FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Asus ZenFone V V520KL Bootloader Unlock, TWRP Recovery & Custom ROM/Root Help!

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Doctor Andrew, Junior Member on 19th January 2019, 11:24 PM
View First Unread Post Reply Email Thread
3rd March 2019, 08:53 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Now I need original boot.img , want to flash it and get safety net back.
Is there anyone who has original Verizon firmware?
Damn, Unfortunately, camera stopped working.
Wtf!

3rd March 2019, 09:57 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by game #1

I found out how to stop frameworks from crashing. Just make it a system app. I use link2sd for this.
Now all gapps work nice.

Do you have the link for the one you used? The ones I install either don't work or won't add my account for whatever reason.
3rd March 2019, 10:05 AM |#23  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by faericia

Do you have the link for the one you used? The ones I install either don't work or won't add my account for whatever reason.

I used Google apps installer. After that I make all installed apps as a system apps.
But you should install frameworks at last, because of annoying crashes every second.
After that run play store as usual and it will update all necessary apps.
4th March 2019, 07:58 AM |#24  

More
Can anyone extract bluetooth.apk from /system/priv-app/Bluetooth folder?
I had a problem with connecting Bluetooth speaker, it gives me error crashing.
Thanks.
4th March 2019, 09:36 AM |#25  

More
Quote:

Can anyone extract bluetooth.apk from /system/priv-app/Bluetooth folder?
I had a problem with connecting Bluetooth speaker, it gives me error crashing.
Thanks.

I found the original vzw firmware. i will try to upload it. Soon hopefully.

I managed to brick my device so unless I get lucky, guess I'm done with this phone.
4th March 2019, 11:10 AM |#26  

More
Quote:

I found the original vzw firmware. i will try to upload it. Soon hopefully.

I managed to brick my device so unless I get lucky, guess I'm done with this phone.

Great, waiting for the firmware.
No great, that you bricked your v520kl.
Have you tried "fastboot flash all firmware.raw"?
4th March 2019, 03:43 PM |#27  

More
Quote:

Great, waiting for the firmware.
No great, that you bricked your v520kl.
Have you tried "fastboot flash all firmware.raw"?

Its a hard brick so no fastboot or recovery or anything. Need to figure out how to flash qualcomm to get it working i think.

Anyways, here is the firmware:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ICT...ew?usp=sharing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faericia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift faericia Ad-Free
4th March 2019, 04:37 PM |#28  

More
Quote:

Its a hard brick so no fastboot or recovery or anything. Need to figure out how to flash qualcomm to get it working i think.

Anyways, here is the firmware:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ICT...ew?usp=sharing

Downloaded the firmware, I will try to install it later.
About bricked decide, I read that you need special data cable, which flash Qualcomm devices.
Edit. Not a cable, need to enter to download mode. And then use emmc raw tool.
4th March 2019, 05:34 PM |#29  

More
Quote:

Downloaded the firmware, I will try to install it later.
About bricked decide, I read that you need special data cable, which flash Qualcomm devices.
Edit. Not a cable, need to enter to download mode. And then use emmc raw tool.

Yes, the phone automatically goes into that mode so it's fine. Just need to find out what and how to flash which seemed complicated when I tried it before.
4th March 2019, 10:13 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
thanks
Quote:

Okay, Here are the steps. Before anything else though, I should warn you that I have not been able to get safetynet to pass. So if you have apps that require safetynet to pass, this may not be the way to go.

First you will need the ENG firmware:

Also Asus Flash tools v 1.0.0.72:

I am assuming you know adb and such. If not, search the forums and get the adb tools.
Using adb, Reboot to bootloader. ( adb reboot bootloader )
Load the .raw file in the asus flash tool, select v520KL and flash.
Once flash is done, unlock bootloader by going into bootloader (adb reboot bootloader) then type (fastboot oem unlock.)

Here is the patched_boot.img I used if you want to just try to flash that and see if it will work. This is for the eng firmware.

Go into bootloader and flash. (fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img)
Install magisk manager and test it out.

If you wish to patch the img yourself, the steps are below (still working on it):
So now we have the phone unlocked, and the software is very basic. We also need the boot.img file to patch since we do not have TWRP. Since I couldn't get it from the raw file (the extracted file is invalid with a size of 0 bytes) I decided to extract it from the phone. But to extract from the phone we need root. So for this next step, temporary root will have to do.

You can get temp root by using KingoRoot. Use the PC version and you will get root. This is just so we can extract the files from the phone itself.
I need to find the steps for the next steps again, but the basics is, extract boot.img from the phone. Patch it using magisk manager and then flash the patched_boot.img in bootloader mode. I had google play working(chinese version) but once i removed kingoroot it kept crashing. I currently have magisk and it gives me the root permissions but safetynet fails. I will retry this tomorrow and see if I can fix the safetynet issue and update this post with the steps.

Also I seem to have borken recovery mode on my phone. That may be because I tried flashing bunch of other stuff before I managed to root it so I do not know if it will be the same situation to you or not. I believe after I flashed ENG firmware, i had access to recovery mode at one point, but I may have just messed it up. Either way, Expect updates in the near future.

I managed to download the software version

but as indicated, I lost the playstore, the camera notifications bar among others.

I managed to activate the wifi, but without the above. at the moment I prefer the official verizon version.
4th March 2019, 11:35 PM |#31  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardy

I managed to download the software version

but as indicated, I lost the playstore, the camera notifications bar among others.

I managed to activate the wifi, but without the above. at the moment I prefer the official verizon version.

If you root it, you will get the notification bar and use google apps installer. (Just allow it to update. after you set it up as system apps) But anything using safetynet will fail in the ENG version.

Also if anyone is going back to stock, make sure to lock bootloader before flasing vzw version. The phone will not boot if bootloader is not locked and the phone does not recognize the command to lock it after you flash.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)