FORUMS

Asus MeMO Pad 8 (ME181C): Recovery Guide

21 posts
Thanks Meter: 51

By RemmyLee, Junior Member on 18th January 2015, 06:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
ASUS MeMO Pad 8 (K011) ME181C Recovery Guide

The following is a list of what we can currently do with this tablet. It assumes firmware versions with the WW prefix (WW-3.1.23.1xx)

Root Status: Obtained
Bootloader: Locked
CWM Recovery Possible: Yes (Tethered)
Custom ROMS: None

The following information is for recovering your tablet and obtaining root only. The bootloader is locked on the device at this time.

Tethered CWM recovery
This is a temporary solution to unsigned loading. The bootloader on the device is currently locked, so after rebooting, it will revert back to standard recovery. Use this to restore to a stock firmware or to install SuperSU.
  1. Download the official firmware and extract it.
  2. Rename UL-K011-WW-3.1.23.172-user.zip to user.zip.
  3. Copy user.zip to the root of your SD card.
  4. Enable USB debugging on your tablet.
  5. Run Launcher.bat.
  6. Type ACCEPT.
  7. Choose option T3.
  8. This will reboot in to the Tethered Recovery.
  9. Choose Install Zip from external SD card.
  10. Choose user.zip
  11. Reboot once finished.

Bootable Image for Recovery
This file is to be used if your system will not get past the Asus or Intel logo. Boot the system using Volume Up and Power. Once the logo appears, let go of power. Once in DroidBoot, use fast boot to flash the boot and system images. This is provided in case signature verification fails on the official images.

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img

This file also contains adb and fastboot. If your tablet is not detected, try the Asus drivers.
Reboot the system and use the CWM tethered recovery to reinstall the official firmware.

OTA Updates
If you’ve recovered from the official firmware on the Asus site, you’re probably sitting at version WW-3.1.23.172. Here are the OTA updates to bring your system up to the current version of WW-3.1.23.189. There are two different OTA updates available here, so the process will need to be completed twice. Update 172 to 183 and Update 183 to 189.
  1. Boot in to recovery, press the volume keys several times and install from ADB.
  2. Extract the RAR file and rename the files update.zip.
  3. On your PC, open a command prompt and change to the directory containing the update file
  4. Assuming ADB is installed on the system, type: adb sideload update.zip
  5. Once the process completes, reboot your system and update apps as needed.
  6. Repeat this process for any additional update files.

Recovery image
This is the default recovery for the tablet. If you get adventurous and try to flash another one, this may come in handy.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to RemmyLee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RemmyLee Ad-Free
20th January 2015, 07:01 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Question can you explain
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemmyLee

All thanks to vampirefo for his work on this.

FB Tethered Recovery Launcher

Kind of curious if this method will work with the other versions of the tablet to allow SuperSU to be installed. Anyone want to try it?

Long story short, I screwed this thing messing with the framework. For some reason, the official firmware from the Asus site was failing signature verification when trying to reinstall. Someone managed to grab a stripped system image that at least gave me a launcher and USB debugging. This beauty allowed me to get the firmware installed and everything back to normal, as well as installing SuperSU.

If you have any trouble getting the tablet to show up in Windows, the Asus distributed drivers work like a charm.

can you explain in lamens terms or retard terms what this means you found? so me and others
as well can understand ? Please and thank you i have a ASUS MEMO Pad 8 Me181c Rooted With Frame1.4apk it took me to demo and i turned it off and rebooted and now it just goes to The ASUS Logo and then Intel Logo and Stops . If i could find a way to install CWM on this maybe i could get somewhere but all i see is people talking about it but no video tutorials , or walkthroughs
Any Help Would be greatly appreciated
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadow2483 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shadow2483 Ad-Free
22nd January 2015, 06:19 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
1. https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2b47381cb37c/ADB.rar - This contains adb and fastboot if you don't already have them installed. This also contains the system image that we're going to use temporarily to get this thing restored.

2. Hook it up to your computer and load up Fastboot on the tablet (Volume+ and Power while booting. Let go of power after the logo shows up).

3. Flash the System image ( fastboot flash system system.img) followed by the boot image (fastboot flash boot boot.img)

4. Reboot.

5. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95857557620392052 - Next, we're going to use a temp version of CWM-Recovery to reinstall firmware. Enable USB debugging, run launcher.bat, type "ACCEPT" and choose T3.

6. You'll auto reboot into CWM-Recovery. Grab the official firmware from the Asus site and install the zip from SD. Once complete, you'll need to reroot the device most likely. If you have a SuperSU zip, install it after you've restored the system.

You're done. This also opens us up for just about anything. Go play with your system. As long as you don't mess up your boot loader, this should save you.

Sent from my K011 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RemmyLee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RemmyLee Ad-Free
22nd January 2015, 09:58 AM |#4  
Flag Trusetal
Thanks Meter: 67

Donate to Me
More
Asus MeMo Pad 8 - Pro 7 Entertainment Pad
Hey guys,

I have a Asus MeMo Pad 8 - Pro 7 Entertainment Pad. Now the model is K011 and the firmware starts with LVL bla bla bla.
Technically it is the same as the 181C and I also have managed to achieve root. Any ide if I could get the WW firmware and rom working on this?
22nd January 2015, 03:51 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
UPDATE:
Using this method gives you version 172 of the firmware. Current version is 189. So here are the OTA updates.

To use these files, Start up the system in Droidboot, Volume+ and Power, go to recovery. You'll be sitting a broken android robot screen. Press the volume keys several times. It's give you some options. We're going to install from adb.
Unrar the update file provided, rename the file to update.zip and sideload it to the tablet. Once it finishes, reboot and wait for the system to update. Rinse, lather, repeat for 183 to 189.

Files:
OTA update 172 to 183
OTA update 183 to 189

Note: This is only if the OTA updates aren't pushing to your device. If you've got them, you can skip this.

fulishone: If the intel tether works for you, you could always try it, but I have no idea if it would work or not. If you have your system backed up, you could always give it a go and restore if it fails.

I'll try to compile everything in to a more readable format later. I just want to get the info up right now. A lot of people were semi bricked either because of a root gone bad or file system problems.
22nd January 2015, 11:43 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow2483

can you explain in lamens terms or retard terms what this means you found? so me and others
as well can understand ? Please and thank you i have a ASUS MEMO Pad 8 Me181c Rooted With Frame1.4apk it took me to demo and i turned it off and rebooted and now it just goes to The ASUS Logo and then Intel Logo and Stops . If i could find a way to install CWM on this maybe i could get somewhere but all i see is people talking about it but no video tutorials , or walkthroughs
Any Help Would be greatly appreciated

If you need any more help than whats above, let me know.
23rd January 2015, 03:55 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulishone

Hey guys,

I have a Asus MeMo Pad 8 - Pro 7 Entertainment Pad. Now the model is K011 and the firmware starts with LVL bla bla bla.
Technically it is the same as the 181C and I also have managed to achieve root. Any ide if I could get the WW firmware and rom working on this?

To answer your question, yes. This will work. We have the same firmware for our devices.

http://www.asus.com/my/Tablets/ASUS_...Desk_Download/
23rd January 2015, 08:58 AM |#8  
Flag Trusetal
Thanks Meter: 67

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemmyLee

To answer your question, yes. This will work. We have the same firmware for our devices.

http://www.asus.com/my/Tablets/ASUS_...Desk_Download/

Ok, I am not new to flashing and custom roms and so on, but follwing your guide above, I should first flash .172 and then use your update files for .183 and the .189?

What do you mean with Intel thether?

Best regards
23rd January 2015, 02:58 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulishone

Ok, I am not new to flashing and custom roms and so on, but follwing your guide above, I should first flash .172 and then use your update files for .183 and the .189?

What do you mean with Intel thether?

Best regards

Yep. That'll get you updated to the current firmware. I contacted ASUS yesterday and sadly, there are no plans on bringing Lollipop to this thing, nor are they interested in giving us an unlocked bootloader.
As for the Intel Tether, where the bootloader is locked, we can use a tethering method to access CWM recovery, but once we reboot, it reverts back to the standard recovery. This prevents us from using custom roms at this time. When it reboots, it checks signatures. The official firmware was not installing using the standard methods, so I used CWM to reinstall. That's why I included it above.
23rd January 2015, 10:35 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
BBY builds
My guess is that this won't work with the BBY build. From what I understand no one has rooted an ME181C that has a BBY build. I also have not been able to connect the device to my PC. From reading this thread though it appears that to connect through the device drivers I need to boot into one of the recovery mode. Is that correct? I can see my sd cards okay when connected, but can't see the device through ABD.
23rd January 2015, 10:44 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by et1ssgmiller

My guess is that this won't work with the BBY build. From what I understand no one has rooted an ME181C that has a BBY build. I also have not been able to connect the device to my PC. From reading this thread though it appears that to connect through the device drivers I need to boot into one of the recovery mode. Is that correct? I can see my sd cards okay when connected, but can't see the device through ABD.

I'm curious to know if the tethered method would allow a temporary CWM session to install SuperSU on the BBY line. I haven't seen anyone try it yet. If USB debugging is enabled, the tethered restore should try to automagically do everything for you. If you boot in to recovery, can you do a fastboot devices?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)