FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Can't install APK files outside of Play Store?

97 posts
Thanks Meter: 2
 
By pedrovay2003, Member on 14th February 2020, 05:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I recently upgraded from an Android 7 phone (Moto G5) to an Android 9 phone (Moto G7). I like to back up all of my apps that I plan on using in the future, using a backup app like ML Manager, and installing them locally with a file browser, like FX. On my new phone, there are some APK backups that I can't install from a file browser; even if I actually download them though the Google Play Store, back them up, uninstall them, and then try to install that backup on the same phone, it won't work. Not every app does this, and at first, I thought it was only paid apps that were giving me problems, so I chalked it up to DRM, but a bunch of free apps won't work, either.

I've tried alternate methods of installation, too, like using a terminal emulator (see the screenshot, using the app Manual Camera as an example), and ADB on a PC, which results in an INSTALL_FAILED_VERIFICATION_FAILURE error. I've searched for this error and followed directions, like disabling Play Protect (which I never enabled on this phone, anyway), but nothing works. Is this just how Android is now? Did something change so that it's harder to install backups? I tried all of this on my wife's phone, too, which also runs Android 9, and I got the same errors. Any help would be appreciated, because I'm out of ideas. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200213-163145.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	4950433  
14th February 2020, 05:46 PM |#2  
amirizad_7436's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 93
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrovay2003

I recently upgraded from an Android 7 phone (Moto G5) to an Android 9 phone (Moto G7). I like to back up all of my apps that I plan on using in the future, using a backup app like ML Manager, and installing them locally with a file browser, like FX. On my new phone, there are some APK backups that I can't install from a file browser; even if I actually download them though the Google Play Store, back them up, uninstall them, and then try to install that backup on the same phone, it won't work. Not every app does this, and at first, I thought it was only paid apps that were giving me problems, so I chalked it up to DRM, but a bunch of free apps won't work, either.

I've tried alternate methods of installation, too, like using a terminal emulator (see the screenshot, using the app Manual Camera as an example), and ADB on a PC, which results in an INSTALL_FAILED_VERIFICATION_FAILURE error. I've searched for this error and followed directions, like disabling Play Protect (which I never enabled on this phone, anyway), but nothing works. Is this just how Android is now? Did something change so that it's harder to install backups? I tried all of this on my wife's phone, too, which also runs Android 9, and I got the same errors. Any help would be appreciated, because I'm out of ideas. Thanks in advance!

Some apps are different for noghat and pie Android
So there is no grantee that you can install all APK that you backed up on noghat for pie
Download them from Google
It should completely work
Make sure that you have free space on internal storage and when you wanna download them make sure that download arm/arm64 version
14th February 2020, 11:18 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Sandy, Utah
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirizad_7436

Some apps are different for noghat and pie Android
So there is no grantee that you can install all APK that you backed up on noghat for pie
Download them from Google
It should completely work
Make sure that you have free space on internal storage and when you wanna download them make sure that download arm/arm64 version

Yeah, downloading from the Play Store definitely works, I'm just curious as to why backing up an app downloaded from the Play Store won't install from the APK *on the exact same device.* I'm a stickler for keeping local backups of everything, but I'm more curious than anything at this point.
15th February 2020, 01:17 AM |#4  
amirizad_7436's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 93
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrovay2003

Yeah, downloading from the Play Store definitely works, I'm just curious as to why backing up an app downloaded from the Play Store won't install from the APK *on the exact same device.* I'm a stickler for keeping local backups of everything, but I'm more curious than anything at this point.

Well there is a another reason
That is some app install with APK
And other one install with APKS
which you should install them with SAI and have two or three file to install (even more)
And when you backup from apks apps it doesn't backup all files to install it again
But at play store it install automatically
Yesterday, 07:23 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Sandy, Utah
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirizad_7436

Well there is a another reason
That is some app install with APK
And other one install with APKS
which you should install them with SAI and have two or three file to install (even more)
And when you backup from apks apps it doesn't backup all files to install it again
But at play store it install automatically

Holy crap, dude, I had NO idea that split APKs were a thing. I downloaded Split APK Installer from the Play Store, and I can make and restore local backups again. Thank you so much for the info, it was exactly what I needed!
Yesterday, 10:56 AM |#6  
amirizad_7436's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 93
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrovay2003

Holy crap, dude, I had NO idea that split APKs were a thing. I downloaded Split APK Installer from the Play Store, and I can make and restore local backups again. Thank you so much for the info, it was exactly what I needed!

Happy that it helped
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes