2006 Audi A4. It's working alright, sill trying to integrate steering wheel controls and the rear speakers aren't working, these two items aren't huge for me so I'm happy with the purchase so far. Also, I ordered and received the item within a week, crazy fast

Hi Riley!

Do any of your CANBUS features work or is it just the SWC that dors not work?
Also, how happy are you with the display brightness? Mine's way too dim for daylight use. At night, the display is very nice and sharp with beautiful living color, but with sunlight it really sucks so bad you almost can't see anything.

What's your software version?
25th July 2014, 06:01 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
I forgot to mention how AWESOME it would be to have source code access for this device.

KICK-ASS!

Anybody got an idea how I could try to enhance the display brightness?
26th July 2014, 11:22 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley815

I have similar unit for Audi A4 2002 model, rear speakers were not working but got around that by connecting the rear aux outputs left and right to the cables for aux inputs left and right!

I also have trouble with the Canbus support and the LED lights on the unit do not go off when the unit is powered down. Thats not good news for my battery. However the unit is very quick and GPS works smoothly....

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitrot

Don't worry about not getting the devices. They exist
It seems that they are having some trouble with CAN conectivity which they claim is a software issue. I insisted on getting my device anyway and putting on software updates later on. Linkey is very nice if you ask her ...
They could also send me just 4gig model since 8 and 16 are not available yet.

They could, however communicate the problems a little more and not letting us wait 2 months without delivery, a mail saying that it will take some time would be nice...

The launcher they use is very nice, like on the pictures. The cpu is powerful enough for car tasks, gps is awesome. I have the best snr i ever had on any of my android devices.
Dvd playback works, radio is good. As I already said.

Anbody knows a rooting technique that MAY work with the mstar cpu?

Baidu Root works just fine.
26th July 2014, 07:29 PM |#9  

More
The display is not great in the sunlight. I also think the colors are a bit washed out. The radio tries to turn on the back up camera when I go in reverse and the led lights turn off when I turn off the headlights, so I assume the canbus is working. I think the swc is a wire harness issue, I'm going to check it out when I feel brave enough.

28th July 2014, 05:52 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Those with Audis, how does the plastic of the radio match the dash?? The HuiFei unit was a glossy and didn't really match the matte factory finish
28th July 2014, 06:21 AM |#11  

More
It looks great against the dash, like it belongs.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)