UMIDIGI S3 Pro

1,473 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,132

By ghost45, Senior Member on 13th March 2019, 09:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th July 2019, 06:44 AM |#331  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I finally decided to give up on the S3 Pro and went back to my trusty Lenovo P2.
There were just too many issues with the phone like bad mobile/wifi reception, wifi dropping issues, touchscreen issues and dissappointing camera app. I don't even trust some of the bloatware stock system apps that come with the phone, like the suspiciously large flashlight app, and several hidden ones. On top of that the screen cracked on the first fall it took, from about 1m.
About the only thing I did like is how easy it was to unlock and flash the phone, and install treble images.

14th July 2019, 08:12 PM |#332  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLee

So, got the phone got the OTA and got the Metro issue worked out. Now about Root? Has anyone been successful in rooting without it affecting the device? And most important, is there a way to get the damn Google Search widget off of the stock home screen? I haven't been able to.

Rooting the phone is easy, just need to unlock it first. Install TWRP then magisk, then you're rooted. However when rooted you cannot update OTA, when I tried, the phone boot-looped into TWRP, and had to do a full reset with SP flash tool, lost one full day. Now I've frozen "Wireless Update" with Titanium Backup.

As for your second question, I got rid of the Google Search widget using the NOVA launcher, otherwise it's not possible to get rid of it (at least for me), even after you uninstall or freeze it.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by croquettelehamster

The root of the problem is simply a manufacturing / hardware issue on some units (I think that a lot of S3 Pro are affected, this could be a design flaw... The phone design and conception phase was probably rushed in order to meet Indiegogo's time limits and delays).

Good luck to everybody ! I sincerely wish and hope that you will all be luckier than me with the UMIDIGI S3 Pro !

Big thanks to ghost45, Rwmega, and all other participants in this thread !

My phone doesn't seem to be affected by this hardware grounding issue. So far it's working properly, thank God!

Thanks for the advisory!
The Following User Says Thank You to mbsans For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mbsans Ad-Free
14th July 2019, 09:35 PM |#333  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
I've experienced a touchscreen unresponsive only a couple of times, but it went away in a few seconds & hasn't happened again.

As far as rooting, I got BL unlocked BUT could never get TWRP flashed using adb. CMD would sit at "waiting for device" or say no recovery image found even though there is one in the folder CMD is opened in. So I had to use SPFT to flash TWRP. Noticed BL relocked, but TWRP & root remained intact. All good though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zahr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zahr Ad-Free
15th July 2019, 04:13 PM |#334  

More
I don't understand why all you guys run the risk of installing TWRP? You guys are wiping your NV partitions, creating boot loops, and still running the half-assed version of Umidigi's Android with options removed...
All you need to do with this phone is unlock the boot loader, then push a new Treble based ROM using fastboot and you're done! Everything works perfectly for me, I'm running BlissROM and haven't had any issues in 4 weeks now. The battery is amazing, even better than stock! If you just want a custom ROM that will work and have all the features and then some of the latest Android then this is all you need to do! Always take a backup of your NVRAM before doing anything to your phone just in case, but you won't need it if you just follow these steps!
15th July 2019, 07:03 PM |#335  
Newark
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davindy

I don't understand why all you guys run the risk of installing TWRP? You guys are wiping your NV partitions, creating boot loops, and still running the half-assed version of Umidigi's Android with options removed...
All you need to do with this phone is unlock the boot loader, then push a new Treble based ROM using fastboot and you're done! Everything works perfectly for me, I'm running BlissROM and haven't had any issues in 4 weeks now. The battery is amazing, even better than stock! If you just want a custom ROM that will work and have all the features and then some of the latest Android then this is all you need to do! Always take a backup of your NVRAM before doing anything to your phone just in case, but you won't need it if you just follow these steps!

I tried like hell to get bliss going. Got it installed and it looked beautiful, but could not get it to recognize sim cards.
15th July 2019, 07:42 PM |#336  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by I opus l

I tried like hell to get bliss going. Got it installed and it looked beautiful, but could not get it to recognize sim cards.

I had this same issue when I first got my S3, you must have wiped your NVRAM somehow, clearing out your IMEI's....but not sure how you restored it either if that's the case...?
But using my method it will work. Just flash everything back to stock using the SP Flash Tool and then fastboot a Treble ROM over to your phone if your boot loader is already unlocked.

It truly can't be any easier, and it's so much safer.
16th July 2019, 02:51 PM |#337  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 637

More
Does anyone have the issue of this device defaulting to the Recent Apps screen when you unlock it?
17th July 2019, 07:44 PM |#338  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by croquettelehamster

You are lucky

According to what I read on UMIDIGI forums, its seems that, at least (that is unfortunate) I am not the only S3 Pro user whose phone have been critically and negatively affected by the latest update.

About all these touchscreen issues, I think that UMIDIGI contracts various manufacturers to produce the LCD / digitizer panels for the F1 / F1 Play / S3 Pro series. Since they probably use the cheapest parts for everything in order to make their margin, I am convinced that the parts used for the LCD/digitizer combo are not all 100% identical between the various manufacturers.

And this must cause major issues for touchscreen drivers, parameters, sentisitivity...

If they change some parameters to solve issues for people that have a S3 Pro with LCD/digitizer combo from manufacturer X, then these changes can create issues for people whose S3 Pro had LCD/digitizer from manufacturer Y.

Among the three S3 Pro I had in my hand, no two of them had screens that looked alike visually...

it was mentioned that they contracted companies and that the total amount ofpieces in the phone is like 3k pieces assembled into the phone. Now here is an interesting thing tho. Some users phone will show S3_pro while others will have A-Gold, and A-gold is also a manufacturer and this is the version I have and so far I have had no hardware issues that people are talking about. Altough It seems that wifi and bluetooth signal is pretty poor thats what I thought was a problem on my phone but its the design thats faulty. Comparing to my old xiaomi redmi note4x it gives pretty good signal where 2 bars will still give internet, while my phone will either not see the acces point or gives me incorrect bars (2 bars = no internet) I will probably buy another xiaomi in the future at least they have some pretty good networking gear (courtesy of papa huawei)
17th July 2019, 09:56 PM |#339  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Last couple of days including today screen problems have occurred. Touch capacitive buttons are going haywire like they're being touched rapidly, all at the same time or held down. Status bar acts like it's being slid down briefly. All while I'm not even touching the phone lol No moisture has gotten into the device nor has it been dropped.
Data signal is atrocious now as compared to before I had to regain IMEIs MEIDs & GC.
So I'm dropping to a previous ROM version. Not really worried about the camera as I'm not too into taking photos.

Actually going to try the boot.img trick to see if that fixes this screen.
18th July 2019, 01:38 AM |#340  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davindy

Great point, I'd like to install Bliss OS, but maybe you can clarify a few things for me:

1- When you say fastboot, what are the exact steps, what's the command, just copy the whole image over? I'd appreciate if you post a link on how-to.
2- By installing Bliss OS, I'd like to completely disable the encryption, is it possible?
3- I'd really like to have TWRP in my phone. Will it have access to the Main Storage after installing Bliss OS? Right now, TWRP with the stock rom doesn't have access to it.

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLee

Does anyone have the issue of this device defaulting to the Recent Apps screen when you unlock it?

No, not an issue for me, never had that, but maybe a reset could fix it.
18th July 2019, 02:41 AM |#341  
Newark
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahr

Last couple of days including today screen problems have occurred. Touch capacitive buttons are going haywire like they're being touched rapidly, all at the same time or held down. Status bar acts like it's being slid down briefly. All while I'm not even touching the phone lol No moisture has gotten into the device nor has it been dropped.
Data signal is atrocious now as compared to before I had to regain IMEIs MEIDs & GC.
So I'm dropping to a previous ROM version. Not really worried about the camera as I'm not too into taking photos.

Actually going to try the boot.img trick to see if that fixes this screen.

I'm getting the rapid button tap too. First it was playing clash of clans and highlight a specific item rapidly. It's coming more and more frequently it seems.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
umidigi-s3-pro

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)