FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Tecknight's Aristo 2 Tutorials

834 posts
Thanks Meter: 682

By tecknight, Recognized Contributor on 17th June 2018, 04:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
TAT TecKnight's Aristo 2 Tutorials series
Click the description below to pull up the detailed postMore tutorials coming soon !!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free

17th June 2018, 04:36 AM |#2  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Las Vegas

More
Root your LG Aristo 2/2+/K8+, remove encryption/verity & install TWRP and Magisk
Root your LG Aristo 2/2+/K8+, remove encryption/verity & install TWRP and Magisk
Requirements:
  • An LG Aristo 2 / 2 + / K8 +
  • A PC running Windows with an internet connection.
  • A USB cable.
Note: This procedure is deprecated for several reasons, the most important one being that fastboot will not flash a partition on a cv1 device running the latest (Oreo) firmware.
I recommend this procedure instead:
Install a pre-rooted ROM to your LG Aristo 2 / 2 + / Best root method
However, if your phone is currently running Android 7 (Nougat) based firmware, this procedure will still work.

1. On your phone, go to Settings->General->About Phone->Software Info. Click on Build Number 7 times. You have now enabled Developer Options

2. On your phone, go to Settings->Developer Options and Turn ON both OEM Unlock and USB debugging. Turn OFF Automatic System Updates. Click on Select USB Configuration and select MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)

3. Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable.

4. On your PC, open a command prompt or power shell session in the folder where your adb and fastboot executables reside.

5. In your command prompt or power shell session, type"
adb devices
You should see:
List of devices attached
<SerialNumofPhone> device
6. Now type:
adb reboot bootloader
7. You should see some text in very small letters on your phone. You are now in bootloader or fastboot mode.

8. Currently, Magisk stable and beta versions are the same (17.1).
If you have a MetroPCS Aristo 2, firmware 10K or earlier, download this file:
10K_M171_EVD.img --> Aristo 2 Magisk 17.1 rooted boot image encrypt/verity/rct disabled
or if you have a MetroPCS Aristo 2, firmware 10L or later, download this file:
10L_M173_EVD.img --> Aristo 2 Magisk 17.3 rooted boot image encrypt/verity/rct disabled
[INDENT]Special note for Aristo 2 owners running 10L or later: I have personally and I have had reports from others who have experienced boot loops after flashing the 10L or later patched boot image. Others have reported success using this image. If you do experience boot loops after flashing the 10L or later boot image, I recommend the following:
Install a custom pre-rooted ROM to your LG Aristo 2 or Aristo 2 plus using TWRP
or if you have a T-Mobile Aristo 2 plus, download this:
RB_M171_EVD_A2P.img --> Aristo 2 + Magisk 17.1 rooted boot image encrypt/verity/rct disabled
or if you have a US Cellular K8 plus, download this:
RB_M171_EVD_K8P.img --> K8 + Magisk 17.1 rooted boot image encrypt/verity/rct disabled
Download this file as well:
recovery.img --> Latest TWRP 3.2.1.0 for Aristo 2 by armandop_ (works on 2+ and K8+ as well)
9. Place both files into the folder where your adb and fastboot executables reside. Make sure they are named exactly as listed above.

10. Type the following in the command prompt or power shell session:
fastboot devices
You should see:
<SerialNumofPhone> fastboot
11. Type this:
fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot will say this will wipe your data. Tell it to continue.
Now we need to erase the userdata and cache partitions to prevent fastboot from encrypting them. Type:
fastboot erase userdata
You should see:
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this ext4 partition?
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 0.031s]
finished. total time: 0.031s
Now type:
fastboot erase cache
You should see:
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this ext4 partition?
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.031s]
finished. total time: 0.031s
12. Now that you are unlocked, flash the rooted boot image. Depending on the file you downloaded above, type:
fastboot flash boot 10K_M171_EVD.img
or
fastboot flash boot 10L_M173_EVD.img
or
fastboot flash boot RB_M171_EVD_A2P.img
or
fastboot flash boot RB_M171_EVD_K8P.img

You should see:
target reported max download size of 262144000 bytes
sending 'boot' (15210 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.585s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.200s]
finished. total time: 0.790s
13. Now flash TWRP. Type:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
You should see:
target reported max download size of 262144000 bytes
sending 'recovery' (17010 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.585s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.200s]
finished. total time: 0.790s
14. Now reboot back to Android. Type:
fastboot reboot
Note: Your bootup screen will now look like this:

This message does not indicate a problem. This is the normal bootup screen of the Aristo 2, once the bootloader is unlocked. DO NOT lock the bootloader or your phone will then refuse to boot.
Note: Since we had to wipe userdata, Android will boot up with the setup wizard, just like the first time the phone was booted.

15. Once you get past the setup wizard, repeat steps 1 and 2, as most of our settings have been reset back to defaults. After completing steps 1 and 2, return to step 16.

16. Download the following file and copy it to your phone's Download folder:
Magisk-v17.1.zip --> Magisk 17.1 installation .zip
17. On your PC, go to your command prompt or power shell and type:
adb reboot recovery
Your phone will now boot into TWRP for the first time.

18. On your phone, Swipe to allow modifications.

19. Now select INSTALL, then browse into the Download folder and select your Magisk install .zip.
Swipe to confirm flash. TWRP will install Magisk on your system.

20. Now, select Reboot System.
Your phone will boot back into Android. Your phone should now be rooted, unencrypted and have Magisk and TWRP installed.

21. Confirm that Magisk is installed and working. Look for the Magisk Manager icon on your android desktop. The icon looks like this:
Magisk Mgr icon
If you can't find the icon, download and install the app from here:
Magisk Manager 5.9.1 download
22. Click on the Magisk Manager icon to launch it. You should see a screen resembling the following:

You should have the 2 green check marks at the top, with the version showing as 17.1.
Under Advanced Settings, both Preserve options should be unchecked.
If you don't have the green check marks, click Install, then install again, then Direct Install (Recommended).
If you want to keep the latest Magisk beta on your phone, click on the 3 horizontal lines and select Settings, click on Update Channel and select Beta.

23. Once Magisk is installed, I recommend you check out the multitude of cool, mostly rooted apps available from the Magisk repo. Click on the 3 horizontal lines and select Downloads, then browse thru the large list of apps that are available.

Please hit the Thanks button at the bottom of this post if you appreciate my work.

_________
Change Log:
02/03/2019 Added note that this procedure is deprecated.
11/22/2018 Added link to flashing rooted image with TWRP as alternative.
11/19/2018 Added specific note and instructions when running Aristo 2 version 10L or later. Thanks to @Dillmiester for showing me that I was not the only one having issues with 10L.
10/20/2018 Changed all of the custom file downloads from Google Drive to androidfilehost.com.
9/18/2018 Added K8 plus patched boot image. Thanks to @RandoSwift for providing the stock K8 plus boot image.
9/3/2018 Updated Magisk installer and Magisk manager links to reflect current versions (17.1 and 5.9.1). I also updated the patched boot images to 17.1 and linked to those images.
8/4/2018 Added a picture of the bootloader unlocked warning that displays when the phone is booted.
8/2/2018 Added newest version of TWRP for Aristo 2 by @Armandop_. It now pulls the correct date/time.
8/2/2018 Added Aristo 2 plus patched boot image. Thanks to @SteelH for providing the stock Aristo 2 plus boot image.
7/23/2018 Changed Magisk beta boot image and installation .zip to ver 16.7.
7/15/2018 Removed LG root checking tool from both boot images and changed Magisk beta boot image to ver 16.6.
7/3/2018 Made changes to allow user to choose to install either Magisk 16 released or Magisk 16.4 beta. Thanks to @GotHeart for information regarding Magisk 16.4 beta.
6/27/2018 Made several changes when I determined that fastboot was creating encrypted userdata and cache partitions whenever flashing lock state was changed. Ultimately, I was able to simplify this procedure, as I can now guarantee that step 14 will create a non-encrypted userdata and cache filesystem. This allowed me to eliminate several subsequent steps. Thanks to @tge101 for identifying this issue.
5/21/2018 Created initial procedure.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free
17th June 2018, 04:43 AM |#3  
Flag Las Vegas

More
Useful links for LG Aristo 2/2+
Useful links for LG Aristo 2/2+
Windows Software
LG USB drivers. The latest official USB drivers for LG phones.
http://tool.cdn.gdms.lge.com/dn/down...=UW00120120425

LGUP - LGUP was LG's internal utility used to flash images to phones. But it was leaked to the public and is now the most used user utility for flashing phones. I have made some mods to enable developer options and increase it's compatibility.
Download it here:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...32744536985527
Full installation instructions are here:
Install LGUP Dual Mode(Dev/User) on your Windows PC

Uppercut-An XDA devs enhancement tool for LGUP. Use if LGUP does not recognise your phone.
http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime...UT_1.0.0.0.zip

LG Bridge for Windows. A useful tool capable of identifying your phone, downloading the latest firmware for it and then flashing the firmware image to your phone.
http://tool.cdn.gdms.lge.com/dn/down...y=PWZO7A26B9UW

Other Links
Official firmware images in the form of .KDZ files.
Aristo 2 firmware:
https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-lmx210ma...res/firmwares/
Aristo 2 plus firmware:
https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-lmx212ta...#tab=firmwares
K8 plus firmware:
https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-lmx210ul...res/firmwares/

Please hit the Thanks button at the bottom of this post if you appreciate my work.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free
17th June 2018, 06:06 AM |#4  
Flag Las Vegas

More
Restore your LG phone to the latest factory firmware using LG Bridge
Restore your LG phone to the latest factory firmware using LG Bridge
This Tutorial describes how you can restore your LG phone to the latest official firmware using LG Bridge windows software.
Note that LG Bridge will always restore the latest factory firmware to your phone. If you need to restore a specific KDZ image to your phone, you should use:
Install a specific .KDZ image to your LG phone using LGUP
instead.
This procedure will work even if your phone is not able to boot properly.
As long as the bootloader is loading (ie: something is displaying on the screen when you power it up), LG Bridge should be able to restore your phone.
Requirements:
  • An LG phone
  • A PC running Windows with an internet connection.
  • A USB cable.
Note: I have had reports that as of 8/5/2018, this procedure is not working on the LG Aristo 2 plus, as Update error recovery gets the error:
Your phone information cannot be checked.
Please contact LG customer service

Still, if you have an Aristo 2 plus and have a need to restore your phone to stock, I would give this procedure a try, as I expect it will start working at some point.

1. Download LG Bridge to your Windows PC from here:
http://tool.cdn.gdms.lge.com/dn/down...y=PWZO7A26B9UW
2. Install LG Bridge on your PC.

3. Launch LG Bridge on your PC.

4. Power OFF your Phone.

5. Connect one end of the USB cable to your PC.

6. Press and hold Volume + on the phone. Connect the other end of USB cable to your phone while still pressing Volume +.

5. Download Mode should appear on the phone, and then change to Firmware Update

6. LG Bridge should now detect your phone. Click on the Software Update tab. then select Update error recovery.

7. LG Bridge will download the latest available firmware for your model and then restore your phone using LGUP utility integrated into the LG Bridge software.

_________
Change Log:
8/4/2018 Changed the wording to make this procedure apply to all LG phones.
8/2/2018 Added detail as to the tab and option to select in LG Bridge.
5/28/2018 Created initial procedure.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free
17th June 2018, 09:47 AM |#5  
Flag columbus
Thanks Meter: 3

More
which partition do i flash it wants me to be specific n an not just say flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknight

Root your LG Aristo 2 from stock, remove forced encryption, and install TWRP and Magisk
1. Go to Settings->General->About Phone->Software Info. Click on Build Number 10 times. You have now enabled Developer Options
2. Go to Settings->Developer Options and Turn ON OEM Unlock
3. Shut down your phone.
4. Plug one end of a USB cable into your PC, but do not plug the other end into your phone yet.
5. Press and hold Vol - on the phone.
6. Connect the unconnected end of the USB cable to your phone while still holding Vol -.
7. Once you see some text in very small letters on your phone, release Vol -. You are now in fastboot mode.
8. On your PC, open a command prompt or power shell in the folder where your adb and fastboot executables reside. You should place the newtwrp.img and root_boot.img into this folder. If you need to download the files:
root_boot.img --> https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=673956719939818308
newtwrp.img --> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gz5...w?usp=drivesdk

9. Type the following in command prompt or power shell:
fastboot devices
You should see:
xxxxxxxxxx fastboot
10. Type this:
fastboot oem unlock
11. now that you are unlocked, flash the modified boot image:
fastboot flash boot root_boot.img
12. Now flash TWRP:
fastboot flash recovery newtwrp.img
13. Now reboot back to Android:
fastboot reboot
14. Once Android boots up, go to Settings->Developer options and make sure adb is enabled.
15. Now go back to the power shell session and type:
adb devices
You should see:
List of devices attached
xxxxxxxxxxxxx device

16. Before booting into TWRP, make sure to download these two files and copy them to your phone's Download folder:
Magisk-v16.0.zip --> https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/...gisk-v16.0.zip
no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip --> https://build.nethunter.com/android-...ncrypt-6.0.zip

17. Once those files are in place, go to your command prompt or power shell and type:
adb reboot recovery
Your phone will boot into TWRP for the first time.
18. Swipe to allow modifications.
19. If TWRP asks for a password, press the back key to get to the main TWRP screen.
20. Select WIPE then Format Data. Swipe to confirm.
21. Go back to main TWRP screen and select Reboot then Recovery
This should force an unencrypted data partition. TWRP will boot back up again.
22. Now select INSTALL, then browse into the Download folder and select the
no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip, then select Add more zips and select the Magisk-v16.0.zip.
23. Swipe to confirm flash. TWRP will change the boot image to allow data to be unencrypted and also will install Magisk on your system.
24. From the main TWRP screen, select Reboot then System.
Your phone will boot back into Android. Your phone is now rooted and has TWRP and Magisk installed.

alls i need to kno now(i hope) is which partition do i tell it to flash an where can i find the stock metro pcs .kdz
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [email protected] Ad-Free
17th June 2018, 12:00 PM |#6  
Flag Las Vegas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

alls i need to kno now(i hope) is which partition do i tell it to flash an where can i find the stock metro pcs .kdz

If you follow the procedure listed, you will see that you are flashing 2 partitions:
the boot partition and the recovery partition
from the procedure:
Quote:

11. now that you are unlocked, flash the modified boot image:

12. Now flash TWRP:

You don't need a kdz to restore back to stock. Just follow the procedure here:
Restore your Aristo 2 to the latest factory firmware using LG Bridge

If you want a kdz, however, they are all here:
https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-lmx210ma-firmwares/
The Following User Says Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free
17th June 2018, 09:52 PM |#7  
Flag columbus

More
what now
Quote:

If you follow the procedure listed, you will see that you are flashing 2 partitions:
from the procedure:

i folowed all this here's the screenshots idk man i'm either caveman status or coding Ain't for me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hellllp.PNG
Views:	334
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	4529229   Click image for larger version

Name:	correct.PNG
Views:	334
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	4529230  
17th June 2018, 09:56 PM |#8  
Flag columbus

More
sorry for repost
Quote:

from the procedure:

followed to a t bro either im dumb an coding aint for me or im misinterpreting the lingo but here's screenshots oof my sd card where the files areClick image for larger version

Views:	254
ID:	4529236 an my adb Click image for larger version

Views:	254
ID:	4529236 im at a loss for words sorry didn't know my first post went through
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	notloadingy.PNG
Views:	256
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	4529237  
18th June 2018, 01:05 AM |#9  
Flag Las Vegas

More
Quote:

i folowed all this here's the screenshots idk man i'm either caveman status or coding Ain't for me

check the next message
The Following User Says Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free
18th June 2018, 01:08 AM |#10  
Flag Las Vegas

More
Quote:

Your problem is clear.
you typed the command
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
for that command to work, you would have to have a file named recovery.img in your:
C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\ folder.
You do not have an image file named recovery.img, and your image files are not saved in the correct folder.

See this step in the instructions ?
Read it carefully, especially the sentence I have highlighted in red:

Quote:

8. On your PC, open a command prompt or power shell in the folder where your adb and fastboot executables reside. You should place the newtwrp.img and root_boot.img into this folder.
If you need to download the files:

Did you place the newtwrp.img and root_boot.img into that folder ?
18th June 2018, 04:55 PM |#11  
Flag columbus

More
done now what battery pull or factory data reset(aka boot to twrp?)
Quote:

Name:	okrootbootattained.jpg
Views:	2084
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	4529809

Quote:

Root your LG Aristo 2 from stock, remove forced encryption, and install TWRP and Magisk
1. Go to Settings->General->About Phone->Software Info. Click on Build Number 7 times. You have now enabled Developer Options
2. Go to Settings->Developer Options and Turn ON both OEM Unlock and USB debugging
3. Shut down your phone.
4. Plug one end of a USB cable into your PC, but do not plug the other end into your phone yet.
5. Press and hold Vol - on the phone.
6. Connect the unconnected end of the USB cable to your phone while still holding Vol -.
7. Once you see some text in very small letters on your phone, release Vol -. You are now in fastboot mode.
8. On your PC, download the following files:

9. Place both files into the folder where your adb and fastboot executables reside. Make sure they are named exactly as listed above.
10. Open a command prompt or power shell in the same folder we just placed the image files into.
Type the following in the command prompt or power shell session:
fastboot devices
You should see:
<SerialNumofPhone> fastboot
11. Type this:
fastboot flashing unlock
12. Now that you are unlocked, flash the rooted boot image:
13. Now flash TWRP:
14. Now reboot back to Android:
fastboot reboot
15. Once Android boots up, go to the command prompt or power shell session on your PC and type:
adb devices
You should see:
List of devices attached
<SerialNumofPhone> device
16. Before booting into TWRP, make sure to download these two files and copy them to your phone's Download folder:
Magisk-v16.0.zip --> https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/...gisk-v16.0.zip
no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip --> https://build.nethunter.com/android-...ncrypt-6.0.zip

17. Once those files are in place, go to your command prompt or power shell and type:
adb reboot recovery
Your phone will now boot into TWRP for the first time.
18. Swipe to allow modifications.
19. If TWRP asks for a password, press the back key to get to the main TWRP screen.
20. Select WIPE then Format Data. Swipe to confirm.
21. Go back to main TWRP screen and select Reboot then Recovery
This should force an unencrypted data partition. TWRP will boot back up again.
22. Now select INSTALL, then browse into the Download folder and select the
no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip, then select Add more zips and select the Magisk-v16.0.zip.
23. Swipe to confirm flash. TWRP will change the boot image to allow data to be unencrypted and also will install Magisk on your system.
24. From the main TWRP screen, select Reboot then System.
Your phone will boot back into Android. Your phone is now rooted and has TWRP and Magisk installed.

i had them in right place forgot they had number in () after it i changed it im good now what pull battery or hard reset
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lg-aristo-2, lg-k8-plus, lg-k9, lg-phoenix-4, lg-x2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)