FORUMS

[Help] Whatsapp videopreview black screen with audio

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By Tzuuit, Junior Member on 24th February 2020, 12:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone,

I have a Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F) with Kernel 3.18.91. and Android 8.0. The phone was rooted just recently with the latest version of magisk.
I am not quite the expert, but I will try my best to describe the issue.
Basically after I rooted this phone, I started noticing that I could no longer play back videos in Whatsapp before I send them (the preview window where you can edit it before sending it).
All it does now is play back the audio and show a black screen. It doesn't crash or anything, the content of the video is just not being played except the audio.
Video playback is completely fine in the stock gallery app and everywhere else.
I already reinstalled Whatsapp and restarted my Phone

I have the following modules for magisk installed:
Busybox 1.31.1
debloater 17.3.3
Viper4Android FX 2.7.1
Samsung 4K60 Camera Mod 7.6.86

I also removed some of the bloating software with the terminal, but upon noticing this issue I decided to revert some of the changes. I do not know if this issue persisted beforehand. I was thinking that I might have deleted something here that was important for its functionality, but then the stock player wouldnt work either right?
I would rather not do a factory reset to fix this, if possible. However, if there is no other possibilty is there a way to backup all my modules and settings?

Here is what I tried:
reinstall Whatsapp multiple times
restart the phone
revert some of the changes in the debloater terminal
deactivate HW overlay

My guess is that I deleted something in the terminal that was important, is there a way to know for sure?
I hope someone can give me some hints as to what this problem is about. I will make sure to add screenshots of the list EDIT: need 10 posts to send links so I will just do it manually.
list of removed apps:

Basic Daydreams
VoiceAssistant
upsmtheme
gearmanagerstub
samsung galaxy friends
language packs
galaxy essential widgets
Gear VR Service
S voice
Samsung gear, account, billing, cloud

EDIT 2: I found a temporary fix by enabling force GPU rendering in the system settings, I double checked by enabling the refresh indicator and previewing a video. Once I disable this option, video preview no longer works again. Question now is, if there is a way for me to exclusively enable this for whatsapp to save battery life
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tzuuit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tzuuit Ad-Free
25th March 2020, 12:20 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Just switch rendering by gpu in develop opp
Manny thanks buddy its works
Tomas
The Following User Says Thank You to BeNNytom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BeNNytom Ad-Free
2nd April 2020, 05:23 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
How to Enable Force GPU Rendering:
First of all "THANKYOU" for the solution of error. May GOD Bless You

1. Go to Settings and scroll all the way down to the bottom.
2. If you don't see the option, tap on About phone (About device) and look for an entry called Build Number.
3. Tap on Build number 7 times until you get a message saying “You are now a developer“.
4. Find Force GPU Rendering option and enable it.
Request for prayers.
6th May 2020, 06:35 AM |#4  

More
Galaxy S7 EDGE in whatsapp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzuuit

Hello everyone,

I have a Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F) with Kernel 3.18.91. and Android 8.0. The phone was rooted just recently with the latest version of magisk.
I am not quite the expert, but I will try my best to describe the issue.
Basically after I rooted this phone, I started noticing that I could no longer play back videos in Whatsapp before I send them (the preview window where you can edit it before sending it).
All it does now is play back the audio and show a black screen. It doesn't crash or anything, the content of the video is just not being played except the audio.
Video playback is completely fine in the stock gallery app and everywhere else.
I already reinstalled Whatsapp and restarted my Phone

I have the following modules for magisk installed:
Busybox 1.31.1
debloater 17.3.3
Viper4Android FX 2.7.1
Samsung 4K60 Camera Mod 7.6.86

I also removed some of the bloating software with the terminal, but upon noticing this issue I decided to revert some of the changes. I do not know if this issue persisted beforehand. I was thinking that I might have deleted something here that was important for its functionality, but then the stock player wouldnt work either right?
I would rather not do a factory reset to fix this, if possible. However, if there is no other possibilty is there a way to backup all my modules and settings?

Here is what I tried:
reinstall Whatsapp multiple times
restart the phone
revert some of the changes in the debloater terminal
deactivate HW overlay

My guess is that I deleted something in the terminal that was important, is there a way to know for sure?
I hope someone can give me some hints as to what this problem is about. I will make sure to add screenshots of the list EDIT: need 10 posts to send links so I will just do it manually.
list of removed apps:

Basic Daydreams
VoiceAssistant
upsmtheme
gearmanagerstub
samsung galaxy friends
language packs
galaxy essential widgets
Gear VR Service
S voice
Samsung gear, account, billing, cloud

EDIT 2: I found a temporary fix by enabling force GPU rendering in the system settings, I double checked by enabling the refresh indicator and previewing a video. Once I disable this option, video preview no longer works again. Question now is, if there is a way for me to exclusively enable this for whatsapp to save battery life

same issue here with my Galaxy S7 EDGE in whatsapp i factory reseted reinstalled whatsapp but still same issue any help?
7th May 2020, 04:51 PM |#5  
Flag Accra
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Having the same issue here with my s7 edge too i haven't rooted or done anything to it. Its a tmobile version.. Before it was blank screen with sound.. Noe there is no sound at all.. Any solution please
15th July 2020, 11:28 PM |#6  

More
Seems to be a general bug for some devices...
Force GPU rendering and clearing my cache didn't fix it for me, however, I was able to get around the black screen by hitting the "Add files" icon, and immediately hitting "OK" without adding any additional files. Video preview renders fine after doing this each and every time. It's a hassle but it works for me. Hope this helps someone.

In case this is an entirely different bug, the file's audio still plays for me when I tap the black screen on my Google Pixel 3.
3rd August 2020, 11:30 PM |#7  

More
Thank you so much i have been dealing with this in my samsung s7 too for a long time and i fixed it with an old version of whatsapp, until today that i couldn´t use it anymore because it was too old. This is the first site that i have seen a real solution to this problem. Thanks againn!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)