ZTE Grand X 4 - Rooting Progress

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By scitrice, Junior Member on 28th January 2017, 06:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st April 2017, 08:39 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Don't know if this will help but​, I found that they lock the bootloader under the developer settings!
28th April 2017, 10:06 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Has anyone tried a one click root application like KingoRoot ?
Or is this more for doing it on your own without a service like that?
28th April 2017, 10:27 PM |#13  
OP Junior Member

More
Previously I had tried a series of one click solutions but I haven't found any that support this device yet. Typically they use the same exploits we've tried to use the hard way

After slacking for awhile I was finally able to poke around some of the internals of the phone in FTM mode using qualcomm developer tools. Lots of nifty things in the embedded file system and plenty of opportunities to flash new boot loaders and roms to the device for those of you who have a locked bootloader, but unfortunately I haven't been able to extract a copy of the stock rom or bootloaders. I'm still lacking the information I need to compile a new one for the phone.

Where I stand:
Can create a root shell, cannot remount system as read/write for permanent root in stock rom.
Can install new boot loader, no twrp or other found for this hardware.
Can compile new twrp, no boardconfig files (handy to avoid bricking your phone)
Can explore EFS and access chip via FTM, not sure how or if possible to download current rom / bootloader from here.

Happy for any tips on what to try next!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scitrice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scitrice Ad-Free
1st May 2017, 06:16 AM |#14  
Flag Portland
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Can you tell me which tools you used? I looked at the Qualcomm site and there are plenty to choose from.
5th May 2017, 12:04 AM |#15  
OP Junior Member

More
If you can get those tools off of the site maybe I'll message you about grabbing a few items on my Christmas list! QPST includes the tools necessary, and the tools to backup the 425 should you accidentally brick your phone (basically impossible to truly brick a qualcomm if you have the right tools). Archive.org has a copy, don't remember where to find the driver pack but you'll need that too (and a windows build).

Read through some notes on marshmellow and sounds like you have to remount system from recovery. I'm camping for the next month but will try talking to the TWRP team about porting a bootloader to the phone when I get back.

Let me know if you make any headway!
23rd May 2017, 02:14 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
try this adb command and see if you get a qualcomm serial port after reboot
Code:
adb reboot edl
if that doesnt work try
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
then run the attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip Fastboot_edl-v2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (217.2 KB, 230 views)
31st May 2017, 06:39 AM |#17  
Flag Vancouver, BC
Thanks Meter: 426

Donate to Me
More
How did you get into diag mode? Just do the temp root method and setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb?
4th June 2017, 08:01 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
https://freeandroidroot.com/root-zte-grand-x-4/

This page claims to have a root method but does it actually work? I've tried twice with no success.
6th June 2017, 12:31 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
How's everyone here? I also am awaiting root for this device. It really needs some shine on it's mid levelness. So here is my friend's​ zte warp 7 work for root. He also got some killer roms for the Huawei ascend XT. He does great work. I'm sure if he had a grand x 4 he could move this along. Just a suggestion. This man can this done. Just a suggestion for all of us. https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=246

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

https://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=7934375
8th June 2017, 02:30 AM |#20  
Flag sioux falls SD
Thanks Meter: 1,940

Donate to Me
More
Anyone root this phone yet?

Sent from my Z956 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
13th June 2017, 07:05 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitrice

Previously I had tried a series of one click solutions but I haven't found any that support this device yet. Typically they use the same exploits we've tried to use the hard way

After slacking for awhile I was finally able to poke around some of the internals of the phone in FTM mode using qualcomm developer tools. Lots of nifty things in the embedded file system and plenty of opportunities to flash new boot loaders and roms to the device for those of you who have a locked bootloader, but unfortunately I haven't been able to extract a copy of the stock rom or bootloaders. I'm still lacking the information I need to compile a new one for the phone.

Where I stand:
Can create a root shell, cannot remount system as read/write for permanent root in stock rom.
Can install new boot loader, no twrp or other found for this hardware.
Can compile new twrp, no boardconfig files (handy to avoid bricking your phone)
Can explore EFS and access chip via FTM, not sure how or if possible to download current rom / bootloader from here.

Happy for any tips on what to try next!

Message madvane he could help
The Following User Says Thank You to paindaddi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift paindaddi Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
zte-grand-x4

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)