Injecting Root & Setting SELinux - End Stages? Greyhat Root

Search This thread
Hello! I’ve come, because in my quest to root my recent Galaxy S Devices, I’ve hit a big fork in the road and I don’t have the knowledge base to answer the last few questions I have. I feel like I should know the answers here, but for some reason I am lost to what to do next. I don’t quite understand how the newer root methods work these days, since working with the system & recovery images isn’t as easy with the newer Samsungs.

I got together with a developer, @droidvoider, where together we came up with this idea to get a root shell capable of at least remounting the filesystem R/W before reboot. He coded it on 6.0.1, and I talked a whole lot while I tested it on 5.1.1.

The Greyhat Root Console post#63
Major update!
1. I have debugged the tool heavily and it appears to me that I can replace any file on the system. Testing files you can't normally read is done via code so it's slow going, let me know if you find any blocks now.
2. If you have any file that gives an error but then replaces, that's because it tried other contexts.. PUT THIS ACTION AS THE LAST ENTRY, it might not be changing back to install_recovery from some contexts
3) the su install thing is designed to give an error I didn't even try to get root with this, literally focused on getting the tool done only.
4) next is a console of sorts, with exec dcow patching.. muahahaha
https://github.com/droidvoider/CVE-2016-5195_GreyhatRootProject_Root_Console
post#41you start an apk with am or monkey ... Let me know if I missed any other questions I'm excited about my find

I have awesome news.. As soon as I started playing with ls -la / using both contexts with root I seen that inside /cache/recovery/ is some log files. I am pressed for time hard, however
Code:
ls -la /cache/recovery/
Attached you can see the full output acquired from ls under both contexts

I'll start with the fact that I do not have Cellular Service. I no longer own a Note 5 N920A. But I do still own an S5 G900V, S6 Edge G925V, and a S7 Edge G935V. They serve as Wi-Fi Only Devices, and they are owned by myself. So slightly selfishly, I concern myself only with modifications that allow the device to boot, working network services are not a primary concern of mine. As they can more than likely be configured after boot by someone smarter than me.

I know that normally DM-Verity, KNOX, Encryption, U/G IDs, and SELinux, play a big role in allowing a user to execute processes as the root user. I am running 5.1.1 Android on my S6e & 7.0 on my S7e. I have an Engineering Kernel and boots normally with ADB Root Shell access. I have an Engineering Sboot, and allows me a non Root ADB Shell while booted normally in Stock Recovery. Right now the Eng Kernel I have, sets SELinux to Enforcing Mode. If I use the stock factory binary kernel, I lose root adb shell access but gain Permissive SELinux Mode. How do I inject root from here in a stable fashion?

post#112
But I did want to post my findings so far on my selinux adventures thus far with my note 7....
So I was able to change the root context permanently from u:eek:bject_r:rootfs:s0 to u:r:shell:s0.
This by itself isn't all that helpful except that I actually changed it, and it stuck when I rebooted the device.
I achieved this through dirtycow-ing the file_contexts file with my customs file_contexts file and the commmands restorecon -RFv / and chcon -Rhv u:r:shell:s0 / restorecon makes selinux reload the file_contexts file immediately, so it loads all or most of my custom contexts. then I do a chcon command to make sure it writes?
well thats all I have for now but im working vigorously and will keep posting my findings as I find them =)

Using "DD" on Android 6.0.1 post#18
Tool is working!!!
Android 64 bit universal dirtycow dd image write works for both push/pull.. I am tired so please see github readme, the Makefile and push_files.txt, pull_files.txt examples. I am going to get root, this is the first step.
https://github.com/droidvoider/Android_6.01__DD_Dcow

Page 4 for File and GHR Console
Page 5 further discussion of Console
Page 6 GHR Console

I'm going to go into some detail here about the Firmware I've been flashing just so everyone knows without having to ask. I'm almost really hoping maybe we could all muster one more attempt at rooting this Note 5 variant.

I really feel like I really might have something here, especially with the updated binaries of "Farm Root", "CVE 2016-5195 (dirtycow)", and bootimgtools (mkbootimg & unpackbootimg). All compiled for arm64-v8a. Thanks to @droidvoider for helping to compile those. I'm not a linux Expert by any means, but I'm on a mission, and I do know a few things. With all of the Security Bulletins that have come out since November, there should be plenty of Attack Vectors for using the LL Eng Kernel or DirtyCow to gain enough Kernel Privileges to maybe even unlock the dang bootloader. Or maybe bypass the signature check for one boot. LL-based UCU1AOGG Recovery Mode does not use DM-Verity when exiting, and the Combination Firmware doesn't seem to use it at all So....

Q1.) Can someone please help me get at least a systemless root installed? WITHOUT using a custom recovery? It might need to actually be a system root though looking at the Galaxy S8.

This should be possible using the LL Engineering Kernel & Engineering Sboot for the Factory Binary. Especially since the August builds are fully exploitable by DirtyCow, and with an eng Kernel that is half the battle we were using dirtycow for in the first place. Now we should be able to use DirtyCow to finish the root injection. Because the Factory Binary does not utilize DM-Verity that is obvious. So using the Factory Combination Firmware, there may actually be a way to legit boot a custom recovery I feel, even if only for one boot, that is plenty enough if prepared when that oneshot boot happens. Once installed with the full Combination Bootloader (ODIN BL file) I can then flash any N920A LL ODIN AP File. All the way back to N920AUCU1AOGG. Warranty Bit Intact, Official Status, Normal Rebooting. In fact, after everything I've done thus far, I have still yet to trip my KNOX Warranty (Still 0x00).

** MM 6.0.1 **

Here are the contents of the tar.md5's:
Code:
tar -tvf AP_N920AUCS3BPH4_CL7563702_QB10603229_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi    28746016 2016-08-10 00:31 boot.img
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi    29413664 2016-08-10 00:32 recovery.img
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi  4125403456 2016-08-10 00:33 system.img
-rw-r--r-- dpi/dpi   549536816 2016-08-10 00:33 userdata.img

tar -tvf BL_N920AUCS3BPH4_CL7563702_QB10603229_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi     1634576 2016-08-10 00:31 sboot.bin
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi     1095680 2016-08-10 00:28 param.bin
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi     2113808 2016-08-10 00:28 cm.bin

tar -tvf CP_N920AUCS3BPH4_CL7563702_QB10603229_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi    37269840 2016-08-10 00:28 modem.bin

tar -tvf CSC_ATT_N920AATT3BPH4_CL7563702_QB10603229_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi        3072 2016-08-10 00:32 NOBLELTE_USA_ATT.pit
-rw-r--r-- dpi/dpi    89608656 2016-08-10 00:34 cache.img

For this MM Stock Firmware, I've also come across this Modem for a Z3X Flash Box, that is used when direct unlocking this device. I do know, that when I have this CP installed, I do have access to the APN Editor, to Add/Modify/Delete APN's:
Code:
tar -tvf N920A_UCS3BPH4_CP_FOR_UNLOCK.tar 
-rw-r--r-- 0/0        37269840 2016-08-10 00:28 modem.bin

** LL 5.1.1 **

I’ve happened upon the full ODIN flash-able SW Rev 3 Factory Binary for the AT&T Galaxy Note 5. It allowed me to do a full firmware downgrade from MM 6.0.1 to LL 5.1.1 without worrying about trying to downgrade my binary counter in download mode. It’s the only 5.1.1 build I’ve seen that isn’t a binary 2-(SW REV 2) & It contains these files:

Filename: COMBINATION_FA51_N920AUCU3APH1_CL6053901_QB10608083_REV00_user_mid_noship.tar.md5
Code:
tar -tvf COMBINATION_FA51_N920AUCU3APH1_CL6053901_QB10608083_REV00_user_mid_noship.tar.md5
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi     1634576 2016-08-10 06:44 sboot.bin
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi     1095680 2016-08-10 06:43 param.bin
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi     2113808 2016-08-10 06:43 cm.bin
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi    24660256 2016-08-10 06:44 boot.img
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi    24754464 2016-08-10 06:44 recovery.img
-rw-r--r-- dpi/dpi  1537858544 2016-08-10 06:44 system.img
-rw-r--r-- dpi/dpi     4292768 2016-08-10 06:44 persdata.img
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi    36163408 2016-08-10 06:43 modem.bin
-rw-rw-r-- dpi/dpi        3072 2016-08-10 06:44 NOBLELTE_USA_ATT.pit

Using ODIN v3.12.5, I flashed this firmware using the AP slot overtop of the Full 3BPH4, and after flashing the Factory Binary these are the build details that boot up with zero errors. Mind you, I have tried this with, and without, a sim card inserted. It is not lost on me either, that UCS3BPH4 (Stock) and UCU3APH1 (Factory) have the same build dates listed on them.
* Device := SM-N920A
* Android Version := 5.1.1
* Baseband Version := N920AUCU3APH1
* Kernel Version := 3.10.61 August 10th 2016
* Build Number := LMY47X.FA51_N920AUCU3APH1
* SELinux Status := Permissive

From @TechNyne66 I got the LL Eng Kernel from the 2APB2 build. I have yet to see any other UCE branded files.
Code:
tar -tvf N920AUCE2APB2.tar 
-rwxr-xr-x 0/0        27326752 2016-02-11 01:42 boot.img

But flashing this kernel into the Factory Binary sets SELinux to Enforcing, which makes things a bit more difficult. And I don't know how to edit the Kernel in a way I can repack it for flashing. My attempts thus far have failed when trying to flash a repacked boot.img. Probably because I did not make the necessary build.prop tweaks, and because I didn't use the correct compression levels to repack. What I mentioned earlier about not understanding the filesystem all that well anymore, stems from not having a broad understanding of build/default.prop & the various .rc/init files.

This is also possibly due to Samsung using a customized header for the Kernel's Binary.

Q2.) Is there a way to update the UID/GID from 'dpi/dpi' to '0/0' without modifying the signature embedded into the tar.md5?
Q3.) Is there a way to extract the extra data from the end of the file?
Q4.) Can I examine the persdata.img directly, to see it's contents before flashing? I don't know how to view the img format and how to extract it.

My post is too long, so I'm moving to post #2

Last edited:
Since these are too long to fit in post 1, I was forced to double post. Here is the last bit about partition tables. The reports are long. Please, any solid advice would be helpful.

** PIT File Examinations **

Moving on, I have used "PIT Magic 1.3 Release", found here on XDA, to look at the partition tables of the .pit files included with the N920AUCS3BPH4 & N920AUCU3APH1 ODIN firmware packages. I have also included the PIT File examination from the unlocked European Firmware. Given that PIT Magic 1.3 is a few years old, the latest version I have is labeled 2012. I read about how difficult it was to get the format correctly back then, and I have no way of knowing if the PIT File format has changed since then. But it does still seem to give usable output. I just don't know how to use this output meaningfully yet.

Attachments

• PIT_Analysis_N920AUCS3BPH4.txt
    15.1 KB · Views: 68
  • PIT_Analysis_N920AUCU3APH1.txt
    15.1 KB · Views: 26
  • PIT_Analysis_NOBLELTE_EUR_OPEN_HIDDEN150M.txt
    15.7 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: droidvoider

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
If you could hack one of the apps that are included in the sepolicy and set the Androidmanifest.xml to include android:dubuggable="true" we can make a two stage app. read and replace as root with the cow and then reload your inits.

toolbox.c root trick:
I am working on a very very powerful tool now. I am taking farm-root toolbox.c and changing it to grab root + context but then fork a process into a loop and just keep those privs. Hopefully I can even control that loop from the command line still! Currently I can get root and system_server, install_recovery.. But today after work we find out if I can hold on to it in a loop.

recovery-from-boot.p
I researched this today because we can read/patch this file with dirtycow. This file replaces the stock recovery every time you boot if they are different. I don't know if it also uses the hardware signature verification process, if so that's a key that's hidden in the partition image (hopeless for us i bet)
So if we replace recovery we have to crush this file with dirtycow.c

Last edited:
Reactions: Delgoth

verg0

Sep 10, 2012
This sounds very interesting, i have a damaged g935f with dm-verty faied and frp lock so there is no way to use this device unless i flash with no-verity firmware but cant as frp stops me flashing root, hopefully you can use this exploit with the factory combination firmware to replace the boot loader with twrp or other custom bootloader to fix this issue, there is lots of people with same the problem im sure

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
This sounds very interesting, i have a damaged g935f with dm-verty faied and frp lock so there is no way to use this device unless i flash with no-verity firmware but cant as frp stops me flashing root, hopefully you can use this exploit with the factory combination firmware to replace the boot loader with twrp or other custom bootloader to fix this issue, there is lots of people with same the problem im sure
Can you get booted at all? If you can' t get booted I won't be gaining access to that phone until someone smart works out the encryption, no one has on the note 3 yet not even hashcode (that he ever released). While the bootloader is locked.... The sboot.bin = signed by hardware key. If that key is not present there is an undisclosed backup key embedded in the partition, one must be present and neither are known. Minus the presence of those keys, chain of trust fails.
S7 is worth saving if it can be saved tho

verg0

Sep 10, 2012
Can you get booted at all? If you can' t get booted I won't be gaining access to that phone until someone smart works out the encryption, no one has on the note 3 yet not even hashcode (that he ever released). While the bootloader is locked.... The sboot.bin = signed by hardware key. If that key is not present there is an undisclosed backup key embedded in the partition, one must be present and neither are known. Minus the presence of those keys, chain of trust fails.
S7 is worth saving if it can be saved tho

No bud, the phone wont boot a normal firmware as the certificate is screwed and imei 0000000000, but it will boot with combination firmware, all i need to do is gain root and disable 'frp lock' via z3x box or another method and car repair the phone... Im not fussed about the warranty being void to be honest... I have ADB but not root fix phone :(

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
My tool will likely be helpful to you because that sounds good enough as long as you can get to a prompt that is CVE-2016-5195 / SVE-2016-7504 vulnerable. Anyone who isn't patched beyond Sept 2016 on any Android in the last 10 years will be able to use the tool I'm building to do amazing things. I am designing it precisely for people like you and Delgoth who have large investments in phones that could simply be repaired with enough access.

I am thinking now to fork off a child process anytime I can capture root + "any_new_context"... This will be forked into a child process then kept in a loop. If there is a new root + context that happens along through toolbox, we will grab that also.. (but I won't grab two of the same for example root + system_server I just need once)
I am hoping I can control this loop from the command line but since I am not the caller of the process for which I am capturing I am not sure that would work. This is new code to me, not sure of any examples of something like this. If I have to control it through values I set in files it adds a little more time. The great news is I am not having binary size problems so I can add quite a bit of code while still keeping toolbox much less than the currently installed version on my Note 5. File size must match exactly otherwise patching causes seg fault and seg fault ruins the fun (reboot to cure but irritating)

anyway just needed to come up for air I have a ton done, need to get toolbox fired up to test angle.. any c programmers that want to help or anyone with awesome ideas please feel welcome I could use help

verg0

Sep 10, 2012
Ah cool the combination firmware i have is:

COMBINATION_FA60_G935FXXU1APB5_STEP1_OLDFW\COMBINATION_FA60_G935FXXU1APB5_CL7345605_QB8752841_REV00_user_mid_noship.tar

The kernel is 3.18.14-7345605 Thu 25th Feb 2016 so it should be exploitable :) I'd love to get my S7 Edge working again

My tool will likely be helpful to you because that sounds good enough as long as you can get to a prompt that is CVE-2016-5195 / SVE-2016-7504 vulnerable. Anyone who isn't patched beyond Sept 2016 on any Android in the last 10 years will be able to use the tool I'm building to do amazing things. I am designing it precisely for people like you and Delgoth who have large investments in phones that could simply be repaired with enough access.

I am thinking now to fork off a child process anytime I can capture root + "any_new_context"... This will be forked into a child process then kept in a loop. If there is a new root + context that happens along through toolbox, we will grab that also.. (but I won't grab two of the same for example root + system_server I just need once)
I am hoping I can control this loop from the command line but since I am not the caller of the process for which I am capturing I am not sure that would work. This is new code to me, not sure of any examples of something like this. If I have to control it through values I set in files it adds a little more time. The great news is I am not having binary size problems so I can add quite a bit of code while still keeping toolbox much less than the currently installed version on my Note 5. File size must match exactly otherwise patching causes seg fault and seg fault ruins the fun (reboot to cure but irritating)

anyway just needed to come up for air I have a ton done, need to get toolbox fired up to test angle.. any c programmers that want to help or anyone with awesome ideas please feel welcome I could use help

Do you have your toolbox on github? And is it commented decently? If so, I can look into helping with your code. I ask about comments because Ive not really looked into the whole. But if we figure out what parts samsung and at&t stripped down the AOSP toolbox, there could be a vector for completely patching the toolbox binary installed on our device.

Most root methods I see around, use busybox and su.

But our note 5 actually uses toolbox instead. Meaning, adapting a root method to use toolbox instead of busybox, eliminates that extra disk space taken up by the busybox binary, that needs to be patched in memory.

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
I needed to finish another piece of code before I started on toolbox, and that code is finished and on github. I need to be able to replace a list of files and know they are exact byte for byte, that's the code that I made available, which is in itself cool. Now I'm testing how to control the toolbox loop but so far if I get input from the command line the child executes one task then dies. I don't really want to fork fork fork fork things.. I need better control logic. soon i will solve it then upload a great starting point

edit: I realized there is places I can post snippets of code.. Here's the code I'm playing with but please realize some things may not work, not belong or I may have started making variables I never used.. (this is the pile of code I am using for testing).
I test code in Ubuntu first otherwise there wouldn't be enough time in a day:
gcc -o fork_u fork_u.c
./fork_u
http://pastebin.com/7nFxGcnY
Update: It's not exiting after executing a command at all. I messed up that if statement that checks for x. I am not a C programmer by trade I took it in college 20 years ago. Now I'm relearning it, so be warned on that ;)

Last edited:

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
====>] We have changed directions back to replacing the bootloader see the next post [<====
I am exuberantly confident we can take the bootloader after the testing I've done today. This is the basics of the bootloader
https://www.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7-bootloader-lock-explained-you-might-not-get-aosp-after-all/

===>] I need someone to copy their bootloader in both locked/unlocked status so I can find what to change. [<===
I am starting to suspect I can't simply copy an unlocked bootloader from another device. I am fairly certain that I need to pull the sboot from the device, patch it and then push it back. I need to actually look at the source code and perform any steps it does as well, such as deleting stuff.
I need someone who is vulnerable to dirtycow with an unlocked version of the Note 5 to pull their sboot in locked/unlocked status. This means they would run the hack I'm using on their device, overwrite toolbox, dumpstate and app_process temporarily to pull the partition.

====>] Plan B is downgrading then attacking an earlier version of the phone [<====
I believe I can write the original sboot.bin and system.img to the Note 5 now to do a forced downgrade. If that is true we could be dealing with trying to root an Android 5.0 device instead of Android 6.0 .. This opens the door on a million exploits!!

Plan B is all I have for now let me know if anyone can help with Plan A

Last edited:

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
**** Warning **** This is the most dangerous developer tool I've seen in a very long time. You can easily smoke your device with this without even trying.

====>] farm-root updated for Note 5 [<====
Ok guys it works for recovery or boot. It will pull an image or push an image.
https://github.com/droidvoider/Note5-Root-Farmer

toolbox directory compressed for recovery and boot, matches above code
boot push / pull --- aosp toolbox directory
recovery push / pull --- aosp toolbox directory
-DFARM_BOOT changes from recovery to boot in the shared.c
-DFARM_PULL is for pulling in toolbox,c / bridge.c, no define means compile to push.
-DDEBUG is for logcat messages, recompile minus this option to reduce binary size a lot

===>] What was wrong? [<===
When I got this working at first a couple weeks ago I thought I checked the path but I didn't. That and the updates to dirtycow are the only differences between mine and freddies version. (except that I also added push boot.img)
partitions:
/dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/RECOVERY
/dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/BOOT
directory containing sym links: (shell is allowed to ls -la inside this directory and view partition links!)
/dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/

===>] So why can't we do this to the bootloader? [<===
I am now focusing just on this idea!!
Notes: I have a suspicion that if we used the bootloader from another device the numbers won't match, such as mac, and that will be permanent hard brick. I need someone to copy their bootloader partition both locked and unlocked using a tool I create for that purpose. (anyone got a friend who will help out?) Obviously this will not be an AT&T version.

===>] Basic instructions [<===
Download and unzip to a Ubuntu directory (android sdk + ndk needed)
Plug in your device and make sure you can adb shell
Add a screen lock pin to your device first
In terminal change to the directory first then make log
Open another terminal then you compile the sources for pushing or pulling as follows
make pull_boot, make pull_recovery, make_push_boot, make_push_recovery
You will be hung on "waiting for process to complete"
On your phone enter your pin, then go to settings, remove the screen lock pin..
close settings
On your phone again now go add back a lock screen pin.. close settings.
repeat the lockscreen thing it will go...

===<> Breaking my rule and playing with it now <>===
I tried boot.img altered with Assayed kitchen modified heavily but no changes, I think it was written back on reboot I bet recovery-from-boot.p really replaces this.
So I tried with recovery.img from Assayed kitchen modified heavily, I got a big blue error telling me to take my phone to AT&T
(if you get an error use heimdall to flash the specific file(s) or use odin to flash your AP file from the firmware.)

Continue Notes: I have confirmed I am replacing the boot.img and recovery.img completely freddie knocked it out of the park fellas. I have only tried heavily modified versions, I have not tried modifying the pulled version yet. If I flash anything not factory the phone has an error screen telling me to take it to at&t. pwr+vol. down I have to release and retry but eventually I get it to reboot, then download mode. Then simply flashing back what I replaced with farm-root gets me back up again.
If I flash recovery.img from t-mobile note 5 twrp it won't give me the error message until I attempt to enter recovery! After that it will always give the error. I tried putting twrp as the boot.img but that fails too, it does look like it almost loads something then I get the chain of trust error.

continuation of notes: I've still only tried heavily modified versions but I have unpacked the boot.img and recovery.img I've pulled, they are complete. If I flash recovery.img first then reboot without entering recovery it doesn't error. (until you enter recovery then it won't allow boot)... So instead I flashed boot.img also. Now boot.img isn't replaced on startup, I get the blue error message and this time I have to flash both recovery.img and boot.img to get the phone working again. (what does that mean?, mostly it confirms we wrote to both partitions which I have also confirmed through pulling / testing after writes) one thing is for sure this is a lot more fun then having nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aurey24 and Delgoth

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
Update on status:
I can hard code toolbox to replace a list of files that you create right now, I am confident this includes bootloader, system, and a ton more.. So if anyone wants to do the leg work and find out which partitions are which, gather up a file list to replace and deliver that to me (the text version not the real files) .. I will hard code that out for you.. (i think that's freedom for you, see later bye)... Everyone else please realize I am having fun.. I tried to write toolbox to read what to change from /data/local/tmp/ but as suspected it can't read from there.. Today I will try to use dumpstate to copy a file list to /data/cache so that I can read it as install_recovery.
--- When I read what to change from a file we just need one toolbox for everything.. (no more separate toolboxes)
--- When I can communicate with toolbox in this manner I can move on to the next tool which is controlling the loop

Update:
toolbox is very limited on what it can open for reading if anyone is working on another project following along here for ideas you need to use the farm-root bridge idea. and by that I do mean even patching arbitrary file tests have failed now also, so there will be no eliminating bridge/dumpstate process

Updated again: Haven't had a tremendous amount of time to play lately but I sat down and tested my way through my final idea for farm-root. Bridge reads what to pull/push from a text file and then also pushes a text file to cache/recovery for toolbox to read. The file will have the dd if/of statements. Instead of performing 1 operation bridge will loop it will either wait..pull...wait or push...wait..push.. toolbox dd pulls or dd writes, waits for bridge and they loop between one another doing the work.
(still uncertain about dealing with 4gb file size but I realized that I don't need a sig verification. So I can unpack system, make it quite small then repack. This should smash down the version problem then we will need to do a follow flash of OJ1 AP, CP, CSC files...)
....thanks for your help with things lately @Delgoth you've hurtled this project ahead and are likely the reason it's here at all. I'm not forgetting the other things you mentioned I'm just at a wait and see pattern on what we need to force this downgrade, then get root

Last edited:
Update on status:
I can hard code toolbox to replace a list of files that you create right now, I am confident this includes bootloader, system, and a ton more.. So if anyone wants to do the leg work and find out which partitions are which, gather up a file list to replace and deliver that to me (the text version not the real files) .. I will hard code that out for you.. (i think that's freedom for you, see later bye)... Everyone else please realize I am having fun.. I tried to write toolbox to read what to change from /data/local/tmp/ but as suspected it can't read from there.. Today I will try to use dumpstate to copy a file list to /data/cache so that I can read it as install_recovery.
--- When I read what to change from a file we just need one toolbox for everything.. (no more separate toolboxes)
--- When I can communicate with toolbox in this manner I can move on to the next tool which is controlling the loop

Update:
toolbox is very limited on what it can open for reading if anyone is working on another project following along here for ideas you need to use the farm-root bridge idea. and by that I do mean even patching arbitrary file tests have failed now also, so there will be no eliminating bridge/dumpstate process

Updated again: Haven't had a tremendous amount of time to play lately but I sat down and tested my way through my final idea for farm-root. Bridge reads what to pull/push from a text file and then also pushes a text file to cache/recovery for toolbox to read. The file will have the dd if/of statements. Instead of performing 1 operation bridge will loop it will either wait..pull...wait or push...wait..push.. toolbox dd pulls or dd writes, waits for bridge and they loop between one another doing the work.
(still uncertain about dealing with 4gb file size but I realized that I don't need a sig verification. So I can unpack system, make it quite small then repack. This should smash down the version problem then we will need to do a follow flash of OJ1 AP, CP, CSC files...)
....thanks for your help with things lately @Delgoth you've hurtled this project ahead and are likely the reason it's here at all. I'm not forgetting the other things you mentioned I'm just at a wait and see pattern on what we need to force this downgrade, then get root

If toolbox is becoming limited, Toybox is also a partner binary that is used on the system beside toolbox.

Also if you can shrink the system partition and keep it persistent. You can shrink it from 4gb to 3.5 safely and then possibly reclaim that 500mb for your own private partition. My installed stock system uses 3.4gb of 4. That hidden partition should then remain even after a factory reset. As long as the device was not repartioned by odin or otherwise. Or as long as a new PIT isn't flashed.

This is where you can store your hacks, and have access to on device when first booting to recovery from a fresh flash.

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
toybox, good idea
I forgot about toybox when I get this code working I will rerun some of the test code on it to see how powerful it is.

New logic for root-farmer
root-farm will now only have 1 bridge and maybe 2 toolboxes (depending on final binary size for toolbox)

Now the files to PUSH/PULL are in a text file. Bridge copies it to cache and then toolbox can read it also.
PULL example: <= everything before the '|' is one execv command used by toolbox. => | <=== following this character is bridge copy leftvalue => | right value
of=/cache/recovery/bota0_pull.img if=/dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/BOTA0 bs=10m|cache/recovery/bota0_pull.img|/data/local/tmp/bota0_pull.img

So push will only push a files.txt, pull_files.txt/push_files.txt is copied to /data/local/tmp/ then bridge decides if this is a push or pull depending on the text file format. After that it's pretty much business as usually toolbox uses the dd command as root+install_recovery to over write or copy anything

This code snippets are not complete. They are meant to show you what I did to test my theories.
toolbox_working example
bridge will copy files.txt to /cache, toolbox will pick it up and then spit the contents out into logcat -- success
unfinished_test_code
that's the parsing, it echos the commands it doesn't actually dd anything.. but you can see it echo what it should be copying, or dd'ing.

updated (adding sources per a users request):
brdg.c.tar.gz == linux proof of concept for bridge, i make copies, test stuff from blocks of code like this then port to android

Attachments

• unfinished_test_code.tar.gz
    2.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Note5-Root-Farmer-master__working_test.tar.gz
    113.6 KB · Views: 222
  • brdg.c.tar.gz
    2.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
This morning something dawned on me. If I can write to the first partitions known to the computer worlds as MBR1 512kb limit MBR2 extended mbr.. Then I already own this device. Now I need twrp with the correct addresses for my device, I simple write twrp on the device and wipe the rest.
While I think that is true 100% I have different passions then simply winning. If anyone is willing to try it I will port farm-root over to point at those partitions instead, and also to replace them in one go.

Those waiting for the finished tool I get to play today a little since I had to work Sunday! we should have a template at minimum this evening. I'm adding to sources one is the partitial conversion it will be called Android_Dirtycow_root_farmer from now on.. (because it isn't specific to any device any more it will work with any 64bit dirtycow vulnerable device)
the test zip?, man I forgot what I tested with that just type make test and watch logcat.. tests are always safe, reboot afterwards though.

Attachments

• Android_Dirtycow_Root_Farmer.tar.gz
    10 KB · Views: 134
  • test-and-dc-root-farmer-copies-files.txt-only.tar.gz
    119.4 KB · Views: 98

droidvoider

Dec 22, 2016
California
Tool is working!!!
Android 64 bit universal dirtycow dd image write works for both push/pull.. I am tired so please see github readme, the Makefile and push_files.txt, pull_files.txt examples. I am going to get root, this is the first step.
https://github.com/droidvoider/Android_6.01__DD_Dcow

More info on it
I updated this thread with some info first/last posts only
https://xdaforums.com/note5/general...g-dirtycow-t3559637/post71102343#post71102343

What about root right now?
If I can get system_server + root, then switch to install_recovery + root I can fork both these processes away and send commands to them through a text file just like I sent the options for push/pull. This code wasn't only to eliminate the need for multiple toolbox / bridge binaries.. It was to create a command shell that I can issue any command. Remember my examples above?
.....Work study: take the examples I created and create a loop that doesn't close but instead waits for changes to a text file. Then execv those changes returning to wait again for more changes.

I have to be away for 1 to 4 weeks I just found out.. I might be able to check messages, I dunno. not away but same as.. have fun

Im going to go over all this, this weekend. Hopefully I can work out what data to write.

If we can patch /sbin/sverifysignature then we maybe able to disable the sig check. Right now my device is without a DT_Hash, I have busybox installed and linked to /system/xbin

I also have the su binary in xbin but its not linked so apps dont know it's there. But they both persist through reboots no problem. I am currently half way rooted, with zero hiccups so far.

Im close but im running 5.1.1 with an eng kernel and eng sboot. I dont currently have a CSC installed.

The problems im running into are that most apps have always done root the same way, the way that doesnt work on this device. Root is possible, but the age old standard root injection doesnt fly here, we have to do it manually this time because the standard root install scripts expect privs we dont have in certain places. That doesnt mean we can't root, it just means we have to edit the scripts and run them from some place other than TWRP. Which is still possible.

Last edited:
So here is what I have:

Dm Verity verification failed... Message when entering recovery. No effect on operation.

ADB root on boot, and when charging offline.

Busybox 1.22 fully linked from /system/xbin

Chainfire supersu 2.76 su binary placed in /system/xbin unlinked, I dont know how to link it like I did with busy box.

Even though dm verity fails, I can mount the entire filesystem read/write, and all my changes are still in place after normal reboot. I can modify my system and dm verity does NOT undo my changes. I can even pull my boot img from /dev/block/sda5

What do I have in my hands right now?

Attachments

• General.png
    General.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Firmware.png
    Firmware.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Android.png
    Android.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 263

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    root
    freddierice's trident actually does give a root shell!! dirtycow is the old version in that example and it doesn't always work, but if you try a few times in row it eventually works and we have root!! It not only is giving root IT IS INJECTING THE SEPOLICY. So trident uses a customized dirtycow_memcpy function, it's really not hard from what I see and I am attempting to move that function to the new dirtycow structure. I am not having a hard time reading dirtycow.c like when this all started so hopefully today we will get trident updated, root shell happening, sepolicy injection workng!!

excited yet? i am vibrating, I just got a root shell!! couldn't do anything yet, we need an sepolicy to inject...

Moving toward custom rom
    I have some ideas mixed with several suggestions. Someone recently told me a solution to avoid having the system rebuild at boot and it is closed source. It is powerful, he had something mixed up a little but when I try I get all kinds of stuff, android setting up again, and etc.. (promising, this is a ways off) --- this is the end game
    really?! ive tryed trident so many times and nothing....im on sept sec patch.
    I'm using an incredibly large hammer..

ROOT!!!
    https://github.com/droidvoider/trident

1. Download it., unzip it, open two terminals one for log.
    2. type make log in one of the terminals
    3. pull your current sepolicy to the current directory in the other terminal: adb pull /sepolicy
    4. open settings on your phone, go to connections, mobile hotspots and get ready to follow instructions in the make log window
    5. make run (follow instructions)
    6. when it says so, make reverse
    7. when it says so, make connect

Notes:
    There is no prompt after 'make connect' --- you are connected try typing ls
    You didn't update your sepolicy so you are very limited what you can do.. try cd /sbin and then try cat watchdogd <----- see, we are rooted
    If you do ctrl-c to terminate something, you need to type 'make connect' again

Further notes:
    freddierice warns us that the INIT_OFFSET may be incorrect, if that's true it isn't reloading the sepolicy.. have fun with root for now while I check this out further.
    Major update!
    1. I have debugged the tool heavily and it appears to me that I can replace any file on the system. Testing files you can't normally read is done via code so it's slow going, let me know if you find any blocks now.
    2. If you have any file that gives an error but then replaces, that's because it tried other contexts.. PUT THIS ACTION AS THE LAST ENTRY, it might not be changing back to install_recovery from some contexts
    3) the su install thing is designed to give an error I didn't even try to get root with this, literally focused on getting the tool done only.
    4) next is a console of sorts, with exec dcow patching.. muahahaha
    https://github.com/droidvoider/CVE-2016-5195_GreyhatRootProject_Root_Console

update on progress
    I have been working and when I work I can't really create new tools. I have been reading, small tweaks to current tools only today
    .. learning selinux, anyone wanting to see how it works check this area of aosp
    AOSP_Sources/Android_6.01_r1/external/selinux/libselinux/src
    AOSP_Sources/Android_6.01_r1/external/sepolicy
    I'm having trouble unpacking my system.img.ext4 , if anyone can unpack my stock system.img.ext4 and place a su binary in the xbin folder, I can permantely root any phone that is dirty cow vulnerable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6tEApjkJtRMkNmZjBjYTJiVjA/view?usp=sharing

this is the system.img.ext4 image file that I need customized, throw me a bone haha
    Because you know I love my ppl, I'll open it on my linux box add su and recompile, however, md5 check sum will be throwing you errors and I hope you know that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    I worked on a SuperSu 2.79 script last night that got me halfway rooted through ADB shell.

I'll iron it out some more today and post it. I've been up since this time yesterday on my pc. These are exciting times.

Awesome! I have an idea to pipe the output from applypatch to stderr or a log file at worst. The variables are getting to be too many for me to simply work through it inside my head now. I have been blessed until Tuesday I am super busy. But any free time I have I always devote to Android now. (by the way I set that default wait to be 0 on the github repo, not needed in my testing the code is working)

<removed bootloader idea, it failed on write.. now that's behind us we can move on unless I figure a way past that>