FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Access User Data in Recovery Backup

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By Martin_2, Junior Member on 29th September 2019, 07:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I have a Wiko Lenny 3 phone and need to recover the pictures. The unlock code is lost, the touchscreen doesn't work anymore. My ideas so far:

1. I used the "Backup user data" feature of the stock recovery to a SD card.
Since I cannot upload an image until I have 10 posts, the recovery is like

"
Android Recovery
alps/full_v3702/v3702
6.0/MRA58K/1453981211
user/release-keys
Volume down to move highlight;
enter Volume up key to select.
----------------------------------------
Reboot system now
Reboot to bootloader
Apply update from ADB
Apply update from SD card
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Backup user data ---> this is what I used
Restore user data
Root integrity check
Mount /system
View recovery logs
Power off
----------------------------------------


SD card free space: 29564MB
User data allocated: 11893MB
backup file: userdata_20190929_172118.backup
Backup user data complete.
"

But how to access the data? Tutorials which I found didn't help (merging the files in Linux, remove 512 Bytes and rename to zip to be able to extract "some" data: it isn't recognized as zip file). Is it possible to restore this user data to a virtual device somehow to access the data?

2. Removing the code: Following a German instruction (I'm not allowed to link it, sorry).
ADB doesn't recognize the device. Probably because USB debugging is turned off and I cannot turn it on without unlocking the device.

I don't do this very often, so my knowledge about ADB and Android is limited.
Does someone have a helping hint? Thank you in advance!

Regards
Martin
29th September 2019, 07:05 PM |#2  
PoochyX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 347
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_2

Hi,



I have a Wiko Lenny 3 phone and need to recover the pictures. The unlock code is lost, the touchscreen doesn't work anymore. My ideas so far:



1. I used the "Backup user data" feature of the stock recovery to a SD card.

Since I cannot upload an image until I have 10 posts, the recovery is like



"

Android Recovery

alps/full_v3702/v3702

6.0/MRA58K/1453981211

user/release-keys

Volume down to move highlight;

enter Volume up key to select.

----------------------------------------

Reboot system now

Reboot to bootloader

Apply update from ADB

Apply update from SD card

Wipe data/factory reset

Wipe cache partition

Backup user data ---> this is what I used

Restore user data

Root integrity check

Mount /system

View recovery logs

Power off

----------------------------------------





SD card free space: 29564MB

User data allocated: 11893MB

backup file: userdata_20190929_172118.backup

Backup user data complete.

"



But how to access the data? Tutorials which I found didn't help (merging the files in Linux, remove 512 Bytes and rename to zip to be able to extract "some" data: it isn't recognized as zip file). Is it possible to restore this user data to a virtual device somehow to access the data?



2. Removing the code: Following a German instruction (I'm not allowed to link it, sorry).

ADB doesn't recognize the device. Probably because USB debugging is turned off and I cannot turn it on without unlocking the device.



I don't do this very often, so my knowledge about ADB and Android is limited.

Does someone have a helping hint? Thank you in advance!



Regards

Martin

Martín only way you could access them pictures is if you had twrp

(09-09-18)
30th September 2019, 09:09 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks. Is it possible to flash TWRP without losing data and without access via ADB?
30th September 2019, 10:29 PM |#4  
PoochyX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 347
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_2

Thanks. Is it possible to flash TWRP without losing data and without access via ADB?

If your phone has twrp available and it's a Samsung you can flash it and you won't be able to do a twrp backup without formatting data to have data partition mountable in twrp to flash decrypt zip to do a backup however you don't need to format to be able to mount system partition once system is mounted you can use the twrp file explorer to delete files to delete your screen lock so you can enter the phone

(09-09-18)
1st October 2019, 08:01 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoochyX

If your phone has twrp available and it's a Samsung you can flash it and you won't be able to do a twrp backup without formatting data to have data partition mountable in twrp to flash decrypt zip to do a backup however you don't need to format to be able to mount system partition once system is mounted you can use the twrp file explorer to delete files to delete your screen lock so you can enter the phone

(09-09-18)

It's a Wiko Lenny 3, no Samsung. Sorry, I don't get it without punctuation.
Do I get it right, that
- If TWRP is available for my phone I can flash it, but I need to format all my data (no option)
- I can flash a "decrypt zip" to do a backup (what is it, where do I get it?)
- I can mount the system partition and can use the TWRP file explorer to delete files (how can I mount it?)
Thanks.
10th October 2019, 10:52 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Problem solved, I could access all the data in the backup from the stock recovery!
This is how it worked:
In short: Make a backup of all user files in the stock recovery to a MicroSD card, put it to a Linux desktop, merge the backup files by skipping the first 512 bytes of each file, copy the merged file to Windows, extract it with 7zip.

In long:
1. I put an empty 32GB FAT32 formatted MicroSD card in the MicroSD slot of the Wiko Lenny 3
2. I used "Backup user data" from the Stock Recovery (see my first post). It took a few minutes until ~12GB of user data were written to the card. The stock recovery told me when it was done.
3. I copied all files (6 files, userdata_20190929_172118.backup to userdata_20190929_172118.backup5) to a Linux environment (Linux Mint 19.2)
4. The rest is explained in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY4cKKimEFU. If it is offline, I will explain here.
Do not use something like "cat userdata_yyyymmdd_HHMMSS.backup* > userdata_yyyymmdd_HHMMSS.backup" to merge all files into one because it will add the unnessesary 512 bytes header of all .backup files to the merged file. Instead copy all content except the first 512 bytes to another file and append the content from the other files to it, also by skipping the first 512 bytes.
5. This command will copy the content of the first file "userdata_20190929_172118.backup" to a new file "img.ext4":
Code:
dd if=userdata_20190929_172118.backup skip=512 bs=128k iflag=nocache,skip_bytes oflag=nocache,append conv=notrunc of=img.ext4
6. Repeat using the same command to append the content of all other files to the file "img.ext4" by skipping the first 512 bytes. Be sure to increase the number of the source file extention in the command. Next one therefore is:
Code:
dd if=userdata_20190929_172118.backup1 skip=512 bs=128k iflag=nocache,skip_bytes oflag=nocache,append conv=notrunc of=img.ext4
7. Repeat with all files
8. Copy the file "img.ext4" to a NTFS formatted USB stick or an external hard drive and go on with a Windows environment. The reason is that Linux will prevent opening some important folders
9. Install 7zip
10. Extract the file "img.ext4" with 7zip. If you are searching for pictures, you will find them in the subfolder "\media\0\DCIM\Camera"
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes