FORUMS

[Q] Change a system setting missing from the UI directly?

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By James Bond 007, Junior Member on 3rd November 2014, 01:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a Lenovo S939 (Android 4.2.2, rooted) and the setting to change the default notification sound is missing. Is there a good app that can be used to browse all system settings and make changes directly (something like regedit in Windows)? Or can this setting be changed in the file system by editing some preferences file? If so, how can I find it?
3rd November 2014, 02:32 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 880

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007

I have a Lenovo S939 (Android 4.2.2, rooted) and the setting to change the default notification sound is missing. Is there a good app that can be used to browse all system settings and make changes directly (something like regedit in Windows)? Or can this setting be changed in the file system by editing some preferences file? If so, how can I find it?

No settings to change that? That's crazy...I've worked on 100s of phones and have never seen that... But the build.prop found in /system typically has the "code" that points to which file to use for the default sounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift es0tericcha0s Ad-Free
3rd November 2014, 03:12 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks, checked the file and found this line: ro.config.notification_sound=HeavenNearby.ogg

If changed, will this be picked up on reboot?
4th November 2014, 12:07 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 880

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007

Thanks, checked the file and found this line: ro.config.notification_sound=HeavenNearby.ogg

If changed, will this be picked up on reboot?

Yes. Make sure to make a backup of your build.prop first and that the permissions are still 0644 before you reboot or you'll have to restore the entire phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift es0tericcha0s Ad-Free
4th November 2014, 04:16 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
I have changed it to another sound file in the same directory and rebooted, but the sound stayed the same, unfortunately.

Edit: I have "fixed" it by copying the desired sound file over the default one.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lenovo, settings

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)