FORUMS

How to root Onyx Boox Note?

301 posts
Thanks Meter: 68

By Windsor1959, Senior Member on 16th April 2018, 07:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have recently bought an Onyx Boox Note. This is an E-Ink device that runs Android 6.0.1. It has a 10.3 inch display, 2 gb of RAM, and 32 gb of internal storage. No sd card slot. There is no custom recovery available for it, to my knowledge. Neither Kingoroot nor Kingroot were able to root it. I have adb access to the Note, however, but not fastboot.

Any suggestions as to what I could try? Let me know if you need more info about the device.

Thanks for your help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windsor1959 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Windsor1959 Ad-Free
17th April 2018, 05:19 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Update: I have achieved root. I used King Root which finally worked after a couple of attempts. I then used the SuperSuMe Pro app to switch myself over to SuperSU. All is well now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windsor1959 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Windsor1959 Ad-Free
19th April 2018, 08:15 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson8898

OT, So is the device worth the $$$?

That depends on how you plan to use it. (The price is not out of line if you compare it with an iPad or some similarly sized Android tablet.)

The best answer I can give you is to offer you a checklist of various features. If you can say "yes" to most, if not all, of them, then the Note might be worth the cost for you.

1) Your eyes like E-Ink much more than LED.
2) You want a device light enough for lengthy ebook reading sessions, yet large enough to comfortably read pdfs.
3) You want the ability to install apps of your choice (Instapaper, Moon Reader, Outlook, Office, whatever...)
4) A frontlight is not essential.
5) A sd card slot is not essential.
6) Bluetooth capability is important.
7) Note-taking with a stylus is important to you.
8) Audio capability is useful to you.
9) You find the older crop of E-Ink devices too slow.

There may be other features you may value, but this will do as a general checklist. Then you can see for yourself if the Note is worth the money or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windsor1959 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Windsor1959 Ad-Free
22nd April 2018, 01:38 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 526

More
Please we need root!!!! I was not able to get root with my firmware!!!!
7th May 2018, 01:51 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi, Where did you buy this device? I like it and my eyes are tied of LCD screens.
More one question: Could you please show some pictures with taking notes on Onenote?
Thanks
8th May 2018, 12:49 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IurMal

Hi, Where did you buy this device? I like it and my eyes are tied of LCD screens.
More one question: Could you please show some pictures with taking notes on Onenote?
Thanks

I bought my device from here.

I don't have OneNote installed on my device. However, if you check out the Onyx threads on Mobileread, you'll find reports that there is a significant lag when someone takes notes with OneNote, or any third party app. The stock Note app works much better - but that doesn't help you, unfortunately.

I don't use the note-taking functions very much, other that annotations and the like on pdfs.
8th May 2018, 01:36 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IurMal

Thanks

The Android applications for taking notes are not ready for this device yet (if they use the Note's SDK, that will be much different history), they have a lot of lag, but instead you can use the built in note application and the is like writing in paper.
I use it to read book and the web.
The Following User Says Thank You to citytrader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift citytrader Ad-Free
8th May 2018, 02:06 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Need help
Guys, thanks a lot for answers. Actually I need an e-ink device on Android with a big screen and capable to run the app JW Library. But because this devise is new on the market, I am afraid to spent the money (and it is not a cheap one) and discover that it can not run this app smoothly. I have a Kindle Paper White and I love it, but its screen is too small and it is not an Android.
May I ask you guys a favor?
Could someone of you guys to install this app from Google Store and to download just some magazines and books and to try to turn pages, to click on references and to see how it works (the app does not require registration). I think with 2 Gb of RAM and 4 core proc. it should work smoothly as much as the e-ink screen allows, but I am afraid to buy it and discover that this app is too heavy for the Note and its software.
Please, I need a help with this.
Thank you in advance for the help!
P.S.: It would be great if someone could attache a picture of the Note with this app working/opened if it is not too much to ask for.
8th May 2018, 02:19 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
I might be able to try it tomorrow. One of the main reasons why I bought the Note was its ability to run the Logos Bible Software app - and the Note runs it perfectly. I'll see what I can do about pics. I can attach screenshots as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windsor1959 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Windsor1959 Ad-Free
8th May 2018, 03:08 AM |#11  

More
ERASED.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citytrader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift citytrader Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)