FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Asus ZenFone V V520KL Bootloader Unlock, TWRP Recovery & Custom ROM/Root Help!

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Doctor Andrew, Junior Member on 19th January 2019, 11:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th February 2019, 08:38 AM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
I've absolutely no interest in the ENG firmware. Still looking for a solution to the original post that people can understand and use easily.

19th February 2019, 01:00 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Andrew

I've absolutely no interest in the ENG firmware. Still looking for a solution to the original post that people can understand and use easily.

Well, ENG is the only way i could figure it out but I finally manged to get root on the phone with magisk. Still have some work to do to get play store and everything else running properly, but for now, hardest part is done.
26th February 2019, 09:05 PM |#13  

More
oh my god - rooooot
Quote:
Originally Posted by faericia

Well, ENG is the only way i could figure it out but I finally manged to get root on the phone with magisk. Still have some work to do to get play store and everything else running properly, but for now, hardest part is done.

Good time of day, Faericia, this is just great news. You can share the experience of getting root with magisk?

Regarding Google Play and all that, where you need Google, using a bunch of microG and Aurora store.
MicroG is the core of Google services, which allows you to pass authorization through Google, synchronize and do it all without any garbage code, according to my observations, the expense is not much spent.
Aurora shop, as an analogue of Google Play, the application, the ability to save apk.
Due to the lack of binding to your Google account.
I think this connection may be relevant and rooted.

The initial partition should appear as root, it intends to resolve all the problems that I have in my phone. for asus applications, after I have done my best, several attempts have already been made.
It was possible to look in read mode using root explorer.
Perhaps you can somehow remove the protection of verizon on the bootloader.

PS the most hardcore variation of raw firmware, a hex editor, search in that between code, boot, recovery, system, etc. Very large empty spaces. previously there were 100 miles earlier.
I think this is part of verizon jokes.
This article should be cut and placed in img.

Thanks so much in advance.
27th February 2019, 08:56 PM |#14  

More
hello when you finish you could share through a tutorial what you did I have my asus v with verizon rom and only data but if I can make it functional with the rom eng then better
1st March 2019, 04:45 AM |#15  

More
Okay, Here are the steps. Before anything else though, I should warn you that I have not been able to get safetynet to pass. So if you have apps that require safetynet to pass, this may not be the way to go.

First you will need the ENG firmware:
https://mega.nz/#!l7wBlQ4B!uB63yH5Ri...6SJ-q1WuuGiqM/
Also Asus Flash tools v 1.0.0.72:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11rc...EIWOtzKE9/view

I am assuming you know adb and such. If not, search the forums and get the adb tools.
Using adb, Reboot to bootloader. ( adb reboot bootloader )
Load the .raw file in the asus flash tool, select v520KL and flash.
Once flash is done, unlock bootloader by going into bootloader (adb reboot bootloader) then type (fastboot oem unlock.)

Here is the patched_boot.img I used if you want to just try to flash that and see if it will work. This is for the eng firmware.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fUx...ew?usp=sharing
Go into bootloader and flash. (fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img)
Install magisk manager and test it out.

If you wish to patch the img yourself, the steps are below (still working on it):
So now we have the phone unlocked, and the software is very basic. We also need the boot.img file to patch since we do not have TWRP. Since I couldn't get it from the raw file (the extracted file is invalid with a size of 0 bytes) I decided to extract it from the phone. But to extract from the phone we need root. So for this next step, temporary root will have to do.

You can get temp root by using KingoRoot. Use the PC version and you will get root. This is just so we can extract the files from the phone itself.
I need to find the steps for the next steps again, but the basics is, extract boot.img from the phone. Patch it using magisk manager and then flash the patched_boot.img in bootloader mode. I had google play working(chinese version) but once i removed kingoroot it kept crashing. I currently have magisk and it gives me the root permissions but safetynet fails. I will retry this tomorrow and see if I can fix the safetynet issue and update this post with the steps.

Also I seem to have borken recovery mode on my phone. That may be because I tried flashing bunch of other stuff before I managed to root it so I do not know if it will be the same situation to you or not. I believe after I flashed ENG firmware, i had access to recovery mode at one point, but I may have just messed it up. Either way, Expect updates in the near future.
1st March 2019, 03:25 PM |#16  

More
asus recovery
A huge over many thanks.

I also tried to get a temporary root, via the kingoroot pc version, it did not work, I suspect it because I installed eng, but did not oem unloock, when I did unlock, I somehow managed to get the boot out of the firmware, the user from 4pda was patched, but said that this boot is from 8 android, I thought that I had schizophrenia because later on trying to get boot I also got 0mb, this was due to the unexpected end of the archive.
In general, by flashing this boot, I also found a recovery mode and even a recovery mode, but going into recovery a message from Verizon was displayed, standard, when you roll the eng firmware for 5 seconds, hold something, etc. Well, you understand. And the whole laugh is that it was in a circle.
I suspect that asus had any plans for this device or for this amount of components. In other words, it was some kind of blank that was abandoned, maybe asus thought that this exclusive for verizon will make a trap, and then they say on the basis of v520kl we will make a non-exclusive open device, but alas, a huge member between two rolls.
Therefore, fortunately or unfortunately, recovery was not broken by you, most likely it was not working initially, but this is only a guess.
1st March 2019, 09:47 PM |#17  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.Sim

A huge over many thanks.

I also tried to get a temporary root, via the kingoroot pc version, it did not work, I suspect it because I installed eng, but did not oem unloock, when I did unlock, I somehow managed to get the boot out of the firmware, the user from 4pda was patched, but said that this boot is from 8 android, I thought that I had schizophrenia because later on trying to get boot I also got 0mb, this was due to the unexpected end of the archive.
In general, by flashing this boot, I also found a recovery mode and even a recovery mode, but going into recovery a message from Verizon was displayed, standard, when you roll the eng firmware for 5 seconds, hold something, etc. Well, you understand. And the whole laugh is that it was in a circle.
I suspect that asus had any plans for this device or for this amount of components. In other words, it was some kind of blank that was abandoned, maybe asus thought that this exclusive for verizon will make a trap, and then they say on the basis of v520kl we will make a non-exclusive open device, but alas, a huge member between two rolls.
Therefore, fortunately or unfortunately, recovery was not broken by you, most likely it was not working initially, but this is only a guess.

I know recovery mode was working with VZW firmware. I know this because I tried installing using adb sideload several times. I might be mistaken on getting there once i flashed eng firmware but again, it has been a month or two since I tried it and all I know is, it won't go into the recovery screen now. Oh well, not my main phone so irrelevant.
2nd March 2019, 04:23 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I have installed patched boot img with fastboot. Now have root. But there a lot of apps not working. No Google apps at all. And no way to install them.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Have installed patched boot img by faericia. Now I got root. But eng version doesn't have Google apps, so no play store, no Google pay, no accounts, no Gmail. And I don't know how to install it.
2nd March 2019, 08:25 PM |#19  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by game #1

I have installed patched boot img with fastboot. Now have root. But there a lot of apps not working. No Google apps at all. And no way to install them.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Have installed patched boot img by faericia. Now I got root. But eng version doesn't have Google apps, so no play store, no Google pay, no accounts, no Gmail. And I don't know how to install it.

The only time I had Google apps was when I had kingoroot root still int he system. I then downloaded the Chinese google apps installer and used that to get it. Once i removed kingoroot google framwork kept crashing making it unusable.. If you don't need to pass safetynet, that might be the way. Othewise, I am still trying to work on it.
3rd March 2019, 05:17 AM |#20  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by faericia

The only time I had Google apps was when I had kingoroot root still int he system. I then downloaded the Chinese google apps installer and used that to get it. Once i removed kingoroot google framwork kept crashing making it unusable.. If you don't need to pass safetynet, that might be the way. Othewise, I am still trying to work on it.

I found out how to stop frameworks from crashing. Just make it a system app. I use link2sd for this.
Now all gapps work nice.
3rd March 2019, 08:53 AM |#21  

More
Now I need original boot.img , want to flash it and get safety net back.
Is there anyone who has original Verizon firmware?
Damn, Unfortunately, camera stopped working.
Wtf!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)