VTech Innotab Max

866 posts
Thanks Meter: 124

By blakegriplingph, Senior Member on 18th November 2014, 07:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th January 2015, 08:46 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Konami code was found after multiple test, first one was the factory reset. Once found this one, the recovery was pretty easy to guess !!

Rt now, you can install whatever apk you want and run it, as soon as you have a PC to push to foreground the launcher with the provided command.

There are some vtech applications available to do some maintenance/configuration operation, but GUI is not friendly enough to understand the right purpose.
I will not be able to work on it during the week, so if someone else has a Max device, let us know your findings
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico_FR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nico_FR Ad-Free
20th January 2015, 01:03 PM |#22  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_FR

Hello there

My daughter just had one, and I've spend couple of hours on this one.
Right now, here is the status:
- I can boot in bootloader interface mode
- I can "adb" with device
- while in shell mode, "su" is working fine, and can read full content of the tablet

You can see in attached pic that they may had some issue on the wifi/bluetooth device as they are some testonly release in it

Root folder content

So what you're saying is that the SU binary was there on the device all along? In other words, you don't even need to do much besides the instructions you posted here and on Spiffy, as well as a Superuser tool?
20th January 2015, 07:48 PM |#23  

More
Yes, SU is already in, as busybox

You can install any APK you want, it's running fine also
21st January 2015, 01:29 AM |#24  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_FR

Yes, SU is already in, as busybox

You can install any APK you want, it's running fine also

That's lovely, though I do wonder if Vtech's decision to leave su on the tab by default is a good move on their part on a security standpoint, even if it isn't readily accessible to end-users.

Also, a user at Spiffy wondered how cartridge-based games are loaded and run on the Max. The GeneralPlus SoCs used on lower-end Innotabs are ARM-based, but do cart games run on an emulator, or is there some sort of wrapper used to implement API calls specific to the non-Android Innotabs? The latter seems likely though since the GPL32902's ARMv6 anyway.
24th January 2015, 08:18 AM |#25  
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Hi, thanks for the info, I've managed to get Google play store installed, but i can't download anything from there. I'm wondering if the existing download manager needs to be changed or modified, or whether I need to add androids default one alongside it? (or if there's anything else missing?). It loads up fine and I can go through the menus, just get stuck on 'downloading' when I try to get any apps from there. Tried clearing caches and data from play store, rebooting, etc but no change.

I don't know a great deal about all of this, I've been using android and rooting etc for a few years, but everything has been done via instructions on here and using Google.

Has anybody else had any joy on these and gotten any further?
24th January 2015, 12:31 PM |#26  

More
Did not tried this one. I 'm more focus on understanding the vtech stuff than just getting a standard android tablet

I'm looking at how to add some games entry in the "gameshelf" application. It seems this one is using the "fakeapp.db" located in /data/data/com.vetch.innotab.vpm/databases but it seems to be encrypted.

Now I'm looking for any more app in this chain in order to understand how it is encrypted.

Have you seen also the application named "GGManager" ? Don't know yet how it works and what it should do.
Same for "VPM Activity" and "WMDLService"
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico_FR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nico_FR Ad-Free
25th January 2015, 02:13 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
WMDLService is probably the WishMaker Download Service - what that does exactly I don't know apart from advertise vtech apps to my daughter to make her ask me to buy them.
The Following User Says Thank You to <stu> For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift <stu> Ad-Free
25th January 2015, 04:09 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Updates. To this on the spiffy site
25th January 2015, 11:36 AM |#29  
Flag Norwich

More
If everything can be accessed through the Vtech Desktop UI that would be amazing. I don't plan on using the android launcher if I can help it, as it will keep things simple for my kids and stop them from playing around with things they shouldn't!

The main reasons for myself wanting to 'hack' the tablet are:

1. To get more free apps (preferably via play store, and have them in the game shelf if we can)
2. To allow the use of certain services such as cbeebies iplayer (URLs differ greatly from original website address when attempting to play programmes, so access is blocked unless you add every single programme address to approved websites)
3. To improve performance of the device

So, finding a way to allow external downloads to work (im also getting 'failed to start download' message in chrome browser), getting around the approved websites issue whilst still keeping browsing safe, and adding 1 or 2 apps to run in the background that'll keep things running smoothly are the current goals.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

WMDLService looks interesting. I tried pressing a couple of buttons but nothing happened! GGManager must be to do with the gift gallery, so maybe the service that gets the gifts (stickers) from the parent app to the kid connect app.
25th January 2015, 12:41 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Amazon app store seems to work ok, tho I had to sideload it to get it on.

So far I have just added CBeebies Playtime and Sidebar Lite (again sideloaded) to access it.

I deleted the fakeapp.db, but it just removed everything from GameShelf, Ebooks and the installed cartridge needing downloading again. However, it downloaded all the missing apps again and after a few minutes they were all back in GameShelf and Ebooks. It seems the fakeapp.db is synced with the vtech servers, so it may not be so easy to add extra items to it.

I think with sidebar pro it should be ok to lock the items on the sidebar which means you can control what is accessed, but it is not under the control of the time restrictions, so not ideal.

I think perhaps the way forward is to look at modifying ITMDesktop to add an extra gameshelf, or just add extra apps there. It would need a way to control what is added tho.

However it is big step forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to <stu> For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift <stu> Ad-Free
25th January 2015, 02:17 PM |#31  
Flag Norwich

More
Yeah I tried amazon app store shortly after posting, and the app downloads games fine, so there doesn't seem to be any restrictions to external downloads.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)