FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TOAD - The Open-Source Android Deodexer

6,580 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,355

By Ticklefish, Recognized Themer on 29th September 2018, 09:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Ticklefish: Version 3.0.0.7. Just Uploaded!

Deodexing Android is hard. Writing a program that can deodex Android for you is even harder.

Whenever Google come up with a new version of the OS, they change how the odexed rom is put together. Which means that a new method to deodex it is required. Working out what that method is and how to automate the process can be really time-consuming. So what happens is many great deodexing tools fall into disuse because the developer isn't able to keep it updated.

That's where TOAD comes in. The idea behind The Open-source Android Deodexer is that it uses short, easy to read, batch files to process the odexed files. These batch files, or 'Methods' as I'm calling them, can be easily added to for new versions of Android.
Or they can be modified if they need to be. I'm not the best coder in the world, and I'm hardly an expert on deodexing. I don't even have a device on which I can test these Methods on right now. So, if somebody looks at the code and thinks it can be improved, those improvements can be made.

In fact, I'm not just encouraging people to make contributions if they can..I'm practically begging for them to. With the help of the community, this tool could theoretically last for years..

How To Deodex Your Files

To use TOAD, you first need to download the latest version from the link above. This is self-extracting EXE file which you can put anywhere. I suggest putting it in C: though just to minimise any issues.
When you run the EXE, you'll get a folder that looks like this:

The "Method_Files" folder contains all the batch files TOAD uses for the actual deodexing. The "Tool_Files" folder contains various files TOAD needs to run properly. And the "Your_Files" folder is empty - this is where your files need to go.
So copy into that folder your "build.prop" and "framework" folder. TOAD won't be able to do anything without those two things.
If you'd like to deodex your "app", "priv-app", "vendor/app", "vendor/priv-app", or "vendor/framework" folders, copy those in as well.

Once you've done that, run the tool.

TOAD will ask you if you want to deodex the framework folder or not. That's up to you but please bear in mind that, for any version of Android past KitKat (4.4.4. - API 19), you won't be able to deodex anything without an odexed framework folder.

The tool will now read the build.prop file and find out which version of Android you're using. This is done by finding out the API used to make the rom. Every version of Android has its own, unique API and there's a page that lists them all here: https://source.android.com/setup/start/build-numbers.
Every Android version that TOAD can handle will have its own individual Method file. This is a batch file in the "Method_Files" folder. If there's one that matches your files, TOAD will ask you if you want it to try to deodex everything.
Click on "YES" and sit back. TOAD will take care of everything else for you.

TOAD will go through the various files and try to deodex them, using the method outlined in the relevant batch file. If a file can't be deodexed, the tool will make a note of the error and move onto the next one.
As long as it's able to deodex at least one file, TOAD will make a ZIP file for you when it's finished.

Flash this in recovery and your rom should now be deodexed.

However, because every rom is different and developers like to do their own things, there is a chance that this ZIP won't work. So make sure you do a full backup before you try it. The ZIP shouldn't brick your phone but I can't guarantee you won't end up in a bootloop.

If it works, let me know. If it doesn't work, let me know as well so I can try and work out a solution. The more we know, the better TOAD will be!

XDA:DevDB Information
TOAD - The Open-Source Android Deodexer, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
Ticklefish

Version Information

Created 2018-09-29
Last Updated 2019-04-13
The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ticklefish Ad-Free

29th September 2018, 09:41 AM |#2  
HOW TO DEODEX YOUR ROM

To use TOAD, you first need to download the latest version from the link above. This is self-extracting EXE file which you can put anywhere. I suggest putting it in C: though just to minimise any issues.

The "Method_Files" folder contains all the batch files TOAD uses for the actual deodexing. The "Tool_Files" folder contains various files TOAD needs to run properly. And the "Your_Files" folder is empty - this is where your files need to go.
So copy into that folder your "build.prop" and "framework" folder. TOAD won't be able to do anything without those two things.
If you'd like to deodex your "app", "priv-app", "vendor/app", "vendor/priv-app", or "vendor/framework" folders, copy those in as well.

Once you've done that, run the tool.

TOAD will ask you if you want to deodex the framework folder or not. That's up to you but please bear in mind that, for any version of Android past KitKat (4.4.4. - API 19), you won't be able to deodex anything without an odexed framework folder.

The tool will now read the build.prop file and find out which version of Android you're using. This is done by finding out the API used to make the rom. Every version of Android has its own, unique API and there's a page that lists them all here: https://source.android.com/setup/start/build-numbers.
Every Android version that TOAD can handle will have its own individual Method file. This is a batch file in the "Method_Files" folder. If there's one that matches your files, TOAD will ask you if you want it to try to deodex everything.

TOAD will go through the various files and try to deodex them, using the method outlined in the relevant batch file. If a file can't be deodexed, the tool will make a note of the error and move onto the next one.
As long as it's able to deodex at least one file, TOAD will make a ZIP file for you when it's finished.

Flash this in recovery and your rom should now be deodexed.

However, because every rom is different and developers like to do their own things, there is a chance that this ZIP won't work. So make sure you do a full backup before you try it. The ZIP shouldn't brick your phone but I can't guarantee you won't end up in a bootloop.

If it works, let me know. If it doesn't work, let me know as well so I can try and work out a solution. The more we know, the better TOAD will be!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ticklefish Ad-Free
29th September 2018, 09:41 AM |#3  
HOW TO DEODEX INDIVIDUAL FILES

If you'd like to deodex files from your "app", "priv-app", "vendor/app", "vendor/priv-app", or "vendor/framework" folders, copy those in as well.

Once you've done that, run the tool and select the bottom option.

TOAD will scan the folders and present you with a list of all the odexed APK and JAR files available. For Android 4.4. (KitKat) and above, this won't include any of the 'boot' JAR files. These have to be deodexed all at the same time and doing so will make it impossible to deodex the rest of the rom.
If you want to deodex these without deodexing the rest of the rom, just put the "framework" folder and "build.prop" file in the "Your_Files" folder only then select the top option on the first screen. This will process the whole "framework" folder only.

TOAD will try to deodex the file, using the method outlined in the relevant batch file. If the file can't be deodexed, the tool will make a note of the error and let you know.
If the file can be deodexed, TOAD will make a ZIP file for you when it's finished.

Flash this in recovery and your file should now be deodexed.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ticklefish Ad-Free
29th September 2018, 09:56 AM |#4  
*** reserved ***
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ticklefish Ad-Free
29th September 2018, 09:57 AM |#5  
** reserved **
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ticklefish Ad-Free
29th September 2018, 11:01 AM |#6  
Flag /home/albe96
Thanks Meter: 4,086

Donate to Me
More
Another Good Job.Nice Tools Coming From You! Good Luck On Improving Your Skills More..
The Following User Says Thank You to Albe96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Albe96 Ad-Free
29th September 2018, 08:59 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 475

More
Its great as always
thanks bro
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamidreza2010 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hamidreza2010 Ad-Free
30th September 2018, 07:02 PM |#8  
Flag Adrano
Thanks Meter: 3,168

Donate to Me
More
Great job! Good luck with your new projectšŸ˜„
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackMesa123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BlackMesa123 Ad-Free
30th September 2018, 07:08 PM |#9  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 12,283

Donate to Me
More
This is amazing !, Power to you !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ananjaser1211 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th September 2018, 07:14 PM |#10  
Flag /home
Thanks Meter: 1,627

Donate to Me
More
Great job, mate, probably an excellent project like TMA
The Following User Says Thank You to AbrahamGC For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AbrahamGC Ad-Free
30th September 2018, 09:49 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1,333

More
@Ticklefish - Thanks for this. My first try: everything smooth, no errors, zip created, but nothing was deodexed. All of the files in the zip are the same as the original ones, apks and odex folders.
Xperia X Compact, latest stock 8.0...
The Following User Says Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift levone1 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)