FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Warning: Current Pixi 4 (4) 4034N will softbrick if you unlock the flash

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By palbeda, Junior Member on 16th September 2016, 09:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

I thought it be good to warn all Alcatel Pixi 4 (4) owners. The current version of the stock rom of the 4034N, which is sold here in the NL has what I think is a terrible bug.

If you enable unlocking in the development options, go to the fastboot, all it takes is to unlock the flash and your phone will get stuck in the boot animation.

I tried to recover by formatting /data (/data is destroyed as could be expected to protect the userdata), but it does not solve the problem.

Flashing a custom ROM like CM13 solves this problem, but I bet this is the reason why I see so many calls on the Internet for Stock ROMs for the 4034N. Have not found a good stock ROM for it and also Alcatels Mobile Upgrade site does not seems to support the 4034N (probably still one software version for it, so no upgrade required yet?).

So better know what you are doing when messing with this phone.

Anybody got the same experience (I can confirm that this was tested by me and my friends with three different Pixi 4's)...

Best regards,

Peter
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palbeda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift palbeda Ad-Free
17th September 2016, 02:47 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Good news!
I found out that there is a global site from Alcatel where you can find an update of Alcatels Mobile_Upgrade_S_4.5.9 which DOES support the 4043N.

The good news is not only that this software can bring your phone back to stock ROM, but also that if your Flash is unlocked before you recover, it is still unlocked after the recovery. So rooting is very simple then. Cost me 2 minutes to do it:
adb boot recovery.img (you can boot the twrp bootimage from ADB, no need to flash it) and then directly install the superuser.zip

Presto!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palbeda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift palbeda Ad-Free
6th October 2016, 05:48 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I think I'm seeing the same problem with a 4034X (UK variant, as sold by Tesco Mobile). Unfortunately, the mobile update software isn't working for me as it's detecting that I've already got the latest version of the ROM installed already and won't let me install it again. AIUI, the CM13 system has a few issues, so I'd rather not go that root, so would still like a stock ROM if at all possible. Anyone have any pointers?
6th October 2016, 07:16 PM |#4  

More
Hmm. Have managed to get beyond the resetting user data boot loop with the following procedure:

* boot to recovery (power + vol up)
* from recovery menu, choose "boot to bootloader"
* at bootloader, connect via USB to PC
* run "fastboot -w"
* run "fastboot boot <filename for twrp recovery image>"
* at twrp recovery menu, run the standard "wipe" options
* reboot

Haven't yet finished booting, but it's gone to the standard boot animation, which I never succeeded in getting to before.

Update: 8 minutes and counting into the boot process. Doesn't look like it's going to work.
6th October 2016, 08:16 PM |#5  

More
One question worth asking: does this mean that *all* operations that cause a factory reset on an affected 4034 cause a boot loop? Or is it only unlocking the boot loader?
30th October 2016, 03:54 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I managed to soft brick my 4034X simply by allowing my email program to encrypt the device. The encryption apparently failed and now it's stuck on boot animation. As @jh3141 said, the Acatel upgrade tool doesn't work. I guess I need to find a stock ROM, but my Googling hasn't found one yet. Can anyone help?
30th November 2016, 10:09 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by palbeda

I found out that there is a global site from Alcatel where you can find an update of Alcatels Mobile_Upgrade_S_4.5.9 which DOES support the 4043N.

The good news is not only that this software can bring your phone back to stock ROM, but also that if your Flash is unlocked before you recover, it is still unlocked after the recovery. So rooting is very simple then. Cost me 2 minutes to do it:
adb boot recovery.img (you can boot the twrp bootimage from ADB, no need to flash it) and then directly install the superuser.zip

Presto!

Same here with a 4034D - got my phone back alive and still a unlocked bootloader. rooted it, works great.
Thanks!!
6th January 2017, 08:36 PM |#8  

More
i need help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampopo

Same here with a 4034D - got my phone back alive and still a unlocked bootloader. rooted it, works great.
Thanks!!

Can you brake this down for me? am kind of new to all this but i really need to root my device
31st March 2017, 04:35 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh3141

Hmm. Have managed to get beyond the resetting user data boot loop with the following procedure:

* boot to recovery (power + vol up)
* from recovery menu, choose "boot to bootloader"
* at bootloader, connect via USB to PC
* run "fastboot -w"
* run "fastboot boot <filename for twrp recovery image>"
* at twrp recovery menu, run the standard "wipe" options
* reboot

Haven't yet finished booting, but it's gone to the standard boot animation, which I never succeeded in getting to before.

Update: 8 minutes and counting into the boot process. Doesn't look like it's going to work.

Any luck with the UK version 4034X?
I'm stuck in the booting process just like you were.
15th April 2017, 09:04 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
me too - Pixi 4(4) chaos on unlocking.
Absolutely the same experience here.
I have nuked 2 of these trying to unlock. It is a brilliant phone, but this is a painful feature - as you describe.
My history is in one of the threads on this site. - I agree, I would love a stock ROM for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palbeda

Hi all,

I thought it be good to warn all Alcatel Pixi 4 (4) owners. The current version of the stock rom of the 4034N, which is sold here in the NL has what I think is a terrible bug.

If you enable unlocking in the development options, go to the fastboot, all it takes is to unlock the flash and your phone will get stuck in the boot animation.

I tried to recover by formatting /data (/data is destroyed as could be expected to protect the userdata), but it does not solve the problem.

Flashing a custom ROM like CM13 solves this problem, but I bet this is the reason why I see so many calls on the Internet for Stock ROMs for the 4034N. Have not found a good stock ROM for it and also Alcatels Mobile Upgrade site does not seems to support the 4034N (probably still one software version for it, so no upgrade required yet?).

So better know what you are doing when messing with this phone.

Anybody got the same experience (I can confirm that this was tested by me and my friends with three different Pixi 4's)...

Best regards,

Peter

26th April 2017, 06:06 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
I also softbricked my 4034X after unlocking the bootloader and couldn't get the phone to boot into recovery or the bootloader. I eventually managed to flash a stock ROM with SP Flashtool as described here https://www.getdroidtips.com/install...atel-pixi-4-4/ - this restored the ability to boot into recovery or bootloader but the ROM wouldn't boot so I couldn't enable developer settings to allow OEM unlocking. I then tried flashing the ROM for the dual-SIM version of the 4034X (risky!) and this booted and I was able to unlock the bootloader and flash TWRP recovery. The next problem was when & flashed CM13 and got an error message saying that TWRP couldn't access /data. It then got stuck in a recovery bootloop. Next I used TWRP to format all the partitions but it still couldn't access /data and broke the ability of the Mobile Upgrade Tool to read the phone. My next step is to try flashing a different custom recovery but I'm rapidly losing the will to live and would be very interested in any suggestions.

UPDATE - got it sorted by re-flashing the dual-SIM 4034X ROM (even though I have the single SIM version!), flashing ctr-6.6-4034 recovery, doing a normal wipe then formatting the /data partition then flashed CM13. I guess the data partition must have got corrupted.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)