UMIDIGI F1 Play

Search This thread

BlurtFlabber

Jun 6, 2019
My bad, I got the phone recently and updated as soon as I got it because I heard there was an update that fixed camera support in May, but my camera app version is the same. I do agree the UX of the stock app is bad, you can't slide the options around despite the fact that you can slide the sub-options in Pro mode around. This is why I mostly only use it for quick point-and-shoot pics.

As for Camera2 API, I'm not sure if it's entirely inaccessible as OpenCamera is able to access things usually limited to Camera2 API using a toggle specifically called "Use Camera2 API". However, it still is unable to save RAW/DMG files, so maybe not completely accessible??????

I think the camera2.api is fully functional on the F1 Play!! Well, level_3 isn't.... but I'm not sure if that's absolutely needed. I need to research it.

Use the app Camera2 probe from the play store.

All we need is a modded version of Gcam and we're all set! The Google pixel camera app should fully function. We just need to find a version that supports the Samsung Chip and the Helio P60

Not sure if gcam can access the dual cameras? My understanding is that no 3rd party app has access to the dual cameras via the API. So, perhaps gcam will?

The bokah mode in the stock camera is horrible. Also stock camera focusing is awful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190612-210539.png
    Screenshot_20190612-210539.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:

Mpourinio16

Sep 1, 2013
Xiaomi Mi MIX 4
I have the phone over a month now. Managed to root it, used exposed but something was missing. Also got random reboots from time to time.
So today decided to play with Pie gsi roms. I installed blissrom. First impressions are excellent. No more reboots. Fully customizable and rooted again with magisk. Also themable.
Calls work as it should. Great sound and cameras work perfect. Screenshot_Settings_20190613-173644.jpgScreenshot_Settings_20190613-173628.jpgScreenshot_Settings_20190613-173545.jpg

Sent from my Bliss Bass with Treble using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: john2k10

john2k10

Dec 19, 2015
I have the phone over a month now. Managed to root it, used exposed but something was missing. Also got random reboots from time to time.
So today decided to play with Pie gsi roms. I installed blissrom. First impressions are excellent. No more reboots. Fully customizable and rooted again with magisk. Also themable.
Calls work as it should. Great sound and cameras work perfect. View attachment 4776239View attachment 4776240View attachment 4776241

Sent from my Bliss Bass with Treble using Tapatalk

Does NFC work? Are there any non-standard steps in flashing procedure, or just a straightforward TWRP zip? Cheers

Last edited:

Capt.Obvious

Apr 3, 2014
I used the format all, because after (download only) showed those red letters on the screen. I thought the format would be removed from the screen. But the letters remained on the screen, only imei and meid numbers changed.

I hope you made a backup image of your phone when you first installed custom recovery. If so, just restore your nvdata /nvcfg to get back your IMEIs. As for the red text, I can give you the method but it will be to no avail. Go to the mtk engineer mode. Under 'Log and Debugging' select 'Debug Utils'. There you will see 'Clear Red Screen'. Now the caveat. It's currently a dummy button and will do nothing. The theory is that the debug level needs to be change to 'Engineer Mode' and that currently can't be done either. It just trolls you saying to "Try again later."

My suggestion is to keep writing UMIDIGI. They are not known for their customer service like this, so don't have your hopes too high. Your other option is to look around the forums and encourage people to help unlock the engineer mode features. Good luck.

Reactions: InTheY2K

eSZee

Apr 13, 2011
I'm on the January system update. It's the only one offered to me when I ask it to update. The camera app is version 1.1.60030.

The bokah mode is awful. The mode selection buttons don't slide, so when you select slow motion you can't simply slide back to the other side, etc.

I've heard that they need to enable camera2.api in the OS for gcam to work. Why they didn't do it already I don't know.

Everyone is on the january update, according to the screen you're talking about. You need to go to settings>system>advanced>about phone>wireless update. Should show _20190522-0956 as latest.

Name28

Feb 10, 2016
Hello,

I have several questions, I would appreciate if someone could help.
1. Does anybody have google camera for this device?
2. How to remove/hide Google search thing from the home screen?
3. How to change/switch sensor buttons on the bottom of the screen (home button etc.)?

Thanks.

BlurtFlabber

Jun 6, 2019
Hello,

I have several questions, I would appreciate if someone could help.
1. Does anybody have google camera for this device?
2. How to remove/hide Google search thing from the home screen?
3. How to change/switch sensor buttons on the bottom of the screen (home button etc.)?

Thanks.

3. Settings / Smart Assistant / Buttons

https://www.fonedog.com/android-toolkit/remove-google-search-bar-android.html

1. Apparently a few versions work but not with all the features. We're still waiting for a full version to work. Very soon I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Name28

Name28

Feb 10, 2016
3. Settings / Smart Assistant / Buttons

2. I think you hold down on the main screen and choose widgets then scroll down to Google.

1. Apparently a few versions work but not with all the features. We're still waiting for a full version to work. Very soon I think.

Thank you for a quick response! It helped.
However, regarding 2. I actually can add another, the same google search widget, but cannot hide/remove the one on the top of the screen.

Reactions: BlurtFlabber

BlurtFlabber

Jun 6, 2019
Thank you for a quick response! It helped.
However, regarding 2. I actually can add another, the same google search widget, but cannot hide/remove the one on the top of the screen.

Yes, I noticed that and edited my reply to include a link to an article concerning the issue. It's an Android 9 issue. You may have to disable Google Search app

BlurtFlabber

Jun 6, 2019
It would be nice if somebody could create a dedicated Umidigi forum here at XDA with sub-forums for each model phone.

BZ0RG

Jan 28, 2018
Hi there :)

Recently got an UMIDIGI F1 play, pretty impressed yet and definitely looking to root it!

I've read the steps to unlock bootloader and root phone, but before going further I'm wondering if there is a limit on OTA version to be used? (Currently running 2019_0522)

Coming from LG G3/G4 the process was easier, also does root involves any functionality loss (excepted OTA updates)? I would like to install magisk, adaway and viper4arise if supported.

Cheers

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
Hi there :)

Recently got an UMIDIGI F1 play, pretty impressed yet and definitely looking to root it!

I've read the steps to unlock bootloader and root phone, but before going further I'm wondering if there is a limit on OTA version to be used? (Currently running 2019_0522)

Coming from LG G3/G4 the process was easier, also does root involves any functionality loss (excepted OTA updates)? I would like to install magisk, adaway and viper4arise if supported.

Cheers

There should not be any restrictions on which OTA version you are on. As the manufacturer has the rooting directions on There own forums.

Reactions: BZ0RG and InTheY2K

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New UMIDIGI F1 Play

New thread for the new model UMIDIGI F1 Play Helio P60 Octa core Mtk 6771

Umidigi F1 Play MT6771 Octa Core 4G LTE 802.11ac 6GB 64GB Android 9 Smartphone 6,3 inches

black.jpg

Attention this UMIDIGI F1 play is different from UMIDIGI F1 .
    the two models have different hardware and different Kernel !

Everybody are Welcome!:good:

MANY THANKS TO OUR MODERATORS TO OPEN AGAIN THIS THREAD !
    More attention to the Xda-developers Rules:
    http://xdaforums.com/announcement.php?f=256
    Many thanks to "SUPER ADMIN" MR. MIKE​
    Recovery modded +
    How to receive Right Root in this new Device
    F1_Play From UMIDIGI Brand

Attention this UMIDIGI F1 play is different from UMIDIGI F1 .
    the two models have different hardware and different Kernel !

This Thread is not for beginners and all the steps made will be down the warrancy at own risk.
    This tutorial will guide you through the process of installing a custom recovery image
    on your MediaTek based UMIDIGI smartphone and to receive right root access.

Some possible issues that might need your attention:

Custom recovery images of different Android versions are not always interchangeable. For example, you can't install an Android 5.0 recovery on a 4.4 system and so on. Any exceptions are mentioned in the list of recovery images.
    At most of the devices, after flashing the TWRP image, first you have to boot into recovery (TWRP) or the stock recovery will be restored.
    At some devices, after flashing TWRP, first you have to root your phone (install SuperSU or Magisk) or it won't be able to boot into the system.
    Once you've rooted your device, you won't be able to install OTA updates anymore but the only way to update your phone is flashing with SP Flash Tool. Flashing a stock ROM (with the stock recovery) will make you able to install OTA updates again.
    At some devices (or specific ROM versions), when powering on your phone to boot into TWRP (power + vol-up), after about 3 seconds, you have to release the power button (even if your screen is still black) and keep only the vol-up button pressed until the TWRP welcome screen pops up or the recovery will be skipped and your phone will boot into the system.

What you need:

Driver for Preloader USB VCOM mode:
    Windows 10 already can automatically install it or you can use this:
    MTK_Driver_Auto_Installer_SP_Drivers_20160804.exe

SP Flash Tool application:
    SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1812.rar
    Adb Command for Windows pc:
    Command adb for dos/windows

A custom recovery image that fits your phone
    Scatter + Recovery twrp

161731xmkc0140dfkkm0qk.jpg

Test 1 Phase......

@Everybody
    the custom recovery twrp test1 is already in testng phase.....................

Procedure to how to flash the Recovery into Umidigi F1 Play

Now is not possible to flash the recovery throught flashtool because there is a bootloader locked so we must go ahead with adb command.

1) download all the previous files;

2) in Android F1 Play in "Settings System details" enter in about phone ot make visible the developer options click several times on about phone ....

3) in Setting System will be now shown the developer menu' enter and switch to visible OEM unlocking allow the bootloader to be unlocked.

4) reboot the phone and with power menu' and volume + in the same time enter in booting menu'.......select fastboot mode.

5) Now in windws pc run the commad cmd or open a ms-dos window and enter in the adb folder ;

6)write the command fastboot devices...and the phone connected with the usb cable must answer the command that is connected..

7) use the command fastboot oem unlock and wait....

8) copy with windows command the recovery twrp.img in the adb folder and renamed it with recovery.img
    to flash in the phone use this command : Fastboot flash flash recovery recovery.img
    the process will start ...and wait it...

9) make this command to reboot into recovery mode: fastboot reboot.
    10) now take the buttons pushed with power menu' + volume + and select recovery mode....

11) in recovery mode will show probably russian language...skip the alert with the arrow back and enter in details menu' on the right top to change the language...

NOW NOT REBOOT INTO ANDROID SYSTEM WITHOUT MAKE THE ROOT STEPS
    because the android system protection will flash automatically the recovery original and all of you will lost the recovery twrp flashed before
    and all of you will repeit all the preious steps again

How to Root your Umidigi F1 Play

How to Root:
    Enter in the Recovery mode.....
    You need to FORMAT the partition given TWICE a simple deletion is not enough it seems in Android 7 and upper.
    Follow this procedure in this exact order and should solve most problems.

1. Install TWRP through flashtool or adb command and then directly restore in recovery (twrp) do not enter in android system under penalty of twrp deletion and restoration of the original recovery.
    2. Select Wipe / Advanced / select date Yes to confirm. When finished, choose Restart, then always in recovery.
    3. Choose Wipe Advanced Format DATA again type Yes to confirm When it ends choose Restart always in recovery.
    4. Select Wipe and select cache and Dalvik scroll to confirm When it finishes choose Restart and always in Recovery.

5. Now install Magisk 17.1 use this version tested
    Magisk 17.1 (Tested)

you can restart in the android system and you will find magisk installed.

For a full root you have to install from the play store busybox app and install the busybox binaries at least in sbin and bin (system folders) the app will guide you
    Busybox see here:
    lCkpBdZUgO3lB-ANrvlp0RE7D9w_LN3AUjYbRF3tgf4CizLs_xQiz1LwB5_GKiWPs_w=w300

Busybox in the google playstore
    I prefer this app to others because of its track automation that doesn't require much experience.

@Everybody
    the custom recovery twrp test1 is already in testng phase.....................

These recent post , about loosing root after an OTA , are , well obviously correct.

OTA update is supposed to update the system and boot partition (even though this is system as root device). And this update process will remove root.
    Because magisk root is on the boot.img.

As for the bootloops to recovery after the update, well that a known issue. And a somewhat simple solution.
    The Stock system sets a reboot code into the misc partition. Or call it the " para" (parameter) partition. Stock recovery wipes this data on an update or reset. Twrp is not doing this. But you can clear the reboot recovery command using terminal in twrp.
    I have even added the wipe command to my Own port Of twrp. (Added to fstab).
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/bootdevice/by-name/para count=1 bs=32
    Same thing I mentioned in this post a while back in the F1 thread.
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=79638705&postcount=2