FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Utility] Odin for Linux !!! (JOdin3 CASUAL)

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 48

By Toby4213, Member on 13th April 2018, 07:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have finally found a working version of Odin for Linux!
JOdin 3 Casual powered by Heimdall

You need at least Java 8, if you don't have it already:
To see the java version type:
Code:
java -version
Aptitude Package Manager:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt update
sudo apt install oracle-java9-installer
If necessary change the java environment to the new one(this should be changed automatically by the installer of the new package):
Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config java

JOdin3 Mirrors:
mega.nz
androidfilehost.com

FYI:
Odin New/Old Button Labeling

22nd May 2018, 11:57 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks I am new to this and not a developer. I have downloaded Jodin3 files but how do I install please? Thanks Hugo
30th June 2018, 10:40 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhugo

Thanks I am new to this and not a developer. I have downloaded Jodin3 files but how do I install please? Thanks Hugo

Download jdoin .gz file, decompress it to your directory you want e.g /home/username/programs/jodin/

than right click on the file "JOdin3CASUAL" and open it, if you have installed java 8.
18th August 2018, 12:40 PM |#4  

More
i need take smilock this program will be good?
11th September 2018, 10:36 PM |#5  

More
Okay, so, I have to ask. Why does this program need super user authentication? I don't understand why it needs that level of access if it's just for flashing the ROM on a cellphone. I'm just saying that's unrelated to needing root access on my computer, I think.
11th September 2018, 10:58 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakku

Okay, so, I have to ask. Why does this program need super user authentication? I don't understand why it needs that level of access if it's just for flashing the ROM on a cellphone. I'm just saying that's unrelated to needing root access on my computer, I think.

I am not 100% shure but I think it has something to do with access to the usb port... Odin needs permission to use the port for other things than mounting a flash drive... Again im not shure, haven't looked into it much. Since the adb cli also need root permissions I think that odin also really needs higher permissions.
17th January 2019, 03:51 PM |#7  
Flag musselkanaal
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby4213

I am not 100% shure but I think it has something to do with access to the usb port... Odin needs permission to use the port for other things than mounting a flash drive... Again im not shure, haven't looked into it much. Since the adb cli also need root permissions I think that odin also really needs higher permissions.

IT is quite common, Xiaomi also needs sudo to work
4th February 2019, 10:07 PM |#8  
maryville
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Looks like Oracle not supporting Java 9 through PPA

I downloaded files and it looks like "old" version

Can someone explain to me how to get "new" version because I am trying to install firmware on Note9

I just spent 4 hours looking through youtube and the web trying to get the "new" version of jodin.

ty for any help given.
8th March 2019, 09:26 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Why odin needs su access
Odin needs su access because the underlying adb shell needs root to execute programs on the device itself, which Odin will need to do in order to perform the update/root procedure. I'm not an advanced android engineer, but I know linux well enough to know running arbitrary code on an attached peripheral is a security hole and should not be run unless one knows what they are doing (hence needing su, since admins are the ones that should know if a program is malicious)
19th July 2019, 09:20 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 9

Donate to Me
More
Hi! Can this be installed on Arm64, specifically through a containerized instance of linux? Asking for a friend!

[UPDATE]

OK, so to explain the reasoning behind the question... I've been trying to explain to this dude why this won't work but he refuses to listen because odin is in the linux repositories despite the software description saying something about MRI machines. He now finally after a couple hours understands the difference between that odin and this odin. FINALLY.

He wants to run this odin on his TabS4 through linux on dex in order to flash his note 9... I know... I tried... Maybe someone here can explain it better to him, I have him keeping an eye on these comments.
20th July 2019, 07:49 AM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbyrd

Hi! Can this be installed on Arm64, specifically through a containerized instance of linux? Asking for a friend!

[UPDATE]

OK, so to explain the reasoning behind the question... I've been trying to explain to this dude why this won't work but he refuses to listen because odin is in the linux repositories despite the software description saying something about MRI machines. He now finally after a couple hours understands the difference between that odin and this odin. FINALLY.

He wants to run this odin on his TabS4 through linux on dex in order to flash his note 9... I know... I tried... Maybe someone here can explain it better to him, I have him keeping an eye on these comments.

I highly doubt that this would work for the sole reason that odin and for that matter fastboot and adb, need OS level access to the usb controller. DeX in desktop mode would take up the only available usb-c port, this would be a problem since on pc you need to connect the phone directly to the mainboard on the pc instead of using a usb hub. Without the docking station this *might* work but then again I doubt that the linux container has enought OS level permissions to use the usb port in that way. On the bright side, arm64 shouldn't be a problem since java is also available on arm. This means that the odin .jar should be able to run and show the gui but flashing wouldn't be possible but you could give it a try. If odin doesn't work try fastboot on android(not in DEX), links below.

That said there are other ways of getting phone to phone flashing to work. Here are some links:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2586472
https://github.com/kosborn/p2p-adb/

With fastboot you could flash twrp and with that could flash root and custom roms and so on. This nowadays is the preferred method anyway, since you wouldn't depend on a usb cable to f*** up the rom flash.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
java, jodin, jodin3, linux, odin

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)