FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

I May Have Bricked My Phone Trying to Root It!

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By tryingToSurvive, Junior Member on 7th October 2019, 10:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey all,

I've never rooted a phone before so since I have a spare model, I figured I'd give it a go.

Hearing about this forum, I checked it out and was sent to the Sony site. I understand I needed to unlock the bootloader first, which I did and can confirm I get that alert as my phone starts about it not being safe.

Hint for future readers: don't do this in a virtual environment, I had issues doing this until I used an actual computer and not a VM (mods and folks with more experience: feel free to correct me on this or shed some light). To be clear, I have a separate host running Proxmox (Type I hypervisor) and was able to forward my USB connection to test with ADB and such. I do most things in a virtual environment to not mess up my physical computer.

This was all done last week. Well today, Monday, I decided to continue with my rooting excursion, only to run into the issue I am currently facing.

After many, many Google attempts and following whatever links in this, I finally found this link. Well, I was within a VM, downloaded the linked flashing tool, and ran the first two commands:

- adb devices
- adb reboot bootloader

After doing this, my phone turned off and I wasn't sure what to expect, so I pressed the Power button to see what would happen - nothing. So then I remembered that Friday I was having issues communicating with my mobile phone in the VM to unlock the bootloader in the first place, so I figured I'd try to move it to my physical computer....then I was stuck on a reboot cycle!

To be clear, my issue is that I am stuck on a boot loop. It prompts the error of the device being unsafe, waits 5 seconds, then displays the Sony splash screen. Rinse, wash, repeat; same thing.

I have a Sony Xperia XA1 (G3123) model.
Can anyone shed some light?
Am I screwed?

Please halp!
7th October 2019, 11:24 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
I dug around a bit more, found this link but the issue is that I cannot boot into anything, at least not that I'm aware of.
9th October 2019, 02:25 AM |#3  
Flag Midland Tx
Thanks Meter: 153

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingToSurvive

I dug around a bit more, found this link but the issue is that I cannot boot into anything, at least not that I'm aware of.

have you tried installing a custom recovery?
this may help https://forum.xda-developers.com/xa1...urces-t3622886
9th October 2019, 07:59 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by keifus.rahn

have you tried installing a custom recovery?
this may help https://forum.xda-developers.com/xa1...urces-t3622886

Hey @keifus.rahn for following up.

I did find that thread after continued poking, which I am still checking now. And I eventually made a post on there just now discussing my current dilemma.

I downloaded the Flashtool but didn't understand how it worked, nor do I still yet. I tried debugging it and the issue is that the "java -version" call doesn't work within the directory's own structure. I do have java installed on my test Linux VM though.

Past that, I tried with the latest boot.img as well as the recovery.img that I found. I think that the build numbers are off, or maybe I am just not understanding where I am lacking.

You can look at the bottom of the last page for a breakdown of what I did:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/xa1...4#post80481385
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)