FORUMS

CAT B15Q firmware update bricked device

141 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By harddisk_wp, Senior Member on 25th December 2014, 03:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello all,

yesterday's OTA firmware update to my CAT B15Q (CPU MediaTek MT6582M) showed an error similar to "failed to update metadata symlink" and offered me to reboot... since then the device is stuck in a bootloop and only boots recovery and fastboot.

The recovery console doesn't offer any USB devices, except when choosing "apply update from ADB", upon which adb devices lists it as "0123456789ABCDEF sideload". adb shell however does not work, it gives an "error: closed" message.

Resetting to factory did not help either, current Android version of the device was 4.4.2.

By the looks, the failed update bricked the /system somehow; can I sideload a version of adb onto the recovery to gain shell access?

Thanks!
26th December 2014, 12:50 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harddisk_wp

Hello all,

yesterday's OTA firmware update to my CAT B15Q (CPU MediaTek MT6582M) showed an error similar to "failed to update metadata symlink" and offered me to reboot... since then the device is stuck in a bootloop and only boots recovery and fastboot.

The recovery console doesn't offer any USB devices, except when choosing "apply update from ADB", upon which adb devices lists it as "0123456789ABCDEF sideload". adb shell however does not work, it gives an "error: closed" message.

Resetting to factory did not help either, current Android version of the device was 4.4.2.

By the looks, the failed update bricked the /system somehow; can I sideload a version of adb onto the recovery to gain shell access?

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me!
Thank you in advance.
Please let me know if you found the solution.
26th December 2014, 09:46 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag munich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chegger

Same thing happened to me!
Thank you in advance.
Please let me know if you found the solution.

Not the solution, but maybe a cause... did you root your device?
26th December 2014, 01:55 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks!

Hey my little brother just had the same problem but I managed to get the fone to boot took the battery out held Down volume down and 3 mins later it booted
26th December 2014, 07:22 PM |#5  

More
Quote:

Not the solution, but maybe a cause... did you root your device?

Yes I did.
I also thought that was the problem.
26th December 2014, 11:02 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by delox88

Hey my little brother just had the same problem but I managed to get the fone to boot took the battery out held Down volume down and 3 mins later it booted

Can you elaborate?
Do you hold before and while turning on?
Did you hold with the battery Out with charger?
I tried to hold while booting but it just stays in the inicial image forever.
Thanks.
27th December 2014, 01:45 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag munich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chegger

Can you elaborate?
Do you hold before and while turning on?
Did you hold with the battery Out with charger?
I tried to hold while booting but it just stays in the inicial image forever.
Thanks.

Ha, same for me. Even adb comes halfway up (adb device shows up in windows' device manager, but "unauthorized", so no shell/pull/push), but it doesn't progress beyond the loading image.

Can anyone with a working B15Q please execute the command "cat /proc/mtd" in a shell or do a full(!) backup using mtkdroidtool?! I pledge €20 via Paypal to the first one who submits all of the partitions except /data up to Mega or another OCH.
27th December 2014, 09:17 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

Ha, same for me. Even adb comes halfway up (adb device shows up in windows' device manager, but "unauthorized", so no shell/pull/push), but it doesn't progress beyond the loading image.

Can anyone with a working B15Q please execute the command "cat /proc/mtd" in a shell or do a full(!) backup using mtkdroidtool?! I pledge €20 via Paypal to the first one who submits all of the partitions except /data up to Mega or another OCH.

At least you know this stuff that's half way trough.
I will post this in the original root thread since I already posted the issue there and they are now replying ( I will mention you).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gene...2822015/page11
29th December 2014, 03:36 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
My phone bricked after updating to 1.1019.000

I was lucky enough to save the whole ROM to a file before updating.
The problem for me was the original recovery.
My solution was to install the new 1.1019.000 recovery on my original ROM and then updated to the new (1.1019.000) firmware.
Give me your mail and i will send you the 1.1019.000 recovery. I have the whole ROM but it´s to large and i am to lazy to upload :P
The Following User Says Thank You to bigal1337 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bigal1337 Ad-Free
29th December 2014, 12:58 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal1337

My solution was to install the new 1.1019.000 recovery on my original ROM and then updated to the new (1.1019.000) firmware.
Give me your mail and i will send you the 1.1019.000 recovery. I have the whole ROM but it´s to large and i am to lazy to upload :P

I've the same problem - b15q is bricked - device was rooted to be able to use link2sd.
29th December 2014, 04:26 PM |#11  

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal1337

I've witten you a PM - please send me your original ROM - or could you send me a link where i may download it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, brick, cat-b15q

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)