FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] How to install TWRP & root Lenovo Vibe B A2016A40 (single & dual SIM version)

721 posts
Thanks Meter: 77
 
By dwl99, Senior Member on 14th May 2017, 09:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here's how I rooted my phone. This assumes some previous knowledge of using ADB and TWRP. If you need to, I strongly recommend SIM-unlocking your phone BEFORE you do this - I used this ebay service which cost £1.99 and I received the codes 36 hours later.

Please note that although this worked on my phone, I accept no responsibility if you brick your phone doing this

1. Update your ROM to the latest version, open Settings -> About and tap on Build Number seven times to enable Developer options then check USB debugging & OEM unlocking of the bootloader.
2. Connect your phone to your PC, start ADB and type adb devices - this will bring up a prompt on your phone that you need to respond to. Type adb reboot-bootloader
3. Once in bootloader mode, type fastboot oem unlock. Hit the Volume Up key to confirm.
4. Disconnect the phone from the PC and pull the battery for at least 3 seconds.
5. Download the SuperSU flashable zip https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/s...1612051815.zip and copy it to a microSD card and insert it in the phone.
6. Download TWRP recovery to your PC http://www.mediafire.com/file/4hb66m26kfkw9qt/twrp.img and copy it to the same folder as your ADB (I use Minimal ADB & Fastboot https://androidmtk.com/download-mini...-fastboot-tool ).
7. Start the phone in bootloader mode by holding the Power and Volume Up buttons together until you see white text on the screen. Use the Volume Up button to navigate to Fastboot then select it by pressing Volume Down. Connect the phone to your PC.
8. Type fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
9. Disconnect the phone from the PC and pull the battery for at least 3 seconds.
10. Start the phone in Recovery mode by holding the Power and Volume Up buttons together until you see white text on the screen. Use the Volume Up button to navigate to Recovery then select it by pressing Volume Down.
11. You should then see TWRP starting. Tick the box to agree then swipe the blue button to the right.
12. Tap on Wipe then Format Data. Do not miss out this step or TWRP won't be able to mount the /data partition.
13. Tap the Back button then Factory Reset and swipe the blue button to start.
14. Tap the back button then Install then Select Storage -> microsd card then your SuperSU file then swipe the blue button to the right to flash it.
15. Tap on Reboot System and your phone should boot to your newly rooted OS! Don't panic if the first boot takes 5 or 10 minutes. If it gets stuck, pull the battery & try again.
16. Make sure you disable System Updates as they will no longer work with the non-stock recovery. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long until there's an AOSP or LineageOS ROM for this phone
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dwl99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dwl99 Ad-Free
 
 
20th May 2017, 08:34 AM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thank you
30th May 2017, 11:48 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 105
 
More
This worked like a charm - although I was hesitant knowing there would be no way back, would it?

It *should* be possible to extract the stock recovery from a recent stock firmware - I just haven't found any (my phone came with S219, and was upgraded to S235 prior to rooting). That in theory would open the path to a stock upgrade, if one would like to have it.

Re LineageOS: There's an unofficial build for a codename 'al732row' but I'm in doubt this would match a dual-sim A2016a40. I'll wait for another update or two (three releases within 72 hours, then 2 weeks silence?).

For now I won't complain: this was a bargain even without LinOS - those dirt cheap devices often get stuck with Lollipop.

Another edit: The Nougat LineageOS ROM by CarlosArriagaCM (http://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/t...ougat-7-1-rom/) seems to be limited to the LATAM version of the B (aka A2016b30). For A2016a40 (EMEA version) no cigar
4th June 2017, 05:53 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve8x8

This worked like a charm - although I was hesitant knowing there would be no way back, would it?

It *should* be possible to extract the stock recovery from a recent stock firmware - I just haven't found any (my phone came with S219, and was upgraded to S235 prior to rooting). That in theory would open the path to a stock upgrade, if one would like to have it.

Re LineageOS: There's an unofficial build for a codename 'al732row' but I'm in doubt this would match a dual-sim A2016a40. I'll wait for another update or two (three releases within 72 hours, then 2 weeks silence?).

For now I won't complain: this was a bargain even without LinOS - those dirt cheap devices often get stuck with Lollipop.

Another edit: The Nougat LineageOS ROM by CarlosArriagaCM (http://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/t...ougat-7-1-rom/) seems to be limited to the LATAM version of the B (aka A2016b30). For A2016a40 (EMEA version) no cigar

You can flash the dual-SIM stock ROM using SP Flash Tools so you're never going to end up with a bricked device
The Following User Says Thank You to dwl99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dwl99 Ad-Free
10th June 2017, 02:48 PM |#5  
Vlad Paul's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Buzau
Thanks Meter: 293
 
More
Thank you much. I rooted, installed twrp and i updated TWRP to 3.1.0-0
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ibe-b-t3603304

Any custom rom available for Lenovo Vibe B (A2016A40 version)?
Best Regards,
Vlad
@dwl99 ?
13th June 2017, 02:47 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Paul

Thank you much. I rooted, installed twrp and i updated TWRP to 3.1.0-0
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ibe-b-t3603304

Any custom rom available for Lenovo Vibe B (A2016A40 version)?
Best Regards,
Vlad
@dwl99 ?

Not that I can find. There is one for the a2016b30 but the camera doesn't work.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwl99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dwl99 Ad-Free
15th June 2017, 09:22 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 105
 
More
There's a new (20170614) release. Still there's "E3004: This package is for device: al732row,A2016b30" in the updater-script. Should we invite Carlos to Europe?
(And there should be a ROM thread for this device. Last time I checked there was none.)
The Following User Says Thank You to steve8x8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steve8x8 Ad-Free
16th June 2017, 06:59 AM |#8  
Vlad Paul's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Buzau
Thanks Meter: 293
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve8x8

There's a new (20170614) release. Still there's "E3004: This package is for device: al732row,A2016b30" in the updater-script. Should we invite Carlos to Europe?
(And there should be a ROM thread for this device. Last time I checked there was none.)

Hi! Do you have a2016a40 model? Wich TWRP you have installed, 3. 1.0-0 ? Not working latest rom build?
16th June 2017, 02:23 PM |#9  
Vlad Paul's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Buzau
Thanks Meter: 293
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve8x8

There's a new (20170614) release. Still there's "E3004: This package is for device: al732row,A2016b30" in the updater-script. Should we invite Carlos to Europe?
(And there should be a ROM thread for this device. Last time I checked there was none.)

@Carlos Arriaga replied me will release a new fixed build soon. I hope will working on our model of phone a2016a40.
Look his reply here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...php?p=72692660
19th June 2017, 09:44 PM |#10  
Vlad Paul's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Buzau
Thanks Meter: 293
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve8x8

There's a new (20170614) release. Still there's "E3004: This package is for device: al732row,A2016b30" in the updater-script. Should we invite Carlos to Europe?
(And there should be a ROM thread for this device. Last time I checked there was none.)

New build release on 19.06. 2017. Working on model a2016a40?
20th June 2017, 09:14 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 105
 
More
Short answer: No, no change between 0614 and 0619.
Long answer: You may check this yourself: Open the ZIP file in your favourite archiver tool, and extract the file META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script, then inspect the first line (assert()) for A2016a40.

Disclaimer: Even if the new ROM would be accepted by an A2016a40 I couldn't test it right away (no access to the device anymore / yet again).
The Following User Says Thank You to steve8x8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steve8x8 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes