By ghost45, Senior Member on 9th June 2019, 10:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th November 2019, 02:58 AM |#451  
Flag Metro NY/NE Region
Thanks Meter: 310

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagao_extremo

I've read all the 45 pages ... still don't know whether this is something that can be fixed with a software update or if it's related to hardware.

My spin on this, Umidigi has yet to code their camera app to make the triple cameras work properly all the time, only occassionally - the rear/main wide-angle camera on my "early production" global model seemed to be the "bad" batch with the worst problems, still unresolved. I've tried all the different camera apps suggested, all with mixed & varying, inconsistent results. The cameras aren't 100% defective, if you think about it - the wide angle and front/selfie cameras work on mine, 95% plus of the time - the rear/main cameras ... not so much. Results seemed to be a bit lucky when using outdoor and in excellent to good lighting conditions, where the various sensors aren't working hard or pushed to the limit.

Now that someone mentioned about problems with QR codes, I checked mine & sure enough, didn't work earlier but worked now, after I play around with a non-stock camera app to open the lens first. Google Duo or similar video calling apps, however, are mostly fine for me. Again, if the camera hardware is totally broken or defective, then - everything would freeze entirely - I suppose, it can be described or considered partial failure.

In the 4 months owning this, I've lower the expectations on how the A5 Pro is going to perform vs. the advertised performance in marketing ... the various 4G/LTE bands are functional in my travel abroad, WiFi is acceptable (5 Ghz band is much faster, use it if you can - 2.4 Ghz is slow but not horrible). Battery will sometimes stop charging when it reached 95% - it could be an indirect result of which/how it is being charged. I can watch vidoes on YT Vanced at 480p and 780p just fine, sound is acceptable & not going to expect near Dolby-like output ... mail apps & web browsing using Chrome is good.

For about $70 USD (after a partial refund) - it's not bad as a spare device. If it is going to be one's primary and everyday smartphone, I suggest spending a little more on a better brand with solid tech support & after-sales customer services; and, stay AWAY from AliExpress.

P.S. I am still using my Huawei Honor 5X and Xiaomei A2 Lite global (2018-19 model) - both working flawlessly - on a custom Lineage ROM & stock "Pie" (A2 Lite) - dual sims but fewer radio bands for world-wide coverage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Letitride For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Letitride Ad-Free
8th November 2019, 05:46 PM |#452  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitride

My spin on this, Umidigi has yet to code their camera app to make the triple cameras work properly all the time, only occassionally - the rear/main wide-angle camera on my "early production" global model seemed to be the "bad" batch with the worst problems, still unresolved. I've tried all the different camera apps suggested, all with mixed & varying, inconsistent results. The cameras aren't 100% defective, if you think about it - the wide angle and front/selfie cameras work on mine, 95% plus of the time - the rear/main cameras ... not so much. Results seemed to be a bit lucky when using outdoor and in excellent to good lighting conditions, where the various sensors aren't working hard or pushed to the limit.

Now that someone mentioned about problems with QR codes, I checked mine & sure enough, didn't work earlier but worked now, after I play around with a non-stock camera app to open the lens first. Google Duo or similar video calling apps, however, are mostly fine for me. Again, if the camera hardware is totally broken or defective, then - everything would freeze entirely - I suppose, it can be described or considered partial failure.

In the 4 months owning this, I've lower the expectations on how the A5 Pro is going to perform vs. the advertised performance in marketing ... the various 4G/LTE bands are functional in my travel abroad, WiFi is acceptable (5 Ghz band is much faster, use it if you can - 2.4 Ghz is slow but not horrible). Battery will sometimes stop charging when it reached 95% - it could be an indirect result of which/how it is being charged. I can watch vidoes on YT Vanced at 480p and 780p just fine, sound is acceptable & not going to expect near Dolby-like output ... mail apps & web browsing using Chrome is good.

For about $70 USD (after a partial refund) - it's not bad as a spare device. If it is going to be one's primary and everyday smartphone, I suggest spending a little more on a better brand with solid tech support & after-sales customer services; and, stay AWAY from AliExpress.

P.S. I am still using my Huawei Honor 5X and Xiaomei A2 Lite global (2018-19 model) - both working flawlessly - on a custom Lineage ROM & stock "Pie" (A2 Lite) - dual sims but fewer radio bands for world-wide coverage.

Thanks for your answer. Honestly, the more i know about this phone, the more i don't want to buy. It seems a bad choice even for a basic user like me. Do you have any other recommendation for budget smartphones around 100 dollars that i could buy at black friday?
9th November 2019, 12:51 AM |#453  
Flag Metro NY/NE Region
Thanks Meter: 310

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagao_extremo

... Do you have any other recommendation for budget smartphones around 100 dollars that i could buy at black friday?

It seemed your home location is Brazil ... let's face it, $100 USD or equivalent isn't going to get you much nowadays - might be looking at the pre-owned market for a mid-range device. Actually, an iPhone SE with 32GB storage, with a fresh/new battery isn't a bad idea, screen is small but everything else - just as good as many of the Androids out there, an unique OS of its own.

I would look at something like a Motorola G6, G6 Play (5.7" screen) but not dual-sims, good range of 4G/LTE bands - around $150 USD on Amazon.BR now. Xiaomi Redmi 7A or 6A (these are all dual-sims) should be good choices, about $130+ with the Mi A2 Lite (like mine) selling for a little over $200 ... well built, slim & very good battery/standby life, stock pure Android 9.0 with zero bloatware, regular OTA update & expected to get Android 10.0 in the coming months. Keep your eyes for Black Friday deals, just weeks away ...

If you have access to Swappa - check there for pre-owned ones in near new/mint or excellent conditions, often at very good prices & better than those found on eBay - which is sometimes a good place for clearance models from 2018 with warranty & free returns, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Letitride For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Letitride Ad-Free
9th November 2019, 07:01 AM |#454  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Anyone else running the phone on havoc os?
9th November 2019, 06:16 PM |#455  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitride

It seemed your home location is Brazil ... let's face it, $100 USD or equivalent isn't going to get you much nowadays - might be looking at the pre-owned market for a mid-range device. Actually, an iPhone SE with 32GB storage, with a fresh/new battery isn't a bad idea, screen is small but everything else - just as good as many of the Androids out there, an unique OS of its own.

I would look at something like a Motorola G6, G6 Play (5.7" screen) but not dual-sims, good range of 4G/LTE bands - around $150 USD on Amazon.BR now. Xiaomi Redmi 7A or 6A (these are all dual-sims) should be good choices, about $130+ with the Mi A2 Lite (like mine) selling for a little over $200 ... well built, slim & very good battery/standby life, stock pure Android 9.0 with zero bloatware, regular OTA update & expected to get Android 10.0 in the coming months. Keep your eyes for Black Friday deals, just weeks away ...

If you have access to Swappa - check there for pre-owned ones in near new/mint or excellent conditions, often at very good prices & better than those found on eBay - which is sometimes a good place for clearance models from 2018 with warranty & free returns, etc.

Hi, you are correct, i'm from Brazil. Looking for an used smartphone or iphone isn't the best option for me and i'm looking for an Android. I am going to take a look at your recommendations. Thanks.
11th November 2019, 06:39 PM |#456  
Flag Belluno
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
Anyone knows how to enable gestures in the navigation bar?
I've tried searching for the option in the navbar menu and in other settings as well but I can't find it ;-;
I'm talking about the ones that changes the navbar by adding a pill in the center that, when swiped, opens and swipes through recent apps.
11th November 2019, 11:03 PM |#457  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaniz

Anyone knows how to enable gestures in the navigation bar?
I've tried searching for the option in the navbar menu and in other settings as well but I can't find it ;-;
I'm talking about the ones that changes the navbar by adding a pill in the center that, when swiped, opens and swipes through recent apps.

Settings >Buttons is all there's to tinker with.
12th November 2019, 03:40 AM |#458  
Flag Belluno
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9up!

Settings >Buttons is all there's to tinker with.

Still can't find it...
It was the first place where I searched for it.
I can change the style of the buttons but can't enable the swiping feature
12th November 2019, 04:10 AM |#459  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaniz

Still can't find it...
It was the first place where I searched for it.
I can change the style of the buttons but can't enable the swiping feature

Because it isn't available as I have already told you.
13th November 2019, 11:05 AM |#460  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
So i got this Phone and looking for root and cfw, wich one should i use now.. and wich is working flawles?
13th November 2019, 10:10 PM |#461  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I am using pixel experience but the camera that came with it cannot make use of the wide angle lens.
How can I fix this?

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SveKa

So i got this Phone and looking for root and cfw, wich one should i use now.. and wich is working flawles?

You can try pixel experience. I am using it now and it is good except the camera apk cannot take wide angle image.
If that is important, you better use the stock.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
umidigi-a5-pro

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)