Post Reply Email Thread
14th February 2019, 03:35 PM |#21  
OP Member
Flag Fafe
Thanks Meter: 42

Donate to Me
More
Finished building. Time to test...

Note: don't be misled by the 45:04 elapsed time on picture. It took hours and hours to fix all the stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-02-14 15-33-28.png
Views:	98
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	4705404  
15th February 2019, 09:09 AM |#22  
OP Member
Flag Fafe

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by htimsxela

Some news regarding the overall progress with LineageOS.

I checked out the repo from cm-14.1 (cyanogenmod 14.1) and am now trying to build for it. If it builds, at least we'll have Android 7.1.x running on device. And - I believe - it could bring some light to start a port to a newer version (Lineage 15.1).

Up to now, I faced the same compile errors I got when compiling for 15.1, so it's being straight forward. I'm anxious to see if it'll boot.

As usual, I'll keep you posted.

Didn't boot. Again.

For 15.1, when phone is turned on, it starts loading and, before showing the ROM logo, it gets back to penguin screen (bootloader).
For 14.1, when phone is turned on, it starts loading and, before showing the ROM logo, it reboots into recovery.

I've been reading that maybe the modem image is not compatible with newer versions of Android. It could be the case.

But I don't give up easy, so now I'll try a new approach. Long ago I found out OnePlus 2 is very similar to X900/Max1 in terms of architecture. The front and rear cameras are different though. OnePlus 2 uses OV sensors while X900/Max1 uses Sony IMX230 sensors (at least for front camera). So the plan now is to compile a oneplus2 variant to suit the X900.

Again, let's see if that will work...
15th February 2019, 04:35 PM |#23  
OP Member
Flag Fafe

Donate to Me
More
More news.

For those in a hurry, just read this: it builds (again), but doesn't boot (again).

Keep reading if you want to know more.

I fully updated the device tree. You can see on github I have now 4 repositories:

1. https://github.com/alexsmithbr/android_device_letv_max1 <- the main device tree
2. https://github.com/alexsmithbr/andro...ce_letv_common <- common tree for letv devices
3. https://github.com/alexsmithbr/android_kernel_letv_max1 <- max1 kernel tree (unmodified from leeco)
4. https://github.com/alexsmithbr/android_vendor_letv_max1 <- vendor device tree for main device

I just copied the OnePlus2 structure and adapted accordingly, so android_device_letv_max1 was android_device_oneplus_oneplus2 and android_device_letv_common was android_device_oppo_common.

Inside trees #1 and #2, I replace everything related to "oneplus" for "letv" and everything related to "oneplus2" for "max1". Of course I looked at the code to fix any bugs this could cause.

Then I gave it a run and it built just fine.

I'm not surprised it didn't boot, since I didn't copy any vendor files from Max1 into vendor folder yet. Now I'll have to do it and see how it goes.

One interesting thing is that when I try to flash the new ROM, the assert function fails saying "This package is for device: x900,X900,x900+,X900+,max1,Max1,MAX1; this device is ." It seems like my recovery (twrp 3.0.0) is not being able to use getprop("ro.product.device") correctly, as device name is coming empty. So, in order to install the ROM, I had to temporarily patch /build/make/tools/releasetools/edify_generator.py so that it would accept my device. I did this by updating def AssertDevice(self, device): function. I just added a 1 == 1 before the test, so it will install despite the device I'm trying to use. It is dangerous, but I'm not publishing this ROM until I can boot it, so it's only dangerous for me.

Next steps:

- fixing proprietary-files.txt and populate vendor/letv/max1 folder, then build again.
- I'm thinking about compiling twrp as well. Maybe working with a recovery image will be faster and, once I get it working, I can come back to the full android development.
16th February 2019, 08:50 PM |#24  
OP Member
Flag Fafe

Donate to Me
More
TWRP 3.2.1-0 for LeEco (Letv) Le Max - max1/x900
Thanks to ABM30, we got a x1 twrp-3.2.1-0 image which is compatible with x900 phones.

And thanks to LeGi0NeeR, we got twrp-3.2.3-0 for x1, which works for max1/x900 as well (I just tested it).

I tweaked version 3.2.3-0 it a little bit so that we can backup all max1/x900 partitions and it identifies the phone as "X900", not as "Le 1 Pro". The modified image is here:

https://mega.nz/#!DQMySa5I!iigFfAKl3...FQEkOYUWZKewYc

If it works for you too, please let me know.
17th February 2019, 01:51 PM |#25  
OP Member
Flag Fafe

Donate to Me
More
Regarding the port to a newer Android, I got this message which is really inspiring!

Quote:

4) Direct upgrade from Lollipop ROMs to Nougat+ ROMs is not possible for x800/x900 CN, you have to install firstly some Marshmallow ROM to update some basic partitions:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lee...-boot-t3843901

So maybe the problem I was having (getting stuck to the penguin (bootloader) screen is due to this step-by-step upgrade which must be done before we can flash a newer Android version. Experiences will continue and I'll keep you informed.
18th February 2019, 04:25 AM |#26  
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 1

Donate to Me
More
Hey, so I'm that guy you messaged recently on Reddit who was trying to build Lineage for a similar device with the same exact hardware practically/pretty much, taking some notes from what you've done as well as eventually just using the exact device tree with minor modifications from my source device, replacing my source device's kernel source with my target device's kernel source, and getting successful builds but ending up with the same end result/issue you're having (device won't boot/will instead bootloop back into recovery (which I've gotten to work simply by replacing the kernel from the preexisting/precompiled recovery for the source device with the kernel for my target device) without much reason or clue as to why); here's the next step I that I'm currently taking and exploring in attempt to find out/debug why that's happening: ensure that your target/compiled ROM is installed (incase you wiped it in an attempt to try and debug or ensure it wasn't an installation issue), force boot your target boot.img (via fastboot) to ensure it doesn't just go straight into recovery mode, afterwards once it reboots go ahead and let/allow it to boot up on it's own back into recovery (or if it reboots back into the bootloader load directly into recovery mode), and then once in recovery, either under advanced then terminal or via adb shell, enter "cat /proc/last_kmsg" (I actually recommend doing "adb pull /proc/last_kmsg ./kmsg.txt" instead which makes both navigation and reading much easier) and that'll pretty much show you a log of what happened and/or why, which for me happens to be SELinux related, not sure if it/that'll be the same for you but I believe that's the only thing standing in my way now from getting my device working, maybe yours as well. Sorry I took so long.
18th February 2019, 09:34 AM |#27  
Flag Bronx

Donate to Me
More
Well, if it's got anything at all to do with SELinux then I'm afraid we're stuck as I've tried literally everything I've come across to try and fix it for my device with no luck/success despite the recovery using the same exact kernel in the proper way I need it to in the system/boot (as in permissive; SELinux is set to permissive in recovery and works properly there but won't/is stuck in system thus causing issues/bootloops). I've tried things from recompiling my kernel with SELinux completely absent which doesn't work since the system checks for it and bootloops with a different SELinux error message stating that it couldn't be found and is missing (so we are required to have it one way or another by Android), recompiling with commandline permissive in device boardconfig and modifying the kconfig files in kernel also does nothing as it still won't boot up successfully, trying to boot with the source device's kernel fails with the DTB error (I also tried combining the kernel sources which I felt was probably not that great of an idea but I tried it anyways and it caused the recompilation to fail, then I tried selectively combining specific things while manually modifying others and that still failed). Literally the only issue that I can see/find for my device via the previous method I've given above in my previous post (the last_kmsg method) is with SELinux which is the direct cause/reason behind the constant rebooting into recovery rather than a successful, with no clear fix nor workaround that actually works.
18th February 2019, 01:43 PM |#28  
OP Member
Flag Fafe

Donate to Me
More
Hi, JayMontana36! First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to report your issues. We're on the same boat!

I have a question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMontana36

[...] ensure that your target/compiled ROM is installed (incase you wiped it in an attempt to try and debug or ensure it wasn't an installation issue), force boot your target boot.img (via fastboot) to ensure it doesn't just go straight into recovery mode, afterwards once it reboots go ahead and let/allow it to boot up on it's own back into recovery (or if it reboots back into the bootloader load directly into recovery mode), and then once in recovery, either under advanced then terminal or via adb shell, enter "cat /proc/last_kmsg" [...] and that'll pretty much show you a log of what happened and/or why, which for me happens to be SELinux related [...]

Are you trying this with a max1/x900 as well? I ask you that because my phone doesn't seem to have a /proc/last_kmsg file. I saw that LeEco patched this functionality in their kernel and (it seems) they've put sort of a last_kmsg file in "letvconfig2" partition. I mentioned it on the first post of this thread.

Let's join forces, my friend. I believe we're not too far.
18th February 2019, 05:56 PM |#29  
Flag Bronx

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by htimsxela

Are you trying this with a max1/x900 as well? I ask you that because my phone doesn't seem to have a /proc/last_kmsg file. I saw that LeEco patched this functionality in their kernel and (it seems) they've put sort of a last_kmsg file in "letvconfig2" partition. I mentioned it on the first post of this thread.

Nah, my device is the FIH PHX (which actually is for multiple devices, my device in particular is the Luna TG-L800S, though the InFocus M812 also has/uses the same codename and ROMs are crosscompatible across both devices including all the variants of the M812 with minimal effort, even the bootloaders can be run which I've had to do at one point to recover from a somewhat stupid action of mine, which was attempting to flash the OnePlus One X (ONYX) bootloader and firmware to my device which did work (device took it) however resulted in hardbricking I had to recover from rather than the desired result, everything else though works across these as far as I can tell, patching OnePlus One X recoveries with the correct kernel for example works great/perfectly out of the box with no issues whatsoever however for whatever reason the same can't be said for system). Our devices are completely different architectures from what I can tell, most notably yours being arm64 mine being arm/armv7.1 (also different SoCs) but with the same issue, I for one am at a loss though as I have no idea what else to do or try with mine. I've now also tried doing user and userdebug builds rather than the eng builds but no difference either.

Anyways, so if the last_kmsg file for your device is in or on another partition, I'd say take a look at the fstab files to see if anything relevant is listed/shown there and/or patch/replace the one in recovery so that you can mount it much easier from in recovery (likely from commandline); depending upon how they've done that however, it'll either be a filesystem with the last_kmsg file on/in it, or it'll be no filesystem at all but a file/partition that you can read directly from with a text editor (or dd into a file then read afterwards).
18th February 2019, 06:26 PM |#30  
OP Member
Flag Fafe

Donate to Me
More
Got it. Well, from my side, I've tried to dump that partition with dd and inspect it, but it seems Letv patch makes it write to the partition only if certain parameters match (kernel version, etc), otherwise kernel messages are completely ignored. It makes it almost impossible to blindly debug the kernel. Anyway, maybe trying to revert this patch would be promising...

As for your side, I'd suggest you to post the last_kmsg file somewhere (maybe a new thread?) and I can try to help you debugging it. I know sepolicies are really troublesome, but we can try. I'm happy to help.
18th February 2019, 07:54 PM |#31  
Flag Bronx

Donate to Me
More
Hmm well that's a weird/strange one making it only write if/when something specific matches when it comes to development, but maybe try replacing the newly compiled kernel with the original in the boot image to bypass this, and/or using the original boot image completely to see if the same thing happens? Maybe also take a closer look at the commandline kernel options from the original to see if anything relevant is there for that; I'm not entirely sure if there are any kmsg related commanline options available for/on our kernel versions or if any even exist at all (can't find any) that force it and/or set a destination location.

So, for my device, I've posted in the 2 already established threads relating to custom ROMs for my device (which hasn't really seen much action in 2-3 years apart from a few asking about it, nothing development or update related), though maybe I should/will create my own thread for it but I'm going to wait that off a bit first to see if anything happens with those threads.

Thread 1: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=1246 (not entirely for my device, however does contain a lot of stuff for it)
Thread 2: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...2&postcount=25 (more dedicated to/for my device specifically than the one above is)

My last_kmsg file: https://pastebin.com/ZkmbCmXx
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
leeco, letv, lineageos, max1, x900

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)