FORUMS

Dialer app rejected from Google Play - Permissions

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By andres-h1, Junior Member on 30th June 2020, 01:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi. We're currently putting the finishing touches on our calling app (dialer, spam detection, contacts, call log etc) and we've run into a bit of an issue. Google won't allow our app to be uploaded to Play Store because there's something wrong with the way we ask for runtime permissions.

Google's message:
Quote:

You declared Default Phone handler (and any other core functionality usage while default handler), Caller ID, spam detection, and /or spam blocking, Write and Show Call History in Dialer as the core functionality of your app. However, after review, we found that your app does not match the declared use case(s). Learn more about permitted uses and exceptions.

We currently show the user a popup with an explanation before asking for permissions. If the user denies, we show another explanation popup (rationale) and ask again. If the user then denies again, we let them use the app without the features that use these permissions.

Permissions used:

Code:
android.permission.INTERNET
android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE
android.permission.CALL_PHONE
android.permission.READ_CONTACTS
android.permission.WRITE_CONTACTS
android.permission.READ_CALL_LOG
android.permission.WAKE_LOCK

One version did actually get approved but after that it went back to being denied. Nothing permission-related was changed tho. We're running out of ideas and Google hasn't provided any support so far either. Hoping we can get some help from here.
1st July 2020, 06:53 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 851

More
I think concerning the granting of permissions of an app is explained here exhaustively.
1st July 2020, 10:47 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer

I think concerning the granting of permissions of an app is explained here exhaustively.

True. We have done everything accordingly as well as tried several different approaches to displaying rationales, explanations etc but nothing seems to work. I think the issue might not be the way we ask for permissions but something else. Google says that showing call history, contacts etc is not the core functionality of our app. So I'm thinking it might have something to do with our intent filters in our manifest or something.

Edit:: So I did some more research on this and it seems like Google also checks the Play Store description for keywords related to being a calling app. We did not have any keywords that said this. Refreshed the descriptions and hoping for the best.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)