Thanks Meter: 682

By tecknight, Recognized Contributor on 17th June 2018, 04:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd July 2018, 05:07 AM |#21  
Flag Ansonia,CT
Thanks Meter: 84

Donate to Me
More
Hey @tecknight, thank you so much for all your effort on this. I saw your post about the forced encryption, so i disabled those & RCT in the 10i boot image through editing the ramdisk. Also, i don't know if anyone here plays games that detect root such as PoGo etc. But the latest magisk beta (16.4) has fixed those issues. Also, technight, what are you using for your status bar icons etc?

3rd July 2018, 07:37 AM |#22  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Las Vegas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHeart

Hey @tecknight, thank you so much for all your effort on this. I saw your post about the forced encryption, so i disabled those & RCT in the 10i boot image through editing the ramdisk. Also, i don't know if anyone here plays games that detect root such as PoGo etc. But the latest magisk beta (16.4) has fixed those issues. Also, technight, what are you using for your status bar icons etc?

GotHeart,
I had 2 posts about encryption, the first one was about the default fstab.cv1 having forceencrypt on 2 lines. On that post I also included a boot image with a modified fstab.cv1 in the ramdisk image and also had a modified .magisk in the .backup folder containing:
KEEPVERITY=false
KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=false
Here is the image:
RB_M16_EVD.img --> Magisk 16 rooted boot image encrypt/verity disabled
My second post was after I found out that fastboot was creating encrypted partitions whenever the flashing lock state was changed.
That prompted me to change my rooting process significantly, cuz the last thing you want is the phone trying to boot up with an encrypted partition, when the fstab is unable to decrypt it.
I haven't tried the beta Magisk yet, I figured we had enough stability issues without it.
Is it relatively stable ?
Status bar icons: I have Xposed SDK 25 and Gravitybox (N) installed and played with the Date/Time and color settings, but my icons are stock. You have to download Xposed in Magisk, but install it with TWRP. and reboot twice for it to become enabled.
BTW, The Aristo 2 specs state it only supports up to 32GB microSD, but I have a 128GB Samsung in mine and it works flawlessly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free
3rd July 2018, 10:57 AM |#23  
Flag Ansonia,CT
Thanks Meter: 84

Donate to Me
More
Xposed is not an option for me because you either get xposed and a broken safetynet or passing safetynet without xposed. Yes i removed the Force Encrypt lines from the fstab. Everytime i reset my phone,as soon as i flashed TWRP somehow my data & cache were f2fs & unmountable. I was getting strange errors about unable to find crypto header as well. Anywho, i made your edits, then immediately fastboot flashed the modded 10i boot after kdz, then flashed twrp, then magisk. Also, i noticed if you don't let the phone boot fully at least 1 time, it will bootloop to twrp. Maybe i wasnt doing something correctly.
Also,ive had 0 issues with the 16.4 Beta of Magisk.
3rd July 2018, 06:36 PM |#24  
Flag Las Vegas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHeart

Xposed is not an option for me because you either get xposed and a broken safetynet or passing safetynet without xposed. Yes i removed the Force Encrypt lines from the fstab. Everytime i reset my phone,as soon as i flashed TWRP somehow my data & cache were f2fs & unmountable. I was getting strange errors about unable to find crypto header as well. Anywho, i made your edits, then immediately fastboot flashed the modded 10i boot after kdz, then flashed twrp, then magisk. Also, i noticed if you don't let the phone boot fully at least 1 time, it will bootloop to twrp. Maybe i wasnt doing something correctly.
Also,ive had 0 issues with the 16.4 Beta of Magisk.

Yes, the reason you were getting encrypted partitions was that when you do a fastboot flashing unlock or fastboot oem unlock, fastboot erases the data and cache partitions and reformats them as encrypted.
That's why my rooting procedure now has a fastboot erase userdata and fastboot erase cache after the unlock.
The fastboot reboot boots into the new boot image, which automatically formats userdata and cache as ext4, unencrypted.
That's why I was able to eliminate the format data and reboot recovery from the first boot into TWRP.
I will check out the Magisk 16.4 beta. Thanks.
Update: I modified the rooting procedure to allow the user to choose either Magisk 16 or 16.4 beta.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free
4th July 2018, 06:00 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknight

There is a T-Mobile specific Aristo 2 that just got released.
I think T-Mobile is calling it the Aristo 2 Plus, but the hardware is identical.
Model number is X212TAL
You might try flashing that image to your phone

Do you know where I can download the Firmware?
5th July 2018, 05:47 PM |#26  
Flag Las Vegas

More
Install LGUP Dual Mode(Dev/User) on your Windows PC
TAT TecKnight's Aristo 2 Tutorials series
Requirements:
  • A PC running Windows with an internet connection
Note: Full credit for unlocking LGUP developer mode and how to do it goes to @smitel. I used his thread here as a guide to modify LGUP.exe (from the 1.14.3 .msi) and the universal LGUP_c.dll (1.0.36.10) used by LG Bridge to flash all LG phones and embedded in the latest .kdz files. Since I modified the universal flashing DLL, this modded LGUP should function on most, if not all LG phones. I have successfully tested it on at least 8 different LG phone models. I would appreciate any feedback regarding functionality on any other LG phones.

1. Download LGUP_DualMode.zip from here:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...63190603845019
2. Extract LGUP_DualMode.zip to a folder on your PC.

3. Browse into the folder and launch LGUP_Store_Frame_Ver_1_14_3.msi. Follow the prompts to complete the install.

4. Right click and select "Run as Administrator" on either:
SetDev.bat To set LGUP to developer mode
or
SetUser.bat To set LGUP to end user mode
5. Launch LGUP using the desktop shortcut.
Note: You may delete the .msi file from the folder. As long as you keep the other files, you can run SetDev.bat or SetUser.bat any time LGUP is not running to set the version of LGUP on your system.
This is the Developer mode initial screen:

This is the DUMP option dialog:
Dump Option
One of about 10 pages of PHONESETTINGs

Developer Mode options and what they do:
ChipErase: Can remove factory reset protection on older LG phones.
PRL UPDATE: Writes and updates Preferred Roaming List on phone.
PRL Read: Reads and displays Preferred Roaming List from phone.
PHONESETTING: Useful and powerful but potentially dangerous. Displays several pages of mostly editable fields relating to the connected phone. There is a command button to read the data and another one to write the data back.
Note: After using this option on your phone, even if you don't make any changes, it may be necessary to cold boot your phone to restore cellular data access.
PARTITION DL: Very useful option. Requires selected .TOT or .KDZ file. Once started, will allow you to select which partition(s) from the selected .TOT or .KDZ file to flash to the connected phone. For instance, you could upgrade your system while retaining root by NOT flashing the boot partition.
Update: This option is even more useful than I thought. It bypasses model checking, allowing you to crossflash a device with an image intended for another model, literally changing the model of the target device. This is useful when the same hardware is used for several different products, depending on the market or carrier. Just select your .KDZ or .TOT, click Start, then check All partitions.
DUMP: Very useful. Once Started, shows a list of all partitions on the connected phone. Has a checkbox next to each. Check all partitions you want to back up. Then click OK and it will ask you which folder to place the files into. Select folder and LGUP will create a complete binary .img file for each selected partition. This can be used for backup or for data recovery purposes. I have already used this to recover files and pics from a phone where the owner had forgotten his PIN. Since a factory reset (to clear the PIN) would wipe his userdata, I dumped his data partition using this option, then did the factory reset. The image files can be restored directly using TWRP, fastboot or the dd command from a rooted shell.
FOTA Upgrade: Allows you to Apply Firmware Over The Air update to phone.
FAC Upgrade: Unknown, but it may refer to the Final Assembly Code, a 2 digit code that used to be part of the IMEI.
Board DL: Unknown (likely destructive)

Please hit the Thanks button at the bottom of this post if you appreciate my work.

_________
Change Log:
12/28/2018 Had to revert flashing .DLL back to 1.0.36.10. New version was getting DLL error message in LGUP.
12/26/2018 Updated common flashing DLL to version 1.0.38.3. New DLL used in both stock (user) mode and modded DLL used in developer mode. This should ensure optimal support for all LG devices.
11/12/2018 Found a significantly newer common flashing DLL, which should support more devices, ver 1.0.36.10. Newer DLL is now used in both stock (user) mode and modded DLL used in developer mode.
7/19/2018 Added Run as Administrator to insure .bat files are able to copy files. I also changed the .bat files to check if the file copy failed.
7/11/2018 Added update on Partition DL option and some additional screen shots of Dev options.
7/5/2018 Created initial procedure.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free
5th July 2018, 08:23 PM |#27  
Flag Las Vegas

More
Quote:

There is a T-Mobile specific Aristo 2 that just got released.
I think T-Mobile is calling it the Aristo 2 Plus, but the hardware is identical.
Model number is X212TAL
You might try flashing that image to your phone

Sorry, I haven't been able to find a .kdz file for that phone yet
Here is the user manual:
https://www.mylgphones.com/wp-conten...1.0_180330.pdf

Something else you might try.
Install this.
Set to Dev mode. Then run LGUP and select PHONESETTING.
Click Start and then load up your phone's settings.
There are a LOT of options in there that relate to carrier and such.
Maybe you can find a setting that will enable T-Mobile.
Once you load the settings, you can modify any settings you want to change, then click write to save your changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free
12th July 2018, 07:28 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

TAT TecKnight's Aristo 2 Tutorials series
Root your LG Aristo 2, remove encryption/verity & install TWRP and Magisk
Requirements:

• An LG Aristo 2
  • A PC running Windows with an internet connection.
  • A USB cable.
Note: Step 11 of this procedure will wipe your userdata and cache partitions. If you want to retain your apps and settings, back up your data before you perform this procedure and restore your data after completing it.

1. On your phone, go to Settings->General->About Phone->Software Info. Click on Build Number 7 times. You have now enabled Developer Options

2. On your phone, go to Settings->Developer Options and Turn ON both OEM Unlock and USB debugging. Turn OFF Automatic System Updates. Click on Select USB Configuration and select MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)

3. Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable.

4. On your PC, open a command prompt or power shell session in the folder where your adb and fastboot executables reside.

5. In your command prompt or power shell session, type"
adb devices
You should see:
List of devices attached
<SerialNumofPhone> device
6. Now type:
adb reboot bootloader
7. You should see some text in very small letters on your phone. You are now in bootloader or fastboot mode.

8. Decide if you want to install Magisk 16 released or Magisk 16.4 beta. Ver 16 is more tested and stable, while 16.4 beta is better at stealthing itself to evade detection by some Android games.
If you chose Magisk 16, download the following on your PC:
RB_M16_EVD.img --> Magisk 16 rooted boot image encrypt/verity disabled
or if you chose Magisk 16.4 beta, download this:
RB_M16.4_EVD.img --> Magisk 16.4 beta rooted boot image encrypt/verity disabled
Download this file as well:
newtwrp.img --> Latest TWRP 3.2.1.0 for Aristo 2 by armandop_
9. Place both files into the folder where your adb and fastboot executables reside. Make sure they are named exactly as listed above.

10. Type the following in the command prompt or power shell session:
fastboot devices
You should see:
<SerialNumofPhone> fastboot
11. Type this:
fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot will say this will wipe your data. Tell it to continue.
Now we need to erase the userdata and cache partitions to prevent fastboot from encrypting them. Type:
fastboot erase userdata
You should see:
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this ext4 partition?
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 0.031s]
finished. total time: 0.031s
Now type:
fastboot erase cache
You should see:
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this ext4 partition?
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.031s]
finished. total time: 0.031s
12. Now that you are unlocked, flash the rooted boot image. Depending on the file you downloaded above, type:
fastboot flash boot RB_M16_EVD.img
or
fastboot flash boot RB_M16.4_EVD.img

You should see:
target reported max download size of 262144000 bytes
sending 'boot' (15210 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.585s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.200s]
finished. total time: 0.790s
13. Now flash TWRP. Type:
fastboot flash recovery newtwrp.img
You should see:
target reported max download size of 262144000 bytes
sending 'recovery' (17010 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.585s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.200s]
finished. total time: 0.790s
14. Now reboot back to Android. Type:
fastboot reboot
Note: Your bootup screen will now have a Yellow Triangle and will tell you your software cannot be checked for corruption and to lock the bootloader. This is the normal bootup screen of the Aristo 2, once the bootloader is unlocked.
Note: Since we had to wipe userdata, Android will boot up with the setup wizard, just like the first time the phone was booted.

15. Once you get past the setup wizard, repeat steps 1 and 2, as most of our settings have been reset back to defaults. After completing steps 1 and 2, return to step 16.

16. Based on your Magisk version choice, download one of the following files and copy it to your phone's Download folder:
Magisk-v16.0.zip --> Magisk 16.0 installation .zip
Magisk-v16.4.zip --> Magisk 16.4 beta installation .zip
17. On your PC, go to your command prompt or power shell and type:
adb reboot recovery
Your phone will now boot into TWRP for the first time.

18. On your phone, Swipe to allow modifications.

19. Now select INSTALL, then browse into the Download folder and select your Magisk install .zip.
Swipe to confirm flash. TWRP will install Magisk on your system.

20. Now, select Reboot System.
Your phone will boot back into Android. Your phone should now be rooted, unencrypted and have Magisk and TWRP installed.

21. Confirm that Magisk is installed and working. Look for the Magisk Manager icon on your android desktop. The icon looks like this:
Magisk Mgr icon

If you can't find the icon, download and install the app from here:
Magisk Manager 5.7.0 download
22. Click on the Magisk Manager icon to launch it. You should see a screen resembling the following:

You should have the 2 green check marks at the top, with the version showing as 16.0 or 16.4
Under Advanced Options, both Preserve options should be unchecked.
If you don't have the green check marks, click Install, then install again, then Direct Install (Recommended).

23. Once Magisk is installed, I recommend you check out the multitude of cool, mostly rooted apps available from the Magisk repo. Click on the 3 horizontal lines and select Downloads, then browse thru the large list of apps that are available.

_________
Change Log:
7/3/2018 Made changes to allow user to choose to install either Magisk 16 released or Magisk 16.4 beta. Thanks to @GotHeart for information regarding Magisk 16.4 beta.
6/27/2018 Made several changes when I determined that fastboot was creating encrypted userdata and cache partitions whenever flashing lock state was changed. Ultimately, I was able to simplify this procedure, as I can now guarantee that step 14 will create a non-encrypted userdata and cache filesystem. This allowed me to eliminate several subsequent steps. Thanks to @tge101 for identifying this issue.
5/21/2018 Created initial procedure.

This method worked, unlike brad's. Pretty easy to follow.
The Following User Says Thank You to RandoSwift For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RandoSwift Ad-Free
14th July 2018, 06:25 PM |#29  
Flag Las Vegas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoSwift

This method worked, unlike brad's. Pretty easy to follow.

Glad it worked for you... I have used it myself several times, so I know it works..
The Following User Says Thank You to tecknight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecknight Ad-Free
31st July 2018, 08:43 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 2,927

More
Does this method and twrp/boot files work on an x212tal? (LG Aristo 2+ Tmobile) ?
1st August 2018, 07:49 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
It might. It's not carrier specific because my us cellular k8 is rooted fine. You could always backup on a sd card and try it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lg-aristo-2, lg-k8-plus, lg-k9, lg-phoenix-4, lg-x2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)