FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

"Find My Device" under device administrators re-enables itself WTH?!

473 posts
Thanks Meter: 63

By Child's Play, Senior Member on 14th November 2018, 09:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Every time I disable "Find My Device" under device administrators, it re-enables itself whenever I reboot my phone. In the phone settings, I turned off location and went to Google->security->Find My Device and toggled off. Then I went to my Google account on my PC to remove the device. Nope! Makes no difference. WTH?! Come on, Google! you creep up on my phone. I have to disable it because when it's enabled, it causes issues with MacroDroid app. My phone is rooted. I'm on Marshmallow 6.0.1 Any solutions? Google makes me wanna rip out my hair. Ugh, this is a nightmare. Same issue on another phone
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Child's Play For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Child's Play Ad-Free

15th November 2018, 04:38 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Can confirm this too.
See that since Yesterday... Android Oreo and/or Pie! Makes no difference... Zte Axon7...
Thanks to Google for this funny new Feature
15th November 2018, 06:24 PM |#3  
Forum Moderator
Flag Victoria, Australia
Thanks Meter: 1,664

Donate to Me
More
It might help if you mention either of the phones you're talking about, just in case this is a device specific issue.
If it's re-enabling itself on reboot, it doesn't sound like you're disabling it properly. Try freezing it using Root Uninstaller to freeze the app.
The Following User Says Thank You to Redline For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Redline Ad-Free
15th November 2018, 11:40 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_axon

Can confirm this too.
See that since Yesterday... Android Oreo and/or Pie! Makes no difference... Zte Axon7...
Thanks to Google for this funny new Feature

Thank you for confirming this. The feature disappears when I disable Google Play services but I can't leave it disabled
16th November 2018, 12:00 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline

It might help if you mention either of the phones you're talking about, just in case this is a device specific issue.
If it's re-enabling itself on reboot, it doesn't sound like you're disabling it properly. Try freezing it using Root Uninstaller to freeze the app.

Firstly, my device and running system are in my post, as you meant me too. I'm quite sure it's not device related... This "issue" appears as soon as i update to the new beta of gplayservices and disappears as soon as I downgrade!
One after another in by friendships have it now, too. So it's rolling out with stable, because none of them is beta tester or it comes over another backdoors...
16th November 2018, 12:12 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline

Right now I'm using LG Volt. Another one is ZTE Warp 7. It's the feature, not the app. If It were the app, I would uninstall it. I tried disabling the feature under Google Play services via the app called "Disable Application [ROOT]" by BIZKAI Apps but it asked me to pay for it pfftt
24th February 2019, 03:54 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi, did anyone manage to solve this issue? I'm trying to disable Google's device admin access but it keeps turning on by itself
24th February 2019, 04:22 AM |#8  

More
The settings might not be saved to your Google account properly , try connecting your device to a stable internet connection and disabling it .. might work, usually same happens with my device when enabling adb(debug security settings) if internet connectivity is poor.
1st March 2019, 12:50 PM |#9  

More
If you're still looking for a fix, I've finally found one! https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...-doze-t3853710
11th April 2019, 01:59 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Fyi...it seems the GmsIntentOperationService service in GooglePlayServices is what is causing it to re-enable at boot. If you are rooted and disable this service it stops re-enabling at boot. Google should fix this....not cool Google.
22nd April 2019, 04:23 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish312

If you're still looking for a fix, I've finally found one! https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...-doze-t3853710

I've tested that Magisk module on a Blu Life One X3 phone, rooted with TWRP as bootloader and Magisk as root. It does indeed permanently disable 'Find My Device' (and removes it from the Device Administrators list), but on this particular phone, it messes up the WiFi connection... it flips between 'Connected' and 'Connected, No Internet', and doesn't transit any data.

I uninstalled the 'Universal GMS Doze' Magisk module, and WiFi functionality returned to normal, but 'Find My Device' was re-enabled. I did this three times, just to be sure, same each time.

For now, to save battery, I'm using 'Enable Doze for GMS Magisk Module' Magisk module, but it doesn't disable 'Find My Device' like 'Universal GMS Doze' does.

I'm now looking at using Disable Application [ROOT] (package:/data/app/com.iamaner.oneclickfreeze-1/base.apk=com.iamaner.oneclickfreeze) to stop the Google Play Services from setting a Device Administrator... you should check out that program, it's awesome. It's a paid program, but it's well worth the coinage.

Here's the Google Play Services activities:
https://github.com/alt236/apkdetails...ces_11.9.49.md

We have a few avenues to explore in turning off 'Find My Device' permanently:
com.google.android.gms.mdm.receivers.ActivateDevic eAdminUponUnlockReceiver
com.google.android.gms.mdm.receivers.MdmDeviceAdmi nReceiver
android.permission.MANAGE_DEVICE_ADMINS

{forgive the spaces in the above... the xda-developers.com editor adds them, for some reason}
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)